Marvel Legends 6" Fantastic Four Wave Mr. Fantastic Figure Video Review And Images

JayC

On 12/15/2019 at 10:45 PM, Gigantor said:

A properly scaled classic Byrne Thing & Torch with black lines would be great for a JB based FF boxset. When he became Hulk sized is beyond me.

FF.jpg

the Thing figure we got is scaled well enough and is shorter than Thor which is fine with me. 

3 hours ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

the Thing figure we got is scaled well enough and is shorter than Thor which is fine with me. 

Glad you're fine with him as is, I know that I'm not alone in wanting a more classic comic based accurate scaled non Giant sized Thing. As you can see from the pics I've posted, there was a time when great artists like Perez & Byrne & many others actually drew him according to his listed hgt of 6ft 500lbs.  I think the best option would be for an 80th anniv deluxe classic Thing ala the big 3 of the Avengers. He could come with 2 alternate heads, 1 stoic looking & the other depicting his patented "It's clobberin time" yelling look. 3 sets of hands ( Fists/grabbing hands/relaxed hands) 

Thing was depicted by Byrne during his run on the title as being 5'10, though 6ft is more accurate per his entry in the official Marvel universe character entries.  He's not a mutant, so the "he's evolved or mutated over the yrs" card don't work. Don't see the other 3 members "evolving/mutating. Just a case of artists taking artistic license with the characters hgt & editors allowing it. So now newer readers of the FF comics think he's always been Hulk sized.

• Marital Status: Single.
  • Known Relatives: Daniel Grimm, Elsie Grimm (parents, deceased), Daniel Jacob Grimm (brother, deceased), Jacob “Jake” Grimm (uncle), Alyce Grimm (aunt, deceased), Petunia “Penny” Grimm (aunt), Franklin Benjamin Grimm (godson).
  • Group Affiliation: Fantastic Four ; also an Avengers reservist. Former member of the Avengers West Coast, Thunderiders, UCWF and Yancy Street Gang.
  • Base Of Operations: Baxter Building, NYC ; Four Freedom Plaza, NYC.
  • Height: 6’ Weight: 500lbs.
  • Eyes: Blue Hair: None

FF spec sheet.jpg

37 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

Glad you're fine with him as is, I know that I'm not alone in wanting a more classic comic based accurate scaled non Giant sized Thing. As you can see from the pics I've posted, there was a time when great artists like Perez & Byrne & many others actually drew him according to his listed hgt of 6ft 500lbs.  I think the best option would be for an 80th anniv deluxe classic Thing ala the big 3 of the Avengers. He could come with 2 alternate heads, 1 stoic looking & the other depicting his patented "It's clobberin time" yelling look. 3 sets of hands ( Fists/grabbing hands/relaxed hands) 

Thing was depicted by Byrne during his run on the title as being 5'10, though 6ft is more accurate per his entry in the official Marvel universe character entries.  He's not a mutant, so the "he's evolved or mutated over the yrs" card don't work. Don't see the other 3 members "evolving/mutating. Just a case of artists taking artistic license with the characters hgt & editors allowing it. So now newer readers of the FF comics think he's always been Hulk sized.

• Marital Status: Single.
  • Known Relatives: Daniel Grimm, Elsie Grimm (parents, deceased), Daniel Jacob Grimm (brother, deceased), Jacob “Jake” Grimm (uncle), Alyce Grimm (aunt, deceased), Petunia “Penny” Grimm (aunt), Franklin Benjamin Grimm (godson).
  • Group Affiliation: Fantastic Four ; also an Avengers reservist. Former member of the Avengers West Coast, Thunderiders, UCWF and Yancy Street Gang.
  • Base Of Operations: Baxter Building, NYC ; Four Freedom Plaza, NYC.
  • Height: 6’ Weight: 500lbs.
  • Eyes: Blue Hair: None

FF spec sheet.jpg

When someone says they are fine with it, it means they are fine with it. It doesn't mean they wouldn't request or purchase something more accurate.

