Jump to content
JayC

Ant-Man Is Back With New Comic Book Series

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, mako said:

No doubt. You also can't overstate the importance Marvel puts on feeding the movie machine. They inundate us with books revolving around characters featured in the movies, make sweeping changes to books to make them more closely resemble the movies, or overhaul books to make them more desirable to the movie makers.

I pretty much agree. I like the mcu but don’t see any evidence that changing 616 to mimic the mcu has boosted sales or resulted in mcu fans becoming comic readers (unless they already were).  Maybe if Disney promoted the comics more it would make a difference but I’m not sure about that either, and it’s a moot point since Disney doesn’t seem interested. I think it would be best to just let comic writers tell the stories they want to tell and then let the mcu poach whatever comic ideas they want.

    Of course ymmv as far as whether the mcu has done a good job adapting those ideas but going in the other direction hasn’t really resulted in great comics as far as I can tell. For instance, I disliked how they changed star lord from his depiction in Keith Giffen’s limited series and the DnA GotG comic. I mostly blame Bendis. Admittedly I’m a few years behind the current comics so it may well be that I don’t know what I’m talking about 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, mako said:

To true. That's what happens when you go for quantity over quality. If Marvel could just do two or three GREAT books as opposed to twenty so-so books . . . I probably wouldn't have stopped reading them years ago.

Immortal Hulk, X-Men, Venom, Amazing Spider-Man, Daredevil, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, Marauders, Runaways, and Guardians of the Galaxy.

There you have your quota of great books. Wait, those aren't just two or three. I mentioned nine. Not to mention Immortal Hulk is leagues above in quality that the second best book. And I might have missed a few. Not to mention there are other books like Fantastic Four or Tony Stark: Iron Man which aren't great but are still good, or some recent mini-series like Avengers: No Road Home that were fantastic.

If you stopped reading Marvel years ago, then maybe you're not the best person to comment on their current output. I don't mean this spitefully. Really, if you want to comment on Marvel's current output, be sure to actually know at least about it. I haven't read DC in ages, so I don't go around talking about how many good books they have or don't have. Because I know I don't actually have the authority to tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bashpics99 said:

I pretty much agree. I like the mcu but don’t see any evidence that changing 616 to mimic the mcu has boosted sales or resulted in mcu fans becoming comic readers (unless they already were).  Maybe if Disney promoted the comics more it would make a difference but I’m not sure about that either, and it’s a moot point since Disney doesn’t seem interested. I think it would be best to just let comic writers tell the stories they want to tell and then let the mcu poach whatever comic ideas they want.

    Of course ymmv as far as whether the mcu has done a good job adapting those ideas but going in the other direction hasn’t really resulted in great comics as far as I can tell. For instance, I disliked how they changed star lord from his depiction in Keith Giffen’s limited series and the DnA GotG comic. I mostly blame Bendis. Admittedly I’m a few years behind the current comics so it may well be that I don’t know what I’m talking about 

Scott Gray, editor of the UK Collector Editions revealed that if there is a movie, there is an increase in sales for roughly 3 months but then it goes back to the way it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

From what i understand, marvel's decisions are still largely based on sales of floppies, and for whatever reason, starting over with a new number 1 provides a short-term boost in sales.  Same with "events" and tie-ins.   Relying on these kind of stunts to boost sales temporarily is ridiculous and make it hard to get invested in a particular comic imo, but it is what it is.  I tend to read comics in collected editions (although its been a few years)  but unfortunately those purchases don't seem to influence whether a title continues or not (of course, the time delay plays a role).  Nothing against all the comic store owners & employees out there, but it feels like a very archaic business model.  

Granted, i should really try the online service, but for an old geezer like me, that's a tough sell.  I did give DC's online service a try (mostly to watch some of the shows) and the reading experience was more enjoyable than i had envisioned, although i didn't really end up enjoying many of the titles i read enough to continue past the trial period.

It is largely floppies, it is only in the last few years that digital and trades factor into decision making. Unstoppable Wasp and Iceman were prime examples.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, monron999 said:

[self-congratulatory nonsense]

Ha, okay. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ADour said:

IIf you stopped reading Marvel years ago, then maybe you're not the best person to comment on their current output. I don't mean this spitefully. Really, if you want to comment on Marvel's current output, be sure to actually know at least about it. I haven't read DC in ages, so I don't go around talking about how many good books they have or don't have. Because I know I don't actually have the authority to tell.

