Vehicles, Sets & Lockjaw

Atlantis

There's been a lot of discussion about overusing more popular figures, whether obscure figures might not sell, if scale really matters, modern vs. "classic" takes, etc. But I'm wondering how everyone would react if, out of the blue, Hasbro decides to hit us with BAF type vehicles like the Avengers Quinjet, or sets like the Baxter Building? How about a fully articulated Lockjaw, and maybe Aragorn? The Alpha Flight box set was a jolt....just the idea that they would do that, and with almost no heads up at all.

A quinjet that could hold 4 6" figures would be huge...but doable. I think they could make this for under a $100.00, especially if at least one figure is included.  Dr Strange's sanctum as a set, Black Panther's throne room....Just thinking out loud here...

I don't think I'd have any interest in massively underscaled vehicles. The Amazon sentinel being 16" instead of 20" doesn't bother me much, but I'm not even sure how they'd make a jet that could have 6" figures stand inside it not be bizarrely proportioned at the size it would need to be to be practical. If it has to be at least 8" tall, it's gonna look weird being only a foot or two long.

I wouldn't mind playsets that were just a manageable "slice" out of a setting, but again, 16" skyscraper for 6" figures? Probably not. Really, buildings (in their entirety) at all would be kind of a bummer. I know Peppa Pig and Barbie get away with these massively underscaled houses, but I just don't think I would want the same for Legends. The X-mansion would probably have to be at least 15 feet wide to be scaled appropriately. A sentinel that's 20% too short? Sure. A mansion that's 85% under-scaled? No thanks.

I think a car or van-sized vehicle for the F4 or Punisher or whatever is probably doable and could be cool. Anything else and we're talking either sailbarge-esque Haslab project or massive disappointment. Articulated Lockjaw would be cool for fans, though, and I'd love to see stuff like that! Honestly, cheesy as she is, when I read House of X #5, where there's a shot of Animax riding in on a huge dragon, I thought to myself "man, what a cool toy that would be".

16 hours ago, michiganjfrog said:

the sactum would be really sweet and you could fill it with props if it didnt come with many. i would also really like seeing a building type base, maybe a rooftop with gargoyles? i guess the size would be something that would be up for debate. im not sure how big they could realistically make a building diaroma 

Im betting the sanctum would work...or something like a warehouse setting (for combat) or hell, maybe even the X-Men's Danger Room? That could be a set all on its own.

Also thinking outside the box but instead of plastic, they do cardboard like Extreme Sets does. I’ve used, configured, modified existing Extreme Sets backgrounds for Legends, and some are ready made for display cases.

possibilities could be for a FF environment: Reeds lab, Negative zone portal, fantasticar launch, general area

XMen: danger room, cerebro room, front gate with Xavier’s school logo, general area

Avengers: war room, press conference area (to announce new lineup),stark lab,quintet launch area

maybe sets for other classic locales like Daily Bugle, sanctum Santorum (with the famous window), panther throne room, law offices of nelson and Murdoch, Asgard, savage land, Attilan, Atlantis, etc...

Extreme sets is doing good work, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy licensed backgrounds and with Hasbro’s deep pockets they could probably do them cheaper.

12 hours ago, McHogan said:

Extreme sets is doing good work, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy licensed backgrounds and with Hasbro’s deep pockets they could probably do them cheaper.

Yes please!! And available worldwide without ridiculously high shipping costs!

21 hours ago, Atlantis said:

I can see that van having a removable roof and flipped down side panel that would accommodate weapons, tech gear and another figure.

Did you ever get the JP The Lost World trailer vehicle? I think it could work something like that! I've commented on it a few times!

10 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

Did you ever get the JP The Lost World trailer vehicle? I think it could work something like that! I've commented on it a few times!

That's a great idea. It could definitely work for a 6" ML figure. If they really put some care into it- glossy "metal look" exterior, working doors, decent headlights, windows, rubber tires, etc.  they could make the van look great without also having it look like a little kid's toy.

16 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Great ideas….how much do you think these would cost, over all, and would they be worth it to the collector?

Extreme sets range from $40 to $60 ish.. Hasbro could undercut that by a few bucks but have fans eating out of their hands on classic Marvel backgrounds..

8 hours ago, memocromatico said:

Yes please!! And available worldwide without ridiculously high shipping costs!

Exactly, I thought I was getting a deal when I first looked at buying directly from Extreme Sets... until I got to the shipping. I balked at the $29 shipping. 

Ever since I buy Extreme Sets from BBTS and they qualify for the $5 shipping...

3 hours ago, michiganjfrog said:

I would be up for it, the only deal breaker for these cardboard backgrounds for me is when they look overly glossy

I’ve bought the Subway, Abandoned House and the Display packs. None of which were overly glossy but I do know what you mean, takes away from the immersion..

3 hours ago, McHogan said:

Exactly, I thought I was getting a deal when I first looked at buying directly from Extreme Sets... until I got to the shipping. I balked at the $29 shipping. 

Ever since I buy Extreme Sets from BBTS and they qualify for the $5 shipping...

Almost 30 for shipping?? They're out of their minds.