Yes, I knowwww he is supposed to be short. I know his heights and weights. Hulk, Rhino, Juggernaut, Abomination and Thing are just some of the various characters to be drawn in various scales. Additionally. if you take your "thing" and spread and bend his legs as shown in your photo, then take  the other members of the FF and squeeze there legs together at attention as shown in the picture you will have a "close" (approximate, not precise) interpretation. If you are looking for a figure in better scale I would say get this one.  I would love Hasbro to produce a smaller Thing, but honestly, it will be a while before you see a new buck for thing.

Image result for marvel legends thing toybiz

1 hour ago, Gigantor said:

And don't get me wrong, I have figures I am particular about scaling on as well. Thor to me came out an accurate height in reference to drawings  and handbook "measurements". 

We have so many figures that are technically out of scale. Hulk is about a half inch to 1 inch too tall depending on how you like him. Ant-man should have been on Bucky-Cap or Sun-Fire mold. Hawkeye should be on Grim-reaper mold, Magneto should be on the Red Gaudian mold, Cyclops/havoc should be on the Grim Reaper mold. Unfortunately not everything is in scale, but it is relative and for $20.00 they are the best line I've handled. 

5 hours ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

And don't get me wrong, I have figures I am particular about scaling on as well. Thor to me came out an accurate height in reference to drawings  and handbook "measurements". 

We have so many figures that are technically out of scale. Hulk is about a half inch to 1 inch too tall depending on how you like him. Ant-man should have been on Bucky-Cap or Sun-Fire mold. Hawkeye should be on Grim-reaper mold, Magneto should be on the Red Gaudian mold, Cyclops/havoc should be on the Grim Reaper mold. Unfortunately not everything is in scale, but it is relative and for $20.00 they are the best line I've handled. 

Totally agree. I'm just a scale Nazi & hate when artists take artistic liberties with the hgts of certain characters. You don't see them messing with Wolvy's listed 5'3 hgt & making him as tall as Cap, but hey, let's make the Hulk a 9 footer now & Ben a 7 footer.  As you stated, Hasbro made the Hulk an inch & 1/2 too tall as well as Ben, that's really why Sasquatch at 8 1/4 seems "small" in comparison. Had the Hulk been exactly 7 1/4' tall & Ben 6 1/4 inch tall, Sasquatch woulda looked more imposing next to them. Though, I do wish Hasbro had added an extra 1/2 inch to Sasquatch so he stood at an even 9' tall.

Definitely not my favorite version of Reed and not at all a fan of that beard. The head itself even looks like a new sculpt which is interesting. I also hate those 'spirit' fingers he has. Like others have said, the long stretched out bendy arms wouldve been a much better addition. I never got the WG version of him as i never saw him in my stores so im kind of bummed i may have to grab this version to get him (and to complete super skrull). 😞 

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:43 AM, Gigantor said:

FF spec sheet.jpg

I like this file sheet from Bryne, but he's wrong on Reed's age. Reed's gotta be in his early 50s at this time. And he not only went to college with Ben, but served in the military as well, so the Thing is also in his early 50s. Why he would have him as 5 years younger than Reed, I don't know. That of course includes Doom; most likely Dr Strange and Professor X are also in that range though Stephen may be a tad older.

Nothing to do with Marvel Legends but I just had to get that in there. And its possible these are just rough notes for John Bryne; maybe he doesn't think this way today, and besides its not "canon" till some publishing editor at Marvel says so....

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:58 AM, EUPHORICVIKING said:

We have so many figures that are technically out of scale. Hulk is about a half inch to 1 inch too tall depending on how you like him... 

Yeah they did great with articulation on both Toybiz and Hasbro Beast figures, but man is he oversized....

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:18 AM, bashpics99 said:

I tend to agree.  at least it seems like the black-blue color scheme pretty much matches the blue-black on the classic uniforms so they can still look somewhat cohesive if you mix and match... as much as i like the dark blue/white "negative" costumes from the byrne era i feel like those would really clash with the classic colors if you'd tried to mix the members together.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:39 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

I think they are for extracurricular activities with Sue *tickle fingers*

spacer.png

This is why the rest of you don't get super powers.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:32 AM, Gigantor said:

"... But when it comes to the FF, the Walgreens classic versions are good enough for me. Only other versions of the FF I would get are the Byrne era versions that were also in the 94'-95'  toon.  I don't need 33 different versions of the same character.."

