Marvel's Next Generation Of Heroes Outlawed

JayC

This March, Marvel’s brightest heroes will defend their very right to save the world in OUTLAWED, an event one-shot that will kick off one of 2020’s biggest events! Announced this morning by A.V. Club, a devastating tragedy causes the government to crackdown on young vigilantes, sending shockwaves throughout the entire Marvel Universe. With various stories spinning out of it throughout next year, OUTLAWED is just the epic beginning of a bold new era for Marvel’s most promising heroes!

With the lives of Marvel’s most popular heroes from Miles Morales to Ms. Marvel thrown into chaos, OUTLAWED will raise tough questions that Chicago-based writer and scholar Dr. Eve L. Ewing (IRONHEART) is more than ready to tackle. “To me, this story isn't just about young people being in conflict with the government, but much bigger questions about what we ask of young people, how they're expected to be independent sometimes and subservient other times,” Ewing said in an exclusive interview with A.V. Club. “Every era of history brings new challenges, and young people today are coming of age… yet we often don't recognize their wisdom and their insights. It's like we get above a certain age and lose all empathy. I just wanted to explore that tension, and them being superheroes really ups the stakes because they're literally out there saving lives every day, but aren't seen as full people or full citizens. AND, at the same time, maybe the law is a good idea? Maybe it really is for everyone's protection? It's intentionally kind of morally ambiguous.”

“We’re bringing the next generation of heroes to the forefront in a major way and swinging for the fences in terms of story, stakes and scale,” added Editor Alanna Smith. “OUTLAWED introduces an ongoing status quo that will be reflected in books across the line—almost every active character who’s under 21 (and even a few who are older) will be affected by the decisions made in OUTLAWED, and they won’t all agree on whether the new world order is good or bad. But there are real, serious consequences now for those who go against the ruling passed down in OUTLAWED, and it’ll interfere with their lives in a way they’ve never experienced, leading to some really interesting stories.”

OUTLAWED #1 by Eve L. Ewing and Kim Jacinto is on sale this March! To find a comic shop near you, visit www.comicshoplocator.com or call 1-888-comicbook.

OUTLAWED #1
Written by EVE L. EWING
Art by KIM JACINTO
Cover by PEPE LARRAZ

Outlawed.jpg

9 minutes ago, ADour said:

Sounds fun. I trust Eve Ewing, and the concept of outlawing only teenage heroes feels like a much more believable middle point between the extremes of the usual "everything's fair game" and the "no matter who you are, if you wear a mask you're under arrest" from Civil War.

Agree, it has a good creative team and more believable premise.  Can't wait.

2 minutes ago, ADour said:

Why dontcha point out when has this scenario happened ever before? Good luck.

I mean, it's not that way away from Civil War's premise of outlawing super heroes. But it does feel like a fresh take, one for the youths IMO. He's not gonna get it anyway, he's too much 'always right' to accept he's missing out.

3 hours ago, memocromatico said:

I mean, it's not that way away from Civil War's premise of outlawing super heroes. But it does feel like a fresh take, one for the youths IMO. He's not gonna get it anyway, he's too much 'always right' to accept he's missing out.

I think the similarity with Civil War is only at surface level, since CW included registration, the battle of ideologies, and its main focus was the hero vs. hero angle, whereas this seems to be one-sided. I'm really curious to see the reaction of the older heroes, whether some will help young heroes stay under the radar or tell them to stand down.

It'd be fun if this story ends with the heroes and the government reaching a compromise, resulting in the foundation of (another) academy for young heroes. I always liked the concept of Avengers: The Initiative and I'd love to see Marvel take another shot at it without the premise being constantly derailed by the turmoil of the Civil War aftermath, then Secret Invasion and then Dark Reign. I've always had a knack for the concept of superhero academies.

Of course our ol' buddy mako is never going to bend, and he probably has us blocked, but it's still funny to show him up.

6 hours ago, ADour said:

Sounds fun. I trust Eve Ewing, and the concept of outlawing only teenage heroes feels like a much more believable middle point between the extremes of the usual "everything's fair game" and the "no matter who you are, if you wear a mask you're under arrest" from Civil War.

