Ant-Man Is Back With New Comic Book Series

JayC

Announced at MCM Comic Con London, Ant-Man is set to make a major comeback this February with a new series that will have the entire Marvel Universe buzzing! Zeb Wells and Dylan Burnett join forces to tell a tale that will take Ant-Man from the anthill to the world stage.

Known for his lively humor and slick dialogue on books like NOVA and AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, Zeb Wells is the perfect fit for the wisecracking former thief and is ready to infuse Ant-Man with his trademark wit. “Dylan Burnett, Mike Spicer and I are out to put the ant in Ant-Man, turn over some rocks and craft a bug-forward tale that starts small and spins into a world-spanning adventure,” said Wells. “And you know Stinger (Cassie Lang) is coming along for the ride.”

The series will open with Scott Lang down on his luck and desperate for adventure until he’s looped in for a job only he can accomplish. What begins as a seemingly unheroic task for local beekeepers rapidly escalates into a conspiracy that could threaten the Earth! Throughout this journey, Ant-Man will not only have to prove himself as a hero, but as a parent to his daughter Cassie Lang as well. A Super Hero herself, Cassie will be joining her dad as Stinger as the father/daughter duo embark on this bug-filled quest together, along with many of your other favorite Marvel Super Heroes!

With books like X-FORCE and COSMIC GHOST RIDER under his belt, Dylan Burnett will easily match Wells’ energy, and his kinetic art style will make sure this fast-paced, globetrotting romp is one readers will never forget.

ANT-MAN lands in stores this February!

ANT-MAN #1
Written by ZEB WELLS
Art by DYLAN BURNETT
Cover by EDUARD PETROVICH

Ant-Man is back and doing better than ever! Er, at least according to him, but Stinger and the anthill he’s living in say otherwise. Desperate to raise his daughter’s opinion of him, Ant-Man takes a job from local beekeepers only to uncover a global conspiracy that could topple the world order! No time to call the Avengers, this sounds like a job for –ANT-MAN?! Join the explosive creative team of Zeb Wells (NOVA) and Dylan Burnett (X-FORCE, COSMIC GHOST RIDER) as they take Ant-Man to all-new heights in this epic adventure!

ANTMAN2020001_cvr.jpg

Typical Marvel: 

"Hey guys, remember that failed comic series we did a while back?"

"Which one, Captain Marvel?"

"No, not that one."

"Oh, you mean Black Panther?"

"No, no, noooo. I'm talking 'bout Ant-Man."

"Oh yeah, what a freakin' train wreck that was."

"Yeah, let's do it again. Except we figured it out this time. This time we'll double up on all the political BS and social agendas, and instead of putting a message to it we'll build the whole damn thing around a one sided message. That's the surefire way to success."

"Sounds like a winner."

"Yay! Hey, let's do lunch. Sushi?"

"Naw, allergic to shell fish."

"Fondu?"

"Uhhh....I'm gluten free."

"Steak then?"

"My friends and girlfriend will exile me."

"Well, how bout we just go for ice cream?"

".............errr, lactose intolerant."

"Man, we suck."

"Yeah, yeah we do."

3 hours ago, monron999 said:

"Yeah, let's do it again. Except we figured it out this time. This time we'll double up on all the political BS and social agendas, and instead of putting a message to it we'll build the whole damn thing around a one sided message. That's the surefire way to success."

What "political BS and social agendas" vibes are you getting from this announcement? I mean, the only thing remotely close (and still far away) to something "SWJ" is that the book features a female chara-- Wait, complaining about that seems to be right up your alley.

6 hours ago, mako said:

I'll bet it's just as fine a book as you can expect from a douche named "Zeb." Probably still be better than your average MCU movie (yeah, there's a high bar).

Zeb Wells is a established Marvel writer. He has written Spider-Man since the early 2000s, including the acclaimed Spider-Man/Doctor Octopus: Year One, as well as some Venom, Elektra and New Warriors. So you could actually know what to expect of him if you care to know.

