Black Widow wave Confirmed?

tarot

10 hours ago, McHogan said:

Also agree with those who think this will be a MCU/ Comic mixed set. I believe MCU only sets are our reward after a movie make a kagillion dollars 

Yeah MCU only seems to happen when a movie does massively well or Hasbro great underestimate its success

6 hours ago, leokearon said:

Yeah MCU only seems to happen when a movie does massively well or Hasbro great underestimate its success

Ya, they always seem to have one of those "emergency waves" locked and loaded. I'm predicting this movie to be a huge success, I just don't see there being that many characters that could fill an entire 2nd all movie wave, but I could see there being two half and half waves. I could be wrong. They could just totally load the movie up with characters that we're not even aware of yet. Black Panther was a little bit of an anomaly because there was a little bit of an army builder where we basically got three of the same female figures with a little paint and detail changes.

Edit: on second thought, I just assumed Natasha and Yelena would be a single figure head swap, but if their uniforms are different enough they could be two separate figs. Also they could do a Iron Maiden figure depending on how she shows up in the movie. It would however break Hasbro's no more than 2 females per wave taboo and though I think the MCU female figures are some of Hasbro's best work I don't think that's a formula that's ever gonna be broken. How many times did Shuri get pushed back for this reason? The Wasp figure is one of the most beautiful pieces I've seen in action figures hands down, but there's gotta be at least a dozen warming the pegs at all my area Walmarts.

21 minutes ago, monron999 said:

Ya, they always seem to have one of those "emergency waves" locked and loaded. I'm predicting this movie to be a huge success, I just don't see there being that many characters that could fill an entire 2nd all movie wave, but I could see there being two half and half waves. I could be wrong. They could just totally load the movie up with characters that we're not even aware of yet. Black Panther was a little bit of an anomaly because there was a little bit of an army builder where we basically got three of the same female figures with a little paint and detail changes.

Edit: on second thought, I just assumed Natasha and Yelena would be a single figure head swap, but if their uniforms are different enough they could be two separate figs. Also they could do a Iron Maiden figure depending on how she shows up in the movie. It would however break Hasbro's no more than 2 females per wave taboo and though I think the MCU female figures are some of Hasbro's best work I don't think that's a formula that's ever gonna be broken. How many times did Shuri get pushed back for this reason? The Wasp figure is one of the most beautiful pieces I've seen in action figures hands down, but there's gotta be at least a dozen warming the pegs at all my area Walmarts.

Going off my wishlist, a full wave could include

1. White Suit Natasha
  2. Mason
  3. Melina
  4. Ray Winstone's character
  5. Olivier Richters's character
  6. Someone else depending on anymore casting news

I think most have figured out that hasbro always plays it safe with the first of a franchise. Look at GOTG, Ant-man (the only reason he didn't get a full wave for the second movie was because of being released so close to Infinity war), Dr. Strange, Black Panther and Captain Marvel. All successful film that got mediocre waves. In Hasbro and indeed many other companies, it's better to be safe then sorry if the movie flops. hasn't happened yet but it will eventually.

17 minutes ago, tarot said:

Ant-man (the only reason he didn't get a full wave for the second movie was because of being released so close to Infinity war)

That and I'm sure the pegwarming didn't help. Don't get me wrong, I loved those figures and bought them the second I found them, but the reality is they're still pegwarming, awesome as they are.

1 hour ago, tarot said:

I think most have figured out that hasbro always plays it safe with the first of a franchise. Look at GOTG, Ant-man (the only reason he didn't get a full wave for the second movie was because of being released so close to Infinity war), Dr. Strange, Black Panther and Captain Marvel. All successful film that got mediocre waves. In Hasbro and indeed many other companies, it's better to be safe then sorry if the movie flops. hasn't happened yet but it will eventually.

Better to be safe than sorry

weird times we are in when some of the most impressive figures in terms of sculpting pegwarm. although they are pegwarming after everyone who wanted one  got one, not like Ant-man, Wasp etc. always were overlooked. I too grabbed my set as soon as they saw them. 

Just a observation that we are in unique times as collectors. 

