2019 MCM Comic Con London Hasbro Marvel Panel

JayC

I just pre-ordered a couple Dooms, I'll wait till a price drop on She-Hulk. The Skrull is not worth the price of Admission. Plus I have a couple of the ToyBiz Super Skrulls (with interchangeable arms) that are definitively better still. See the source image

A really nice line up of figures in general. The FF wave I'm planing on getting mostly because the Walgreens FF were pretty much imposible for me to get. Not really super excited about the Super Skrill, but it's a good looking figure. 

As for the Spider-Man wave, I'm only in for the Vulture, and maybe Shang-Chi and Superior Octopus. Don't really care that much about the Demo Goblin. Definitely bummed out that the double packed figs are both Spider-Man, it's gonna be harder to get that Vulture. 

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 7:49 AM, tarot said:

Why not? He is a villian that people have asked for and is an easy repaint.

Right? I'm not understanding this hate for Spymaster. If Hasbro did all the "A" listers (and of course that's a subjective term) first, they'd be left with a bunch of figures that would pegwarm hard. Yeah, old comic fans like me would love to pick those up, but not sure there's enough of us out there as consumers. Peppering the waves with unexpected and obscure characters like this keeps the line alive. Also it may give them time to work on new techniques and paints  (just think what they can do with Frankie Raye Nova!) so I'm encouraged.

It's a costing out thing. The folks at Hasbro aren't dumb. They're aware someone like Spymaster or literally any of the Serpent Society figures probably aren't gonna be in hot demand, which is why they usually use the bare minimum of new parts (usually just a new head, if that). That way the people who want to get them can do so and the company doesn't have to invest a lot of effort or sculptwork into a character they know isn't gonna be a huge mover.

It's great for the people who want those characters and saves more on the tooling budget for other characters in the wave. Win-win, IMO.

I checked BBTS before midnight and they already had the FF wave posted. So without hesitation I ordered. I mostly, usually waffle a bit and maybe take a few days to mull it over, but this time was no doubt. BEST wave I pulled the trigger on in a while now. if I were going to knit pick I could say I'm not crazy about the color on She Hulk. I like my She Hulks more green than gray. But I wont knit pick. Best purchase of the year for me.

9 hours ago, Bluecomet said:

I hope they included ghost rider, i think he was once a part of the fantastic 4 (so does spiderman).

If you wanna to that route, now that all the properties are back and playing nice with Marvel again, what do you think the chances of the Joe Fixit, Logan, Ghost Rider & Spider-Man New Fantastic Four? It would be the perfect way to get Danny Ketch and Joe Fixit into the mix, both of which Toybiz has already done. Of course, we already have a Spider-Man, but I don't remember if they've done a green jacket version of Logan. Maybe in the DOFP Logan/Sentine 2 pack?

3f357aa6960d0ba18bb0089660ae8af7--marvel-vs-marvel-comics.jpg

46 minutes ago, silverback said:

I checked BBTS before midnight and they already had the FF wave posted. So without hesitation I ordered. I mostly, usually waffle a bit and maybe take a few days to mull it over, but this time was no doubt. BEST wave I pulled the trigger on in a while now. if I were going to knit pick I could say I'm not crazy about the color on She Hulk. I like my She Hulks more green than gray. But I wont knit pick. Best purchase of the year for me.

Even though I'm skipping most of this wave because I'm not a fan of the modern designs of the Four and She-Hulk, I am super happy that a lot of people seem excited about it and are buying them. The worst thing would be for this wave to utterly tank and send the wrong message to Hasbro that fans don't want more Fantastic Four characters.

Just now, monron999 said:

If you wanna to that route, now that all the properties are back and playing nice with Marvel again, what do you think the chances of the Joe Fixit, Logan, Ghost Rider & Spider-Man New Fantastic Four? It would be the perfect way to get Danny Ketch and Joe Fixit into the mix, both of which Toybiz has already done. Of course, we already have a Spider-Man, but I don't remember if they've done a green jacket version of Logan. Maybe in the DOFP Logan/Sentine 2 pack?