Is there something else I need your and Jay's permission to have an opinion on? Seriously, send me a list, I live for your approval.

Mark it "Pretentious"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mako said:

Is there something else I need your and Jay's permission to have an opinion on? Seriously, send me a list, I live for your approval.

Mark it "Pretentious"

You want me to mark it after your attitude? Gotcha.

It was a suggestion so that you avoid talking out of your butt about things you don't actually know. If you enjoy to do that, go ahead. I don't mind stepping in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we can all agree this thread's going really well.

Anyway, I have a question, because I've never read any Ant-Man or really even much in the way of Avengers, but I try to keep up to date on the basics. Is the communicating with ants thing something that has always existed in the comics, or did that get ported in from the movies? Is it just a Scott Lang thing, or does Hank Pym do it too? It's only relatively recently that I finally watched most of the MCU movies, and I had only ever known about the size alteration aspect of his powers before seeing them. I wasn't sure if that was my own ignorance or a Hollywood-inspired development in the comics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Benn said:

I think we can all agree this thread's going really well.

Anyway, I have a question, because I've never read any Ant-Man or really even much in the way of Avengers, but I try to keep up to date on the basics. Is the communicating with ants thing something that has always existed in the comics, or did that get ported in from the movies? Is it just a Scott Lang thing, or does Hank Pym do it too? It's only relatively recently that I finally watched most of the MCU movies, and I had only ever known about the size alteration aspect of his powers before seeing them. I wasn't sure if that was my own ignorance or a Hollywood-inspired development in the comics.

The communication with ants has always existed in the comics, and both Ant-Men make use of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Benn said:

I think we can all agree this thread's going really well.

Anyway, I have a question, because I've never read any Ant-Man or really even much in the way of Avengers, but I try to keep up to date on the basics. Is the communicating with ants thing something that has always existed in the comics, or did that get ported in from the movies? Is it just a Scott Lang thing, or does Hank Pym do it too? It's only relatively recently that I finally watched most of the MCU movies, and I had only ever known about the size alteration aspect of his powers before seeing them. I wasn't sure if that was my own ignorance or a Hollywood-inspired development in the comics.

 

3 hours ago, ADour said:

The communication with ants has always existed in the comics, and both Ant-Men make use of it.

Indeed, they even like to name their ants, Scott's were named after various actors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Shop for Marvel Action Figures

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I'd be down for some Iron Man waves. Especially if there were some MCU redos of the earlier armors.
    • off topic:  monron's theory is quite interesting but i think if hawkeye knew about a switch he would've said something after they returned from the time heist. it also seems unlikely to me that Yelena would've kept up the disguise for the whole 5 year blip.  Although it might explain why Widow didn't know who Red Skull was, i would think Natasha would know that was Steve's arch-enemy but Yelena might not.   Ultimately, tho, I  think its more likely that they are considering Yelena as a replacement for Nat, as Tarot suggested. My guess is that if the character is well-received in the BW movie she may end up on the Avengers or perhaps headlining a  BW 2 movie.
    • You should do one with Iceman and name it 'Winter is Coming" 😃
    • Best Newcomer: Executioner- great new sculpt awesome accessories. Great pack as well Remake: Hela- Great accurate update + more accessories than the original, only way it could be better is if it included swords. Re-release: Vibranium Black Panther- it's amazing how much this figure pops up from the display just with a little paint added to an already awesome sculpt. Only category with no contest IMO.  Best Villain: Hela- again, compared to the rest of the releases she get's the most out of her packaging. Best Female: Ghost- She's not on the list but she's my favourite female MCU figure of the year. Mostly out of love for the portrayal and how soon we got her figure compared to Yellowjacket. (Voted Valkyrie since she was my runner-up) New Costume: Iron Patriot- I thought I'd buy it just for completion of an eventual Iron Armor display and Thor's head. I thought it wouldn't replace the MK006 War Machine in my action display. Boy, was I blown away when I got it last night. Strong contender for my personal ToY award.


×
×
  • Create New...







Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE