Figure Fatigue

leokearon

Here's a question. Is there any character you are getting tired of seeing getting a Marvel Legends figure. You see a new wave and that character has gotten yet another figure and you groan in dismay. A character who you go, "No thanks, there is already enough of you, where's (insert character you really want)?"

For me they would include:

MCU Carol: four in a row in the space of a month and pretty much of the same look as put me right off

MCU Cap and Iron Man: Almost guaranteed to be in an Avengers movie wave and they all look very similar

Deadpool: Pantless DP,makes me want to never see another DP figure, also he doesn't have that many iconic looks to last.

It seems to me that the MCU figures (specifically Cap and Iron Man) are probably more guilty of this than the comic-based figs.  Though I say that as someone who doesn't really collect the MCU stuff, so I really don't pay very close attention.

Deadpool is number one with a bullet for me as far as comic figures go.  I try not to dwell on it because it irritates me to the point that I find myself less fond of the character - and that's a shame because he really is a fantastic character.  He was fairly unique, too, once upon a time.  Now, his oversaturation makes it a struggle not to groan and roll my eyes when I see him, and I definitely don't want that to be my reaction to Deadpool.  It grates on me in a way that Spider-Man and Wolverine never have, and I'm not sure what the difference is.  Maybe his often overbearing fan base?  I'm in no way trying to imply that being a die-hard Deadpool fan makes you anything less than a great person - I'm a Deadpool fan, myself.  It just so happens, unfortunately, that a lot of intolerable people seem to really like Deadpool as well.

I'm rambling.  Sorry.  TL;DR: I love Deadpool.  Please stop making Deadpool #$##.  You've got me actively boycotting a character I love.

(in order): Iron Man (mcu),  Iron Man (Comic) ,  Wolverine,   Deadpool.  

i make an exception for mcu cap since really only the 10th anniv and worthy versions have adequate steve rogers heads imo. 

MCU Carol is a weird case, that whole wave is just a weird situation .  But even ignoring the Binary fiasco, 3 mcu Carols at the same time was too much, especially since they reused head sculpts so much.   I'm not an mcu Carol-hater by any means but but the decisions made regarding that  wave & exclusives definitely leave one scratching their head.

I'm not a huge fan of all the variant spidey figures either but since its kind of given you're gonna get a couple in every spidey wave, it doesn't feel like they are taking up slots that could be filled by other characters. 

Ultimately, though, it feels like retailers are more comfortable knowing there is an A-list character in every spidey or x-wave, and if that is the price for getting figures of other characters that might not otherwise make it to retail, so be it.  Unless the BAF is irresistable, easy enough to skip figures of characters you already have enough of. Thats my 2 cents anyhow.  

17 minutes ago, Chunkylover said:

Wolverine is one of my favorites, but even I get bored of some of his variations, and I understand people getting irritated if he isn’t their favorite. At least he has a billion different costumes. 

Yeah, there are legitimately several versions of Wolverine that I still want, but a mandated Wolverine in every X-Men wave, if such a mandate does exist, is stupid.  Cyclops, Storm, and Nightcrawler can all anchor a wave just fine.  So could lots of other X-folks.  Give him a beer break!

I think the characters we are all getting bored of are pretty obvious , but for me personally

Iron Man. Cap and Wolverine

if this isn't a realized stat we actually got 5 Wolverines this year and all in 5 month span, that's just pathetic

Cap has had will have 6 Figures this year and yes about 4 will come in the span of only a few months

Iron Man will have 4 by the end of the year (or 5 if you count Infamous) and that seems surprisingly low for Iron Man (I might be fogetting something)

Spider Man will have 6 figs by the end of the year (and as much as it's annoying I hate spider-man saturation the least)

Deadpool seems to irritate me only slightly these days.. since really we have seem to see a scale back on him for the most part and spaced out enough not to make me scream, but we still get really lame new DP's ... Suit I'm looking at you

Makes me sad that so many awesome slots could be filled with cool new fun characters but yet again add the heavy hitters , which IMO they are going to run out of soon, do people even want to buy 8 figs of the same character every year anymore? no matter how "different" the costume is?