4 hours ago, ADour said:

What "political BS and social agendas" vibes are you getting from this announcement? I mean, the only thing remotely close (and still far away) to something "SWJ" is that the book features a female chara-- Wait, complaining about that seems to be right up your alley.

Not any. Yet. Admittedly it's just a generalization based on what I've seen from the industry for several years and even more so with Marvel since Disney took over. It's a pattern. Every new title starts well enough, but they all eventually turn. The statistics on the rise of such politics and the failure of (some) comics, movies and television is a real thing.

And BTW it is right up my alley to complain about such things, just as it's right up some people's alleys to go crying to daddy anytime someone says something they don't agree with. Know any of those? I do.

And as far as female character, you and JayC and others are all way off base. My favorite all time characters are all female (Rogue, Black Widow, Elektra, Psylocke and She-Hulk) since forever. What I don't like is the whole Cap Marvel HER-o type BS where they shove it in your face and say she's female (duh) and she's bad ass (duh) and if you dont like her your a terrible person (wait, what). No I don't like her because she's not an interesting character (never has been) and they got a terrible actress to play her to boot, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna let you guilt me into liking her just cuz she's a woman. That in itself is sexism.

I'll leave you to it cuz I'm on super secret double probation, but you got me pegged all wrong kid. Wanna know my political leaning I got none, I'm about as center as you can be, but I do have a personal belief system. What I do have a problem with is people using our entertainment media to force opinion building.

Like I said, I can't get too far in it, but if you think you know me or really wanna know me feel free to PM me cuz I'm as straight a shooter as you're ever gonna find.

2 hours ago, monron999 said:

Admittedly it's just a generalization based on what I've seen from the industry for several years and even more so with Marvel since Disney took over.

It's true. Remember a few years back when Disney had some "hero" called Captain America punch Hitler in the face, and had this whole tedious plot-point about how nazis were an existential threat and America really should stand up for its ideals and do something about them? Or a couple years back when Disney created this team called the X-Men almost solely as a vehicle to comment on the civil rights movement, and then subsequently never stopped using them as a way to shine a light on inequality? It's a real bummer how politicized comics are these days, but at least it's a little vindicating that obvious left-wing political snoozefests like Captain America and the X-Men couldn't withstand the test of time.

2 hours ago, monron999 said:

I'll leave you to it cuz I'm on super secret double probation, but you got me pegged all wrong kid. Wanna know my political leaning I got none, I'm about as center as you can be, but I do have a personal belief system. What I do have a problem with is people using our entertainment media to force opinion building.

I just hope you end up enjoying the irony of getting kicked off a board for constant political ramblings about how you wish people with a public platform would cease their constant political ramblings. Blame it on "tattle-tales" if it makes you feel better, but don't be surprised when your hard push to make this board unwelcoming results in no longer being welcome.

12 hours ago, mako said:

I'll bet it's just as fine a book as you can expect from a douche named "Zeb." Probably still be better than your average MCU movie (yeah, there's a high bar).

Dude. This is a low blow. We all know how offended you are by the MCU's decision to have Thor sink into depression after the near extinction of his people, but entirely dismissing someone because of their name? Classy. You really stuck it to his parents, I guess.

2 hours ago, Benn said:

I just hope you end up enjoying the irony of getting kicked off a board for constant political ramblings about how you wish people with a public platform would cease their constant political ramblings. Blame it on "tattle-tales" if it makes you feel better, but don't be surprised when your hard push to make this board unwelcoming results in no longer being welcome.

Exibit A, ladies and gentlemen. I've never broken a single one of the precious forum board rules, yet there are people chomping at the bit to shut me down just for speaking my mind.

And for the record, what I do find ironic is as such a tolerant individual you would much rather see me be shut up rather than tolerate my difference of opinion.

