New Line Of 6" Marvel Legends Re-Issues?!?

JayC

Dan Who? Reviews alerts us to this newly packaged wave of 6" Marvel Legends re-issues he found at his local Tesco in the U.K. Besides coming in a more basic style of cardback packaging the figures are also missing any kind of Build-A-Figure pieces. The case assortment is a mixture of various MCU based figures:

- Spider Man (Far From Home)
- Stealth Suit (Far From Home)
- End Game Captain America
- Infinity War Iron Man
- Infinity War Black Panther
- Captain Marvel

At this time we have no idea if this is something we will see released in the United States or if this is an international thing only. Dan made a video talking about them as well.

Marvel-Legends-Re-Issue-01.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Re-Issue-02.jpg

These were announced a couple months ago already, I think they were first released in hong kong as re-releases but it could be a posibility, though I dont see how this would work, it basically uses the same amount of plastic the regular packaging uses (and hasbro already said its trying tu reduce plastic in their packaging so this isnt really an embironmental improovement), and I doubt theyll remove the baf's a lot of figures have only been sold because of the baf piece it comes with (its an added incentive to buy the figure, it would be dumb to remove that incentive and have a bunch of figures that people will never buy)

Reissues of popular figures. Not something I would get l but I get why they do it. Those are the ones kids will buy or even completionists.

I love how everybodies first thought is that this is the way ML will be done from now on.

First, hasbro won't be dropping BAf for a long while as this is how they sell whole cases.

Second if they were going to do this they would never have released it in the UK before anywhere else. Especially not in Tesco, which is mainly a grocery supermarket. They would release it in the US first.

Third, Like many people have said this actually uses more Plastic packaging then usually and we know hasbro is trying to cut back on that.

Agree w/ Tarot. This is not a forbearance of what is to come, it just doesnt jive with multiple marketing announcements and or research feedback the Legends team have made.

Such a concept would be welcome by yours truly to get a reasonably priced MCU Scarlet Witch though, and non-phasing Vision.

Might even be a release forum for Black Order revisits, and or 2nd release for MCU army builders like the Chitauri and Outriders, presuming we get them via some other mechanism first.

12 minutes ago, Magnetotron said:

get a reasonably priced MCU Scarlet Witch though, and non-phasing Vision.

That would be awesome! An interesting concept this is. And Hasbro certainly ain't dropping the BAFs, this feels just like cheap reissues, or like those "The best of" waves. Would be interesting to see them release some army building figures.

I like the packaging, I also like the concept of getting Marvel Legends at a lower price point even though they are just re-issues, I'd actually buy these for the good price alone, if in fact they show up in North America (and at that price point)

Yep, it sucks this bad living in the UK and trying to collect Legends.

Dan Who is enthusiastic, and it's great to see  someone making the effort, but he should do a bit more on the fact-check & verification elements, and maybe carve out an individual niche (quoting from Rektangular is not enough).

Interestingly (or not...) Tesco have carried Marvel Legends (both at 3.75" & 6" scale). They even got a retailer exclusive on the first wave of Hasbro's Marvel Legends 'Reborn' (Annihilus BAF) and carried Spider-Man Legends long after everyone else had dropped them. It's fair to say that Marvel Legends have been invisible for at least 5 years at Tesco, but then that's true everywhere: with a dead TRU, no pick-up from Smyth's or The Entertainer and a few pegwarmers at HUGE Disney Stores only, mainstream distribution of Marvel Legends is a bad joke in the UK. Ultimately, you can go eBay or on-line/speciality dealers: Kapow Toys, In Demand & Star Action Figures are all great. American collectors - note this when complaining about retailer exclusives!

So, in one way, it's good to see these, because it's...something. On the other hand, these are going to stagger - not fly - off the shelves. There just isn't the market for action figures at £15+ especially as these are (a). Nothing new and (b). MCU-based.

Slight repaints of comic-based figures though, or figures split from multi-packs without BAF parts at £15? I'm in.

To me it just looks like a marketing strategy to appeal to a younger demographic. Let me make it clear that I'm NOT advocating another MCU vs. Comic debate so squash that before it starts but it is cleat to me that all the involved characters have two things in common. 1.) They are highly recognizable figures to not only seasoned collectors, but also casual fans and young children 2.) These are also typically over packed characters who tend to warm the pegs once the initial wave hits (at least where I live and shop).

Now I know there are different indicators in different places depending on where you live and someone's bound to call me out on it, but I do travel a lot in my profession and I do visit quite a few Walmarts, Targets, Gamestops, Walgreens, Best Buys and collectable shops during my down time, and by in large these figures are the ones that seem to linger the longest. As a matter of fact I can probably go out right now and find all of these figures by hitting just a few of the local stores in my area, and based on my most recent visit to my local Target I'm pretty sure I can get full sets of both the Captain Marvel and 2nd BP waves.

That aside, it just looks like Hasbro might be practicing a new tactic to try to rid themselves of some left over stock by putting them in grocery stores to appeal to the grocery store impulse buys that some parents do for their children. I've seen Mattel do it with WWE figures and it seemed to be a pretty solid strategy as they sold tons of them at $5 a pop. Makes sense that Hasbro would try something similar.

Hey, if they gotta purge some product at reduced price to keep the price of my ML down, I'm all for it.

12 minutes ago, mako said:

Honestly, it depends on the BAF. I have no problem buying figures I don't want if it means completing a BAF I DO want (that's what Ebay Seller Accounts are for). On the same token, if I don't like the BAF, and I don't like the figures, there's really no reason to buy them.

Same here, I traded the BAF parts I didn't need for parts I did need.

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 2:01 PM, tarot said:

I love how everybodies first thought is that this is the way ML will be done from now on.

First, hasbro won't be dropping BAf for a long while as this is how they sell whole cases.

Second if they were going to do this they would never have released it in the UK before anywhere else. Especially not in Tesco, which is mainly a grocery supermarket. They would release it in the US first.

Third, Like many people have said this actually uses more Plastic packaging then usually and we know hasbro is trying to cut back on that.

Think Tarot got it right. I also just don't see Hasbro dropping BAF anytime soon. Lower cost re-issues is a fine way to go, but its highly unlikely theyre gonna total abandon whats been working so well for them.

And now, give me my Redwolf figure....