Black Panther 2 Gets Release Date, Eternals Costumes Revealed And More On Spider-Man At D23

JayC

Today at the D23 Expo convention it was announced by Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige that Ryan Coogler will return to direct Black Panther 2 which will be released in theaters on May 6, 2022.

The Eternals cast was brought out on stage today and with it we got our first look at the costumes for the characters, see the image below. The cast for this one includes Richard Madden (Ikaris), Kit Harington (Dane Whitman AKA The Black Knight in the comics), Barry Keoghan (Druig), Gemma Chan (Sersei), Kumail Nanjiani (Kingo), Lauren Ridloff (Makkari), Brian Tyree Henry (Phastos), Salma Hayek (Ajak), Lia McHugh (Sprite), Don Lee (Gilgamesh), and Angelina Jolie (Thena).

Finally Feige finally spoke out about the whole Sony/Spider-Man drama that has been playing out over the course of this week while speaking at D23’s Entertainment Weekly booth.

“I’m feeling about Spider-Man gratitude and joy, We got to make five films within the MCU with Spider-Man: two standalone films and three with the Avengers. It was a dream that I never thought would happen. It was never meant to last forever. We knew there was a finite amount of time that we’d be able to do this, and we told the story we wanted to tell, and I’ll always be thankful for that.”

Tom Holland also made a surprise visit at D23 were he made his own statement.

"It's been a crazy week, but I want you to know I am grateful from the bottom of my heart and I love you 3,000."

Black-Panther-2.jpg

Eternals.jpg

Kevin’s right I guess we all thought it was going to last forever with all this success, but eventually it wasn’t. Hopefully another deal can be struck. 

But I’m excited for BP 2! I’m sure that’s a working title. They’ll probably give that two us  later when they figure it out or the do know it but I may give away too much right now. 

Im also very excited for the Eternals!!!! Those costumes look fantastic! I can’t wait for these obscure characters to get the spotlight they deserve. 

I'm pleasantly surprised that they got Kit Harrington to play Sir Dane. Nice move Mr Feige! I'd imagine KH is quite happy at what will likely be the perfect chance to move on from the GoT debacle, lol! 

As for the Eternals, I'm excited for the film, but I'm really underwhelmed by these costumes. Especially Ikaris. They're just a bit too toned down imo, and more than just a bit too similar looking between each character. This really needed to be up there with the armor designs of the first two Thor films. But, we'll see. Hopefully the film is really good.

Still just not feeling 2020 mcu  as i've never been interested in the Eternals  and no matter what casting they announce i just can't seem to generate any enthusiasm for it.  Can't remember too many marvel adventures where the fate of the world was at stake and the heroes were like "hey, we need the eternals for this fight!".  They're just blah imo.    And while i like ScarJo's Black Widow,  feels like a step backwards rather than forwards.   Seems like 2021 will be a more exciting year but given audience's short attention span and the nice wrap-up that endgame provided, i wouldn't be surprised to see folks start moving on to the next big thing before the sequels to Strange and Thor come out.  But we'll see. The MCU has of course already beaten the odds on many occasions so hopefully they will continue to enthrall audiences going forward.

I am looking forward to BP 2, just wish it was coming sooner!

3 minutes ago, JayC said:

I don't follow Eternals closely but I don't recall Black Knight ever having a connection with The Eternals?

In the 80/90 bk and sersei was the power couple of the avengers. It not that he has a connection to eternals but more for his love interest in sersei. Plus it give the thing of a mortal loving and immortal sorceress 

Just now, tarot said:

In the 80/90 bk and sersei was the power couple of the avengers. It not that he has a connection to eternals but more for his love interest in sersei. Plus it give the thing of a mortal loving and immortal sorceress 

Yeah I was just thinking that. Kit Harington (Dane Whitman AKA The Black Knight in the comics), Gemma Chan (Sersei),  Don Lee (Gilgamesh) were all on the Avengers at the same time. Add in a Battle Armor Thor, Wasp and Dr. Druid and you would have a new Avengers team 🙂

1 hour ago, JayC said:

Ah strike that, Sersi and Black Knight served on the Avengers at the same time around the 350's but Gligamesh was on the team only briefly around 300 with The Captain (Steve Rogers) along with Thor. Reed and Sue Richards. 

Thinking about it there, isnt eternal supposed to be set in the distant past? Maybe whitman will be an actual knight combining the story with sir percy.

18 minutes ago, tarot said:

Thinking about it there, isnt eternal supposed to be set in the distant past? Maybe whitman will be an actual knight combining the story with sir percy.

The exact time frame hasn't been revealed. I'm thinking it will be set in the far past with the Celestials, a couple of time jumps showing the Eternals development before arriving in the present day. 

I understand what you are saying about the attention span of the audience Bashpics, and 10 years is a long time to stay on top. But don't forget that over that 10 years the MCU has started a brand new generation of fans with the younger generation. And with all the toys and animation still in effect and getting bigger, they are reeling in the fans like netting fish. Not to mention an old head like myself that grew up on 1966 Fantastic four cartoons and the like and just thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Anything could happen but I'm betting this is far from has been.