Marvel Legends 6" Black Widow Wave Fully Revealed And Up For Pre-Order

JayC

13 hours ago, Gigantor said:

I'm a comic based collector only, so the more MCU based figure waves that Hasbro does to promote the next big movie, the more $$ I save. The choice for the least popular version of CD was $$ based. But in trying to cut costs on this wave by using like 70% of the Iron Monger BAF, they have probably cost themselves a lot of $$ from fans that will now buy this wave piecemeal like I will when I buy Spymaster/Winter Soldier & Crossbones, while if it had been the CD from the 80s Armor wars that the majority of us wanted, I'd be buying the entire wave & then selling off the MCU figs. And sorry, all I see is the sheriff from "Stranger things" cosplaying as Red Guardian when I look at him. To have not made an alternate masked head sculpt was a huge mistake on Hasbro's part imo. Dunno bout the rest of you, but I go to see superhero movies to see them sporting masks/helmets, DGAF to see them unmasked 60% or more of the movie. That's why I love the most recent "Judge Dredd" movie, I wanna see Dredd, not Joseph.

Seriously man, I think you're giving the BAF an early bad rap. I've looked the images over extensively. Quite literally, the only straight re-use from the Iron Monger are the legs. I initially thought maybe the hands were the same, but even they are different. If you look at the individual parts in the packaging shots you will see the arms are new the shoulder pads are new (of course) and the chest and torso are new. They're even articulated different and if you look hard enough you'll even notice the chest is wider and the neck pin sits higher than Iron Monger. This figure is actually gonna stand a bit higher than Iron Monger, which will probably bug some people, but I think Iron Monger was undersized to begin with. As a fellow Comic figure lover I'd hope you give it a shot. I agree the Movie figures seem of a bit lower quality than the most recent bunch, but it's better to at least get a figure for you money than pay a gouging price for the BAF single on Evilbay.

A few thoughts:

These do look kinda under-deco'ed.  Did they not use the face scan tech on these?  That seems an odd choice for a movie line.

I'm alternating on MCU Taskmaster.  One second I think he looks super-dorky and the next I think he looks super-cool.

Who wants to bet that we get white-suit Natasha, masked Red Guardian, and maybe Iron Maiden as exclusives in some form?

Not the Crimson Dynamo I was hoping for (Bukharin/Mk. IV) but it IS the Crimson Dynamo that's best suited for a beefy Build-A-Figure.   I kinda love the Iron Monger/Mandroid mold despite its' limitations so it doesn't bother me to see those legs again.

I was holding out some small hope for an Ursa Major BAF but I guess that'll have to wait.  Maybe Hasbro can put out a Winter Guard Amazon exclusive boxed set next year.

All-in-All it's a kinda "meh" wave.  Glad to get an update to Winter Soldier and Spymaster is a welcome old-school addition but the rest is leaving me a bit cold.  Of course I'll probably still buy all or most of them, but this will probably be largely a "see how low they go on Amazon" wave vs a "Preorder immediately" wave.

9 minutes ago, tarot said:

This wave is just prove my point again with hasbro. They NEVER put a proper effort into the first wave of a new franchise. This is because the movie might flop. Better safe then sorry

Sometimes they don't even put a proper effort into the waves of existing  franchises (lack of effects and rush waves)

18 minutes ago, tarot said:

This wave is just prove my point again with hasbro. They NEVER put a proper effort into the first wave of a new franchise. This is because the movie might flop. Better safe then sorry

I mean, the character selection seems decent to me.  I'm assuming the designs are pretty movie-accurate, it's really just the deco on the MCU figs (besides Taskmaster) that seems to be lacking.

I could see some folks being salty that the comic offerings seem to be more Cap and Iron Man oriented than Black Widow oriented but Black Widow doesn't exactly have a prominent supporting cast of her own.  And as much fun as an all-Russia themed wave could have been a lot of the Winter Guard/Soviet Super Soldiers are probably obscure enough that they're still a couple years away from seriously getting looked at.