40 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

I think the characters we are all getting bored of are pretty obvious , but for me personally

Iron Man. Cap and Wolverine

if this isn't a realized stat we actually got 5 Wolverines this year and all in 5 month span, that's just pathetic

Cap has had will have 6 Figures this year and yes about 4 will come in the span of only a few months

Iron Man will have 4 by the end of the year (or 5 if you count Infamous) and that seems surprisingly low for Iron Man (I might be fogetting something)

Spider Man will have 6 figs by the end of the year (and as much as it's annoying I hate spider-man saturation the least)

Deadpool seems to irritate me only slightly these days.. since really we have seem to see a scale back on him for the most part and spaced out enough not to make me scream, but we still get really lame new DP's ... Suit I'm looking at you

Makes me sad that so many awesome slots could be filled with cool new fun characters but yet again add the heavy hitters , which IMO they are going to run out of soon, do people even want to buy 8 figs of the same character every year anymore? no matter how "different" the costume is?

Hasbro seem to believe that they need heavy lifters each line to sell the toys. Transformers nearly always have an Optimus (or two), Megatron, Starscream and probably Bumblebee.

15 minutes ago, leokearon said:

Hasbro seem to believe that they need heavy lifters each line to sell the toys. Transformers nearly always have an Optimus (or two), Megatron, Starscream and probably Bumblebee.

I understand Hasbro's logic here in terms of selling toys , especially to window watching purchasers , the kid in the toy isle at target is more then likely gonna whine and weep for their parents to buy them a wolverine or a spider-man over a machine man, so I understand that they gotta make sure every wave has a mainstream success figure in it, also for parents sake who know nothing about the comic world whom are buying gifts for their kids are going to need to see a spider-man or captain america figure because they arn't going to buy a rock python for a kids birthday or christmas, so yes they are trying to sell figures to the standard consumer, but I mean at this point Legends sell so ludicrously well and the main people doing the buying are the true collectors who will buy a wave with anything in it by now, you'd think they'd notice that, they have the basic line.. and that should be the one to focus on the passing by consumers... leave legends to the fiends who will take an aunt may figure or a bird brain , because we want it all and lots of it 

I think alot less cherry picking would happen with the serious collector if they just focused on giving us new characters each wave, and constantly building the universe , but thats just me

Just now, Lord_Scareglow said:

I understand Hasbro's logic here in terms of selling toys , especially to window watching purchasers , the kid in the toy isle at target is more then likely gonna whine and weep for their parents to buy them a wolverine or a spider-man over a machine man, so I understand that they gotta make sure every wave has a mainstream success figure in it, also for parents sake who know nothing about the comic world whom are buying gifts for their kids are going to need to see a spider-man or captain america figure because they arn't going to buy a rock python for a kids birthday or christmas, so yes they are trying to sell figures to the standard consumer, but I mean at this point Legends sell so ludicrously well and the main people doing the buying are the true collectors who will buy a wave with anything in it by now, you'd think they'd notice that, they have the basic line.. and that should be the one to focus on the passing by consumers... leave legends to the fiends who will take an aunt man figure or a bird brain , because we want it all and lots of it 

But are collectors doing all the buyers? I know with Generations (TF's collector driven line), Hasbro revealed the main buyers were 8 -12 year olds

I'm tired of all the Iron Man figures they release that aren't classic, comic versions 😄 

Venom on the Hyperion buck has gotsta goooooo, I mean daaaaaang. That's 3 if you count the Punisher one, right?

And of course Spider-Man releasing on the same, slim body all the time. Where's Romita alreadyyyyyy?!.... Gah.

7 minutes ago, leokearon said:

But are collectors doing all the buyers? I know with Generations (TF's collector driven line), Hasbro revealed the main buyers were 8 -12 year olds

Well thats actually interesting info, I would no doubt believe that alot of buyers would be in the younger demographic , but I think the real money is stil probably in serious collectors whom have disposable income of their own to constantly buy and are driven, in terms of the younger groups purhcasing most of these are probably one or two time buys, the 8 year old wants the optimus and the megatron and then they are done, the collectors constantly purchase and frequently, but stats don't lie so i guess this is the obvious reason they keep making sure the kid whos 11 doesn't leave the toy isle empty handed because they didn't have their fav character, it all makes sense, but also doesn't in a way.. since the heavy pay outs come from fools like us buying entire waves or maybe we are the minority in the end, thats why we need 15 wolverines in one year

21 minutes ago, RAMCAT said:

I'm tired of all the Iron Man figures they release that aren't classic, comic versions 😄

Right?  It feels like they release half a dozen Iron Man figures a year, and I've got this list of Iron Man armors I want that somehow never gets any shorter.  Where you at, modular armor?

