2019 Manga Barcelona Hasbro Marvel Panel - Marvel Legends AoA Dark Beast And Jean Grey

JayC

32 minutes ago, tarot said:

God. I hope to god they dont reveal the baf to be holocaust becuase the next convention is in Germany. I want him but that not the right place

Totally nailed it, bud: I want to say 'LOL' but don't quite dare.

I did wonder if anyone else would spot the potentially painful irony of Marvel Comics - founded by and (rightfully) proud of their Jewish creators - showcasing a character called Holocaust at a German expo. I feel a Fawlty Towers reference coming on.....

For once, this is a Marvel Comics issue, not Hasbro or A. N. Other Licensee. The character was always called Holocaust in the AOA arc, and retained that moniker until Exiles. Hasbro's Marvel Legends BAF version was always called Nemesis, too. Totally the right decision, but I've always hated the name Nemesis - not only is it generic, but was in use by (then) current characters in Alpha Flight, Wolverine and X-Men. 

Honestly though, I don't care what they call the AOA figures, just as long as they keep cranking 'em out....

27 minutes ago, LandoTucker said:

Totally nailed it, bud: I want to say 'LOL' but don't quite dare.

I did wonder if anyone else would spot the potentially painful irony of Marvel Comics - founded by and (rightfully) proud of their Jewish creators - showcasing a character called Holocaust at a German expo. I feel a Fawlty Towers reference coming on.....

For once, this is a Marvel Comics issue, not Hasbro or A. N. Other Licensee. The character was always called Holocaust in the AOA arc, and retained that moniker until Exiles. Hasbro's Marvel Legends BAF version was always called Nemesis, too. Totally the right decision, but I've always hated the name Nemesis - not only is it generic, but was in use by (then) current characters in Alpha Flight, Wolverine and X-Men. 

Honestly though, I don't care what they call the AOA figures, just as long as they keep cranking 'em out....

Well even if Holocaust is the BAF and they call it Nemesis or Genocide, we can call him whatever we like once we have him.

I totally called Dark Beast. I asked if you guys would buy it if they retooled that mold. I don't remember where I posted it, but if I find it, I'll put it on a link. I'm not excited for any of these figures besides X-Man. Only AoA characters I have ever liked were Blink and X-Man. If the Baf is Holocaust/Nemesis though, that might change my mind.

Now that is a good looking Jean. Im not sure what happened with the three pack jeans face sculpts but they looks nowhere near as good as they did on the protons. This one is downright gorgeous. Kinda like an attractive Ruby Rose, without all the man hate. Hopefully this will translate better to the final product than the 3 pack Jean did.

Dark Beast...what can you say? It looks like it jumped right outta the comic. Though I was hoping for some non-AOA representation in this wave I don't hate it. If the BAF is Nemesis it will be a 100% lock for me.

There are only a few X-Men related characters I'm interested in collecting, and I planned to skip this entire wave, despite reading and loving the series back in '95. That Dark Beast, though... I was thinking the other day that he was my favorite alternate to come out of the Age of Apocalypse. Mmmmaybe I'll get him after all...

Man, the character choices here are so much more to my taste than I was expecting, but I'm not actually thrilled with the sculpts on many of them. Sunspot, Jean, and Beast are all very high on my want list. I wish Beast looked more like his appearances in Factor X, but he seems to be based on his image from the Chosen, I think. The floor pose makes the figure look deeply weird, but he looks really great in the promo shot, so I'm hopeful. Jean looks amazing, but I'm having another colour interpretation difference with the Legends design team and I wish she and Weapon X at least matched, even if they were both in blue (I obviously think they should both be in black, though). Wild Child and Weapon X also look a little strangely proportioned, clearly in the interest of honouring specific artists' interpretations. Finally, Sunspot just looks off to me (and seemingly way worse than the last version from back in the day).