2 hours ago, tarot said:

I think aside from playing it safe, other factors include:

A) they seem to usually be working from concept art and/or can't spoil stuff, both of which limit how good an mcu wave can be when its timed to release when the movie comes out

B) mcu figs tend to involve more new parts so having a few comic figs cobbled together mostly from re-use helps keeps  the overall cost for the wave down.  note that when we do get all-mcu waves there tends to be a lot of re-use from earlier mcu figures

Mentioning that 1st GotG wave, kinda funny to think that since we've gotten better versions of all the mcu characters, Nova is really the top figure in that wave at this point.  Although since i never got the titus wave Drax i still rely on the older version, even with his bland neutral expression.

I actually mostly liked the Doctor Strange wave aside from Mordo and Astral Strange. And with Mordo it was mainly just that the character design was pretty bland.  It was nice to get figures for Voodoo, Nico Minoru, and Enchantress  and in retrospect i wish i had grabbed Iron Fist as well. 

Gotta agree that Ant-man, BP and Cap Marvel all had pretty weak waves. I thought the GotG vol 2 waves were OK though, certainly i appreciated getting improved versions of the mcu characters and i liked the cosmic characters they threw in, just think the BAFs could've been better.

2 hours ago, memocromatico said:

That and I'm sure the pegwarming didn't help. Don't get me wrong, I loved those figures and bought them the second I found them, but the reality is they're still pegwarming, awesome as they are.

Ant-Man seemed to mostly clear out once Endgame hit.  Still see him from time-to-time but it's almost all Wasps around here nowadays.  At least they haven't been hanging around as long as the Janice-Beetles, though.

13 hours ago, McHogan said:

weird times we are in when some of the most impressive figures in terms of sculpting pegwarm. although they are pegwarming after everyone who wanted one  got one, not like Ant-man, Wasp etc. always were overlooked. I too grabbed my set as soon as they saw them. 

Just a observation that we are in unique times as collectors. 

Yeah, it is strange

22 minutes ago, mako said:

Just goes to show, nobody can predict this stuff. Sure there are always gonna be consistent performers, there's the occasional lucky guess, but at the end of the day its a craps-shoot.

Which is why I feel like it's not entirely Hasbro's fault when a figure sells out sooner than expected.

43 minutes ago, mako said:

Just goes to show, nobody can predict this stuff. Sure there are always gonna be consistent performers, there's the occasional lucky guess, but at the end of the day its a craps-shoot.

That's true, the Cull Obsidian wave is a good example, Wasp is a shelf warmer even though it's a great toy and based on an MCU character, while the lesser known comic figures like Black Knight and Maleketh surprisingly fly of the shelves.

1 hour ago, leokearon said:

That's true, the Cull Obsidian wave is a good example, Wasp is a shelf warmer even though it's a great toy and based on an MCU character, while the lesser known comic figures like Black Knight and Maleketh surprisingly fly of the shelves.

Malekith pegwarmed pretty hard in my neck of the woods.  Not as bad as Wasp but definitely a pegwarmer, on par with Ant-Man.  Black Knight was borderline in the sense of "saw him on shelves several times."  Widow and particularly Thor were the tougher ones to find here.

41 minutes ago, Jmacq1 said:

Malekith pegwarmed pretty hard in my neck of the woods.  Not as bad as Wasp but definitely a pegwarmer, on par with Ant-Man.  Black Knight was borderline in the sense of "saw him on shelves several times."  Widow and particularly Thor were the tougher ones to find here.

Over here, Wasp was/is the only shelf warmer. Ant Man was a close second but as mentioned Endgame seemed to have help shift him. I, m not sure Thor was even released over here

I think Black Knight sold pretty well because in addition to being a long-sought avengers figure he also has the crossover appeal of fitting into any sort of 1:12 D & D / medieval type display, and with 3 heads i'm sure there are some collectors who bought multiples.   

It's weird, sometimes hasbro is very clever about making figures people will want to buy more than one of (Dani Moonstar comes to mind) but then other times they drop the ball when it comes to figures that should be army-builders.  Guess I'm mostly thinking of the Kree Sentry wave where it feels like with a few tweaks, Talos and Yon-Rogg could both have been great for building kree and skrull armies.  with yon rogg give him a couple of alternate blue heads (maybe one helmeted and one not) and an additional rifle.  with talos give him hands that can actually hold a gun, plus an alternate head, plus some sort of ray gun or rifle.  Just seems like a missed opportunity to me.  Of course in theory the BAF should have been an army builder too but it seemed like most people weren't that interested in building him at all.

