2019 Paris Comic Con Hasbro Marvel Panel - New Demogonlin and Winter Soldier

JayC

Today we are bringing you coverage of the 2019 Paris Comic Con Hasbro panel. On the panel is C. B. Cebulski, Editor-In-Chief for Marvel Comics who is joined by Hasbro’s Dan Yun from the Hasbro Marvel brand team. Images come via Damien Cinematic Universe.

For new reveals Hasbro announced a new Winter Soldier comic based figure. No word on how or where it will show up, and the Build-A-Figure for the next Spider-Man wave which will be a new Demogoblin. The regular figures in the wave which had been previously announced include White Rabbit (Comic), Classic Vulture (Comic), Superior Octopus (Comic), Shang-Chi (Comic), Velocity Suit Spider-Man (PS4 Game) and Spider-Armor Mark III (PS4 Game).

Hasbro will have another Marvel panel at the MCM London Comic Con tomorrow at 7am ET so hopefully we will get some more reveals there as well.

Hasbro-Comic-Con-Paris-Marvel-Panel-01.jpg

Hasbro-Comic-Con-Paris-Marvel-Panel-02.jpg

Hasbro-Comic-Con-Paris-Marvel-Panel-03.jpg

1 minute ago, tarot said:

Demogoblin as the baf is a strange one but ill take it. We did need a new one anyway.

Winter soldier is probably the first figure of the black widow wave.

Yeah Demogoblin was unexpected. Looks cool but not sure it warrants BAF status. I guess cause of the glider. Good call on Winter Soldier.

21 minutes ago, drbeck said:

A very disappointing choose! Both Figures ! Thanks the Wintersoldier is not movie based ! But This lame Goblin- we have already more than enough of then ! We all hoped for a Mister Hyde !!!!! And for the Widow Wave for Crimson Dynamo or Major Ursa 

I didn't want Hyde, I wanted Stiltman 🙂 That being said, I think the Demogoblin is a fine figure and many people will be happy with it. I think the biggest problem for it however is doing it as a BAF. I'm sure Hasbro went that route due to the large Glider, but I'm sure many will see this a s a figure that should have been done as a regular release and somewhat of a waste for a BAF spot. Heck I think Hydro Man would have been better suited for the BAF treatment over Demo.

As for Winter Soldier, first it's not confirmed for the Black Widow wave and even if it does get released there, there are still plenty more figures for that wave that have yet to be announced so lets no panic and wait and see who else they do for the wave.

I have to agree with @drbeck With Demon Goblin being a poor choice for a BAF. If the Glyder's size was the problem they could have added it in the riders series instead. Good thing I was just planning to get Vulture, Shang Chi, and Superior Octopus.

Comic Winter Soldier was needed. I have the old 2 pack one and it's way outdated.

Thanks for the pics.

It seems like Hasbro is slowly releasing all of the characters from Maximum Carnage. Aside from Demogoblin, we've recently gotten Doppleganger, Cloak, Dagger, Deathlok, plus rereleases on Venom and Carnage. I know, this is kind of a stretch, but I'm hoping I'm right, because that means a 90s version of Firestar would be coming soon.

I was already sick of seeing regular-sized characters as build-a-figures such as Mantis, Okoye, M'Baku and Bro Thor. But I was able to look past that because at least those characters utilized new molds. Also because I really wanted M'Baku. Demogoblin on the other hand, not only is this a regular sized BAF, but it is also reusing a generic body mold (and parts) seen on previous figures who were packaged as singled-carded figures. I don't get this decision. The glider shouldn't be the problem. We've seen single-carded figures with tons of accessories. And I don't mean the ultimate riders.

8 minutes ago, Hogun said:

I was already sick of seeing regular-sized characters as build-a-figures such as Mantis, Okoye, M'Baku and Bro Thor. But I was able to look past that because at least those characters utilized new molds. Also because I really wanted M'Baku. Demogoblin on the other hand, not only is this a regular sized BAF, but it is also reusing a generic body mold (and parts) seen on previous figures who were packaged as singled-carded figures. I don't get this decision. The glider shouldn't be the problem. We've seen single-carded figures with tons of accessories. And I don't mean the ultimate riders.

You gotta understand though, they are really running outta "big" characters for the BAF treatment. Of course they can always dig really deep for guys like Stegron and Stilt Man, which I'm alright with but as easily recognizable characters go, it's almost a must to have to throw in some "regulars" every once in a while. At least he comes with a correctly sized glider and a stand. Maybe this is starting a new BAF trend, regular sized figures with larger accessories. At least it's a helluva lot better than that Urich Hobgoblin, reused parts or not.

Wouldn't it have been great if they'd done Reed Richards as a BAF and include a buncha extendable parts?

As far as Winter Soldier, that's been on my want list for a loooooong time. I'm of the opinion that this might not so much be a wave, but maybe a WS and Falcon 2 pack. Crossing my fingers for Falcon as the next reveal. I mean, after the Excalibur box set.

Hey, I'm happy for those who like this BAF.  Not much interest personally so looks like I'll be cherry picking this wave.  My priorities (in order):  Vulture, Shang-Chi, White Rabbit, maybe Superior Ock.   The variant spideys i might get on sale but i expect they will sell fairly well so that may not be an option.

