Speculate: Comic Characters in the MCU Eternals Wave

RyanDaly

With the exception of the third Avengers Endgame wave, it seems like sets of figures attached to MCU movies generally include two or three comic book figures as well. Sometimes, the comic figure makes sense; Genis-Vell being part of the Captain Marvel wave, for example, given that he was called Captain Marvel once upon a time. Even Sub-Mariner and Black Bolt in the first Black Panther wave you can kind of see the connection, in that they're also monarchs like T'Challa. But sometimes the comic book characters in a given wave seem utterly random, such as Gray Gargoyle in the Captain Marvel Wave, Living Laser in Endgame, Black Knight in Infinity War, etc. 

With that in mind, even though the movie is still a year away and we haven't even seen a teaser or anything, I thought we might speculate on which comic book characters might be included in The Eternals wave in 2020. Let's say there's seven regularly packaged figures in the wave, and because it's a big ensemble cast I'm going to guess five of them will be MCU characters. No idea who/what the build-a-figure will be. That leaves two comic book characters left?

Who do you think they might be? Would they be total randos? Would one or both be connected to The Eternals comics? Would they both be heroes, both villains, or a mix? Who would you want or expect to see?

marvel-eternals-comic-reading-order.jpg

Just now, leokearon said:

If the wave were to say include MCU Thena, Icarus, Makarri and Sersi.

This would be my guess as well with a Gilgamesh BAF. as for Comic figure my only guess is a Black Knight with a bomber jacket but I can't think of anything else that would fit in the line as the Eternals are really Separate from the rest of the Marvel Universe, not in that they aren't in the same universe but they rarely interact with the rest of the Marvel Prime except for when 2 of them were part of the Avengers. they usually keep to  themselves.

26 minutes ago, tarot said:

This would be my guess as well with a Gilgamesh BAF. as for Comic figure my only guess is a Black Knight with a bomber jacket but I can't think of anything else that would fit in the line as the Eternals are really Separate from the rest of the Marvel Universe, not in that they aren't in the same universe but they rarely interact with the rest of the Marvel Prime except for when 2 of them were part of the Avengers. they usually keep to  themselves.

There are some ideas as seen from my post. But yeah generally the Eternals try to keep to themselves

A little outside the box but I could see Crystal (of the Inhumans) showing up in an Eternals wave with the extremely tenuous connection that she and Sersi were both Avengers at the same time (It's more of a link than Captain Marvel and Grey Gargoyle had anyway). 

I suspect if we get biker-coat Black Knight it's going to be as a Legendary Rider (also I'm skeptical we get Black Knight in the movie.  I think one of the post-credits will be Dane Whitman getting the Ebony Blade though). 

As far as obscure comic characters they could possibly do:  Ghaur has made his attempt to be a "big bad" in Marvel a couple of times. 

Or maybe the Eternals wave just goes "full movie" like BP wave 2.  It's not the usual pattern but nothing says Hasbro has to absolutely stick to their pattern every single time and bluntly in some of the MCU waves it's been the comic characters that are the biggest pegwarmers.  With a cast as big as the Eternals they may just decide its' in their best interest to go "all movie" and try to get as many of them done as possible.

39 minutes ago, Jmacq1 said:

A little outside the box but I could see Crystal (of the Inhumans) showing up in an Eternals wave with the extremely tenuous connection that she and Sersi were both Avengers at the same time (It's more of a link than Captain Marvel and Grey Gargoyle had anyway). 

I suspect if we get biker-coat Black Knight it's going to be as a Legendary Rider (also I'm skeptical we get Black Knight in the movie.  I think one of the post-credits will be Dane Whitman getting the Ebony Blade though). 

As far as obscure comic characters they could possibly do:  Ghaur has made his attempt to be a "big bad" in Marvel a couple of times. 

Or maybe the Eternals wave just goes "full movie" like BP wave 2.  It's not the usual pattern but nothing says Hasbro has to absolutely stick to their pattern every single time and bluntly in some of the MCU waves it's been the comic characters that are the biggest pegwarmers.  With a cast as big as the Eternals they may just decide its' in their best interest to go "all movie" and try to get as many of them done as possible.

I'm not sure the would go all movie especially with a completely new franchise, probably better to test the waters first before going all out 

Make it easy for Hasbro and toss in some Top Heavy Weights, Comic Thor (Battle Armor Variant Maybe), because well Thor sells and Thor did interact with Eternals in the comics, and second how about for fun Comic Ronan, both of those characters fit in a way and may look similar in style with the eternals

in the end who knows?

I will probably wait to see the movies before getting any of the mcu figures from an eternals wave, i just don't have a great feeling about it. but of course the film could very easily change my mind.

Comic Starfox would be nice. tbh i don't have much use for comics eternals either. I'd buy comics Ronan and perhaps a battle armor Thor, although they seem like unlikely choices for an Eternals wave but who knows

21 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

I would like to see Crystal, but I honestly think it depends on how many female characters from the Eternals get made. It seems like waves often only have one female character and never more than two (unless I'm forgetting something). We know the movie includes Sersi and Thena as prominent characters, as well as Ajak and Makkari in supporting roles. If even two of them get made, I would be very surprised to see a female comic book character in the wave. 

19 hours ago, RAMCAT said:

I can see a comic Starfox being thrown in the wave for sure.

I would like that. 

