How much would a scaled-up Sasquatch be worth to you?

Benn

My brother is a 3D animator and Black Series collector who has dabbled in designing and selling custom Black Series parts in the past. He doesn't collect Marvel Legends, but I've been talking to him about how much demand there seems to be for some extended thighs to get Sasquatch closer to being in-scale. I'm not using the forum to solicit sales, but I'd like to help him figure out if it's a financially feasible project. So, I wondered if anyone who'd be interested in scaling-up their Sasquatch could chime in with how much a pair of custom thigh extenders would be worth to you. They would seamlessly attach to your existing Sasquatch, adding an inch or so to his height. Feel free to include a qualified range. For instance, "I'd snap purchase for $X, but consider it for as much as $Y". Also, would you buy them unpainted for less, or would you only buy them pre-painted?

Nice idea for those who really care for scale but I am fine with my existing Sasquatch. He is taller than the average Legend so in my opinion he is in a acceptable scale.

maybe $20 total for two leg extensions if I couldn’t live with his current height

1 hour ago, mako said:

How much would it be worth? Good question.

Probably not as much as a world where a person's IPs were safe from every Tom, Dick and Harry "Third Party Producer" or You Tube "Content Creator" who decides they have a right to pick a guys pocket by making money of someone else's creations without permission.

Sorry for the salt, but as a guy who makes his bones through his art, I have real strong opinions on creator rights.

Uh, that's not what's happening here? Hasbro made a thing that a lot of people have strong feelings about. These would be accessories to said thing that would help alleviate those people's feelings, no different than creating power effects or scenery to accompany any other toy. I'm not talking about creating a bootleg rendition of anyone's intellectual property, just a pair of accessories that could help sell Hasbro's product, could make a lot of people happy, and would be sold for no meaningful amount of profit. How is that picking anyone's pocket?

I did my own version of extensions, but the added swivel joint was bothersome to me so I actually extended the entire thigh and toyed with producing them on a 3D printer. The price I figured into it once I got going and if it were worth my while was about $25, so I'm gonna go ahead and stick with that. My version would have been unpainted, though, leaving that to the customer.

Alas, I think the interest would be minimal because as I've found, a lot of people love the look of customs, but few are really into buying non licensed customs for display. I think this would follow suit. I am interested in the response though. Thanks for posting this question.

I can see the unpainted legs be $20 and painted legs $30 maybe? before shipping price.

Would definitely be into some painted ones, too, since I'm such a crap painter.

The original height of the baf now doesn't really dissatisfy me, but if these legs were at least an inch (more or less) longer, I would likely put an order in because a taller Sasquatch would still be koo.

I'd have to see a picture of how he looks next to Gaurdian for example, also adding an inch+ would make him look too long legged IMO. Hasbro had to make Sasquatch in an all around larger scale, not just the legs.  A new in scale John Byrne Sasquatch in the 80th anniv line with alternate "snarling/growling head sculpt & open hands/closed fists would be the ticket. I'd get that for $39.99 as it being in accurate 10' scale would make for a bigger box

2 hours ago, Gigantor said:

I'd have to see a picture of how he looks next to Gaurdian for example, also adding an inch+ would make him look too long legged IMO. Hasbro had to make Sasquatch in an all around larger scale, not just the legs.  A new in scale John Byrne Sasquatch in the 80th anniv line with alternate "snarling/growling head sculpt & open hands/closed fists would be the ticket. I'd get that for $39.99 as it being in accurate 10' scale would make for a bigger box

Yes, his overall leg length was an issue I had to deal with. I went through quite a few tries before I got to the proper balance of height versus overall leg. It was a juggling act but I still think it's still a bit off. Then again, his not near as disproportionate as Toybiz's version. He's significantly and noticeably taller than Juggs but not quite as tall as he should be, but it is much better. I'll post pics of the unpainted "proto" once I get the figure back together.

On 8/27/2019 at 11:25 AM, Gigantor said:

It took some time to locate all my parts. As usual, I put them somewhere that I would remember then immediately forgot where I put them. As you said, the danger of adding too much woulda made him too leggy so I actually took it back down another 1/2 inch, but given how much I actually did add it actually turned out pretty good. As I was saying before, it is unpainted but a good paint job with a wash would really bring out the detail.

@Benn, I didn't mean to take over the thread but you actually made me get off my ayass and finish this project. Maybe if we get enough interest we could partner up and see if we can make it happen.

20190830_123631(1).jpg

20190830_122758(1).jpg

20190830_122306.jpg

20190830_122512(1).jpg

20190830_123645(1).jpg

20190830_122448.jpg

20190830_122354.jpg

19 hours ago, monron999 said:

It took some time to locate all my parts. As usual, I put them somewhere that I would remember then immediately forgot where I put them. As you said, the danger of adding too much woulda made him too leggy so I actually took it back down another 1/2 inch, but given how much I actually did add it actually turned out pretty good. As I was saying before, it is unpainted but a good paint job with a wash would really bring out the detail.

@Benn, I didn't mean to take over the thread but you actually made me get off my ayass and finish this project. Maybe if we get enough interest we could partner up and see if we can make it happen.

20190830_123631(1).jpg

20190830_122758(1).jpg

20190830_122306.jpg

20190830_122512(1).jpg

20190830_123645(1).jpg

20190830_122448.jpg

20190830_122354.jpg

OK, yeah, that is an improvement!  At least now, he would be bigger than both Hulk/Jugs as well he should be. And next to normal sized 6 footers, he would look a bit more towering. I like those extensions sir. Problem with painting them is that Hasbro somehow has these hard to match paints that you have to mix & match paints just to try & find the exact color. I'd rather order them already painted. Again, that added inch of hgt make a huge difference. Why someone at Hasbro or even Marvel gave the green light to that underscaled Sasquatch is beyond me, I woulda shut it down & told em to at minimum, make him 9' scale if not the entire 10'.

20 hours ago, monron999 said:

No worries at all! My brother would be making these out of the UK anyway, so it just means more shipping options for different locales. Yours look great, by the way! Would you be recasting that whole section of each leg? So installing them would require a bit of surgery on the figure?

I'm the kind of guy that likes my figures to come as close as possible in being  representative of how the character was drawn.  Hence the demand for the 80th Anniversary Capt America, Thor and Iron Man figures.  So I am definitely interested in a Sasquatch in the original John Byrne style. On Figure Realm I came access a great Sasquatch figure by Eagle's Customs (see below) It is 3D printed and to me comes closest to Byrne's proportions of Sasquatch. 

thumb_94821-3-5aae8c3973fc4.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 6:31 PM, darknight86 said:

I'm the kind of guy that likes my figures to come as close as possible in being  representative of how the character was drawn.  Hence the demand for the 80th Anniversary Capt America, Thor and Iron Man figures.  So I am definitely interested in a Sasquatch in the original John Byrne style. On Figure Realm I came access a great Sasquatch figure by Eagle's Customs (see below) It is 3D printed and to me comes closest to Byrne's proportions of Sasquatch. 

thumb_94821-3-5aae8c3973fc4.jpg

No sorry, while huge in size, Sasquatch is not a distant cousin of Quasimodo.