I have it on good authority (Uatu came to me in a dream) that by 2020 we will see the FF "negative" outfits, with Blastarr, Mole Man and an Annihilus BAF in the wave. That same year we will get an FF 3pack: Sub-Mariner in his 70s outfit, translucent Invisible Woman and an all red Torch (no stupid yellow head or flame pompadour), probably on the Sunfire buck, with additional flame effects.

I Have Spoken.

2 hours ago, Atlantis said:

I have it on good authority (Uatu came to me in a dream) that by 2020 we will see the FF "negative" outfits, with Blastarr, Mole Man and an Annihilus BAF in the wave. That same year we will get an FF 3pack: Sub-Mariner in his 70s outfit, translucent Invisible Woman and an all red Torch (no stupid yellow head or flame pompadour), probably on the Sunfire buck, with additional flame effects.

I Have Spoken.

and by 2021 we will need a separate Detolf only for Hasbro ML FF.

I Have Spoken hahaha

3 hours ago, Bluecomet said:

I prefer the long arms rather than fingers, does not make sense at all....they did manage to redeem via the long hands in the super skrull...they should have alternate arms with alternate hands...i guess to much to ask from marvel legends.

Ahhhh, but that's just it- its NOT too much to ask for! This very wave proves that: Dr. Doom and She-Hulk are right off the comic book page. And Hasbro has been killing it with the X-Men waves; quality work, and virtually all as comic-accurate as they can be (although I'm sure a lot of people would take issue with Cannonball). We KNOW they can do great things; we also know they can fumble hard (Cap Falcon with NO WINGS comes to mind). No reason for them not to recolor one of the original Mr Fantastic extended arms, or even the legs, for the "modern" suit.

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

Ahhhh, but that's just it- its NOT too much to ask for! This very wave proves that: Dr. Doom and She-Hulk are right off the comic book page. And Hasbro has been killing it with the X-Men waves; quality work, and virtually all as comic-accurate as they can be (although I'm sure a lot of people would take issue with Cannonball). We KNOW they can do great things; we also know they can fumble hard (Cap Falcon with NO WINGS comes to mind). No reason for them not to recolor one of the original Mr Fantastic extended arms, or even the legs, for the "modern" suit.

Everything sadly comes down to cost (we know there is a paint budget for example). Even redecoing the arms would cost a bit

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:08 PM, mako said:

And what part of the FF wave would you be willing to lose to get these repainted arms?

People keep forgetting, EVERYTHING that goes into that package, including the package itself, is subtracted from a finite budget. Every ounce of plastic, every POA, every paint app., accessory, and BAF piece comes out of the kitty. Sometimes to get one figure great, you have to, as my Dad was always fond of saying: "Rob Peter to pay Paul." *

* Yeah, I know, it sounded better coming from Patrick Duffy on Dallas.

That may sound plausible on some levels, but I reject the notion in this case. The same "kitty" that allows for these silly salad scooper hands, would also allow a stretching arm, or really anything else more readily identifiable as belonging to Mr. Fantastic. They dropped the ball here and they didn't have to.

71CZ3XkhoyL__SL1200_.jpg

7 minutes ago, mako said:

What ever you say. I wouldn't know, as I've never had to pay to have an action figure made, but I assume a pair of hands would be cheaper to produce than a pair of bendy arms.

Then again, Hasbro's magic toy-elves (no doubt moonlighting during Santa's off-months) make all this stuff for free, so money is no issue.

Also, the bendy arms weren't new having come from the Ronin wave, so Hasbro were trying to give us something new and different, than just a new head.

• 6 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:38 AM, EUPHORICVIKING said:

Honestly if you have the Walgreens Classic versions you don't need these figures. I don't spend money just to spend money. I'm getting Doom x3 but I have no need or use for any of the other figures. I have super skrulls from toybiz which I personally think are superior. 

I still want my translucent Invisible Woman!!