2019 Fan Expo Canada Marvel Panel - Amazon Alpha Flight Boxset Revealed

JayC

I'm not seeing how this set is too expensive. The average price for these figures is around $20/25.00 these days; you're getting 6 figures that have been highly sought after for years, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who feared some of these would NEVER see the light of day. Now, we're getting them all, in one shot? Yeah, I can see room for improvement; Heather's flag emblem looks a bit sloppy, just like Guardian's was ( and I'm still griping about not using a metallic red for him), and there are plenty of model heads they could have used for Snowbird instead of what we're seeing....but overall, this is a good deal. Rejoice!

so glad to see Alpha Flight...can't wait for this Christmas present to myself...LOL.

I hope this box set is indicative of other such sets coming out.

Would love to see:  90's Original New Warriors to go with our Night Thrasher, an Infinity Watch with comic book versions of Drax and Gamora along with Adam Warlock, Pip the Troll, and Moondragon,

1 hour ago, Batbishop said:

I hope Hasbro does more sets like this.

A good, and fairly easy set to do: Invaders. Cap /w triangular shield, Sub-Mariner (w/ squinty eyes maybe), Human Torch (no face, translucent), Toro, Bucky, Baron Blood, Warrior Woman! Toss in either Miss America or Spitfire and good to go.

I pre-ordered mine when it first became available. Hasbro is really knocking out my want list from a few years ago. Blink. A decent Mystique. Dr, Doom done right. Sauron. I cannot believe there is a Sauron sitting on my shelf staring me down. And now Alpha Flight. I didn't get that Puck back when because I was hoping something like this might happen. Thank you, Hasbro!!

13 hours ago, Atlantis said:

A good, and fairly easy set to do: Invaders. Cap /w triangular shield, Sub-Mariner (w/ squinty eyes maybe), Human Torch (no face, translucent), Toro, Bucky, Baron Blood, Warrior Woman! Toss in either Miss America or Spitfire and good to go.

I would buy that in a heart beat! Especially if they include a Golden Age Vision. 

13 hours ago, ToodlesMrJim said:

I want a generation x multi pack.

My problem would be narrowing it down to team members... My musts would have include chamber and penance.

I'd really like a Gen X pack, too. I think Hasbro was able to justify the cost of these figures with a smaller, but ardent, demand because these figures are mostly repaints with no accessories. There's not a lot original here, which keeps the price down. I am not complaining at all. I'm really glad Hasbro was able to make it work. I think GenX might be tougher though. Box would be a whole new sculpt. I guess Chamber might just get away with a new head. I guess they would have to do a new torso, too. Penance? Magic has some S&M outfit but she's probably too small. That would mean another all, or at least mostly, new sculpts. The Invaders would probably be a lot easier. I'd some flames sculpted on Torch but they would probably just go with black paint marks, unless they just did a re-release of the Walgreen Torch with a new head.

4 hours ago, Glorifice said:

This is so dope I would love a new X-Men: First Class box set throw some boots on iceman, new tooling for Angels wings anyone? anyone? 

Articulated arms and legs for Beast? Angel and Cyclops in smaller teenage bodies? Count me in!

4 hours ago, Glorifice said:

This is so dope I would love a new X-Men: First Class box set throw some boots on iceman, new tooling for Angels wings anyone? anyone? 

I would be 100% in for the original team in their original uniforms.  I'd also take the second iterations from issue 4 (I think) onward where the sides of the torsos are blue instead of yellow.  I'm not interested in any of the revisionist versions of those uniforms though, e.g., the ones the All-New teens brought to present day by Beast wore, or the ones worn in the First Class comic.

40 minutes ago, MonsterChris said:

I would be 100% in for the original team in their original uniforms.  I'd also take the second iterations from issue 4 (I think) onward where the sides of the torsos are blue instead of yellow.  I'm not interested in any of the revisionist versions of those uniforms though, e.g., the ones the All-New teens brought to present day by Beast wore, or the ones worn in the First Class comic.

I think the ones I'd prefer are the ones worn in the FC comic 😅

3 hours ago, memocromatico said:

I think the ones I'd prefer are the ones worn in the FC comic 😅

They're certainly cool-looking uniforms, I'm just a sucker for the classics.  Plus, I could never get into the title.  This may have changed, but last I checked the official word was that it was supposed to be set in the 616.  Trying to shoehorn the stories into main continuity gave me a headache!