22 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Well thats actually interesting info, I would no doubt believe that alot of buyers would be in the younger demographic , but I think the real money is stil probably in serious collectors whom have disposable income of their own to constantly buy and are driven, in terms of the younger groups purhcasing most of these are probably one or two time buys, the 8 year old wants the optimus and the megatron and then they are done, the collectors constantly purchase and frequently, but stats don't lie so i guess this is the obvious reason they keep making sure the kid whos 11 doesn't leave the toy isle empty handed because they didn't have their fav character, it all makes sense, but also doesn't in a way.. since the heavy pay outs come from fools like us buying entire waves or maybe we are the minority in the end, thats why we need 15 wolverines in one year

It's also helps that the parents might have grown up with TFS and therefore can tell their kids about the other characters. 

2 minutes ago, MonsterChris said:

Right?  It feels like they release half a dozen Iron Man figures a year, and I've got this list of Iron Man armors I want that somehow never gets any shorter.  Where you at, modular armor?

Same here, where are Sliver Centurion and Modular Armours. 

The thing is... at least all the  Caps, Iron Man  and Wolverines are different enough to warrant a new figure. With the exception of straight up repaints s ( with no new tooling) the many versions are either a new costume  in someone’s preferred look.

Cap and Iron Man have different looks in almost all their solo films and in all four Avengers films.  My preferred look is EndGame for both but someone else may prefer AOU looks.. they are similar but different. 

Ok Wolverine is the exception because Hasbro finally got the perfect buck for him AFTER they released a bunch of his classic looks. I think it was a ready made excuse to redo them all on the proper buck. Yes there have been a ton of Wolverine releases lately and I am guilty that I will be one of those guys that still get the upcoming ones because my preferred look is the Astonishing costume ( which isn’t slated for a rerelease yet) and I want those bone claws from the three pack.

And are people counting legacy characters as part of the total? For example: does Warmachine, US Agent, X-23 in Wolverine gear count as another IronMan, Cap and Wolverine? 

I get no fatigue, I want all the different costumes for my favorite characters 

2 minutes ago, McHogan said:

The thing is... at least all the  Caps, Iron Man  and Wolverines are different enough to warrant a new figure. With the exception of straight up repaints s ( with no new tooling) the many versions are either a new costume  in someone’s preferred look.

Cap and Iron Man have different looks in almost all their solo films and in all four Avengers films.  My preferred look is EndGame for both but someone else may prefer AOU looks.. they are similar but different. 

Ok Wolverine is the exception because Hasbro finally got the perfect buck for him AFTER they released a bunch of his classic looks. I think it was a ready made excuse to redo them all on the proper buck. Yes there have been a ton of Wolverine releases lately and I am guilty that I will be one of those guys that still get the upcoming ones because my preferred look is the Astonishing costume ( which isn’t slated for a rerelease yet) and I want those bone claws from the three pack.

And are people counting legacy characters as part of the total? For example: does Warmachine, US Agent, X-23 in Wolverine gear count as another IronMan, Cap and Wolverine? 

I get no fatigue, I want all the different costumes for my favorite characters 

Legacy characters don't count in my opinion because they are different characters

8 minutes ago, MonsterChris said:

Yep, for sure. Modular, Silver Centurion and stealth would be most my most wanted ones. I would even take updates on neo-classic, space armor and Hulkbuster.

And same could kinda go for War Machine; all the movie ones and no classic, comic War Machine? Pff..tss..huh.

If they would squeeze any of those in between the several of movie or modern armors, then that would eliminate some annoyance of mine.

Alright, in precise order from 1 - 10:

1. MCU Iron Man,

2. MCU Iron Man

3. MCU Captain America

4. MCU Iron Man

5. MCU Captain Marvel

6. MCU Star Lord

7. MCU Iron Man

8. MCU Spider-Man

9. MCU Captain America

10. MCU Freakin' Iron Man

This is absolutely frustrating. No Comic Falcon, no comic War Machine, No comic Winter Soldier, no comic Star Lord, no classic Captain Marvel or Ms. Marvel in sight. I know Hasbro sold the farm to acquire the license for movie products in particular but sometimes we get multiples of these same character in the same wave over sometimes 3 waves. Time to lose the tunnel vision and mix it up a bit guys. There's so much more left undone and had they just sacrificed one of the fatigue inducers for any of the untouched characters in maybe 3 waves a year they coulda checked off so many boxes by now. At this rate I don't expect that we'll ever get any of these done for certain.