I can see that being a con exclusive four-pack. I doubt they would package those four characters specifically in Fantastic Four waves. The "New Fantastic Four" was a novelty half-joke for just three issues.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:43 AM, Hogun said:

Who the hell asked for Spymaster? I have no idea who this guy is? Why does he deserve a Legend before the Warriors Three? We are way more popular than the likes of Rock Python, Death's Head 2 and Spymaster.

In that case, you must not know who the other 3 in this pic are either . Ever actually read an Ironman comic or just MCU fan? Blacklash is a must as well!

Blacklash-Iron-Man-Marvel-Comics-whip-h6.jpg

14 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

In that case, you must not know who the other 3 in this pic are either . Ever actually read an Ironman comic or just MCU fan?

Dude there is no need to be like that. He probably hasn't read anything with Spymaster in it. Not everybody started in the 70/80. Hell I didn't start until the early 2000s. 

11 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

12 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

Hogun: "Who the hell asked for Spymaster? Why does he deserve a Legend before the Warriors Three?"

In that case, you must not know who the other 3 in this pic are either . Ever actually read an Iron Man comic or just MCU fan?

As to who "deserves" a figure before whom, that's really Hasbro's decision. Hopefully its guided by input from fans/consumers, but ultimately that's their choice. But you have to remember that a character that's near and dear to your heart, isn't always the pick for others. We're getting an entire Alpha Flight team before the Inhumans or original Guardians of the Galaxy has been completed. Do they "deserve" it? I cant say, but I'm glad they're in the pipe and hope the others are coming soon.

Also, the Marvel universe has a vast lineup of characters to choose from....Hasbro knows this and knows its wise to appeal to the old school collectors who geek spasm over this kind of choice.

On 10/27/2019 at 8:43 AM, Hogun said:

Who the hell asked for Spymaster? I have no idea who this guy is? Why does he deserve a Legend before the Warriors Three? We are way more popular than the likes of Rock Python, Death's Head 2 and Spymaster.

Lol, I love that you never break character like you're actually one of the three. It's entertaining at the very least.

As for your popularity versus Spymaster, well that's debatable. I was never a particular fan and I was a huge Thor fan. They (you) were rarely an intrigal part of the story. They (you) were mostly a tertiary way of explain how to locate weapons, where to find gold, directions to some place, drivers of vehicles, some comedy relief, kinda exactly as they (you) were in the movies. Kinda like the townsfolk in a Pokemon game or your average run of the mill RPG. I really don't think they (you) are quite as popular and in demand as one (you) might think. That's just my personal opinion, but I've specifically heard people request characters like Blacklash, Spymaster, Controller, Rock Python, even Arsenal, but in all honesty I really don't remember anyone asking for Warriors Three. I could be wrong.

3 hours ago, tarot said:

Dude there is no need to be like that. He probably hasn't read anything with Spymaster in it. Not everybody started in the 70/80. Hell I didn't start until the early 2000s. 

I started reading in the 2000s and literally the only reason I know who Spymaster is at all is because he showed up in Matt Fractions Invincible Iron Man at one point.

That's not really a knock against the character either; Iron Man famously has a rogue's gallery that is considered kinda underwhelming. Paradoxically, despite the character being an A-lister now, his only hugely recognizable villains are probably Obadiah Stane and the Mandarin. Maybe Justin Hammer and Whiplash.

1 hour ago, watanabefan said:

I started reading in the 2000s and literally the only reason I know who Spymaster is at all is because he showed up in Matt Fractions Invincible Iron Man at one point.

That's not really a knock against the character either; Iron Man famously has a rogue's gallery that is considered kinda underwhelming. Paradoxically, despite the character being an A-lister now, his only hugely recognizable villains are probably Obadiah Stane and the Mandarin. Maybe Justin Hammer and Whiplash.

I think the problem with Iron Man's rogues gallery is that most members either are usually relegated to minions of bigger villains, almost only appear as cannon fodder in Masters of Evil-type of groups, or they have been turned into mantles (with your countless Crimson Dynamos and Titanium Men and Spymasters and Melters) . There's also the fact that the three top dogs, Mandarin, Obadiah Stane and Justin Hammer, are dead.

