Donny Coates Takes Thor To New Heights

JayC

A mighty creative team will be taking over the reins of Thor next year! Just announced at Marvel’s Next Big Thing panel at New York Comic Con, Donny Cates and Nic Klein will be ushering the God of Thunder into his next era starting in January. The quest Thor is on will be the stuff of legend, filled with thunderous adventure as well as mystery as the character finds himself in unexpected new territory and facing off against an ancient threat known as The Black Winter.

Nic Klein brings his artistic talents to Thor’s new journey, starting with a brand-new look worthy of the King of Asgard. Get your first look at Nic Klein’s design below and prepare yourself for the story behind Thor’s eye-catching new look is as surprising as it is epic! “I’m incredibly excited and honored to be working on this with Donny,” says Nic Klein. “THOR is one of my favorite comic book characters so I really tried to up my game to do Thor and all of Asgard justice.”

Donny Cates has already tackled some of Marvel’s most legendary characters to wild success and THOR will be no exception! “In all my wildest dreams, I could never have imagined a world in which I was worthy of writing THOR,” says Donny Cates. “From Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, all the way to the legendary run I am so foolishly following by the great Jason Aaron, it is beyond an honor to enter the golden halls of Asgard, and to pave the path (Far beyond the fields we know...) for the Thunder God himself. Know that you will have my best, true believers. For all of you. For Asgard. Forever.”

THOR #1
Written by DONNY CATES
Penciled by NIC KLEIN
Cover by OLIVIER COIPEL

A BRAND-NEW, SUPERSTAR CREATIVE TEAM TAKES THE KING OF ASGARD TO NEW REALMS OF GLORY!

The prince is now a king. All Asgard lies before Thor, the God of Thunder. And after many months of war, the Ten Realms are finally at peace. But the skies above the Realm Eternal are never clear for long. The Black Winter is coming. And the God of the Storm will be powerless before it.

Thor_designsheet.jpg

THOR2020001_cover.jpg

Uhm, yeah....didn't they just change this guy barely a year ago?? At least that one got to keep his helmet. But he lost his long hair, because, you know, movies. Now that those are over ol' goldilocks is back, sans helmet, sans multiple hammers (if this drawing is any indication).

For my money you cant beat classic Thor. I'm willing to give this a read though when it comes out.

12 hours ago, DrewK said:

Where is his eye patch and Destroyer arm?

I'm all for Donny Cates, but is he going to disregard everything the Jason Aaron established about the character recently.  Will have to wait and see..

Probably, seriously that's why my reading list has massively reduced over the years. Every writer wants their own take and they all seem to have these radical ideas. It's been better in the last few years since the "let's change everything for society's sake" blew up in their face but it's like every creative team wants to start at zero and basically create their own character. I know being fresh and new and innovative is important to prevent stagnation, but damn, I'd just like a little continuity for once. If you want a new character, well just make a freakin new character. That being said, I am intrigued by what I've heard about this series so far. I'll give anything a shot once.

9 minutes ago, monron999 said:

Probably, seriously that's why my reading list has massively reduced over the years. Every writer wants their own take and they all seem to have these radical ideas. It's been better in the last few years since the "let's change everything for society's sake" blew up in their face but it's like every creative team wants to start at zero and basically create their own character. I know being fresh and new and innovative is important to prevent stagnation, but damn, I'd just like a little continuity for once. If you want a new character, well just make a freakin new character. That being said, I am intrigued by what I've heard about this series so far. I'll give anything a shot once.

The desk full of Punisher shooting a kid plots springs to mind