There’s a lot of warranted negativity in this comment section, most of which I agree with, especially the hopefully preliminary face printing, so I figured I’d say something positive. I do like Red Guardian and Widow’s costumes, but the face printing leaves something to be desired. Don’t even get me started on how much Yelena looks like a porcelain doll. But those don’t matter much, because that Taskmaster figure is GORGEOUS!! I was excited for him, but he’s so much more than I’d ever hoped for. I think I’m going to have to buy three of him, one for the sword and shield, one for the bow and arrow and one for his Black Panther claws. Seriously, this figure is already a contender for 2020 figure of the year. It’s literally perfect to me.

This has something to do with the online rumor that Natasha from IW and Endgame was actually Yelena in disguise so if you haven't heard or read it, maybe look it up cuz there is validity to it.

It basically says this movie takes place between Civil War and IW and Natasha had been captured by Thunderbolt Ross and Yelena was sent in to infiltrate the outlaw Avengers masquerading as Natasha, similar to how Natasha disguised herself as Councilwoman Hawley in Winter Soldier. They are siting 5 items of proof for this:

1. Natasha and Bruce's once igniting romance was a no-show in either movie, and she was maybe even a bit cold to him as the Merged Banner.

2. She returned in IW inexplicably blonde, to many of our surprise. Not that it mattered all that much at the time but it was a spark of discussion for a bit around the comic and movie community

3. If you look at the comparisons between the green vest Natasha's wearing in IW and the one Yelena is wearing Black Widow, they are identical. Now these could simply be standard issue for the Red Room in which they both were given one so they may not be the exact same one, but you could see how this might have been something Feige left out there so he could go in several directions.

4. In the "death" scene between Clint and "Natasha" there seemed to be some underlying and maybe romantic history they were speaking of that wasn't really there between the usually very close, yet platonic feel of interactions between the two before. That would mean Clint was aware of who she really was, but as the world was being turned upside down, could Yelena have not had a change of heart and abandoned her mission in order to save the world at which point Clint would have decided to keep her secret for a later time?

5. In the new movie trailer they are very close in size and height and the trailer actually makes it a point to make them seem like mirror images of each other during their fight. It's very interesting at the least.

All that was said to make this point though: Why wasn't the Yelena figure made in the same way the IW Black Widow was done, which was an actual overlay that you could remove and it maybe looked a little skinny, but still worked out well. Had they done it that way they could have given us both black and white suits that the vests could have been used with and the various head sculpts could have been used with them as we please? Then again, would that have made it too obvious if they had just re-used the IW Black Widow figure in white cast plastic? Just something to roll around in your brains, there.

3 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

I mean, the character selection seems decent to me.  I'm assuming the designs are pretty movie-accurate, it's really just the deco on the MCU figs (besides Taskmaster) that seems to be lacking.

I could see some folks being salty that the comic offerings seem to be more Cap and Iron Man oriented than Black Widow oriented but Black Widow doesn't exactly have a prominent supporting cast of her own.  And as much fun as an all-Russia themed wave could have been a lot of the Winter Guard/Soviet Super Soldiers are probably obscure enough that they're still a couple years away from seriously getting looked at.

Their isn't anything wrong with the comic figures in my opinion, Bucky has history with natasha, Spymaster is a spy like Natasha and Crossbones could be a nod to thier encounter in the Civil War movie

10 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

"...I could see some folks being salty that the comic offerings seem to be more Cap and Iron Man oriented than Black Widow oriented but Black Widow doesn't exactly have a prominent supporting cast of her own.  And as much fun as an all-Russia themed wave could have been a lot of the Winter Guard/Soviet Super Soldiers are probably obscure enough that they're still a couple years away from seriously getting looked at."

