'Marvel's Cloak & Dagger' Cancelled After Two Seasons

Outsiders

In an unfortunate turn, Freeform has decided not to renew Marvel's Cloak & Dagger for a third season.  This comes five months after the end of the second season and sources are reporting that options on the cast expired this week.

The drama series debuted strong in 2018 and earned a second season renewal but soon afterwards, the series' ratings dropped almost -40% and never bounced back.

“We are so proud of Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger and the trailblazing stories this series told,” Freeform told Deadline. “We are also grateful to our incredible talent Oliva Holt and Aubrey Joseph for bringing these beloved characters to life, and showrunner Joe Pokaski for his vision. We’d like to thank our partners at Marvel Television for a wonderful two seasons and are we are hopeful that we can find another project together.”

I felt like I saw this one coming, show really didn't have a huge following as far as I know, and I had a strong feeling with Disney+ we are constantly seeing any and all Marvel shows that arn't on a Disney service getting the Axe, Disney is realizing their monopoly in the Marvel TV show game, only Hulu and Disney+ will have Marvel shows etc

Cant say Im surprised, I dont think I even finished the first season, the series started out intresting but got really boring and long winded by mid season without anything of importance really happening, I tend to give almost every super hero (or super hero adjacent) shows a chance from the begining, some have been great, others not so much, and others have started strong and just died down with the passing of the seasons, but I tend to at least watch the first season of each show to get a real sense of what they plan to do, and this one was probably one of the worst shows Ive seen in a while (just a personal thought) but it never really got my attention and it felt like I was watching the show forcefully just to try and give it a shot. With Disney + getting more cohesive mcu centered shows I think the right move for Marvel is just to let all the shows that are on other platforms/channels die out and eventually do their own take if the characters are warranted a show.

Don't think this had much if anything to do with Feige. The ratings went way down and stayed there. Like JC says, it put him to sleep? He clearly wasn't the only one. Well I found it interesting, but not enough to grab me and have me come back for more the way it should have. I liked the lead actors and the powers looked good (don't know if they ever had plans for them to ever be in full costume), but there wasn't enough to lock me in. And not enough viewers felt differently, so its gone now.

7 hours ago, Benn said:

I liked the show, but the first season was definitely better than the second, and it never really got comic book-y enough for me to think it had much staying power.

Spot on. It pretty much followed the same fate as all the Netflix shows. They all got off to a pretty good start, but it never really progressed to where it should have. They all suffer from some idiotic attempts to keep them more "realistic". News flash TV executive guys, we don't tune into super hero shows to see realism. We want incredible, unimaginable, fantastical powers and feats and goofy looking costumes. If we want real world dramas with real world issues we can all tune into lame shows like 911 and The Good Doctor on our own. The funny thing is the crap they show on those programs is sometimes more unrealistic than anything they're trying to feed us on our Super Hero shows.

The best thing about it is they're all slowly but surely coming home to Marvel where they belong.

8 hours ago, Benn said:

I liked the show, but the first season was definitely better than the second, and it never really got comic book-y enough for me to think it had much staying power.

Haven't gotten to the second season yet, though I didn't love the first one I did enjoy it for what it is: a teenage show.