With the Whole Spider Man Thing Will we Still Spider Man Figures

Crossbones666

This has been asked already and there should be a thread about it as well but I will answer anyway.

Spider-man figures have nothing (zero, zip, nada) to do with the Sony and Disney break up. this is because of a number of reasons.

First and foremost, Disney have 100% right to any and all mechandise rights to the characters. Sony only has the Movie rights, nothing else. Not tv, games, comic and action figures. Just movie rights. 

Secondly, Spider-man is Marvel's most profitable character ever. Maybe the most profitable character in comics as a whole. Hasbro and Disney will never stop making figure for him for as long as the company exists. 

Finally, while Hasbro could make Sony movie figure, they wouldn't as they don't want to break the partnership with Disney as, as it has been reported, the Marvel licence is what is selling the most of all of Hasbro's line. They do not want to lose it so they will stick with Disney.

14 minutes ago, Crossbones666 said:

Pretty much the only movie figures we've gotten from Marvel Legends have been MCU figures.

That's a lie. Not counting the Sandman BaF fiasco wave from 2007 (which was before Disney bought Marvel, and before the MCU started), we've gotten figures from both Amazing Spider-Man and Amazing Spiderman 2. We got 2 ASM Spideys and one Lizard, and for ASM2 we got an updated Spidey and Electro. Granted, they weren't ML, but they're 6" and decently articulated. Plus, they're from a time when ML was just getting it's act back together. 

Them being movie merchandise it's unlikely they'll revisit them or give updates, but recently we got Into the Spiderverse colored Miles and SpiderGwen, not exactly movie depictions, but inspired by. So I wouldn't rule out Hasbro making non MCU movie Spideys in the future.

8 minutes ago, Engine33 said:

I don’t know. They stopped making X-Men movie figures because they did not want to promote the fox movies 

That's probably because they didn't have the full right to the movie figure (comic book figure they had the rights to). if they did make movie figure, the profits would go to Fox.

As far as Comic Spider-Man figures go , No they will never stop making those

as for Sony Spider-Man movie figures, I'm quite certain we won't get any ever again

Hasbro only makes Movie figures for Disney Properties, and I am highly certain this won't change, look we never got a movie Venom, we never got Movie Deadpools for instance and both of those would sell like hot cakes, so no way are Hasbro going to break that

5 hours ago, Crossbones666 said:

Pretty much the only movie figures we've gotten from Marvel Legends have been MCU figures. So if Sony makes their own Spider Man movies that aren't in the MCU like before then does that mean we won't get figures from those movies?

Youre  dreaming. Spider-Man is just way too lucrative....probably one of the reasons Sony didn't want to return Spidey to Marvel (CU).  But I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter because Sony only owns the movie rights- not the figures or any other merchandise. Years ago Marvel panicked and sold Spidey movie rights off; you know they wished they could get Mr. Fantastic to rig up Dr Doom's time platform and go back to change that!! Fools!!

This is agood thing for the comic figure fans and a bad thing for movie figure fans, plain and simple. Even though Hasbro would be well within its contract to do movie figures of Sony movies, they wouldn't dare piss off big daddy Disney. Honestly though, if you have one movie figure, you pretty much have them all. Not much to them at all, aside from Iron Spider and Stealth Suit. A few minor aesthetical changes and a slight color palette change and a new movie Spidey you got. The good thing about having all comic Spidey waves is we'll most likely start to get some of those much wanted figures like Cardiac, Carion and Vermin and maybe some more New Warriors. Bad thing is we're probably get a lot more filler crap like Doppleganger, Spider-Ham and about a million simbiote clones.

12 minutes ago, monron999 said:

This is agood thing for the comic figure fans and a bad thing for movie figure fans, plain and simple. Even though Hasbro would be well within its contract to do movie figures of Sony movies, they wouldn't dare piss off big daddy Disney. Honestly though, if you have one movie figure, you pretty much have them all. Not much to them at all, aside from Iron Spider and Stealth Suit. A few minor aesthetical changes and a slight color palette change and a new movie Spidey you got. The good thing about having all comic Spidey waves is we'll most likely start to get some of those much wanted figures like Cardiac, Carion and Vermin and maybe some more New Warriors. Bad thing is we're probably get a lot more filler crap like Doppleganger, Spider-Ham and about a million simbiote clones.

Maybe a GOOD Spider-Ham and the Gwen Stacy that I want so very much...

I mean, they did make figures for Amazing Spider-man, altho i don't think they were part of the ML line.  IIRC last year's Sauron BAF used parts from the Amazing Spider-man Lizard figure.