Eh, i'm guessing it will last 10-12 issues (probably 2 arcs and 2 stand-alone issues, probably with some sort of annoying interruption somewhere in there to accommodate an event tie-in), which seems standard for most new marvel series these days. 

I did enjoy Nick Spencer's Ant-Man issues, so maybe I'll try and read this when its released in trade.

1 hour ago, bashpics99 said:

Eh, i'm guessing it will last 10-12 issues (probably 2 arcs and 2 stand-alone issues, probably with some sort of annoying interruption somewhere in there to accommodate an event tie-in), which seems standard for most new marvel series these days. 

I did enjoy Nick Spencer's Ant-Man issues, so maybe I'll try and read this when its released in trade.

Sadly that seems to be the way many Marvel books go these days

7 hours ago, monron999 said:

Exibit A, ladies and gentlemen. I've never broken a single one of the precious forum board rules, yet there are people chomping at the bit to shut me down just for speaking my mind.

And for the record, what I do find ironic is as such a tolerant individual you would much rather see me be shut up rather than tolerate my difference of opinion.

You misunderstand me, actually. I don't want you gone. When you can help yourself, you're an engaging and insightful contributor, whose presence would be missed. You just often don't seem capable of helping yourself, and I'd definitely rather see you gone than see others pushed away by your comments. In any event, it isn't up to me. Nobody can get you banned but you.

And, come on, I know you're too smart to really believe that putting up with intolerance is an act of tolerance.

13 hours ago, monron999 said:

I'm about as center as you can be

Coming from the guy that constantly hijacks posts to make off-topic political ramblings and has such a gratuitous hate-boner for Brie Larson and Captain Marvel he has to have an unflattering image of her as his profile picture, like he needs to remind everybody with his sheer pressence of what an eeeeeeeeeeeeeevil person Brie Larson is.

Yeaahhh... I'm hard-pressing X to doubt on that one, chief.

4 hours ago, ADour said:

Coming from the guy that constantly hijacks posts to make off-topic political ramblings and has such a gratuitous hate-boner for Brie Larson and Captain Marvel he has to have an unflattering image of her as his profile picture, like he needs to remind everybody with his sheer pressence of what an eeeeeeeeeeeeeevil person Brie Larson is.

Yeaahhh... I'm hard-pressing X to doubt on that one, chief.

You're so right. And you're so woke you got Taylor Swift saying "Like, damn!" And you're both so self righteous and high and mighty it makes me wonder why you even bother to have to constantly chime in when I'm simply voicing my opinions like the rest of you. You don't like it, you can mute me or hey, why not just ignore me. In all honesty I'd much rather be able to speak my mind without wondering which of the ordained few is gonna spring a leak any time I say something they don't agree with. Like the good ol' days. But you can't ignore me and you won't mute me cuz I live so deep in your skulls that you actually allow me to hijack your contributions. I'm cool with that, it's roomy in here, plenty of space to dig in. Maybe I'll stay a while. Funny thing is there's plenty of other contributors that seem to be able to comment around me just fine. So run along little man, and do what you do best. Daddy's waiting for you to light up the Bat Signal.

And believe me counselor, there's no shortage of unflattering images of the Goddess to chose from. That trademark smirk is also telling you she's better than you too my friend. In the words of the Goddess, "Thank you veeeeeeery much."

I'm done hijacking your world now.

23 minutes ago, monron999 said:

You're so right. And you're so woke you got Taylor Swift saying "Like, damn!" And you're both so self righteous and high and mighty it makes me wonder why you even bother to have to constantly chime in when I'm simply voicing my opinions like the rest of you. You don't like it, you can mute me or hey, why not just ignore me. In all honesty I'd much rather be able to speak my mind without wondering which of the ordained few is gonna spring a leak any time I say something they don't agree with. Like the good ol' days. But you can't ignore me and you won't mute me cuz I live so deep in your skulls that you actually allow me to hijack your contributions. I'm cool with that, it's roomy in here, plenty of space to dig in. Maybe I'll stay a while. Funny thing is there's plenty of other contributors that seem to be able to comment around me just fine. So run along little man, and do what you do best. Daddy's waiting for you to light up the Bat Signal.

