Top BAFs of the Year?

Lord_Scareglow

So It seems that at this point we are not getting anymore BAF waves, and surprisingly enough it's felt like a some what lackluster year in terms of BAFs, so granted inless something pops up between now and Dec (maybe NYCC shows off a final BAF wave??), it's looking like we have all of our BAF figs of the year, so that being said what are the peoples top BAFs? lets go with top 3 , if you really want make it 5, but I'm interested to know (and I'm betting Kingpin wil be sitting pretty as numero uno on most lists)

for me

1. Wendigo (personally have wanted this figure re-done since Infinite series came around and I'm so happy with it standing next to Sasquatch)

2. Caliban (he's huge scary and colorful, and always was a character I loved the look of , knew instantly I had to build him)

3. Molten Man (despite his largely uninteresting turn out in the movie, and the figure kinda resembling a shambling turd, he was infact quite vastly unique in terms of looks and parts, plus his translucent internal magma aspect was something entirely new on a BAF, he certainly stands out despite his downfalls)

To me at least, this year falls way short of the BAF offerings for 2018.  The only one i've completed so far all year is M'Baku, whom I like quite a bit.. although you could definitely make the case that he could have just been a figure in the wave.  I'm  half done with Wendigo, Prof Hulk, and Caliban, and prioritize completing them in that order. 

I'm guessing for most folks Kingpin is probably BAF of the year, i  don't really like the character selection for that wave so i haven't really considered building him yet. Maybe if the wave had gone on clearance i might've tried but most of the figures haven't  really dropped that much in price (i chalk that up to the strength of the BAF). Kingpin definitely looks great, hopefully he will be re-released in a 2-pack with spidey or DD at some point.

After buying most of hasbro's ML output over the past few years, i decided to try and cherry pick waves a lot more this year and for the most part was successful for that. So in this case, not having a ton of BAFs i found really desirable actually helped a lot in achieving that goal.

Personally, i have very little interest in building Kree Sentry, Armored Thanos, or Molten Man.  While i have some misgivings about Bro-Thor, i would've purchased him as either a regular wave figure or even as part of a $50 2-pack, but not as  a BAF.

Again, compared to last year, where we got Sauron, Monster Venom, Apocalypse, Lizard, Sasquatch, and Cull Obsidian, among others, this year's offerings seem lackluster in comparison imo.. but it worked out to my benefit so no complaints.  I find it much more liberating to collect without worrying about BAFs.  Much easier on the wallet as well, plus saves some space.

To be honest compare to last year none of the BAF overwhelmed me this year compare to last year where we have some of the best BAF to date.

If I was to rank them all

1. Kingpin is obvious as it was need for an update.
  2. Kree sentry is next because I like that the BAF i predicted came true
  3. Caliban is great as it is another obscure character and people know my love for the obscure
  4. M'Baku could have been released as a regular figure but it is a great figure
  5. Wendigo is a great figure and is a bit of an improvement over the older one but I like the classic version better
  6. Prof Hulk is another one that is nice but we have so many hulk and this isn't even accurate to the movie except for a few scenes.
  7. Thanos is not a great figure in general
  8. Molten Man shouldn't have been a baf. he is in the movie for about ten minutes and the figure is not well executed.

I didn't include Bro Thor cause I don't have it.

2 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

I find it much more liberating to collect without worrying about BAFs.  Much easier on the wallet as well, plus saves some space.

Agreed!  That was certainly the case for me with Professor Hulk, Molten Man, and Thanos.  Those may be fine figures, but I don't do MCU stuff so I can get who I want from the waves and ignore the rest.  No surprises for my top three:

• Kingpin
  • Kree Sentry (I love these deeper dives!  Keep 'em coming!)
  • Caliban

My Caliban's arm was broken out of the package.  That's okay though because it was the right arm and I was going to get a second Skullbuster anyway.

1. Smart Hulk

2. Molten Man

3. Thanos

I know Hulk isn't the most wanted look from the movie, but I love how articulated it is and just the way it looks next to my avengers. Even if it's not the most representative from Endgame, it is my favorite look.

Molten man is just so weird and feels so bulky that reminds me of the BaFs of old, I really enjoyed building him and posing him around. Makes me want to get some LEDs to put inside him so he can glow, that translucence is too good to pass up. I just wish we got MCU "Sand Man" and "Hydro Man" too. Paraphrasing Robo from the Fwoosh, a good toy is one you enjoy, and a great toy  makes you want more, and this one makes me want more.

I know Thanos shouldn't have come with the gauntlet, and doesn't have ankle pivot or waist articulation, but it just looks SO GOOD next to the Black Order and fighting Cap. And again, thinking about mixing what I remember from comics with what I love from the movies is how I pictured this figure and I love it.

Wasn't that impressed with the BAF offerings this year.  I mean I completed quite a few, but I mostly did it because those X-Waves were too good.  For number one I'll go with Wendigo.  I just like the paint apps and it's a good update on the classic from the FFF wave.  Kingpin in second place, there's issues with his scale and the way those knees are that  the longer I have him, the more I can't quite get past those qualities.  But all in all, Fisk is, for me anyways, a much more desirable figure that fills a needed space in the collection.  

BAFs have almost never convinced me to buy a wave. If the figures are great and it so happens that they complete a BAF for me, great. Sauron, Cull Obsidian, Kingpin and Kree Sentry were BAFs I wanted, but again wouldn't have gotten them if the individual figures weren't wanted. I don't have the entire Kingpin because Im just not gonna spend the money (only liked 3 of them).

The just-announced F4 wave was mostly a pass for me, till we recently started the discussion as to if the BAF will be Annihilus or Super Skrull.