Spider-Man Is Back In The MCU

JayC

THR is reporting that Sony and Disney have come to an agreement to continue working together on one more Spider-Man which will see release in July 16, 2021.

"I am thrilled that Spidey’s journey in the MCU will continue, and I and all of us at Marvel Studios are very excited that we get to keep working on it,” said Marvel topper Kevin Feige. "Spider-Man is a powerful icon and hero whose story crosses all ages and audiences around the globe. He also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes, so as Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse you never know what surprises the future might hold.”

While all the specifics of the new deal have yet to be revealed, this new arrangement will also allow Spider-Man to continue to be featured in MCU movies.

3 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

only surprised that it came together this quickly, i assume the negative feedback both Disney and Sony were getting was enough to motivate them to get a deal.  I had assumed they'd wait a few years and build up a lot of hype around Spidey's "return" to the mcu

Ditto, I expected at least a year.

1 hour ago, JayC said:

LOL, is anyone really surprised?

A little bit to be honest. I realize you and all the other Feigebots have your narratives but the truth is the Spider-Man franchise is/was not some miserable failure for Sony. The first thing all you clowns bring up with these films is box office and Venom and Spider-Verse had that.

By the way, it'd be great if you stopped pretending you have your finger on the pulse of this industry. Marvelous News, TNI, etc. are great sites, I'll give you that, but you sitting here pretending you knew this would happen all along is complete bulls***, and the people that have been here for years (at least the ones you didn't run off) know that.

23 minutes ago, cjflan32 said:

Now we all get to hear how the "Sony Boycott" worked from the likes of eternal virgins like Jeremy Conrad and morons like Reno, Lordtom, Papasmurf52, leokearon, Falls22, and all the other clowns who wet their Endgame pajamas when the news about the relationship ending broke in August.

Because clearly it was all about that and not a negotiation tactic.

Ouch! That's the kinda talk I used to get away with years ago when this place was much more fun than it is now. These days there's too many hurt feelings to allow this kinda free speaking. I forsee a PM from THE BIG MAN IN CHARGE in your near future. Let's just hope he can keep from calling you names and rearranging your words to credit you with phrases you didn't actually say. But don't hold your breathe.

Yeah, I'm not really surprised, in the sense of this news coming out of left field.  I always figured when Disney asked for half and Sony walked away it was the first step in the negotiations, much like buying a car in the older days, before apps. 

I was pleasantly surprised to read the announcement that Disney and Sony reached a deal without the usual pre-rumors and reportedly "inside sources" leaking onto the internet.   Ya know, typically the websites like "We Got This Covered" or "Cosmic Book News" report something about a rumor or they sources say...

Anyway, this is great and wonderful news as I would like to see what happens now with Spidey/Peter after J. Jonah dropped that bombshell. 

AH ha, I knew this was coming, I refrained from weeping about the previous issues of him being removed, due to my feelings it was all just negotiation tactics I was sure by the end of the year or sooner they'd come to an agreement.

3 hours ago, JayC said:

LOL, is anyone really surprised?

nope I dont think anyonw who knows a little about how thigs work in the real world is more like "It was just a matter of time" jajaja, we all knew that with the success of this Spiderman movies it was in both studio's best intrest to keep the money train rolling (Marvel just wanted a biggercut of the pie, were as sony didnt want to give too much away, it was just a matter of them finding the right number both could live with)
Sony knows that getting on Disney's bad side wasnt the best move since not only they havent prooved yet they could handle the property by themselves and a backlash of Disney fans could really hurt their boxoffice on future movies and Marvel Studios knew they had invested too much (storywise) in the character to just let him go that easily, I mean Im sure there was a real posibility that both studios would end up not making the deal but it was more likely they were just negotiating to get a deal that felt good for both studios.

4 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

Wow, not sure whats more pathetic,  the one guy who's tossing around adolescent insults or the 2nd guy who's so titillated by reading insults that he's egging the 1st guy on.

Middle-school antics at their "finest".