This is true, which is why I think they should have really worked harder on what they did produce. And Marvel needs to beef up comic book Black Widow's supporting cast/villain line up. She's got a new ongoing series so they have a platform to do it. Hasbro could do "part II" wave that has a top-notch comic version of Natasha (NO spindly body buck or Mary Jane face please and thank you). Yelena in the glossy black mid-riff suit, the Crimson Dynamo everyone was expecting,  Vanguard with a masked MCU RG head ( remember Hasbro gave us an Ultron head with their last Vision figure, but no Ultron body, so its not unheard of ), Darkstar, Vostok or Ursa Major (human form, Soviet uniform), and Ursa Major as BAF.

Black_Widow_Pale_.jpg

2 minutes ago, leokearon said:

Their isn't anything wrong with the comic figures in my opinion, Bucky has history with natasha, Spymaster is a spy like Natasha and Crossbones could be a nod to thier encounter in the Civil War movie

Agree. This version of Bucky was a Russian Assassin that not only has a history with Black Widow but also trained her and had, or sometimes still has, a romantic relationship with Black Widow.

Then there Spymaster, who like you said is a Spy like BW. Not only that but Both of them are started off as Iron Man villains. 

As for Crossbones, i mean he did work for Alexander Lupin during the WS arc. That make him a Russian operative as well right? Kinda? Also I'm pretty sure the 2 fought at some point either in a Cap book or an Avengers book.

As for Crimson Dynamo, I love this design. I admit it's not what I want but it looks great and I always want a new character. Shortlived as he is at least he got made. Not only that but given that there is so many CDs I wouldn't be surprised in another few waves we see another version. Maybe for a second BW wave if the film does well. (Although I have a feeling this movie is setting up her successor rather then replacing her like @monron999 suggested, interesting as they are.)

off topic:  monron's theory is quite interesting but i think if hawkeye knew about a switch he would've said something after they returned from the time heist. it also seems unlikely to me that Yelena would've kept up the disguise for the whole 5 year blip.  Although it might explain why Widow didn't know who Red Skull was, i would think Natasha would know that was Steve's arch-enemy but Yelena might not.  

Ultimately, tho, I  think its more likely that they are considering Yelena as a replacement for Nat, as Tarot suggested. My guess is that if the character is well-received in the BW movie she may end up on the Avengers or perhaps headlining a  BW 2 movie.

10 hours ago, monron999 said:

Seriously man, I think you're giving the BAF an early bad rap. I've looked the images over extensively. Quite literally, the only straight re-use from the Iron Monger are the legs. I initially thought maybe the hands were the same, but even they are different. If you look at the individual parts in the packaging shots you will see the arms are new the shoulder pads are new (of course) and the chest and torso are new. They're even articulated different and if you look hard enough you'll even notice the chest is wider and the neck pin sits higher than Iron Monger. This figure is actually gonna stand a bit higher than Iron Monger, which will probably bug some people, but I think Iron Monger was undersized to begin with. As a fellow Comic figure lover I'd hope you give it a shot. I agree the Movie figures seem of a bit lower quality than the most recent bunch, but it's better to at least get a figure for you money than pay a gouging price for the BAF single on Evilbay.

Regardless if they used new parts on it, it's still not the one version the vast majority of us Ironman fans wanted. They instead make a figure of a character that appeared n what, a 4 issue mini series? I'll just wait till Hasbro makes these versions of the Winter Guard.

soviets.jpg

5 hours ago, Emnems80 said:

So who here is preordering the full wave?

Guilty. I’m an MCU guy so with 4 figures and I like the BAF so it makes sense for me. Plus Winter soldier 

also, I’m torn. The faces look generic but otherwise the movie figs look pretty good. Like others, I’m hoping for 2 packs or exclusives to fill this this wave with the missing extras like Red Guardians Masked head

2 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Regardless if they used new parts on it, it's still not the one version the vast majority of us Ironman fans wanted. They instead make a figure of a character that appeared n what, a 4 issue mini series? I'll just wait till Hasbro makes these versions of the Winter Guard.

soviets.jpg

I agree. This is the image that comes to mind when I think of Winter Guard. That is the quintessential CD and Ursa Major shoulda been the BAF but we're left to have to share a wave with the obligatory movie figs and I'm pretty excited for the comic figures they did at all. At least the BAF wasn't another M'Baku or Okoye situation. I think our best case scenario for ever getting these versions of CD or Titanium Man is to keep pushing for an Iron Man specific wave.

