Older figure feedback?

Benn

I've been collecting the entirety of the X-Men offerings from the Infinite series, and I was pretty resolved that I was going to stick only to Infinite because I feel like Toy Biz's Legends figures were often over-articulated messes of joints, often with weird exaggerated faces, and Hasbro's early offerings were often just weirdly scaled or sculpted. But then I found a really good deal on the Astonishing X-Men Beast, which coincided with catching up to Hasbro on finishing my Infinite collection, and it has me wondering if there might be some other older figures it would be worth trying to track down. Does anyone have feedback on any of the following, in terms of sculpt, scale, articulation, consistency with current offerings, etc.? There are a few others I'd consider too, but I feel like they're much more likely to just get updated figures soon, so I left them off the list (Longshot, Lady Deathstrike, Pyro, Havok, etc.). Thanks!

• Angel (sentinel)
  • X-23 (Apocalypse)
  • Xorn (Blob)
  • Danger (brood queen)
  • Spiral (Red Hulk)
  • Fantomex (Arnim Zola)
  • Daken (Arnim Zola)
  • Cyclops (Puck)

• Angel (sentinel) - The wings are the only thing you want from this as the body would not work with modern figures and is weirdly disportioned.
  • X-23 (Apocalypse) - Stay away. Only use the Hasbro versions.
  • Xorn (Blob)- get this if you want every new character. The only other one from this time was the Wolverine but that is hard to come by.
  • Danger (brood queen) - Great figure. Recommend getting her for you X-men members or Villians.
  • Spiral (Red Hulk) - another great figure but hard to come by
  • Fantomex (Arnim Zola) - Get this if you want to complete the uncanny team
  • Daken (Arnim Zola) - Not really recommend for X-teams as it is mostly for the Dark Avengers.
  • Cyclops (Puck) - would work with the Colossus and Emma Frost figure but otherwise can be skipped.

9 hours ago, Benn said:

I've been collecting the entirety of the X-Men offerings from the Infinite series, and I was pretty resolved that I was going to stick only to Infinite because I feel like Toy Biz's Legends figures were often over-articulated messes of joints, often with weird exaggerated faces, and Hasbro's early offerings were often just weirdly scaled or sculpted. But then I found a really good deal on the Astonishing X-Men Beast, which coincided with catching up to Hasbro on finishing my Infinite collection, and it has me wondering if there might be some other older figures it would be worth trying to track down. Does anyone have feedback on any of the following, in terms of sculpt, scale, articulation, consistency with current offerings, etc.? There are a few others I'd consider too, but I feel like they're much more likely to just get updated figures soon, so I left them off the list (Longshot, Lady Deathstrike, Pyro, Havok, etc.). Thanks!

• Angel (sentinel)
  • X-23 (Apocalypse)
  • Xorn (Blob)
  • Danger (brood queen)
  • Spiral (Red Hulk)
  • Fantomex (Arnim Zola)
  • Daken (Arnim Zola)
  • Cyclops (Puck)

Of these, I only have Angel and Fantomex. Mainly because they didn't grab me- either I never cared for the character or the figure just wasn't worth the money. Angel was very good, but we all know he's gonna get a new version very soon (I'd say easily within next 2 years). I can only hope the wings on the new version will be as good if not better than the ones on the toybiz figure.

Fanotmex shouldn't be hard to upgrade at all. The existing figure is great for its time, but again, we all know Hasbro has improved sculpts and articulation, so I'd just save my money and wait for the new ones release.

I agree the Angel is a little weird looking. He has a big chest. His face is a little dull. The wings are big. He’s good.

X-23 sucks.

Xorn is alright. The plastic seems weird to me. His unhelmeted head is a little small. 

I like Spiral. I don’t like Hasbro’s single joint elbows. She’s a good one too.

Of the others you mentioned, Havok is simple, but cool. His joints are fine. Longshot is good too. Lady Deathstrike could be improved upon by Hasbro. Pyro is OK. He should have come with some flame accessories. His head was misprinted on mine I think.

