2019 Fan Expo Canada Marvel Panel - Amazon Alpha Flight Boxset Revealed

JayC

56 minutes ago, mako said:

Keep in mind, MY version of Box is the Madison Jeffries version. Using his mechamorphic powers he made Box whatever he wanted, Bigger, smaller, even an aircraft on at least one occasion.

And don't force me to bust out guys like Hulk or Thor who are always depicted WAY to big in plastic, or guys like Galactus and Giant Man who come off smaller.

Moral: It's toys, scale is relative.

Dude, have you gone totally mental? You're usually one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum when it comes to 80's - 90's Marvel history. True, I did assume we were talking about original Box, and for the record, Box II is my personal too, but never has he been portrayed Hulkbuster size. I'll entertain maybe he could be the same height, but he is much thinner in his non-transformed state. Using te Sasquatch BAF is pointless as we all know he's way too small. Sure, Box can grow to Buster size (and far beyond) as Jefferies is a technomorph, but are you actually suggesting a BAF of a character in mid transformation?

And for the record I'm not totally pleased with the size of Galactus or Giant Man, particularly. Both are too small but those are just victims of circumstance. An actual in scale Giant Man would be human size and Galactus would be as big as your house. Those are just scales you have to deal with based on pure restriction. It's not perfect but it's some kinda representation. And don't even get me started on the MCU Giant Man. He doesn't exist outside the storage bin in my house. I'll always just display Scott as Ant-Man.

Moral: scale is super important and Hulk and Thor being too big is really inconsequential. By official Marvel data they are a bit large, but making a character like Box way too big is not the answer. The answer is to get as many figures in proper scale (to each other) as often as you can and whenever at all possible, and deal with outliers like Galactus, Sentinels and Giant Man as just that, outliers.

Now you're gonna make me be "picture uploaded guy"

alphaflight-era03.jpg

alphaflight-era01.jpg

I may be wrong but I feel that the original classic Box is the most iconic version of the character & that will be the version we get in ML figure form. The Madison Jeffries version is more Transformers looking & was probably influenced by the show at the time. I guess to some, scale is irrelevant & they don't care much if Thor is made in the 8' scale but to me, scale is very important & I will simply not buy a figure if it's scaled incorrectly. I'm not talking bout giant sized characters such as Sentinels, Kree Sentries, Giant man, Big G, etc. IMO, making a large sized character at minimum, 12' tall would be sufficient for me as Sentinels range in various hgts from man sized to 100ft tall as the O.N.E. Sentinels are. I prefer the DOFP Byrne Sentinels who were in the 20ft range, it seems like the perfect hgt for these robotic Terminators on roids. The TB 16' Sentinels are outstanding but I know we'll probably never get 16' scaled ML figures ever again, but 12' scaled DOFP classic Sentinels is very doable IMO, They can either be BAFs or Amazon exclusives.  Putting a character such as the Wrecker, who's 6'3 onto the outdated 2010 T-bird buck was just Hasbro phoning in the wrecking crew. None of them are 8 footers. This looks horrible & the classic WC needs to be redone on the new 80th anniv Thor & Manbun Herc bucks

Wrecker outta scale.jpg

2 hours ago, Gigantor said:

I may be wrong but I feel that the original classic Box is the most iconic version of the character & that will be the version we get in ML figure form. The Madison Jeffries version is more Transformers looking & was probably influenced by the show at the time. I guess to some, scale is irrelevant & they don't care much if Thor is made in the 8' scale but to me, scale is very important & I will simply not buy a figure if it's scaled incorrectly. I'm not talking bout giant sized characters such as Sentinels, Kree Sentries, Giant man, Big G, etc. IMO, making a large sized character at minimum, 12' tall would be sufficient for me as Sentinels range in various hgts from man sized to 100ft tall as the O.N.E. Sentinels are. I prefer the DOFP Byrne Sentinels who were in the 20ft range, it seems like the perfect hgt for these robotic Terminators on roids. The TB 16' Sentinels are outstanding but I know we'll probably never get 16' scaled ML figures ever again, but 12' scaled DOFP classic Sentinels is very doable IMO, They can either be BAFs or Amazon exclusives.  Putting a character such as the Wrecker, who's 6'3 onto the outdated 2010 T-bird buck was just Hasbro phoning in the wrecking crew. None of them are 8 footers. This looks horrible & the classic WC needs to be redone on the new 80th anniv Thor & Manbun Herc bucks

Wrecker outta scale.jpg

I'm with you on that. The Wreckers looked really good but it seemed like scale was no consideration. IMO the whole crew and others like that huge Modern Thor need to be scrapped. Technically they shoulda been somewhere in the Hyperion or Odinson buck range. I think Hasbro is FINALLY starting to reign in the scale rollercoaster. Some think the new Thor/Cap/IM 80 years figures are still too big but I think it's much better than they have been so far. And it's something I can personally deal with. They at least match the other figures based on most artists interpretations lately.

