Walgreens Exclusive Marvel Legends 6" Emma Frost Figure Available Online

JayC

This morning, BigBadToyStore listed Emma Frost for $29.99... but a few hours later the product page disappeared from BBTS too.  I had it bookmarked and now it comes up as an error page, not "Sold Out" like BBTS usually specifies.

No big loss, I wasn't willing to pay that much anyway.  But something strange is going on behind the scenes.

4 hours ago, Chewblacca said:

Exclusives if easy to get, like online or in a store are great. Having to sit in front of a computer and F5ing hoping to get one before it sells out is horrible. Also have a limited quantity in a certain store is just as bad. These two sales methods just feeds the scalpers and make it difficult for regular fans to get only 1. I hope Hasbro makes a lot of Moonstars. With 3 heads people are going to want to buy a few.

Luckily since the mold is little more than a slightly modified Kate Bishop buck they'll probably produce them in a much larger quantity than a more specialized buck like Thing. I hope they're smart enough to understand how how much they can cash in on the fact that many people will be buying at least 3. Personally I only need 2, for Dani and Karma. All bets are on that Wolfsbane will appear pretty soon in 90's X-Factor gear.

9 hours ago, leokearon said:

In an ideal there would be no exclusive figures

Agreed. In the long run I don't see anyone benefitting from it except scalpers. I'm no economics major, but providing a product to just one vendor for a limited run cant be as lucrative as offering it to a larger audience to purchase, I would think. Someone can feel free to enlighten me....but just seems like wasted opportunity for Hasbro.

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

Agreed. In the long run I don't see anyone benefitting from it except scalpers. I'm no economics major, but providing a product to just one vendor for a limited run cant be as lucrative as offering it to a larger audience to purchase, I would think. Someone can feel free to enlighten me....but just seems like wasted opportunity for Hasbro.

The stores ask for the exclusives, so they either have to pay Hasbro to get them or Hasbro get a bigger profit out of them.

Emma Frost is a prime example of this exclusive business not making any sense. I keep seeing people in America with Walgreens unable to get Emma and yet I live in Ireland with no Walgreens and I managed to buy it in a Comic Shop in Dublin for less than most Marvel legends figures at here.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:17 AM, Atlantis said:

Also got the "Not Available" notice. Tried it 3x and kept showing as not there. For whatever reason I tried once more and this time got through. I wasn't going to sweat it because this version is ok to me, but not the one I want (which we all know is coming down the line, barring some major trade/economic catastrophe) , but I had some extra spending $, so Emma made it in.

And today I get an email saying they cancelled my order because they no longer have it in stock.

Am I p1ssed? Yes. If it was out of stock why did you give me a CONFIRMATION order number...

I had to drive out to Warrington PA, today, so I decided to try my luck at a few Walgreens in that area.  Unfortunately, I got into a minor car accident on the way.  Minor, but time consuming.  So, by the time I actually walked into Walgreens, I was not feeling very optimistic.  But then I spotted the last Emma Frost on the shelf.  Well, at least something good happened today.

Be careful out there!

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:07 AM, Darth_Primus said:

I'd be so down for a White Queen Emma.   Hasbro could easily make for it vintage X-Men line.

Or....they could surprise us and put her in a box set along with Sebastian Shaw, Mastermind and JG Black Queen and a Hellfire club drone. As long as they put her in the CORRECT body buck I'd be in.

On 9/14/2019 at 11:31 PM, monron999 said:

Luckily since the mold is little more than a slightly modified Kate Bishop buck they'll probably produce them in a much larger quantity than a more specialized buck like Thing. I hope they're smart enough to understand how how much they can cash in on the fact that many people will be buying at least 3. Personally I only need 2, for Dani and Karma. All bets are on that Wolfsbane will appear pretty soon in 90's X-Factor gear.

I wonder if they over corrected, feeling the heat over the peg warming exclusives of the past that stores often have in droves. They decided to ship waaaaaaay less of them.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:53 PM, leokearon said:

In an ideal there would be no exclusive figures

I'm no financial whiz but I cant see the real advantage to Hasbro for going the exclusive route. Its not like they get to charge more...but then, somebody out there probably knows more than me on this....

4 hours ago, Atlantis said:

I'm no financial whiz but I cant see the real advantage to Hasbro for going the exclusive route. Its not like they get to charge more...but then, somebody out there probably knows more than me on this....

It's the stores that ask for the exclusive products,  so they can get more customers. 

The theory of course is that collectors who don't normally go to WG will go there to find the exclusive and perhaps do some additional shopping while they are there.  I'm not sure how that pans out, since i've pretty much never bought anything at WG other than MLs.  Its my least favorite retailer to toy hunt since the store is small enough that i feel awkward going in, making a beeline to the toy section, and then leaving empty-handed thirty seconds later.  Gamestop can be similar but at least the employees usually have enough nerd credentials to kind of get it.

My understanding is that as long as a retailer is willing to commit to buying a certain number of units for the exclusive and also orders/sells a certain quantity of other ML figures annually ,  hasbro will work with them to come up with an exclusive.  While I'm sure there is some back-and-forth between the two sides as far as which character they choose for the exclusive, i think for the most part Hasbro only offers up figures that they hadn't planned on incorporating into waves due within at least a year of the exclusive's release.   Obviously we've gotten other versions of  Ant-man, Punisher, Daredevil, and Namor since their WG exclusives came out and now FF and Doom are getting wide-release figures as well.

For awhile, it seemed like the WG exclusives mostly consisted of  comic versions (often variants) of characters that had appeared or were maybe going to  appear in a marvel movie/tv show.  An Emma figure makes sense given that she was a key character in the original Dark Phoenix saga, even if she ultimately didn't appear in the movie.  Mystique of course actually WAS  in Dark Phoenix, and Lilandra again was a key character in the comics saga even if she didn't make it into the film.  Similarly, Dani Moonstar makes sense given that the new mutants movie was *supposed* to come out.  However, this theory doesn't work well for Infamous Doom or Silver Surfer, so make of it what you will.

Ultimately though these are all just my speculations or what i've read online, i'd definitely be interested in hearing more about how the exclusive process works, though.