Ant-Man Is Back With New Comic Book Series

JayC

1 hour ago, bashpics99 said:

I pretty much agree. I like the mcu but don’t see any evidence that changing 616 to mimic the mcu has boosted sales or resulted in mcu fans becoming comic readers (unless they already were).  Maybe if Disney promoted the comics more it would make a difference but I’m not sure about that either, and it’s a moot point since Disney doesn’t seem interested. I think it would be best to just let comic writers tell the stories they want to tell and then let the mcu poach whatever comic ideas they want.

Of course ymmv as far as whether the mcu has done a good job adapting those ideas but going in the other direction hasn’t really resulted in great comics as far as I can tell. For instance, I disliked how they changed star lord from his depiction in Keith Giffen’s limited series and the DnA GotG comic. I mostly blame Bendis. Admittedly I’m a few years behind the current comics so it may well be that I don’t know what I’m talking about 

Scott Gray, editor of the UK Collector Editions revealed that if there is a movie, there is an increase in sales for roughly 3 months but then it goes back to the way it was.

7 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

From what i understand, marvel's decisions are still largely based on sales of floppies, and for whatever reason, starting over with a new number 1 provides a short-term boost in sales.  Same with "events" and tie-ins.   Relying on these kind of stunts to boost sales temporarily is ridiculous and make it hard to get invested in a particular comic imo, but it is what it is.  I tend to read comics in collected editions (although its been a few years)  but unfortunately those purchases don't seem to influence whether a title continues or not (of course, the time delay plays a role).  Nothing against all the comic store owners & employees out there, but it feels like a very archaic business model.  

Granted, i should really try the online service, but for an old geezer like me, that's a tough sell.  I did give DC's online service a try (mostly to watch some of the shows) and the reading experience was more enjoyable than i had envisioned, although i didn't really end up enjoying many of the titles i read enough to continue past the trial period.

It is largely floppies, it is only in the last few years that digital and trades factor into decision making. Unstoppable Wasp and Iceman were prime examples.  

1 hour ago, mako said:

Is there something else I need your and Jay's permission to have an opinion on? Seriously, send me a list, I live for your approval.

Mark it "Pretentious"

You want me to mark it after your attitude? Gotcha.

It was a suggestion so that you avoid talking out of your butt about things you don't actually know. If you enjoy to do that, go ahead. I don't mind stepping in.

I think we can all agree this thread's going really well.

Anyway, I have a question, because I've never read any Ant-Man or really even much in the way of Avengers, but I try to keep up to date on the basics. Is the communicating with ants thing something that has always existed in the comics, or did that get ported in from the movies? Is it just a Scott Lang thing, or does Hank Pym do it too? It's only relatively recently that I finally watched most of the MCU movies, and I had only ever known about the size alteration aspect of his powers before seeing them. I wasn't sure if that was my own ignorance or a Hollywood-inspired development in the comics.

23 minutes ago, Benn said:

Anyway, I have a question, because I've never read any Ant-Man or really even much in the way of Avengers, but I try to keep up to date on the basics. Is the communicating with ants thing something that has always existed in the comics, or did that get ported in from the movies? Is it just a Scott Lang thing, or does Hank Pym do it too? It's only relatively recently that I finally watched most of the MCU movies, and I had only ever known about the size alteration aspect of his powers before seeing them. I wasn't sure if that was my own ignorance or a Hollywood-inspired development in the comics.

The communication with ants has always existed in the comics, and both Ant-Men make use of it.

4 hours ago, Benn said:

3 hours ago, ADour said:

The communication with ants has always existed in the comics, and both Ant-Men make use of it.

Indeed, they even like to name their ants, Scott's were named after various actors