As for Jefferies Box it seems like some people's concern is that if it's ever made it will be another 'mailed in' effort done on an existing buck. I personally don't share that concern cuz historically they've never really been too squemish about creating all new bucks for BAFs, and to my recollection very few BAFs have been reuses. There are a few that could easily be re-used such as the Titus/Space Venom or Caliban buck but the cases are few. On the flip side, I have no issue if they would retool and repaint the Kree Sentry BAF to represent Box II. If you woulda put a Box head sculpt on that thing and repaint it maroon & silver one would have a hard time convincing me that it wasn't specifically made to be him. I mean, that whole Kree Sentry thing was so random and far stretching in the first place. Is there anyone that wasn't scratching their head when that thing popped up. We couldn't get a Mar-Vell or classic Ms. Marvel in that wave yet they pulled this thing out of their ayasses? As is the case with the MCU Giant Man, that Sentry doesn't even exist in my collection.

Ultimately I think he will be done and it will be an all new buck. We just gotta keep on them about it.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:36 AM, bashpics99 said:

They seem to be going alphabetically, so here's hoping Brotherhood of Evil Mutants is next!!  

(i'm conveniently ignoring the Defenders box set)

I'm not sure where youre  getting "alphabetically" from, there's no solid evidence for that. As you yourself point out, Defenders box set has already been out and Alpha Flight was just released. By the by Defenders from the comics is basically done too...although I really prefer Dr Strange with his tunic shirt as opposed to the form fitting "superhero" top, and although Valkyrie's been done twice now, would like to see her done by modern Hasbro. They've also been steadily pumping out Serpent Society members, and the original Guardians of the Galaxy might be betting done too. We've already got Major Vance Astro in both 6" and 4" scale, and Yondu in 4". I don't expect these others will be box set....but wouldn't it be a nice surprise? One thing though, Hasbro: DO NOT make it a WALMART Exclusive! PLEASE!!

Thor-Ragnarok-Marvel-Legends-2-Pack21__scaled_600.jpg

DrStrange01.jpg

14 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

I'm not sure where youre  getting "alphabetically" from, there's no solid evidence for that. As you yourself point out, Defenders box set has already been out and Alpha Flight was just released. By the by Defenders from the comics is basically done too...although I really prefer Dr Strange with his tunic shirt as opposed to the form fitting "superhero" top, and although Valkyrie's been done twice now, would like to see her done by modern Hasbro. They've also been steadily pumping out Serpent Society members, and the original Guardians of the Galaxy might be betting done too. We've already got Major Vance Astro in both 6" and 4" scale, and Yondu in 4". I don't expect these others will be box set....but wouldn't it be a nice surprise? One thing though, Hasbro: DO NOT make it a WALMART Exclusive! PLEASE!!

DrStrange01.jpg

Dude the alphabet thing was a joke. Also they are forgetting the GOTG box set as well.

13 hours ago, Atlantis said:

DrStrange01.jpg

As others have pointed out, the alphabetical bit was a joke.  I'm not sure how that was unclear.  Besides, everyone knows Annihilators would come before the Brotherhood.  We need Quasar and that random Galadorian spacekinght woman, STAT

Also, the topic was box sets, not hasbro's team building efforts in general.  That said, hasbro's efforts to produce the Serpent Society are pretty much a joke -  let me know when they move on from the Rock Pythons on the team to actually making Sidewinder, Anaconda, Death Adder,  Black Mamba.  As it stands, you've got Eel, Cottonmouth,  Rock Python and then some debatable members in King Cobra, Constrictor, and Madame Hyrda (I guess??) 

in terms of  the original GotG, would be nice but i don't expect to see any more members until GotG3.. and even then i'm dubious since Vance wasn't exactly a huge seller (although i do like the figure!). If i had to guess i'd predict Starhawk next since  A) he's kinda cool looking and B) they re-use the recent storm figure's "cape" design and otherwise the figure is just repainting an existing buck and adding a new head.

Agree we could use a new Valkyrie figure and that the  "classic" Defenders roster is pretty much done, depending on how you feel about Son of Satan

8 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

Also, the topic was box sets, not hasbro's team building efforts in general.  That said, hasbro's efforts to produce the Serpent Society are pretty much a joke -  let me know when they move on from the Rock Pythons on the team to actually making Sidewinder, Anaconda, Death Adder,  Black Mamba.  As it stands, you've got Eel, Cottonmouth,  Rock Python and then some debatable members in King Cobra, Constrictor, and Madame Hyrda (I guess??)