16 hours ago, RAMCAT said:

A classic, comic Drax the Destroyer maybe 😬

I would also like that! 

18 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Make it easy for Hasbro and toss in some Top Heavy Weights, Comic Thor (Battle Armor Variant Maybe), because well Thor sells and Thor did interact with Eternals in the comics, and second how about for fun Comic Ronan, both of those characters fit in a way and may look similar in style with the eternals

in the end who knows?

I would love a comic version of Ronan the Accuser! 

On 11/6/2019 at 1:20 PM, leokearon said:

I'm not sure the would go all movie especially with a completely new franchise, probably better to test the waters first before going all out 

See, people keep saying that, and while I recognize that it's been Hasbro's pattern to squeeze a couple comic characters into movie tie-in waves, there's nothing that says they have to stick to that pattern every single time, and as I've noted:  It's often the comic-based characters that end up pegwarming from those initial movie tie-in waves (not always or exclusively, but often). 

So yeah, I could see Hasbro taking the chance and seeing how an "all movie" wave does.  Not saying they WILL but if there's any movie that likely justifies getting a little experimental, it'd be something with a cast as expansive as Eternals.  Unless of course it just ends up being the Ikaris and Thena show and everyone else has bit parts.

Just now, Jmacq1 said:

See, people keep saying that, and while I recognize that it's been Hasbro's pattern to squeeze a couple comic characters into movie tie-in waves, there's nothing that says they have to stick to that pattern every single time, and as I've noted:  It's often the comic-based characters that end up pegwarming from those initial movie tie-in waves (not always or exclusively, but often). 

So yeah, I could see Hasbro taking the chance and seeing how an "all movie" wave does.  Not saying they WILL but if there's any movie that likely justifies getting a little experimental, it'd be something with a cast as expansive as Eternals.  Unless of course it just ends up being the Ikaris and Thena show and everyone else has bit parts.

They don't have to stick to that pattern, but remember the previous MCU only waves for BP and Endgame did have a number of re-releases and retools and were made after the movies were runaway successes. Hopefully it won;t be the I and T movie.

Just now, leokearon said:

They don't have to stick to that pattern, but remember the previous MCU only waves for BP and Endgame did have a number of re-releases and retools and were made after the movies were runaway successes. Hopefully it won;t be the I and T movie.

I feel like we're talking past each other here.  I'm aware of Hasbro's past patterns.  I'm simply saying that it's not impossible they could step outside those patterns. In which case using the past patterns as a counterargument doesn't really apply because the whole point is that they would be stepping outside those patterns.

IMO, an all MCU wave will be a huge blunder on their part. These are characters that nobody outside comic readers knows from a hole in the wall, even less than they did GOTG. Comic based classic Starfox & Crystal would help as well as a long overdue classic comic based Jim Starlin/Ron Lim based Thanos as the BAF. He's an offshoot of the Eternals from Titan so he, Starfox & Crystal make sense to be made in this wave imo.

6 hours ago, Gigantor said:

IMO, an all MCU wave will be a huge blunder on their part. These are characters that nobody outside comic readers knows from a hole in the wall, even less than they did GOTG. Comic based classic Starfox & Crystal would help as well as a long overdue classic comic based Jim Starlin/Ron Lim based Thanos as the BAF. He's an offshoot of the Eternals from Titan so he, Starfox & Crystal make sense to be made in this wave imo.

However, these guys could become just as famous as the Guardians did and it is still a Marvel movie. Also adding in comic characters that only comic readers would know doesn't really help.

Waves always require a certain amount of reuse of older parts so an all mcu-wave seems unlikely unless they can cobble together eternal character's figures from previous comic or mcu figures (like how talos reused a lot of loki parts).  If the movie is successful i would imagine a 2nd wave that is all mcu  would be a possibility but  for the first wave, I'd predict we get (including BAF)  the typical assortment of  4 mcu characters and 2-4 comic characters.

19 hours ago, leokearon said:

However, these guys could become just as famous as the Guardians did and it is still a Marvel movie. Also adding in comic characters that only comic readers would know doesn't really help.

Hey, by all means, make it an all MCU based wave. It would save me a ton of $$.  I just don't see Hasbro doing that. Ms Marvel, sorry, can't call her Captain, is more known than the Eternals & they didn't go with an all MCU wave for her. They had to put in a few Comic based characters. 

3 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Hey, by all means, make it an all MCU based wave. It would save me a ton of $$.  I just don't see Hasbro doing that. Ms Marvel, sorry, can't call her Captain, is more known than the Eternals & they didn't go with an all MCU wave for her. They had to put in a few Comic based characters. 

I don't see them doing it either. I was pointing out the fact that it doesn't matter whether the range is  MCU or Comic characters, the general public isn't going to know who the characters are 

5 hours ago, leokearon said:

I don't see them doing it either. I was pointing out the fact that it doesn't matter whether the range is  MCU or Comic characters, the general public isn't going to know who the characters are 

Fair point, although you could say the same about the first GotG wave.  Having already been a fan of the team in the comics, though, i knew that set of characters had the potential to be super popular... not sure i can say that about the Eternals, based on the comics i've read  (the 80s maxi-series, some avengers appearances, the Neil Gaiman, series, and, uh, the Chuck Austen series...).  But i suppose feige can spin dross into gold, maybe. Certainly the cast is pretty stellar.