Prices going up!

Rukkdeez

I'd like to say I'm surprised, but when the news came out months ago about the increased tariffs on stuff from China, kind of figured this would happen eventually.  It definitely sucks though, I know personally it will make me be more choosy about which figures I purchase and especially where I get them from, I mean GameStop already charges $26 per figure and FYE almost $30.  I'll keep with Pulse since they'll be charging closest to the new price point.

I can't imagine what this will do to places like EE, BBTS, and Dorkside though, I'm already not a fan of their overall mark ups at the current price point, can't imagine what it will be like after the fact.  And while I find myself buying from them less and less, I still remember when they were the only places I was getting my Legends.  

It also kills the anniversary and "deluxe" releases for me.  No matter how much I like them, the 80 Years Cap, Iron Man, and Thor were pushing it at their $25 price point, no matter how much I like them, if they were to increase to $30, that'd be a difficult, but obvious pass.

this is terrible news, here in Canada we already pay 29.99 , so what now the price of a legend will be 35 , that's trash, as great as legends are they are not worth that price, I'd probably say I'd virtually quit if they turn out to be 40 bucks at some point that's just not feasible especially if you are trying to grab an entire wave 🤬

5 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

this is terrible news, here in Canada we already pay 29.99 , so what now the price of a legend will be 35 , that's trash, as great as legends are they are not worth that price, I'd probably say I'd virtually quit if they turn out to be 40 bucks at some point that's just not feasible especially if you are trying to grab an entire wave 🤬

Exactly.  I think that will kill any chance of me completing an entire wave, maybe outside of the Spider-Man waves.

Here in Mexico we pay $499 per figure at the cheapest, exclusives are being bumped up to $599. Specialty stores bump them to $550 and $650 respectively. This price jump may have just doomed my wave buying for BaFs, any hope to start my Lightning Collection, and I may have to keep limiting my Black Series more.

Just means that  I (and i'm sure many other collectors) will cherry pick waves more.   This year I managed to break free of the compulsion to complete BAFs (although it was challenging since Kingpin was one of the 1st BAFs of the year),  but with that i was able to cut back on purchases substantially while still ending up with a ton of great figures.  Even though the increase only a few bucks per figure, it seems like there a lot of folks for whom that affects their purchasing decisions.  For example, I can find a lot of the Black Series archive wave at Gamestop and nowhere else, presumably because the markup puts people off. 

That said, i mentioned a few months back that after the 80th Hulk & Colossus sets it felt like my collection was mostly done, and it still feels that way! I got into collecting in 2014 with the 1st GotG wave, and it feels like during this 5 year span, Hasbro has made a huge portion of the heroic figures I would want to get, and has made serious inroads on villains as well... both in terms of mcu and comic characters.  So no complaints.

Hasbro announced this weekend that their Power Rangers Lightning collection line was going to jump from the normal $19.99 to $21.49 starting with wave 4 which I assume is due to the whole Tariff thing since Hasbro recently announced those were effecting them, but $25 seems quit a jump.

6 hours ago, JayC said:

Hasbro announced this weekend that their Power Rangers Lightning collection line was going to jump from the normal $19.99 to $21.49 starting with wave 4 which I assume is due to the whole Tariff thing since Hasbro recently announced those were effecting them, but $25 seems quit a jump.

Might as well get a bit more profit while they are at it

On 10/29/2019 at 2:06 AM, Rukkdeez said:

Prices are going up to $22.99 (msrp - $25.99).

What does this mean exactly? If the new MSRP is $25.99, where does the $22.99 price come from? I'm confused by this statement.

For what it's worth, the distributors my store uses have the MSRP of the 2020 waves at $21.49, with EE's suggested additional markup at $24.99. Annoyingly, Hasbro Pulse is still taking preorders for everything at $19.99. Undercutting your own MSRP with your direct sales is basically business scumbaggery 101, so presumably that's just a transitional preorder price to ease into the new pricing, but everyone who doesn't want to pay the new rates should definitely get those preorders in now!