Spider-Man Is Back In The MCU

JayC

So much ignorant speculation and weirdness...it doesn't take a genius to suss out what's going on here, just common sense, but that wouldn't fit certain angry pop-culture nerd-boy agendas. EDIT: That came across as an attack on all speculation and fan comments and I apologize for that. I'm just tired of the Disney hate and the lame spin constantly being espoused by a vocal minority of fan-boys who are blindly following and repeating hate rhetoric instead of thinking for themselves. People forget Sony Corp (and not just Sony Pictures) was on the ropes a few short years ago and Disney actually did them a solid with the original Spidey deal. Disney isn't evil, but they are a smart business.

Here's what happened with this whole thing: Sony approached Marvel Studios about making all Spidey-verse movies (Venom, Spider-woman, etc) moving forward & bringing it all into the MCU. Marvel Studios said, "Sounds great, but we're insanely busy and that involves a lot of work, which will cost you." I mean, if you're doing work, shouldn't you get paid for it? So, negotiations began but they never really broke down as reported. More like they were tabled due to other..."events." You see, even further behind the scenes, both Amazon and Apple (and a possible third-party) are in various stages of eyeing Sony for obvious reasons. Both want to get into the entertainment biz in a "total package" way and would love Sony Pic's ready-made distribution channels and back catalog. There are some indications that both want Sony itself and not just Sony Picture Division because it would also give them electronics manufacturing and a game platform. Anyway, that all makes sense. And maybe you all noticed that Bob Iger left Apple's Board of Directors recently... Now, the thing is, if someone were to buy Sony Pictures or Sony Corp itself, the film rights to Spidey and all related characters revert back to Marvel Studios/Disney. So, long story short, this is a quick deal just to keep the MCU's plans with Spidey humming along while that other stuff works itself out. Regardless of who gets Sony, the industry feeling is that someone WILL get them and sooner rather than later, so Marvel/Disney are playing the waiting game.

Edited by Hai_Karate

On 9/27/2019 at 12:53 PM, cjflan32 said:

A little bit to be honest. I realize you and all the other Feigebots have your narratives but the truth is the Spider-Man franchise is/was not some miserable failure for Sony. The first thing all you clowns bring up with these films is box office and Venom and Spider-Verse had that.

By the way, it'd be great if you stopped pretending you have your finger on the pulse of this industry. Marvelous News, TNI, etc. are great sites, I'll give you that, but you sitting here pretending you knew this would happen all along is complete bulls***, and the people that have been here for years (at least the ones you didn't run off) know that.

LOL, it doesn't take a genius to figure out Disney needs Spider-Man and Sony needs Disney. Doesn't require inside knowledge or whatever else your rambling on about to figure that sooner or later some kind of agreement between the two would be reached, just requires paying attention to what is going on. 

6 hours ago, mako said:

Once again, huge company . . . been making movies for decades . . . pretty much single handedly jump-started the modern superhero movie genre with THEIR version of Spider-Man. The very same genre Disney is killing with their hard-on for crap directors and frat-house comedy.

But by all means, Disney is God let us praise him at the altar of the Big Thorbowski.

This dude makes me laugh everytime.

6 hours ago, mako said:

Once again, huge company . . . been making movies for decades . . . pretty much single handedly jump-started the modern superhero movie genre with THEIR version of Spider-Man. The very same genre Disney is killing with their hard-on for crap directors and frat-house comedy.

But by all means, Disney is God let us praise him at the altar of the Big Thorbowski.

I get you dont like it, but I also don't get how make these blanketing statements as if you speak for everyone or even the majority? The numbers don't match your remarks. Yeah I thought Thorbowski was hilarious as did others. Now that doesn't mean everyone did and it doesn't mean every MCU movie is great, but certainly every Disney movie has continued to perform pretty great so they must be doing something right. Again, I get you dont like them and more power to you for that, but please do us a favor and quit trying to speak for everyone or act like its just some small minority of people that likes the Disney movies. You dont like em, quit watching em but dont get mad at those who do, its ridiculous.