7 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

off topic:  monron's theory is quite interesting but i think if hawkeye knew about a switch he would've said something after they returned from the time heist. it also seems unlikely to me that Yelena would've kept up the disguise for the whole 5 year blip.  Although it might explain why Widow didn't know who Red Skull was, i would think Natasha would know that was Steve's arch-enemy but Yelena might not.

Aaahh, I thought of that too. What if Clint assumed Natasha had been blipped instead of captured and he thought there was better good in Yelena carrying on in her stead and they would decide later when to reveal the secret, but she ultimately died and if they succeeded in their mission Natasha would be blipped back and no harm, no foul. Ultimately though, that would leave Clint wondering where Nat turned up at the end of Endgame. It's all convoluted and only that last part is my personal theory as I had the same drawback that you do. It's just one of those things that could totally blow your mind. I just think it might depend on the success of the movie. If it does well I'm sure they'd find a way to bring her back for a full arc, but they could go the other way and take Yelena into the future of the MCU. I find it hard that they would create just a 1-off for the MCU's most popular female character.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:34 AM, ADour said:

I've been waiting since 2010 for Hasbro to upscale pretty much 90% of their output for the 3.75" Iron Man 2 line. Modern Iron Man, Ultimate Iron Man, Dark Reign War Machine, classic War Machine, modern Whiplash, classic Crimson Dynamo, Iron Man MK I, MCU Whiplash, MCU Hammer Drones... It's painful to think about it.

I'm still holding out for that Prometheus/heroes reborn armor with the two tail pipes. While I hated the ridiculous storyline, I did like that armor. But the great thing about Iron Man, a lot of those 3.75" figures were really well done and haven't yet been made into the 6" Legends line...so we can all look forward to that!

8 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

I'm still holding out for that Prometheus/heroes reborn armor with the two tail pipes. While I hated the ridiculous storyline, I did like that armor. But the great thing about Iron Man, a lot of those 3.75" figures were really well done and haven't yet been made into the 6" Legends line...so we can all look forward to that!

There is a ml if it already. In the ares baf wave.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:29 AM, Jmacq1 said:

"...Not the Crimson Dynamo I was hoping for (Bukharin/Mk. IV) but it IS the Crimson Dynamo that's best suited for a beefy Build-A-Figure.."

I'm hoping if/when they do the Titanium Man they use the classic armor; that's definitely "beefy":

ti.jpg

On 12/9/2019 at 1:03 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Honestly I think this wave was really a 2 for one cash grab idea, 1 to make a obligatory movie wave to coincide with MCU movie, and 2 to re-use old bucks and molds or utilise the least amount of new features to save money (on making a cheaper wave..remember china import prices going up folks!). it looks like a recycle wave because they can, they clearly said, nah don't use this new face scan tech, nah don't give them any new bucks (I think nobody here has a new buck, is Taskmaster not Ronin without a jacket, and a bit of new sculpt?) both Yelena and Widow are total re-used parts, of course so are the comic figures, Seems Red Guardian is the only brand newish sculpt I still see elements of older figures however.

It's a real step down the ladder of quality here, but they know it's going to sell, because we eat it all up

this scares me, like I said about all of the re-paints coming out so furiously, Hasbro knows us to well, and we are going to enter the age (which I hope won't be true) of seriously recycled parts, lack of face scans (when can be applied) and re-paints, beacuse of the china problem

but let's hope not

The only reuse in this wave is the three comic figures and the legs on the BAF. Also MAYBE Yelena and Widow’s legs, I can’t tell on that. But Taskmaster and Red Guardian are 100% new, along with above the legs on Widow, Yelena and Crimson Dynamo. Widow and Yelena share the same (new) arms. Honestly, I was really disappointed in the faces, and yeah, they’re not perfect, but they’re much better looking in more high-red images. Still not perfect, though.