2 hours ago, mako said:

Which brings up another good point. A lot of what peg-warms is regional. What flies off the pegs in one area might warm the pegs in another.

And timing can determine which pegwarms as well. a lot of big box stores are late to the party and by the time the get on shelves at Meijer, Target or Walmart, most collectors had lost patience and grabbed the figures they wanted online. I know I have gotten antsy and pulled the trigger because I was tired of seeing empty pegs. Then weeks after I’ve had my figures I check these stores and they had finally arrived only for me to leave them as they lie (not made of money you know). This must be fairly common as figures I would expect to fly from the shelf hang for weeks. A good example are both recent retro XMen and XForce waves. Only saw the likes of Wolverine, Boom Boom, etc months after people were posting about finding them in the wild. So I pulled the trigger on Mr. Sinister, Nightcrawler, and Guardian from Pulse. Then today I walk into a local Meijers and all 3 are on the pegs. Now I’m sure all three will be gone in no time but my impatience will prove to be someone’s very good day. Bet if these box stores could find a way to get these sooner many of the more common figures would be snatched up quickly

11 hours ago, McHogan said:

And timing can determine which pegwarms as well. a lot of big box stores are late to the party and by the time the get on shelves at Meijer, Target or Walmart, most collectors had lost patience and grabbed the figures they wanted online. I know I have gotten antsy and pulled the trigger because I was tired of seeing empty pegs. Then weeks after I’ve had my figures I check these stores and they had finally arrived only for me to leave them as they lie (not made of money you know). This must be fairly common as figures I would expect to fly from the shelf hang for weeks. A good example are both recent retro XMen and XForce waves. Only saw the likes of Wolverine, Boom Boom, etc months after people were posting about finding them in the wild. So I pulled the trigger on Mr. Sinister, Nightcrawler, and Guardian from Pulse. Then today I walk into a local Meijers and all 3 are on the pegs. Now I’m sure all three will be gone in no time but my impatience will prove to be someone’s very good day. Bet if these box stores could find a way to get these sooner many of the more common figures would be snatched up quickly

Not trying to come down on you, but have the X-Force and Retro waves actually been hitting for "months?"  Pretty sure they only started really hitting shelves in August.  There might have been a few early outliers (Gamestop) in July but I'm pretty certain it was no earlier than that.

I've noticed a trend among collectors to inflate time spans in this manner before.  You see folks talking about "finally" getting a figure and it's only been hitting actual retail shelves for a couple of weeks, if that.  I think the cycle of reveal/preorder/actually hitting shelves messes with our heads and makes us feel like stuff has been out longer than it really has or something.

44 minutes ago, Jmacq1 said:

Not trying to come down on you, but have the X-Force and Retro waves actually been hitting for "months?"  Pretty sure they only started really hitting shelves in August.  There might have been a few early outliers (Gamestop) in July but I'm pretty certain it was no earlier than that.

I've noticed a trend among collectors to inflate time spans in this manner before.  You see folks talking about "finally" getting a figure and it's only been hitting actual retail shelves for a couple of weeks, if that.  I think the cycle of reveal/preorder/actually hitting shelves messes with our heads and makes us feel like stuff has been out longer than it really has or something.

I'm thinking in this accelerated time frame when we're getting so much product (finally), I think it just seems like things have been on the shelves for months. When the X-Factor wave came out in my area I immediately hunted them down and then eventually a 2nd set as well, but having gotten everything I needed so soon after release it does seem like they've been on the pegs for an extended amount of time. There are Cannonball and Boom Boom figures just hanging out as far as the eye can see. And when you're getting excited about the next release it makes that time between seem even longer.

1 hour ago, Jmacq1 said:

Yeah I totally agree. Obviously it somewhat depends on how much effort you’ve put into hunting, as Mako said, but I always chuckle when someone talks about “finally” finding a figure from a wave that hasn’t even hit shelves in a lot of places  hey,  I glad the collector found the figure they wanted but it comes across as a little melodramatic. No harm done though

also agree that x-force and retro didn’t really seem to hit stores until August, altho I think GameStop might have gotten some of them in a bit earlier