I have to agree. I'm tired of MCU Cap and Iron Man repaints. I don't mind getting different costumes, but we got Infinity War Iron Man 4 times. FOUR. One in the Thanos wave, one with the Best-Of wave, one with the 3-pack, and another with Iron Spider and the accessories that should've come with the first release since it didn't come with a BaF piece. 

MCU Cap used THE SAME MOLD for AoU, Civil War (4 releases=Giant Man wave, Best-Of wave, with Iron Man and Spider Man, and the 4 pack with War Machine, Falcon, and Iron Man), and the 10th Anniversary (different and better heads, granted). That's 6 times the same figure. It's ridiculous. 

For me, Deadpool is the biggest offender. Cap and Iron Man are probably worse, but I only focus on X-figures, so I don't really notice them. Wolverine gets more figures, but he has more looks to justify it. Classic, modern, and X-Force costumes would've been plenty of Deadpool for me, and the other seven figures we will have had by early next year could've been used to flesh out 90s X-Force (or Uncanny X-Force) instead. The other, more subtle character I'd like to suggest is Cyclops, who has somewhat quietly picked up a lot of figures in the last few years. I kind of like his current House of X look, but the only costume left for (616) Cyke that really needs a figure is his Astonishing X-Men look. Don't get me wrong, Wolverine definitely has too many figures and certainly has a few I could gladly have done without, but I could live without more Cyclops any time soon.

Number of Figures in Infinite line (counting known future figures):

• Cyclops: 6
  • Deadpool: 8
  • Wolverine: 11 (14 if you count alternate-reality versions, all of whom have interacted with 616 at this point)

For me, nobody else comes close. Bring 'em on!

MCU Iron Man and Cap don't bother me if they are different. I love the most recent MCU Cap and the Iron Man in the 2-Pack with Iron Spider was a welcome improvement. There plenty of Iron Man armors for both MCU and comic they could do or improve upon from previous releases. For cap I would still like to see a good first Avengers movie Cap. The one in the next wave really isnt that different from the previous one.

Deadpool has def gotten old. Wolverine is getting tiresome as well and for me Spider-Man is also getting overplayed.

5 hours ago, michiganjfrog said:

it just annoys me when they will do another minor variation of a figure that's been done..and then the figures they really need released get neglected

Same here, that's my I'm sick of MCU Caps and Iron Mans, the costumes are way too similar

3 hours ago, leokearon said:

Same here, that's my I'm sick of MCU Caps and Iron Mans, the costumes are way too similar

I don't mind getting the movie figs. I understand the need for them and understand Hasbro's under a certain veil of expectation by Marvel but like @memocromaticosaid, why does it have to be in every wave, every 2 pack, every exclusive? Also, I do agree with @JayCthat some of the older figures are due for some kind of makeover, especially with the much improved photo real tech, but they should be able to do those in some kind of sub line similar to the 10 Years line. Put it out there, say what it is (we're making the old figures "better") and I guarantee the interest will be there. Exclude the BAF, add some accessories and even put the $25 tag on it. I would be all in for an First Avenger Cap. I would certainly be all in for Iron Man 2's Silver Centurion or some Hammer Drone army builders.

Just now, monron999 said:

I don't mind getting the movie figs. I understand the need for them and understand Hasbro's under a certain veil of expectation by Marvel but like @memocromaticosaid, why does it have to be in every wave, every 2 pack, every exclusive? Also, I do agree with @JayCthat some of the older figures are due for some kind of makeover, especially with the much improved photo real tech, but they should be able to do those in some kind of sub line similar to the 10 Years line. Put it out there, say what it is (we're making the old figures "better") and I guarantee the interest will be there. Exclude the BAF, add some accessories and even put the $25 tag on it. I would be all in for an First Avenger Cap. I would certainly be all in for Iron Man 2's Silver Centurion or some Hammer Drone army builders.

I would love a Travel Suit (Mark V) Movie Iron Man, at least it is a very different look and it reminds me of the Silver Centurion (my favourite armour)