I'm sure we'll rehash the age-old debate about whether its preferable to get a large BAF or one with a lot of unique sculpting.  I used to be on the "large" side but have come around to appreciating the other side more.  That said, I don't think i own many comics with demogoblin (I can't recall any off the top of my head) so this BAF doesn't hold much sentimental appeal to me, nor is the design unique enough to make it desirable on looks alone.  That's OK as these days  i do prefer cherry picking rather than buying whole waves.

7 minutes ago, monron999 said:

You gotta understand though, they are really running outta "big" characters for the BAF treatment. Of course they can always dig really deep for guys like Stegron and Stilt Man, which I'm alright with but as easily recognizable characters go, it's almost a must to have to throw in some "regulars" every once in a while. At least he comes with a correctly sized glider and a stand. Maybe this is starting a new BAF trend, regular sized figures with larger accessories. At least it's a helluva lot better than that Urich Hobgoblin, reused parts or not.

Wouldn't it have been great if they'd done Reed Richards as a BAF and include a buncha extendable parts?

As far as Winter Soldier, that's been on my want list for a loooooong time. I'm of the opinion that this might not so much be a wave, but maybe a WS and Falcon 2 pack. Crossing my fingers for Falcon as the next reveal. I mean, after the Excalibur box set.

Heh, i was just thinking this BAF choice will reignite the debate about what makes a good BAF. Good arguments.

This seems to be the case similar to the Vulture wings but at least those wing were fecking huge and could never fit in a regular package. This glider doesn't really seem to be that much bigger then the Green or Hob goblin version so I don't know why they pick this one.

My guess is that they have so much coming out next year is that they had to do some budget savers bafs to save up on other waves. 

I like the figure. it looks great and I was one of the people who bitched and moaned about Mantis and Okoye (given that they both used the molds of a regular figure) but at the end of the day, extra figure of a character that really needed an update.

46 minutes ago, tarot said:

This seems to be the case similar to the Vulture wings but at least those wing were fecking huge and could never fit in a regular package. This glider doesn't really seem to be that much bigger then the Green or Hob goblin version so I don't know why they pick this one.

My guess is that they have so much coming out next year is that they had to do some budget savers bafs to save up on other waves. 

I like the figure. it looks great and I was one of the people who bitched and moaned about Mantis and Okoye (given that they both used the molds of a regular figure) but at the end of the day, extra figure of a character that really needed an update.

Im sure cost saving also played a role and your 100% right, but still I imagine Hasbro is gonna take some heat from fans for going this route with a BAF.

I wasn’t expecting Demogoblin in any way shape or form. With that said, I’m not mad about this at all. The figure looks fantastic. I am a little confused about exactly what part of it is a BAF. Does the glider come apart into multiple pieces plus the stand and Demogoblin is the 7th carded figure? It looks seamless though. It doesn’t say “Demogoblin’s Glider” on the BAF card but the Goblin mold isn’t tooled to be a BAF. I’m just wondering how many figures in the wave will actually have BAF pieces now. I guess we’ll know all that once packaged images come out.

12 minutes ago, Ironspider428 said:

I wasn’t expecting Demogoblin in any way shape or form. With that said, I’m not mad about this at all. The figure looks fantastic. I am a little confused about exactly what part of it is a BAF. Does the glider come apart into multiple pieces plus the stand and Demogoblin is the 7th carded figure? It looks seamless though. It doesn’t say “Demogoblin’s Glider” on the BAF card but the Goblin mold isn’t tooled to be a BAF. I’m just wondering how many figures in the wave will actually have BAF pieces now. I guess we’ll know all that once packaged images come out.

We likely will get more details on that tomorrow from Hasbro's MCM London Marvel panel.

Kind of happy with this. I can skip it if I want and won't feel a loss. I never completed the BaF Hobgoblin and then they released a different one as a single figure later. I still have my old ToyBiz Demogoblin as well. 

11 minutes ago, Innershade said:

At least, the BAF is not just the glider with Demogoblin as a single figure!
I hope we'll never get another BAF similar to the Vulture wings.
I like it but that was a BAF slot wasted!

Amen to that, brother. I wasn't the only guy on this forum at that time that was screaming from the rafters, but I was certainly one of the loudest. I caught a lot of flack (especially from my boy @Rukkdeez who became a good friend, but is no longer on these forums) but in the end I was right, cuz there was no denying the honest truth. They were selling us half a character in the set and then "giving" us the rest of the character as a bonus. And when you put that bonus together it was about as thin and flimsy as they could make it without actually using the same plastic they use on the blister card. If they were gonna do a BAF that way and do it that cheap, they shoulda just done the whole figure and kept the stand. I woulda found a way to make due without it.

1 hour ago, Ironspider428 said:

Looking at it, and understand this is probably just the proto, judging by how well it's painted, it'll probably break down as 1. head sculpt, 2. torso, 3. both arms, 4. both legs, 5. glider, 6. stand. I imagine they'll include the stand in the most desirable figure (probably Shang Chi) to prevent that figure from being passed up on.