The villains are there, there's a lot of them, and they have a lot of potential, but it goes unused. They need not only to appear, but also to have a story for themselves in whichever issues they appear. Even though I love how Dan Slott has been making use of Tony's rogues gallery, by working up Sunset Bain, using the Controller as a long-term villain for the first two storyarcs, and having other baddies appear in small roles, the Controller didn't have much to do besides being a generic power-hungry villain, and the small-role villains, Fin Fang Foom, the Raiders and Spymaster, were that. Small-role. But, hey, at least he's using them. And for one example of many I can give of villains being left to rot is the modern Whiplash. He was cool and had depth in the 2010's Iron Man vs. Whiplash mini-series, and his design was fantastic. Unfortunately, ever since then he has never fought Iron Man once.

Either way, I think Iron Man's rogues gallery is a diamond in the rough. The fact that Whirlwind, Blizzard, Firestorm and Whiplash managed to carry a character work-heavy Superior Foes of Spider-Man-style mini-series during 2013's Infinity event is proof of concept of that. Iron Man's baddies just need to 1) be there and 2) not just be there.

5 hours ago, Gigantor said:

In that case, you must not know who the other 3 in this pic are either . Ever actually read an Ironman comic or just MCU fan? Blacklash is a must as well!

I don't understand this animosity towards MCU fans. What, like only the comics readers are worthy of having an opinion to which characters Hasbro should make? I was never a big Marvel comics fan. I watched a lot of animated series growing up and I'm a big MCU fan. I only started reading some comics due to interest coming from watching the shows.

I do believe that Marvel survived thanks to TV and Cinema. They were going bankrupt with their comics. Isn't that the reason why they sold their properties to Sony, Fox, etc.?

Comics were big in that golden age of comics, but we cannot deny now it's TV and Cinema that are more popular. So, this being a pop culture, I believe MCU fans have the same right to shape their desires and express their opinions as do comics fans.

12 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Right? I'm not understanding this hate for Spymaster. If Hasbro did all the "A" listers (and of course that's a subjective term) first, they'd be left with a bunch of figures that would pegwarm hard. Yeah, old comic fans like me would love to pick those up, but not sure there's enough of us out there as consumers. Peppering the waves with unexpected and obscure characters like this keeps the line alive. Also it may give them time to work on new techniques and paints  (just think what they can do with Frankie Raye Nova!) so I'm encouraged.

Yeah, also we don't know what the rest of the wave is like. Also I would prefer some new characters over another MCU Cap

5 hours ago, DJ_Ole said:

I don't understand this animosity towards MCU fans. What, like only the comics readers are worthy of having an opinion to which characters Hasbro should make? I was never a big Marvel comics fan. I watched a lot of animated series growing up and I'm a big MCU fan. I only started reading some comics due to interest coming from watching the shows.

I do believe that Marvel survived thanks to TV and Cinema. They were going bankrupt with their comics. Isn't that the reason why they sold their properties to Sony, Fox, etc.?

Comics were big in that golden age of comics, but we cannot deny now it's TV and Cinema that are more popular. So, this being a pop culture, I believe MCU fans have the same right to shape their desires and express their opinions as do comics fans.

Having an opinion is one thing, saying stuff like "Who the hell ever asked for Spymaster" is another thing.  Can you see the difference between that comment and something like "I don't want a spymaster figure".  Plus the poster making that comment wasn't arguing for more mcu guys, as far as i can tell you are the one turning this into comics vs mcu.  He  was arguing that the Warriors three should've been made first, which of course makes no sense in a black widow wave but whatever. Given that their screen name is Hogun, i'm guessing they are a little obsessed with that trio.

On 10/28/2019 at 7:10 AM, Bluecomet said:

I hope they included ghost rider, i think he was once a part of the fantastic 4 (so does spiderman).

Ghost rider is coming with his space bike remember. A single packed Ghost rider with nothing to ride is just Ghost. He's now Casper...

45 minutes ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

Ghost rider is coming with his space bike remember. A single packed Ghost rider with nothing to ride is just Ghost. He's now Casper...

That's Cosmic Ghost Rider, not Dan Ketch who was the Ghost Rider on the New F4