2019 Fan Expo Canada Hasbro Marvel Interview With Dwight Stall And Ryan Ting

JayC

Troy was able to catch up with Dwight Stall And Ryan Ting from Hasbro's Marvel brand team last weekend at the Fan Expo Canada convention where talked about Alpha Flight, Marvel Legends packaging, Fan Polls, possible future Marvel Haslab projects and more. See the interview below.

I mentioned a bit of it in the other topic for HasLab, but I'm honestly kinda torn on it.  On one hand, a big(ger) Galactus and Sentinel and whatnot sounds cool but...how much bigger than some of the versions we've already gotten could it realistically be before we're basically just getting one of those big rotocast/hollow Jakks figures, maybe with a couple lights and sounds built in?

And likewise with vehicles.  Admittedly some of it's just personal foible based on how much space my collection already takes up, but a Blackbird or Quinjet that's large enough to hold a "squad" of 6" figures and have enough detail/other playability to be "interesting" (ala the Sail Barge) would be pretty huge.  Maybe not Sail Barge huge...but I skipped the Sail Barge precisely because I didn't have a place to put it besides a storage unit somewhere.  Some folks have already said they're not really interested in ML vehicles (and honestly once you get through the Quinjet, Blackbird, and maybe a MCU Milano or Benatar...what's left that people are really going to want)?

I do think the idea of "mega sets" of figures is something they could look into.  Basically entire boxed sets of teams/completing teams for somewhat more niche groups that it will either be many years before they complete or even start to get around to...if ever.  Particularly for teams that haven't had much spotlight in recent years or haven't shown up in any movies.

3 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

And likewise with vehicles.  Admittedly some of it's just personal foible based on how much space my collection already takes up, but a Blackbird or Quinjet that's large enough to hold a "squad" of 6" figures and have enough detail/other playability to be "interesting" (ala the Sail Barge) would be pretty huge.  Maybe not Sail Barge huge...but I skipped the Sail Barge precisely because I didn't have a place to put it besides a storage unit somewhere.  Some folks have already said they're not really interested in ML vehicles (and honestly once you get through the Quinjet, Blackbird, and maybe a MCU Milano or Benatar...what's left that people are really going to want)?

Well what about a really bitchin' Fantasticar then?  Do a MK II version instead of just a flying bathtub.  It wouldn't need to be as big as a Blackbird or Quinjet and you can still see the figures when they're sitting in it.

I have no interest in vehicles. There isn't a Marvel vehicle that would realistically allow you to display a lot of different figures and most wouldn't let you display hardly any because something like a Quinjet would have the figures inside.  Even a Fantasitcar would only be appropriate to display FF figures with. Assuming whatever they do for Haslab is going to cost in the neighborhood $400-$500 and would take up a lot of shelf space I would need something I could use more than 4 figures with.

Give me a 30"+ tall articulated Sentinel or Galactus that would be tall but not wide so easier to find space for that a bunch of figures could be posed fighting and maybe add in some electronics you have something IMO that might be tempting enough pay that much money for.

The sentinel from the Days of Future Past set isn't too badly scaled. Sentinels are supposed to be about 20' tall, and the toy is 16", so it's 80% the size it should be at 1:12 scale. That feels close enough for a big figure to me. Galactus should be closer to 30", as should Master Mold. If they can do a 16" electronic, talking sentinel with another figure for $100, a 20" sentinel probably wouldn't need to be too much more. Honestly, being part of Haslab would probably artificially drive the price way up. A 30" Master Mold or Galactus is probably a better use of the platform.

15 hours ago, MonsterChris said:

Well what about a really bitchin' Fantasticar then?  Do a MK II version instead of just a flying bathtub.  It wouldn't need to be as big as a Blackbird or Quinjet and you can still see the figures when they're sitting in it.

For me personally the words "Fantasticar" and "Really Bitchin'" just don't go together very often.  I suppose it'd be fine, but belongs to a more limited team (and I suppose to sweeten the pot they could throw in the Four in a different paint scheme from the Walgreen's exclusives, maybe with a non-flamey Johnny).

