'Umbrella Academy' Scribe Tapped To Develop Marvel's 'Moon Knight'

Outsiders

Jeremy Slater has been picked to develop and lead the writing team on Moon Knight, the Disney+ series from Marvel Studios.  Slater is credited for developing and writing the Netflix’s comic book adaptation Umbrella Academy series.

This announcement comes after the news of Jessica Gao has been hired to develop and lead the writing team on She-Hulk, which is also a series from Marvel Studios for the Disney+ streaming service.

Moon Knight is one of Marvel’s less clearly-defined characters, having had numerous series, mostly short-lived, and several origins, some with superpowers, some with none, since his first appearance in 1975’s Werewolf by Night #32.

The hero is ostensibly Marc Spector, a mercenary who has numerous alter egos — cabbie Jake Lockley and millionaire playboy Steven Grant — in order to better fight the criminal underworld. But later he was established as being a conduit for the Egyptian moon god Khonshu. Most recently, he was a consultant who dresses in all-white and goes by the name Mr. Knight.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

While I think Slaten's writings are perfect to bring some magic to one of Marvel's most complex, yet underappreciated characters, they are quite dark (as Moon Knight should be), and I'm wondering how much the obvious Disney constraints are going to compromise his ability to properly write MK the way he wants to. We've seen it many time where a great writer/director with some good credits under his belt is tasked with a project with great expectations only to fall flat because their work was restricted from the higher ups. Umbrella Academy is amazing, but I think anyone expecting that kinda quality from this project are destined to be disappointed. As a fan, I'm a huge MK honk (heh, heh...huge honk), but in general I don't think Disney, due to it's own so called "state of values", will ever be able to give MK the proper gritty, violent, dark feel that will do it justice, though they do not lack in the resources to do so. Netflix doing Daredevil is one thing, Disney doing Moon Knight is a whole different animal. I honestly have the best of hope though. Many fans have been waiting for MK to get some love for a long time.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:36 AM, JayC said:

The biggest danger for this series I see for this is that he doesn't just become a carbon copy version of Batman, which I think is how many see him.

That, and the notion that Moon Knight can be done correctly with a pg-13 limitation. I don't see it; the character is just too complex, too intense for that. But so far Marvel was able to bring Guardians, Dr. Strange and Ant-Man to the screen and make those work, so I'm hoping this will pan out too.

Just please please, if youre gonna do it do it correctly. Don't do what they did with the Inhumans and Iron Fist. What a steaming pile of wrong those were.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:36 AM, JayC said:

The biggest danger for this series I see for this is that he doesn't just become a carbon copy version of Batman, which I think is how many see him.

One other thing: to minimize that, I think they should drop the crescent throwing darts from his arsenal (not in the comics).  I realize its unfair, because so many other superheroes have those types of weapons, but really in his case its just too close to the Batarang.  Maybe keep two of the larger ones that can be used like daggers.

Ah, what the hey, they can do what they like...if the series is good then no one will care.

703302__sx1280_ql80_ttd_1.jpg

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:14 PM, Bluecomet said:

Happy Monday everyone. I am eagerly waiting for Disney + here in Australia...You guys are lucky to be able to pre-order..I'm looking forward for all the new series like this one...hopefully it would be at par or better than Netflix daredevil season 1.

Yes well youre not missing anything because while you can log on and see what shows theyre supposed to have, you cant actually see the shows ( "content license not available" or similar messages appear). I have heard some people can get some shows on some platforms but otherwise Disney+ is a bust. Hopefully by today they'll get this all resolved.