And believe me counselor, there's no shortage of unflattering images of the Goddess to chose from. That trademark smirk is also telling you she's better than you too my friend. In the words of the Goddess, "Thank you veeeeeeery much."

I'm done hijacking your world now.

K. Don't forget to get a kissy where it hurts, booboo.

4 hours ago, mako said:

To true. That's what happens when you go for quantity over quality. If Marvel could just do two or three GREAT books as opposed to twenty so-so books . . . I probably wouldn't have stopped reading them years ago.

There's that but Marvel also release the same books over and over again. Black Widow gets cancelled? Give her another comic anyway.

3 hours ago, leokearon said:

There's that but Marvel also release the same books over and over again. Black Widow gets cancelled? Give her another comic anyway.

From what i understand, marvel's decisions are still largely based on sales of floppies, and for whatever reason, starting over with a new number 1 provides a short-term boost in sales.  Same with "events" and tie-ins.   Relying on these kind of stunts to boost sales temporarily is ridiculous and make it hard to get invested in a particular comic imo, but it is what it is.  I tend to read comics in collected editions (although its been a few years)  but unfortunately those purchases don't seem to influence whether a title continues or not (of course, the time delay plays a role).  Nothing against all the comic store owners & employees out there, but it feels like a very archaic business model.  

Granted, i should really try the online service, but for an old geezer like me, that's a tough sell.  I did give DC's online service a try (mostly to watch some of the shows) and the reading experience was more enjoyable than i had envisioned, although i didn't really end up enjoying many of the titles i read enough to continue past the trial period.

3 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

From what i understand, marvel's decisions are still largely based on sales of floppies, and for whatever reason, starting over with a new number 1 provides a short-term boost in sales.  Same with "events" and tie-ins.   Relying on these kind of stunts to boost sales temporarily is ridiculous and make it hard to get invested in a particular comic imo, but it is what it is.  I tend to read comics in collected editions (although its been a few years)  but unfortunately those purchases don't seem to influence whether a title continues or not (of course, the time delay plays a role).  Nothing against all the comic store owners & employees out there, but it feels like a very archaic business model.  

Granted, i should really try the online service, but for an old geezer like me, that's a tough sell.  I did give DC's online service a try (mostly to watch some of the shows) and the reading experience was more enjoyable than i had envisioned, although i didn't really end up enjoying many of the titles i read enough to continue past the trial period.

Ya, gone are the days where you could put a book on your pull list and be sure it's gonna come out next month. I'm your typical "1st Issue" guy and I'm also that guy that has a pull list a mile long and never really gets around to reading them all. I do make it a point to read most #1's and depending on that I decide whether to put it on the list or not so as the series come up and drop off the list is in constant flux and you inevitably miss something you wanted and get some stuff you don't. With these short lived series it's just so hard to keep up with, and believe me, as a fellow Oldie, it's no easier doing it online. I've got a local guy whose gone fully online now, I can't even walk in the store and browse anymore (which they would actually sell a hella lot more, to me anyway) and his website is massive and it's a mix of older stuff and collectors grade stuff and unless you have a lot of free time or unless you know exactly what books are coming out and what you want you ain't finding what you're looking for. I basically collect X-Men, Avengers and whatever random thing I might find that tickles my fancy when I have the chance to browse the website. it's a model most stores are moving to and I understand it in regards to reducing stock wastage but I also think they are leaving a lot of money on the table from what I call Hardcore Browsers like me. In all honesty I think the best solution for the industry as a whole is to go full digital and anyone who wants a hard copy will be ordered directly from the distributors. It's a sad break from tradition and it'll put a lot of people outta work, but that's probably the only way to save the industry right now. Just make sure you've got a nice big computer screen to fully enjoy the art.

