Figure Fatigue

leokearon

So here's the thing:  At this point there are a LOT more people that have seen the Marvel movies than are fans of the comics (and yes, there's of course a ton of overlap).  So yeah...MCU is definitely here to stay.  By this time next year there may be more fans of the MCU Eternals than there are of the comic New Warriors (just as an example).  Purely because there's a movie.

One nice thing Hasbro has leaned a little bit towards in recent years is that relatively often the "core character" is not one you need for the BAF.  Six-Armed Spidey, Quantum Cap, IW Iron Man, a couple different Deadpools and Wolverines, etc... 

However anecdotally (based on my local area) it's often not the "core characters" that are the ones that pegwarm the most.  It's b/c list comic characters (or occasional outliers like MCU Wasp which they must have made an absolute crap-ton of because it's a very good figure that's still on shelves virtually everywhere).

22 hours ago, RAMCAT said:

And of course Spider-Man releasing on the same, slim body all the time. Where's Romita alreadyyyyyy?!.... Gah.

WITH YOU on a Romita (Senior) type figure. In fact, that slim body buck is what they use for Iron Fist too and I think it could stand to be a bit bigger.

8 hours ago, komododragin said:

Too many Wolverines. And instead of making more iron mans, they could give us a tony stark in a regular shirt for when he builds stuff, or they could even give him completely removable parts from the mark 1 since that design was thick enough to look natural in toy form.

I like this idea, or do a few swappable arms/legs so its like he is trying on the armor parts

It just depends but in general the less of these the better:

-Deadpool

-Wolverine

-Captain America (MCU and Comic)

- MCU Iron Man

-Punisher

Now granted, if they treated Iron Man like they do Spidey and really delved into the different armors I would be fine to just pick and choose and not really care how many variations are on the shelves.  80th anniversary Cap takes the cake, I'll never need another one now, and MCU Cap is the same way with the 10 years, but I wouldn't say no to a re-release for the Endgame Cap, never saw that thing in my area.  I think most of the major permutations of Wolverine have been done, with just a few exceptions, so hopefully even if they don't stop, the amount of them slows down.  As for DP and Punisher, it's way past enough, I think they've done every DP out there, and definitely have Frank covered by the time that fan channel one hits.

I don't understand the fatigue for figures of the MCU's MVPs, since it makes more than sense to release figures for each of their appearances, or at least each of their new looks. They're the big time protagonists of their movies, after all, and each figure is relevant. Additionally, their figures sell well since they can catch the attention of the more casual movie goers. It's not even like all of these figures come all at once (like Captain Marvel), and the reissues are usually skippable and don't take up place in a wave.

I can kinda understand fatigue for Captain America since he has used the same base costume since 2015 with a few alterations (save for Infinity War). At least (generally) each Iron Man armor is different enough from another and there's even the plus that it makes sense for a display to have many Iron Men. The same applies to Spider-Man (save for the part of having many Spider-Men together... well, unless it's part of a Spider-Verse display). 

On my part, I'm a bit fatigued of Wolverine, Deadpool, and to some extent Spider-Man (comic). I feel like with the recent Madripoor Wolverine, Hasbro has touched on the character enough, unless they make a figure for his current modernized brown costume. Hasbro seems to have totally hit the end of the barrel with Deadpool, with boxers Deadpool and X-Man Deadpool, and the upcoming suited Deadpool. I'm only surprised they didn't make a Weapon X Deadpool (especially since it got a 12" figure). The alternate versions of Spider-Man don't bother me, except when we get things like House of M Spider-Man which is not that big of a deviation from the classic costume or the Six-Armed Spider-Man, which was not executed well.

If we weren't talking exclusively about characters, I'd say I'm fatigued of X-Men and Spider-Man waves. I wish other corners of the Marvel Universe got more love. It's not that I have anything against the X-Men and Spider-Man waves themselves, but I feel Hasbro could wedge in specialized waves for other popular characters like Iron Man, Hulk or comic Avengers

I too would like to see more variety of representation of other lesser teams like New Warriors, Invaders, Thunderbolts, Squadron Supreme. But in ADDITION to annual versions of the Avengers, XMen, Spidey corners. 

I have been all over this board stating my love of the Avengers related Legends, it’s my best shot at getting lesser characters like Starfox, Dr. Druid, Triathlon ( you know, the characters nobody wants <wink wink>). And Man has the Spidey waves given us some great characters lately.?

it doesn’t make sense to me to have say a Spidey, Cap or Iron Man wave without  those guys getting a new figure in the lineup.Now a full on Avengers or X wave can do well without Cap, IM or Wolverine as long as other requested characters get their shot.