OTOH the point that we didn't get a "movie" venom figure is well-taken.. but i assume Hasbro felt that the venom wave covered it.. that monster venom in particular feels like a decent stand-in for the movie version.    I can understand why hasbro hasn't made figures for the Fox movies due to having to share merchandising profits.

In short, its kind of up in the air.  I know both the homecoming 2-pack and the iron spidey pack (that i've never seen in the wild) both seemed to be pretty popular, but i'm not sure about how well the mcu spideys from the molten man wave sold since that wave barely seemed to show up in stores around here

7 hours ago, MCU_Legend_Hunter said:

Sony is gonna come back to Disney so theres no need to even worry. I refuse to believe they are seriously this stupid.

Ya, the latest is that they are working on a deal that would give Disney 30% percent of Spider-Profits under the condition that they also bring Venom into the MCU which they would also get 30% of. Hey, Venom in the MCU from now on, with a legit chance of making it into a 3rd Spider-Man movie, where do I sign the petition? The fact that this is not being negotiated out in the open under mass public scrutiny signals to me that this might be legit. Everyone knows real negotiations take place in private. Rumor is Feige had some role in development in the Venom film and the time frame and relation to the rest of the universe were left ambiguous on purpose under the possibility that he may eventually appear in the MCU. Sony may be playing right into Disney's hands, but if at the end everyone is profitable and the fans are all happy, what's the harm?

It's possible we might not get strictly movie-based figures unless/until Sony and Marvel come back together.  Then again, we might.  They did do at least a couple or three figures for ASM2.

We'll still get comic-based stuff though.  Spider-Man was just too lucrative for Marvel to "throttle back" on marketing/merchandise the way they did Fantastic Four and X-Men for several years.  He's Marvel's single most popular and recognized character.

5 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

I mean, they did make figures for Amazing Spider-man, altho i don't think they were part of the ML line.  IIRC last year's Sauron BAF used parts from the Amazing Spider-man Lizard figure.

OTOH the point that we didn't get a "movie" venom figure is well-taken.. but i assume Hasbro felt that the venom wave covered it.. that monster venom in particular feels like a decent stand-in for the movie version.    I can understand why hasbro hasn't made figures for the Fox movies due to having to share merchandising profits.

In short, its kind of up in the air.  I know both the homecoming 2-pack and the iron spidey pack (that i've never seen in the wild) both seemed to be pretty popular, but i'm not sure about how well the mcu spideys from the molten man wave sold since that wave barely seemed to show up in stores around here

Amazing Spider-Man figures weren't technically Marvel legends figures, they were in the style but not the Brand, Amazing Spider-Man 2 Figures were part of Marvel Legends. 

At the end of the day, it is really up to Hasbro on whether they really want to make figures based on future Spidey movies

1 hour ago, leokearon said:

Amazing Spider-Man figures weren't technically Marvel legends figures, they were in the style but not the Brand, Amazing Spider-Man 2 Figures were part of Marvel Legends. 

At the end of the day, it is really up to Hasbro on whether they really want to make figures based on future Spidey movies

again this is all the same as if you consider the Toybiz Classic Lines (Spidey, X-men, Fantastic Four, Hulk etc) as part of the Marvel Legends, which according to a number of polls I have run, most people do. Also the people who don't also don't think the Spider-man trilogy wave is not part of the ML line either.

8 minutes ago, tarot said:

again this is all the same as if you consider the Toybiz Classic Lines (Spidey, X-men, Fantastic Four, Hulk etc) as part of the Marvel Legends, which according to a number of polls I have run, most people do. Also the people who don't also don't think the Spider-man trilogy wave is not part of the ML line either.

I would count them, Officially they probably wouldn't since they weren't branded as Marvel Legends hence the word technically

20 minutes ago, tarot said:

Well, those were done back in the day where ML had very very few movie style figures in the line up. Hasbro, still new to the ML game was intending to do waves specific to movie licenses separate from the standard ML line but with the same design. Between this line and the Iron Man lines, which actually had comic figures, they eventually settled on the strategy they use today. All that aside, they were most definitely part of the ML evolution.

30 minutes ago, tarot said:

Also the people who don't also don't think the Spider-man trilogy wave is not part of the ML line either.

I'd rule this one out since it's from before the MCU started, or Disney bought Marvel. That's why in my post I limited to ASM figures. 

8 minutes ago, monron999 said:

Well, those were done back in the day where ML had very very few movie style figures in the line up. 

Not only were we getting few movie figures from Hasbro, we were getting few figures, period. There's a huge gap between 2008 and 2012 when they finally started producing more waves.