If I'm being frank, I'm not sure a Fantasticar would make it to production in HasLab anyhow.

1 hour ago, mako said:

I've already stated my opinion of HasLab and how if you spend 500 bucks on a toy, you're nuts (call it shaming if you want, it is what it is). The important point is, I don't care if its a decent comic Falcon, Morph from the X-Men 'toon, Galactus, or a comic-style Hulkbuster: the second Hasbro releases a character I want through a program insuring 99.99% of us won't even be able to get it, I'm gonna seriously reevaluate my patronage of their company.

How the hell are "99.99%" of us not going to be able to get it on HasLab?  Anyone who wants something on HasLab puts in their preorder and if enough people go for it, then voila...everybody that wanted one gets the thing (once it's produced, of course).

3 minutes ago, Jmacq1 said:

How the hell are "99.99%" of us not going to be able to get it on HasLab?  Anyone who wants something on HasLab puts in their preorder and if enough people go for it, then voila...everybody that wanted one gets the thing (once it's produced, of course).

You forget the most important problem of Haslab. it's only available in the US. 80% of people who collect legends is outside the states. US make only a small portion of the collecting community.

43 minutes ago, tarot said:

You forget the most important problem of Haslab. it's only available in the US. 80% of people who collect legends is outside the states. US make only a small portion of the collecting community.

They do count international pre-orders, except they rip people off. In fact they had to extend the Unicron deadline because it was going to fail.

52 minutes ago, leokearon said:

They do count international pre-orders, except they rip people off. In fact they had to extend the Unicron deadline because it was going to fail.

"We are currently shipping to all US States, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, Canada, and APO/FPO addresses." As a mexican, I wouldn't be able to buy it.

Just now, memocromatico said:

"We are currently shipping to all US States, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, Canada, and APO/FPO addresses." As a mexican, I wouldn't be able to buy it.

Not on Pulse but various online retailers are taking pre-orders which do count. They just tend to rip us International fans off

1 hour ago, leokearon said:

Not on Pulse but various online retailers are taking pre-orders which do count. They just tend to rip us International fans off

So it's not really available, if it were directly available on Pulse many more would be able and willing to fund the project.

Just now, memocromatico said:

So it's not really available, if it were directly available on Pulse many more would be able and willing to fund the project.

It is available, you just get ripped off because Hasbro don't care about you. Hre in Ireland, we can't get Jubilee or Nightcrawler because for some reason

9 hours ago, tarot said:

You have a source on "80% of the people who collect legends" being outside the US? (Nevermind that the assertion I was responding to was from someone inside the US)

Because if that were true you'd think international retailers would be a lot better about stocking them since they're such hot sellers.

8 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

You have a source on "80% of the people who collect legends" being outside the US? (Nevermind that the assertion I was responding to was from someone inside the US)

Because if that were true you'd think international retailers would be a lot better about stocking them since they're such hot sellers.

You would think that, but apparently not. The largest toystores in Ireland don't even stock Marvel Legends and even then they are probably the most expensive action figures you can buy. Also it doesn't help that Hasbro won't even give us full waves, Nightcrawler and Jubilee aren't available in Ireland for example

10 minutes ago, mako said:

WOW.

Eleventh hour number jumps on the Sail-Barge, mysterious number drop-offs on Cookie Monster, and a last minute extension on Unicron?

The more I hear, the more I realize how on the button my original assessment was. HasLab IS Hasbro's MatteyCollector, their Subscription Scam. By that I mean a huge and ungainly construct that'll drag down the company, the fans, and everyone else involved as it teeters and finally collapses under its own weight. I just hope Hasbro realizes this before, like Mattel, both the company and its reputation are permanently damaged.

The events with both Cookie Monster and Unicron scream, "we don't want to fail" especially with their (we listen to the fans) nonsense

4 hours ago, Benn said:

To be fair, there were a ton of people begging them for more time on Unicron, because it was a short window to spring on people for such an expensive purchase.

The time frame wasn't the only thing that was wrong with Unicron. In fact for many the price, size, the fact it was Unicron  and the timing of the fundraising were bigger points of concern