While Constrictor and Madame Hydra (who was viper)  are debatable, King Cobra not only was a main member of the group, he led it for the longest time. 

14 minutes ago, tarot said:

While Constrictor and Madame Hydra (who was viper)  are debatable, King Cobra not only was a main member of the group, he led it for the longest time. 

Fair enough. i tend to think of Cobra as being Mr Hyde's partner and as Sidewinder being head of the Serp Society but that's probably just a function of my skipping comics from the late 80s to about 2000.

On 8/24/2019 at 11:32 PM, monron999 said:

We can make this happen. Much like (I like to think) we made Strong Guy happen I'm sure they've also heard the calls for Nimrod, Box and others. I mean even in this own set it's pretty clear they heard, loud and clear, the complaints about Puck's pea head. If we keep pushing for Box it will happen. Before, with very few Alpha Flight characters altogether, there was really no reason to call for him, but now that we have a large part of the team together we pretty much need him, and Marina as well. So as long as waves need BAFs and the bullpin of eligible characters gets smaller and smaller and if we can keep making it a point to request him I think we can make it happen. Me personally, I plan to blast that horn every chance I get, right after Nimrod, of course.

Man, I hope so. I've got to believe that sometimes - just sometimes - Hasbro does some ad hoc research to get an understanding of how their core market is responding to new product by trawling social media & fan sites. If they have (or do in the future) they'll know this set went down really well (pre-ordered mine the day it was available).

As you say, there's logic there, and the Alpha Flight set itself proves demand. He's a bit obscure, but I do think collectors would take Box over GotG Titus (euuuu), MCU Smart Hulk, MCU Molten Man or even the Lizard. I think if a BAF looks cool, even if you don't know the character, you buy the whole wave. And if it looks cool and is an essential figure for completists, it's a no-brainer. Box nails it on both fronts: either the classic. big, chunky badass robot in a leotard, or Jim Lee's elegant, compact and dynamic version.

If you did #pleasemakeBox, would that work/help, for instance?

4 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

Fair enough. i tend to think of Cobra as being Mr Hyde's partner and as Sidewinder being head of the Serp Society but that's probably just a function of my skipping comics from the late 80s to about 2000.

The 1980's Serpent Society were really kinda cool. For a bit. I guess their heyday ran from 1984 to 1989 or so (problem with comic collecting in the UK was that the dates on the comics bore no relation to actual dates - so, if my dates are wonky, bear that as mitigation!). Mainly they were built up in Captain America, but were often used wherever an easily beatable set of foes was needed. Conspiracy theorists may also note the prime era of the Serpent Society coincided with the introduction of Serpentor in GI Joe....

After this, they just faded a bit, and more useful, individual characters  (Diamondback, Constrictor) were pushed instead. I have no idea if they are dead or alive in current continuity (or this week's version thereof).

The gimmick died for me when they turned up in Uncanny X-Men annual (1988/1989) as part of the 'Atlantis Attacks' arc. The only part that I remember is the following exchange between Boomslang and Wolverine:

Logan: Another one. What's yer name, bub?

Boomslang: Uhhhn......Boomslang.

Logan: Uh-huh. And what do you do?

Boomslang: I throw metal balls, and little snakes come out of them.

That may not be verbatim, but give me a break: this (meaningless) exchange is being paraphrased from a comic I haven't even looked at for 30 years.

#pleasemakeBox

Lando Tucker states:  "but I do think collectors would take Box over GotG Titus (euuuu), MCU Smart Hulk, MCU Molten Man or even the Lizard. I think if a BAF looks cool, even if you don't know the character, you buy the whole wave. And if it looks cool and is an essential figure for completists, it's a no-brainer. Box nails it on both".

I concur 100%.I'd also add Spy/der or whatever that thing is called.  I can think of at least half a dozen better known, more popular characters that rated a BAF before most of the ones you listed. Classic Box would be one of them.

More than pumped to get this set and was super surprised when news broke last Friday afternoon as I wasn't expecting anything else new this year, let alone a big release like this. I already pre-ordered. Did y'all remember to check the "Ship in Amazon packaging" option? (I didn't initially because I didn't know what it meant and then there was no way to edit that option, so I canceled and then reordered.)

Shaman was the one I was hoping for most. I also thought they would use the Forge boots but they didn't. But now that I checked his classic look, his boots aren't like that anyway but are like Capt America boots but with a split down the middle of the cuff.

The Puck re-issue is welcome too so we can actually have him. 

