Sony's 'Venom 2' Adds Second Marvel Villain

Outsiders

Two sources close to Sony’s upcoming Venom sequel have informed Deadline that the Marvel Comics character called Shriek has been added into the plot of the Venom sequel.

Deadline spoke with a Sony spokesman who declined comment, citing the early-days status of the project, which won’t begin principle photography until early next year.

The character of Shriek would be a smart choice as the sonic-powered accomplice and romantic interest of serial killer Cletus Kasaday, aka Carnage, the monstrous archenemy of Venom has a standing history in the pages of Marvel Comics.  A drug dealer named Frances Barrison became the volatile Shriek after severe trauma allow her latent mutant powers to emerge. In the comics, those powers include sonic energy blasts, flight, and the ability to stir up dark and violent emotions in others.

Carnage has been primary villain for the Venom sequel since a mid-credits preview scene that featured the uncredited Woody Harrelson as the menacing Kasaday from the first film.  Shriek has been closely associated with Carnage since her introduction in Spider-Man Unlimited No. 1 (May 1993) as part of the "Maximum Carnage" saga.

Casting is underway for the role of Shriek with the search expanding.  “Right now the role is not filled, the net is cast wide toward many kinds of actresses,” one source said, adding that the filmmakers are “looking mostly at unknowns right now.”

Venom 2 is schedule to hit theaters on October 2nd, 2020

Shriek.jpg

Power loading any Marvel movie done by Sony with obscure yet cool characters can only be a good thing. Venom was not a bad movie, but by no means was it good. Woody Harrelson plays a magnificent badass and he immediately makes any actors around him better by osmosis, so I'm liking the prospects of this movie more and more every day.

To be completely honest, I wasn't very impressed with Venom. I don't need to see it a second time. Sony has been leaving a bad taste in my mouth for a while now and I will probably skip venom 2. "Joker" on the other hand, that was a movie worth watching over and over. 

We recently reported that Sony’s upcoming Venom sequel would include the Marvel Comics character called Shriek and Variety is now reporting that Naomie Harris is in talks for the role.

Andy Serkis will direct the sequel with Tom Hardy returning as the titular anti-hero and Michelle Williams and Woody Harrelson also reprising their roles.

Feature credits for Harris include being nominated for an Academy Award for her role in 'Moonlight,' and is set to reprise her role as Eve Moneypenny in the new James Bond film 'No Time to Die.'

Sony had no comment on the casting negotiations.

Naomie_Harris.jpg

On 10/18/2019 at 8:28 PM, EUPHORICVIKING said:

To be completely honest, I wasn't very impressed with Venom. I don't need to see it a second time. Sony has been leaving a bad taste in my mouth for a while now and I will probably skip venom 2. "Joker" on the other hand, that was a movie worth watching over and over. 

I actually liked Venom, seen it couple of times. Nice, fun movie. Joker is also a good movie. I like all the super hero movies, and I will definitely support Venom 2. Gimme more!

On 10/21/2019 at 9:03 PM, DJ_Ole said:

I actually liked Venom, seen it couple of times. Nice, fun movie. Joker is also a good movie. I like all the super hero movies, and I will definitely support Venom 2. Gimme more!

I don't like all superhero movies. I like movies with a good plot, good backstory and are a little more raw. Disney has been doing more than an above average job of  keeping a cohesive storyline. Venom just felt like a movie that they pushed out the door with a big name actor. I'm not mad at it, just won't bother to spend money on it.