On 9/21/2019 at 9:23 AM, Benn said:

• Angel (sentinel)
  • X-23 (Apocalypse)
  • Xorn (Blob)
  • Danger (brood queen)
  • Spiral (Red Hulk)
  • Fantomex (Arnim Zola)
  • Daken (Arnim Zola)
  • Cyclops (Puck)

-Skip Angel, the body was weird even for the time.  If you want a regular Angel, I'd recommend the X-Men Classics version from around 2006.  The wings aren't so large and are better articulated, and even though it's a little out of date (and the costume was entirely made up) it's still a great figure.

-Definitely skip X-23, the moment the Sasquatch wave one came out I put this one away for good, not a well proportioned figure.

-Xorn and Danger are fine, so is Spiral, the scaling may be a little off, as I remember those to be small(ish) figures at the time.

-Fantomex is a must if you want that Uncanny X-Force team from Rick Remender's run.  Yeah the coat and the articulation are really outdated, and probably this one will be revisited, but if the price is right I'd go for it.

-Daken is the same issue as Fantomex, if you want/need the character, then go for it.  It's on an outdated mold, but I doubt he'll be revisited, at least in this look.

-If you want a Utopia Cyclops this one still holds up wonderfully.  It's on the Bucky Cap mold, so it's essentially as good as any other Cyclops we've gotten, just comes down to costume preference really.

As for the other figures you mentioned, I'd skip them except maybe Pyro at a decent price.  They don't hold up nearly as well against newer Legends, and as for Havok, it's a costume preference, the figure is fine, if a bit out dated, but if you want that look it seems to represent it well.

Yeah people pretty much got this but I'd say

Only ones worth buying that would be nice in a collection with the newer style Hasbro Infinite series, that actually look good

would be Cyclops, Spiral, Danger and Fantomex , maybe if you really need Xorn (but it could look better)

the others I'd say no, Angel if awful (minus wings) , X-23 is hideous as they get, Dakan is a bad skinny weird mold.

• 4 weeks later...

They had some good figures back when hasbeen first took over, but lets face it....they are seriously outdated now. Better molds, better paints, better articulation, better options such as alternate heads/fists etc. pretty much leave all of those earlier works in the dust. I for one plan on removing the older figures out as soon as Hasbro does their modern-day update.

Yup, my comments won't add much, buuuut....

1. Angel (pass) - He has that weird massive shoulder thing going with his arms pushed way out to his sides. It's the same body mold as the Hasbro Wal-Mart exclusive Silver Surfer. A victim of trying to pack in too much articulation.

2. X-23 (pass+) Ughhh, an abominatiin of a figure. Head is massive, limbs are sickly skinny. She's supposed to be young, but they made this one look like a pedophiles prepubescent fantasy. The only redeeming characteristic is the fold away toe claws.

3. Xorn (fair) - He was a diamond in the rough in the Blob wave. Second only to She-Hulk. Excellent sculpt and detail, but very stiff and very small, even as compared to TB's smaller scale. Looks good but won't fit in with the modern figs.

4. Danger (fair+) - Looks really good, very well sculpted, but even stiffer than Xorn and as brittle as an SH Figuarts figure. Hips are all but impossible to pose. Luckily she's usually only ever shown in a standing prone position. If you're looking for static posed figure she's the best at it.

5. Spiral (good+) - Hands down the best figure from the Rulk wave. The only new, even good sculpt of the bunch and an innovative way to do multi-arms. Makes one wonder WTF happened with those two deuces they laid in the recent Spider-Man waves. Still had those stupid rotating ankles and still undersized for today's scale.

6. Fantomex (must) - Decent representation of a figure that may never get a reboot. Pretty spot on with the sleeveless duster (it's not a trench coat, guys) on an existing, yet under utilized and unappreciated buck. If it didn't have those ball hips it would hold up under today's standards.

7. Daken (bad+) - Head sculpt was good but the rest was done on the absolute most dated and overused buck at the time. Not sure how they did it but Hasbro retooled the Bullsey mold and made it look even more rudimentary. Saddest thing is we will probably never see him again in this suit.

8 Cyclops (must) - It's the Bucky Cap mold which was the best at the time and still one of the best all purpose molds in circulation (IMO). It fits right in with modern figures and pretty much everything from the Puck wave is HTF. Get it if the price is right.

Added note: Fantomex is almost worth getting for the guns alone. Back then they had quite a selection of pistols that were a hella lot better than those stupid looking Luger type pistols they use for every character who carries.