Empyre - Marvel’s Next Earth-Shattering Event Of 2020

JayC

55 minutes ago, mako said:

That's . . . cute. They do the whole "redacted" thing (redacted is for the written word numb-nuts, not spoken), like its all gonna be so epic and mind-blowing they have to keep it secret. Totally not because the last few "EVENT" announcements were so full of overused cliches they were putting people to sleep.

Wait. Isn't the "So epic we can't even tell you" thing a cliche to? Nice going Marvel, your unbroken record of mediocrity continues.

You're as cliche as Marvel, man. I pretty much just log in to read you complaining about how boring things are at Marvel this days. Your discourse never changes, it's not creative, and it's not based on anything but prejudice since I understand you're not reading contemporary Marvel issues. 

I've enjoyed the handful of comics I've read by Al Ewing, but it just seems like even writers that i normally enjoy tend to have trouble writing satisfying events... be it Rick Remender, Jason Aaron, or even Hickman (although i enjoyed Infinity... just felt like his "finale" (before returning to do x-men stuff) of Secret Wars seemed rushed and was subpar.   I really wish Marvel would have a moratorium on events for a few years and just let the writers do their thing with ongoing comics.  I guess they do generate excitement and boost sales, at least in the short-run.  Of course i haven't read too many comics in the last 3-4 years so feel free to dismiss me as an old grouch. 

29 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

I've enjoyed the handful of comics I've read by Al Ewing, but it just seems like even writers that i normally enjoy tend to have trouble writing satisfying events... be it Rick Remender, Jason Aaron, or even Hickman (although i enjoyed Infinity... just felt like his "finale" (before returning to do x-men stuff) of Secret Wars seemed rushed and was subpar.   I really wish Marvel would have a moratorium on events for a few years and just let the writers do their thing with ongoing comics.  I guess they do generate excitement and boost sales, at least in the short-run.  Of course i haven't read too many comics in the last 3-4 years so feel free to dismiss me as an old grouch. 

They stated they weren't going to do events for 18 months and about two months in started announcing events. Sadly events are Marvel's main way of boosting sales.

I think comics writers are trying way too hard. I think they should be coming up with a great new villains or new characters in a story arc worthy of attention. Good writing, a dangerous and interesting new villain. They seems to be focused on the next cataclysmic event. The things that I think makes it difficult is that comics can be so convoluted. 

5 hours ago, mako said:

And for you guys who like to take pot-shots just because someone doesn't share the same opinion you borrowed, chew on this:

There is a reason 90% of the story-lines appearing in the Marvel movies are adapted from comics from 10-20-30 or more years ago.

I like to take potshots because you're ignorant and seem to relish on that. You like to talk out of your butt almost as much as an anti-vaxxer likes to pretend they're a doctor, and then get offended when somebody shows you up. If what you said had any actual substance, things would be different.

This question you're posing really shows how simple-minded your way of thinking is. The Marvel Cinematic Universe has been going for over 10 years, and the overall character arcs are laid out well in advance, so they can't just decide to adapt a story from two years ago right now when they've been working with more or less the same pieces for the last decade. Not only that, the movies move at a much slower rate than comics. Hundreds of comic stories will be written between Movie 1 and Movie 2, and since Movie 1 and Movie 2 use comic elements released before them as groundwork, Movie 3 can't suddely use comic elements from the hundreds of stories written in-between Movie 1 and Movie 2.

And even then, it's very easy to show that the MCU does eventually work its way up to newer stories, they're just like a reader that needs time to catch up. But better that than a reader who doesn't actually read, right? Let's take a look:

2008's Iron Man took cues from the "Extremis" storyline from merely 4 years prior. 2012's Avengers was greatly influenced by 2002's Ultimates, from merely 10 years prior. 2013's Iron Man 3 also took cues from "Extremis." 2014's Captain America: The Winter Soldier took cues from a storyline from 2005. 2016's Captain America: Civil War from 2006's Civil War. 2017's Spider-Man: Homecoming had elements and characters from 2011's Ultimate Spider-Man. 2017's Thor: Ragnarok from 2006's Planet Hulk as well as Jason Aaron's 2013 Thor run. 2018's Black Panther had among its influences the almost concurrent Ta-Nehisi Paul Coates' run that had started in 2016. 2018's Avengers: Infinity War was not only inspired by 1991's Infinity Gauntlet, but also 2013's Infinity. 2018's Captain Marvel was heavily influenced by Kelly Sue DeConnick's run from 2012. 2021's Thor: Love and Thunder will adapt the saga of Jane Foster Thor from 2014. On the Disney+ side of things, Ms. Marvel who debuted in 2014 will be getting her own series, and WandaVision will take cues from Tom King's 2016 Vision run.

See? Movies from the 2010s took elements from comics from the 2000s, and now movies from the 2020s will take elements from comics from the 2010s. There's also the obvious fact that older stories are much more ingrained in people's minds than newer stories, and since they have longetivity on their side, they usually take priority. And since older stories also feature a more simpler version of character's mythos, they're much easier to take cues from.