2 hours ago, MonsterChris said:

This may have changed, but last I checked the official word was that it was supposed to be set in the 616.  Trying to shoehorn the stories into main continuity gave me a headache!

I asked Jeff Parker (writer of X-Men First Class) years ago about First Class and if it was in 616 continuity. He said that he wrote it so that it didn’t contradict 616 continuity (other than references to modern technology) but that it was up to Marvel to say if was in 616 continuity. He said it was not a mandate given to him for it to be in continuity. He said he wrote it to not contradict because he felt that’s how it should be handled. 

I never saw (that I can remember) an official statement from Marvel on if it was in 616 canon or not. Around that time Marvel was kind of throwing stuff at the wall and if it stuck it was integrated into 616 and if it didn’t stick they didn’t. 

The Marvel Chronology Project considers  X-Men: First Class to be non-canon. I’m not sure if that’s because Marvel explicitly said it or if the stories literally couldn’t fit into continuity. 

All this talk about past X-Men books reminds me of another book I loved - “X-Men: The Hidden Years”. That series was amazing. I’m still a little aggravated at Marvel for cancelling it

10 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

I asked Jeff Parker (writer of X-Men First Class) years ago about First Class and if it was in 616 continuity. He said that he wrote it so that it didn’t contradict 616 continuity (other than references to modern technology) but that it was up to Marvel to say if was in 616 continuity. He said it was not a mandate given to him for it to be in continuity. He said he wrote it to not contradict because he felt that’s how it should be handled. 

I never saw (that I can remember) an official statement from Marvel on if it was in 616 canon or not. Around that time Marvel was kind of throwing stuff at the wall and if it stuck it was integrated into 616 and if it didn’t stick they didn’t. 

The Marvel Chronology Project considers  X-Men: First Class to be non-canon. I’m not sure if that’s because Marvel explicitly said it or if the stories literally couldn’t fit into continuity. 

All this talk about past X-Men books reminds me of another book I loved - “X-Men: The Hidden Years”. That series was amazing. I’m still a little aggravated at Marvel for cancelling it

Thanks for the info.  Good to know!  I re-read The Hidden Years a year or two ago and enjoyed it even more the second time around.  It was really The Beast Show for a lot of the run, but good stuff.

Now that would be a box set I would knock some children and old ladies out of the way to grab!  We can skip Iceman in favor of a new Magneto since there's literally an Iceman that would reasonably fit the set on shelves right now:

• Cyclops.  Go ahead and re-release the Dark Phoenix 2-pack version for the folks that missed him.  Then, to appeal to the obsessive/compulsives out there (who, me?) give him a different head to make it worth their while and use the simpler visor design from that era.
  • Marvel Girl in her green minidress.
  • Beast in his OG blue & red.
  • Angel in his blue & white.
  • Professor X in a non-motorized, grab-it-by-the-handles-and-push-it wheelchair.
  • Magneto in his Savage Land gear (though I'd go with the original orange color scheme instead of the more traditional purple & red update they gave him for THY).

X-Men-Hidden-Years-Ghost-int.jpg

9 hours ago, MonsterChris said:

Now that would be a box set I would knock some children and old ladies out of the way to grab!  We can skip Iceman in favor of a new Magneto since there's literally an Iceman that would reasonably fit the set on shelves right now:

• Cyclops.  Go ahead and re-release the Dark Phoenix 2-pack version for the folks that missed him.  Then, to appeal to the obsessive/compulsives out there (who, me?) give him a different head to make it worth their while and use the simpler visor design from that era.
  • Marvel Girl in her green minidress.
  • Beast in his OG blue & red.
  • Angel in his blue & white.
  • Professor X in a non-motorized, grab-it-by-the-handles-and-push-it wheelchair.
  • Magneto in his Savage Land gear (though I'd go with the original orange color scheme instead of the more traditional purple & red update they gave him for THY).

X-Men-Hidden-Years-Ghost-int.jpg

Sold!  Where do I send my money! 🙂

• 1 month later...

I pre-ordered on Amazon when it was released, but this boxset is now missing from Amazon. Usually, if it's sold out, the link is still available and it says currently sold out. This time, the link has been removed and it says page not found. No sure if it means anything. Anyway, if it sold out, I'm surprised as I didn't think Alpha Flight would be that popular and other, more popular characters didn't seem to sell out on Amazon like the pre-orders for Magneto/Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch or Colossus/Juggernaut sets.

• 3 weeks later...