Well, everyone have own preferences, I run from Ewing, very pretentious in Ultimates (Gosh, he make me hate Blue Marvel) and i had to leave Hulk, too slow and pretentious again with lazy resolutions, so easy pass for me for this "Millenial Civil War"

19 minutes ago, Legender said:

Well, everyone have own preferences, I run from Ewing, very pretentious in Ultimates (Gosh, he make me hate Blue Marvel) and i had to leave Hulk, too slow and pretentious again with lazy resolutions, so easy pass for me for this "Millenial Civil War"

You're genuinely the first person I've come across that dislikes Al Ewing. The general consensus about him seems to be overwhelmingly positive. Al Ewing is potentially the best writer currently working at Marvel, and I've enjoyed every single one of his works. His plots are dynamic and superb, his dialogue feels fresh, his characters have each their own distinct voice, and he's not afraid to jump between genres; he's as good writing dramatic moments as he is writing funny scenes. And on top of all of that, he uses continuity (both current and past) in excellent ways to either to develop or push stories forward. He made me like Blue Marvel, as well as many other characters I didn't care about.

But that aside, you're mixing up Al Ewing with Eve L. Ewing. Eve is the one writing this thing. She's a newcomer, but a rising star. Her only Marvel work so far has been Ironheart, which turned Riri Williams into a bearable character.

26 minutes ago, ADour said:

But that aside, you're mixing up Al Ewing with Eve L. Ewing. Eve is the one writing this thing. She's a newcomer, but a rising star. Her only Marvel work so far has been Ironheart, which turned Riri Williams into a bearable character.

Duh, my bad ... thanks for highlight my mistake buddy! 

8 hours ago, ADour said:

If she can rehab some of these Champions characters in a similar way she did Riri I'm all in to give it a shot. With the whole outlaw thing I think they're trying to do revival of the 70's/80's X-Men vibe, which was good and entertaining. Back then they had a message but it was all done through allegory, not just a slap in the face. If they could pull that off it would be yet another move in the right direction for Marvel.

3 hours ago, monron999 said:

If she can rehab some of these Champions characters in a similar way she did Riri I'm all in to give it a shot. With the whole outlaw thing I think they're trying to do revival of the 70's/80's X-Men vibe, which was good and entertaining. Back then they had a message but it was all done through allegory, not just a slap in the face. If they could pull that off it would be yet another move in the right direction for Marvel.

I think we may be experiencing the youth's allegories as a slap in the face because we're older and get it. I may be wrong, but I think that our experience is the very same thing that could be making us feel like they're dumbing down. I mean, it's happened to me talking to my younger siblings about different subjects, and they're not that much younger.

13 hours ago, leokearon said:

Sounds too similar to Civil War for my liking. Hopefully it won't be a killfest like some of Marvel's other teen crossovers

The premise is similar to Civil War only on a surface level, really. CW involved the outlawing of heroes, but only if they were unregistered. The focal point of the story was the hero vs. hero angle, the battle of ideologies and the assimilation of vigilantism into the system. This here is a complete prohibition with no "unless" and no sides to take.

10 hours ago, ADour said:

The premise is similar to Civil War only on a surface level, really. CW involved the outlawing of heroes, but only if they were unregistered. The focal point of the story was the hero vs. hero angle, the battle of ideologies and the assimilation of vigilantism into the system. This here is a complete prohibition with no "unless" and no sides to take.

There are still sides to take, their will be those who agree and those who don't. Those who will obey the law and those will be fight it it, just like Civil War. Hopefully though this will be handled way better than both Civil War and especially Civil War 2

20 minutes ago, leokearon said:

There are still sides to take, their will be those who agree and those who don't. Those who will obey the law and those will be fight it it, just like Civil War. Hopefully though this will be handled way better than both Civil War and especially Civil War 2

The synopsis does indicate that not everybody will have the same opinion to the outlawing, but it doesn't seem to imply the "whose side are you on" and "debate with fisticuffs" aspects which are the meat of any Civil War story.

41 minutes ago, ADour said:

The synopsis does indicate that not everybody will have the same opinion to the outlawing, but it doesn't seem to imply the "whose side are you on" and "debate with fisticuffs" aspects which are the meat of any Civil War story.

Just because the Synopisis doesn't mentioned Hero vs Hero doesn't mean it won't happen, look at AXIS. It seemed it was going to be a good old Hero Vs Villain clash and then it became hero Vs Hero. Hopefully the kids are more willing to talk things out and  compromise unlike the adults, so we don't get a hero vs hero story

2 minutes ago, leokearon said:

Just because the Synopisis doesn't mentioned Hero vs Hero doesn't mean it won't happen, look at AXIS. It seemed it was going to be a good old Hero Vs Villain clash and then it became hero Vs Hero. Hopefully the kids are more willing to talk things out and  compromise unlike the adults, so we don't get a hero vs hero story

One would think that if the story really focused on hero vs. hero, they would at the very least mention it if not flat-out promote it as such, which is what they did with both Civil Wars, as well as Schism. And technically speaking, AXIS wasn't really a hero vs. hero story since the second part of that equation had been turned genuinely evil.