To sum up, sit down.

12 hours ago, ADour said:

I like to take potshots because you're ignorant and seem to relish on that. You like to talk out of your butt almost as much as an anti-vaxxer likes to pretend they're a doctor, and then get offended when somebody shows you up. If what you said had any actual substance, things would be different.

This question you're posing really shows how simple-minded your way of thinking is. The Marvel Cinematic Universe has been going for over 10 years, and the overall character arcs are laid out well in advance, so they can't just decide to adapt a story from two years ago right now when they've been working with more or less the same pieces for the last decade. Not only that, the movies move at a much slower rate than comics. Hundreds of comic stories will be written between Movie 1 and Movie 2, and since Movie 1 and Movie 2 use comic elements released before them as groundwork, Movie 3 can't suddely use comic elements from the hundreds of stories written in-between Movie 1 and Movie 2.

And even then, it's very easy to show that the MCU does eventually work its way up to newer stories, they're just like a reader that needs time to catch up. But better that than a reader who doesn't actually read, right? Let's take a look:

2008's Iron Man took cues from the "Extremis" storyline from merely 4 years prior. 2012's Avengers was greatly influenced by 2002's Ultimates, from merely 10 years prior. 2013's Iron Man 3 also took cues from "Extremis." 2014's Captain America: The Winter Soldier took cues from a storyline from 2005. 2016's Captain America: Civil War from 2006's Civil War. 2017's Spider-Man: Homecoming had elements and characters from 2011's Ultimate Spider-Man. 2017's Thor: Ragnarok from 2006's Planet Hulk as well as Jason Aaron's 2013 Thor run. 2018's Black Panther had among its influences the almost concurrent Ta-Nehisi Paul Coates' run that had started in 2016. 2018's Avengers: Infinity War was not only inspired by 1991's Infinity Gauntlet, but also 2013's Infinity. 2018's Captain Marvel was heavily influenced by Kelly Sue DeConnick's run from 2012. 2021's Thor: Love and Thunder will adapt the saga of Jane Foster Thor from 2014. On the Disney+ side of things, Ms. Marvel who debuted in 2014 will be getting her own series, and WandaVision will take cues from Tom King's 2016 Vision run.

See? Movies from the 2010s took elements from comics from the 2000s, and now movies from the 2020s will take elements from comics from the 2010s. There's also the obvious fact that older stories are much more ingrained in people's minds than newer stories, and since they have longetivity on their side, they usually take priority. And since older stories also feature a more simpler version of character's mythos, they're much easier to take cues from.

To sum up, sit down.

thanks for this detailed analysis...nostalgia plays a big role...nostalgia takes time as you said

Yeah there's definitely ample evidence that mcu has drawn ideas from post-millenium comic runs as well as classic comics, seems silly to try to deny that.   Which is as it should be- why wouldn't they draw on the incredible wealth of ideas the comics have to offer?   I'm less of a fan of the comics trying to incorporate mcu ideas/characters but it seems in keeping with modern comics' propensity for constantly "reinventing" characters and i don't have any "skin in the game" at this point anyhow, so *shrugs*

1 hour ago, mako said:

Name calling!?! Seriously? You call ME ignorant, yet you seem determined to take this back to preschool.

Whatever, dude. Good rule of thumb though, when the opposition breaks out the insults, its a good sign they've lost the argument and know it. Don't take it to hard.

How did he lose the argument? You proposed a dumb idea about movies taking "90 percent" of their inspiration from old story lines and he proved you wrong. But you decided to ignore all that and quote only the part you knew how to respond to. So please, explain to me how he lost the argument.  

1 hour ago, mako said:

Name calling!?! Seriously? You call ME ignorant, yet you seem determined to take this back to preschool.

Whatever, dude. Good rule of thumb though, when the opposition breaks out the insults, its a good sign they've lost the argument and know it. Don't take it to hard.

I didn't read any of that as name calling. You aggressively espouse ignorance on these boards pretty much every day, and then pretend you're being persecuted for having different opinions whenever anyone calls you on it. We all know you hate Marvel comics you don't read, hate Marvel movies because one of them took a direction you didn't like, and have a generally grumpy take on the company that makes toys as merchandise for these properties. You remind everyone constantly. Your presence here therefore has a tendency to come across as extremely bad faith, because anyone who hated all these things as much as you do wouldn't spend so much time on a fan messageboard unless he or she was trying to rain on everyone else's parade.

5 hours ago, mako said:

Name calling!?! Seriously? You call ME ignorant, yet you seem determined to take this back to preschool.

I love that you claim I lost the argument when I clearly laid out all the points that disprove your point of view, and you didn't even try to counter any of them.

All the "insults" and "name-calling" I did was just call you ignorant once. And that's because it's simply and objectively what you are. I didn't even bring out any actual insulting words, but sure, whatever you say.