I wanted Box as well, preferably the original/classic blue version of him. The red/gold version is too similar to Iron Man/Hulkbuster. And I wanted Wild Child too. And yes, Box is not that tall. A figure around the size of the recent Legends Thing would be right.

I will put one of my Wolverines with this team too. We have enough Wolverines for every team. 😁

We still need a bigger 10" Sasquatch! With enraged head is great idea from bashpics99. But I'll hold off on that gripe since Hasbro has been so good to us lately.

On 8/25/2019 at 9:19 AM, monron999 said:

Dude, have you gone totally mental? You're usually one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum when it comes to 80's - 90's Marvel history. True, I did assume we were talking about original Box, and for the record, Box II is my personal too, but never has he been portrayed Hulkbuster size. I'll entertain maybe he could be the same height, but he is much thinner in his non-transformed state. Using te Sasquatch BAF is pointless as we all know he's way too small. Sure, Box can grow to Buster size (and far beyond) as Jefferies is a technomorph, but are you actually suggesting a BAF of a character in mid transformation?

And for the record I'm not totally pleased with the size of Galactus or Giant Man, particularly. Both are too small but those are just victims of circumstance. An actual in scale Giant Man would be human size and Galactus would be as big as your house. Those are just scales you have to deal with based on pure restriction. It's not perfect but it's some kinda representation. And don't even get me started on the MCU Giant Man. He doesn't exist outside the storage bin in my house. I'll always just display Scott as Ant-Man.

Moral: scale is super important and Hulk and Thor being too big is really inconsequential. By official Marvel data they are a bit large, but making a character like Box way too big is not the answer. The answer is to get as many figures in proper scale (to each other) as often as you can and whenever at all possible, and deal with outliers like Galactus, Sentinels and Giant Man as just that, outliers.

Now you're gonna make me be "picture uploaded guy"

alphaflight-era03.jpg

alphaflight-era01.jpg

Could not resist some uploads either. It’s a pity the base figures back in the day were not as good as today… 

AFD2A0FA-E385-4E14-AA3B-849440E37ADD.jpeg

BA1148DD-6489-4782-932D-844BCD34B9E1.jpeg

19309D9E-201F-4D43-9AB0-D3C2821BCDE2.jpeg

3B70A495-8E5E-4EBD-92D6-8731F3DC13E7.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:12 PM, genjoke said:

Too late. I had some of them customized and them customized the rest  of alpha flight myself more than a decade ago… would love to see the original Guardians of the Galaxy though. 

D336FA80-918C-4E58-81E2-966F45B6E70C.jpeg

I will say that this Snowbird looks more accurate than the one going up on Amazon. Her outfit is "sky" blue, not the deeper blue they use, and this headsculpt also looks closer to the comic than what theyre doing. So, good on ya! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm in the minority in this but I'm pretty happy these are the characters we are getting since the Alpha Flight I'm most familiar with is their first appearance on Uncanny X-men 120 and the 1992 cartoon. Granted those incarnations didn't include Heather Hudson in costume but I'll take it as a bonus. That's not to say if they make a Box or a Marina I won't get them but as it is I'm happy with what we are getting. 

12 minutes ago, belmont13 said:

I know I'm in the minority in this but I'm pretty happy these are the characters we are getting since the Alpha Flight I'm most familiar with is their first appearance on Uncanny X-men 120 and the 1992 cartoon. Granted those incarnations didn't include Heather Hudson in costume but I'll take it as a bonus. That's not to say if they make a Box or a Marina I won't get them but as it is I'm happy with what we are getting. 

Minority?! dude pretty much everybody is bouncing off the walls for this set. They are only saying that they hope we get Box and Marrina eventually. Not that they are disappointed they are not included.

I respect that they are covering all bases with all characters within the Marvel realm which is great, I hope they do more MCU characters, revisiting the old films from phase one till 3, Obadiah Stane and Iron Monger would be great, redo the Iron Man armors 1-6 to be more Legends size, and the first War Machine would be dope!

Yeah i've only seen a few complaints about this set, mainly

A) lack of accessories - although honestly doesn't feel like most of these characters would need them anyhow> of course you can always use more alternate heads but otherwise really just an animal for snowbird to change into and a pair of grasping hands for Aurora/Northstar would do it

B) cost - people either thinking $110 is too much (??) or who just can't drop that amount at once and wish the figures were staggered out more (??). Both of these gripes seem kinda out there to me, especially since there is a t least a decent chance the set gets marked down at some point.

C) minor nitpicks about one or more figures appearance - Aurora not pretty enough,  Vindicators weird maple leaf, etc.  But you get those types of complains about every marvel legend that hasbro puts out.

I don't plan on picking up the set myself but think it is great for AF fans and hope they will tackle more small teams in this manner in the future.