17 hours ago, Benn said:

You misunderstand me, actually. I don't want you gone. When you can help yourself, you're an engaging and insightful contributor, whose presence would be missed. You just often don't seem capable of helping yourself, and I'd definitely rather see you gone than see others pushed away by your comments. In any event, it isn't up to me. Nobody can get you banned but you.

And, come on, I know you're too smart to really believe that putting up with intolerance is an act of tolerance.

Therein lies the problem my friend. I can control my impulses but I'm still allowed to have an opinion. My personal opinion is that politics are ruining the comics (and now movie) industry. That's MY belief, and nothing you say is gonna change it. You don't have to share it and I'm not trying to convince you. You already know my stance (you've told me several times) and I know yours, so why does it piss you off so much that you have to troll everything I say? Honestly, if you'd have just left me to myself and let me say my piece I never woulda brought it up again (on this thread anyway). I woulda said it once and moved on. You sir, and your buddy are the ones who decided to be the self appointed, moral compass PC Police and invited further discussion. Everyone else seems to be able to move on or move around, but you lack the self control to do just that. Every time I speak my mind I know exactly who's gonna come to the party, and whose gonna turn on the water works and tell daddy about the bad man who's saying bad things. I'd be lying if I said I didn't derive a certain amount of pleasure knowing how easily I can push your buttons and manipulate you to expose yourselves for how you really feel about people that don't align directly with you system of control. There's a word for that but it's been so played out and overused in modern times I won't bother to say it here. Look it up. I've said it before. Mute me or ignore me, the choice is yours. You don't have to engage me, but the truth is I'm probably one of the more interesting personalities in this joint and you just looooooove the hate that I'm able to pull forth from you.

Here's a little secret Cowboy. You want me to shut up, just leave me alone.

Operation hijack complete.

15 minutes ago, mako said:

No doubt. You also can't overstate the importance Marvel puts on feeding the movie machine. They inundate us with books revolving around characters featured in the movies, make sweeping changes to books to make them more closely resemble the movies, or overhaul books to make them more desirable to the movie makers.

I pretty much agree. I like the mcu but don’t see any evidence that changing 616 to mimic the mcu has boosted sales or resulted in mcu fans becoming comic readers (unless they already were).  Maybe if Disney promoted the comics more it would make a difference but I’m not sure about that either, and it’s a moot point since Disney doesn’t seem interested. I think it would be best to just let comic writers tell the stories they want to tell and then let the mcu poach whatever comic ideas they want.

Of course ymmv as far as whether the mcu has done a good job adapting those ideas but going in the other direction hasn’t really resulted in great comics as far as I can tell. For instance, I disliked how they changed star lord from his depiction in Keith Giffen’s limited series and the DnA GotG comic. I mostly blame Bendis. Admittedly I’m a few years behind the current comics so it may well be that I don’t know what I’m talking about 

15 hours ago, mako said:

To true. That's what happens when you go for quantity over quality. If Marvel could just do two or three GREAT books as opposed to twenty so-so books . . . I probably wouldn't have stopped reading them years ago.

Immortal Hulk, X-Men, Venom, Amazing Spider-Man, Daredevil, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, Marauders, Runaways, and Guardians of the Galaxy.

There you have your quota of great books. Wait, those aren't just two or three. I mentioned nine. Not to mention Immortal Hulk is leagues above in quality that the second best book. And I might have missed a few. Not to mention there are other books like Fantastic Four or Tony Stark: Iron Man which aren't great but are still good, or some recent mini-series like Avengers: No Road Home that were fantastic.

If you stopped reading Marvel years ago, then maybe you're not the best person to comment on their current output. I don't mean this spitefully. Really, if you want to comment on Marvel's current output, be sure to actually know at least about it. I haven't read DC in ages, so I don't go around talking about how many good books they have or don't have. Because I know I don't actually have the authority to tell.