Marvel Announces New Magical Saga With Strange Academy

JayC

Through its history, the Marvel Universe has seen magic rise and fall to warp minds, control the future, and even destroy the very fabric of reality. Now, magic has changed and is more powerful – and dangerous – than ever, and Doctor Strange is forced to do what he’s avoided for decades: he’s opened a school for young sorcerers…but as they will soon learn, magic always comes at a cost. Welcome to STRANGE ACADEMY!

Announced by the Associated Press, STRANGE ACADEMY will launch this March as a new ongoing series helmed by best-selling comic book veterans: Eisner Award-winning writer Skottie Young (Deadpool, Rocket Raccoon) and critically acclaimed artist Humberto Ramos (Amazing Spider-Man, Champions). The new series will bring together a whole new class of students from Earth, Weirdworld, Asgard, the Dark Dimension, and beyond to learn how to control their gifts in the Mystic Arts under Doctor Strange, Brother Voodoo, The Ancient One, Scarlet Witch, Magik, Hellstrom, and all of Marvel’s most iconic magicians. But with a new threat looming on the horizon, is it too late?

“What we’re really trying to do is tell those classic coming of age stories that we’ve seen in so many other properties or other projects out there in the world whether it be TV or film or novels or comics,” Young told the AP. “Whether it’s kids running around mazes or kids at a magic school or people running around trying to survive a post-apocalyptic landscape.”

“Over a year ago, I was driving Skottie down from the airport in Mexico, and out of the blue, he asked me what I wanted to do after working on Spider-Man,” said Ramos. “He began to pitch me on an incredible project for the rest of the weekend…and I’m excited to now say that project is STRANGE ACADEMY! Like all great stories, they all start with an idea…and this idea blew me away. We can’t share too much yet, but if you stick around, you’ll get to experience magic like you’ve never seen before in the Marvel Universe. Welcome to Strange Academy! Man, I love the first day of school!”

STRANGE ACADEMY will center on Emily Bright (a girl who discovered magical powers since birth), Doyle Dormammu (the illegitimate son of the Dark Dimension’s ruler), and their new classmates as mysteries begin to unfold not just for the students at the school, but for the entire Marvel Universe. With a new cast rooted in Marvel’s history and fan-favorite characters, this series will be the perfect introduction for both fans just diving into comics and for fans who have been following Marvel for years.

Set in the mystical backdrop of New Orleans, The Big Easy will play a pivotal role in STRANGE ACADEMY with its rich local culture and innate magic of the French Quarter, the Bayou, the Swamps, and more. To capture the essence of STRANGE ACADEMY, Young and Ramos conducted their research firsthand.

“There’s a nice history and folklore about magic and the mystic arts and the dark arts and things like that that kind of surround the mythos of New Orleans,” said Young. “Having just gone there myself for my 40th, I thought that would be a great place to set it.”

STRANGE ACADEMY #1
Written by SKOTTIE YOUNG
Art and Cover by HUMBERTO RAMOS

StrangeAcademy1.jpg

StrangeAcademy2.jpg

StrangeAcademy3.jpg

StrangeAcademy4.jpg

StrangeAcademy2020001_cover.jpg

This is a good idea. Aside from some major events and the crossovers (which are major events) the magical side of the Marvel Universe is ignored (until such events). DC in comparison has a much stronger "Arcane" presents with what seems like many more villains and heros that fall under the magical type. Aside from Strange, Dormammu and Mordo I don't really remember that many mystical characters being on the forefront in recent years. It's a serious deficiency in Marvel. Of course, Disney's influence probably has a lot to do with it, but a buck is a whatever pays the bills.

1 hour ago, leokearon said:

Basically Avengers Academy but with Magic. Shame the likes of Wanda dn Magik are just going to be guest stars and not part of the actual regular cast

I know my opinion may be unwarranted, since I'm not a reader, but I think it's cool they're presenting new characters for the guest stars to give the mantle to. 

24 minutes ago, FASVB said:

The concept seems interesting, but the art of the comic is not good at all.

It's Humberto Ramos. I wouldn't say his art objectively bad or good, but it's certainly not everybody's cup of tea. Personally, I enjoy his style with the dynamism of his strokes, variety of shapes, and the liveliness of his facial expressions.

1 hour ago, ADour said:

It's Humberto Ramos. I wouldn't say his art objectively bad or good, but it's certainly not everybody's cup of tea. Personally, I enjoy his style with the dynamism of his strokes, variety of shapes, and the liveliness of his facial expressions.

Yeah, Ramos is one of those you like them or hate them artists. I like his art