The choices make a lot of sense, though. Beast and X-Man both escaped to 616, Sunfire eventually adopted this look in 616 as a horseman and marauder, and a different version of Morph wore this same costume in the Exiles, so they seem to be prioritizing characters who have interacted heavily with 616 or the Exiles. It looks like those and Astonishing X-Men seem to be their priorities. On the one hand, it's sensible to play it safe with a wave like this, putting out characters that have some main universe crossover to reach broader appeal, but it's also a little disappointing that three to four choices from this wave could've slotted into any generic X-Men wave and opened up slots here for versions of characters that wouldn't be likely to appear elsewhere.

Given their current pattern, I'd guess Holocaust or Sugar Man is likely to be the BAF, since both also escaped to 616, with a second wave likely featuring Cyclops, Magneto, Nightcrawler, Rogue, Sabretooth, and a couple of deeper cuts. I'd really like to see Colossus, Havok, and Shadow Cat involved somehow, but I certainly doubt I'm getting all three.

Since Diwght hinted before that there are plans for at least 2 waves for AOA figures, Im thinking Apocalypse will most likely be the BAF of this wave (seeing how they might seem to be splitting characters around the 2 planned waves and since Apocalypse is the main antagonist and namesake of the series they might want to release him this year).

Concerning Sabretooth (he's very likely get a figure since we already got Blink and will be getting Wild Child, though I dont think he warrants to be BAF, he could very well be the big figure in the 2nd wave, like dark beast is for wave 1).

As for Colossus, he could be done as a BAF, but If I remember correctly even though he was one of the main characters in The Generation Next book, that comic wasnt that important and Colossus seemed to me more like a B-Lister during AOA, I could see more likely that Hasbro releases some two packs of popular characters who were on teams they dont want to complete, like a 2-pack with Colossus and Kitty, a 2-Pack with Mystique and Nightcrawler, and a 2-Pack with Gambit and Jubilee (this could be a 3 pack or even an amazon set)

As for other characters that could posibility for a BAF for either this wave or the second I think the most likely one is Holocaust/Nemesis, (Id personaly like a sugarman but with his proportions and design it looks like a hard figure to make, maybe for a wave 3 if hasbro sees that this line is working).

Seeing how they are mainly releasing Rogue's team from Astonishing X-Men and some independent characters, I think they'll most likely include in wave 2: 
Rogue and Sabretooth (to close out that team) 
Magneto as the main leader (gotta have Magneto and Apocalypse in this line) 
Cyclops (to complete the love triangle with Weapon X and Jean) 
and maybe: 
- Havok (just cause they already made dark beast and we need more villians) 
- Bishop (he is a very important character in the books and he was primarily a solo character)
- Mr. Siniester (another important villian in the series)

And if Hasbro see's this line is doing well they might think of making a 3rd in a couple years with the Amazing X-Men Team: Storm, Banshee, Dazzler, Cersi and Iceman, Exodus, and maybe another villian like Abyss

2 hours ago, SpiderS said:

I am really surprised they are going for AOA in such big way and I am not complaining, I could see them doing AOA Magneto soon enough, not to mention I really like the look. 

Well 2020 will be the 25th anniversary of the AOA

9 hours ago, Gigantor said:

No reveal on Black Widow wave BAF?

I have a feeling the Black Widow wave BAF will be Taskmaster. 

If the previously revealed comic book Winter Soldier, Spymaster, and Crossbones are all from the BW movie wave, and if there are only six figures to the wave, then I think the remaining three figures will be movie versions of Natasha, Florence Pugh's Yelena Belova character, and David Harbour's Red Guardian. The build-a-figure will be Taskmaster, even though he's not an oversized figure. I also picture the reported white costume Natasha being a Walmart or Target exclusive. If I'm wrong and there are seven figures in the wave, then I think Taskmaster will be one and the BAF will be... Hey, maybe finally a comic book version of Crimson Dynamo or Titanium Man. Or something from the movie that hasn't been revealed yet.