I prefer to think the answer to that is the people who are always running and tattling every time someone says something that remotely offends their delicate sensitivities. That being said, I don't advocate name calling and never have regardless of how often I've been tattled on myself. I just think it's funny how sensitive everyone on this forum is suddenly, and there's a direct correlation to something that happened about 6 - 8 months ago. I bet there are a few guys who can remember what that was. I also think is funny how it's totally cool for some people to use this whole passive aggressive sarcasm bit to act like they're so much smarter than everyone else, yet when someone is a straight shooter and just says what they're thinking the waterworks start. That was just my own passive aggressive way of telling him to watch what he says lest he get the strongest worded message of his life. I assure you, it's bone chilling. Rarhhh!

As far as his comments, I don't ever recall anyone here ever claiming they had their hand on the pulse of the entire Marvel/Sony deal, but I do think the overall feeling was that most of us were all very confident that these two very successful companies would eventually come to terms under the clear understanding that the success clearly lies with them working together (where Sony has access to Feige, the mastermind behind the entire MCU success story) to advance Marvel's largest and most popular property to make boat loads of money. If I had a million dollars to spend in excess I would bet there's probably been some kind of arrangement made where Sony would profit from Spider-Man movies for a few more years and in the end will sell the property back after a certain profit threshold has been reached.

8 hours ago, monron999 said:

I just think it's funny how sensitive everyone on this forum is suddenly, and there's a direct correlation to something that happened about 6 - 8 months ago. I bet there are a few guys who can remember what that was.

Oo! I want to guess! Was it when a bunch of MRA dudes on the internet got their feelings hurt by something Brie Larson said and decided to take it out of context, and then pretend she also said a bunch of other stuff, in the hopes of causing her movie to bomb? Because I definitely want to hear more about that very successful and not-at-all-sensitive campaign.

/passive aggressive sarcasm

9 hours ago, belmont13 said:

Cool, even if they don't reach a more lasting agreement, it's good they are doing at least one more movie where they could wrap up the story. 

That's what I'm thinking. One more MCU movie to resolve the cliffhanger and then see from there. If Sony want to do there own version then, they can without having to worry about the MCU stuff

10 minutes ago, leokearon said:

That's what I'm thinking. One more MCU movie to resolve the cliffhanger and then see from there. If Sony want to do there own version then, they can without having to worry about the MCU stuff

I don't know, to me, with the mention of both future primarily-Sony Venomverse Spider-Man movies AND future appearances of Spidey in the MCU beyond this next film, it sounds more like they'll be having him hop back and forth between universes.

17 minutes ago, Jeddostotle7 said:

I don't know, to me, with the mention of both future primarily-Sony Venomverse Spider-Man movies AND future appearances of Spidey in the MCU beyond this next film, it sounds more like they'll be having him hop back and forth between universes.

That could get messy and confusing for people. If Sony want to do their own Spidey in the future, it would be better to have their own one.

any predictions as to what phase 4 movies Spidey might show up in?  Gotta admit, i'm not seeing a great fit for him among the currently planned films.  I wouldn't mind seeing him in Thor since he and Thor haven't really had any 'hang time' yet.   If Doc Strange didn't already have scarlet witch, i wouldn't mind spidey showing up there as i think spidey and strange would be a fun team-up too.

5 hours ago, Benn said:

Oo! I want to guess! Was it when a bunch of MRA dudes on the internet got their feelings hurt by something Brie Larson said and decided to take it out of context, and then pretend she also said a bunch of other stuff, in the hopes of causing her movie to bomb? Because I definitely want to hear more about that very successful and not-at-all-sensitive campaign.

/passive aggressive sarcasm

Nope, it's just anything anyone says about anyone someone else might like. I'm not gonna be bated into another pointless argument just so someone can go running to daddy to tell him how much the bad guy hurt his feelings, and then what I said be taken out of context just so he can do his internet tough guy act. That's all. Move on. I didn't know the Golden Goddess Brie Larson's lawyer was a member on these forums.