Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tarot

Is Nostalgia Blindness a Problem?

Recommended Posts

Before we begin this discussion I would just to say I love the classic and 9/10 times I would put that version of the character On my shelf. BUT does anyone think that we as a collecting community have become extremely Nostalgia Blind? we all want new characters and other version of characters that were in our childhood. So when Hasbro releases a new figure of either a new Character or a new (alot of the times modern) costume of a character, while we do see the majority of the community delighted by the figure (because they are wardrobe builders), the vocal minority almost always comes out with "oh they should have done this version instead".

And I'm not really saying that's a bad thing (there are many recent figure I think should have been a different version like the Black suit storm could have been the FA storm with a new head). But I think most don't realize that many people didn't read comics when such and such were in the books. 

Take the X-men for example. We all know that many many fan only started reading the comics because of the 90's cartoon. That's the team they grew up on and the team they think about when they think of classic x-men. But if tell them they should include Psylocke, Archangel, Colossus etc in the team, they would tell you to F-off. (Which is their right.) There is also the people who after getting into the comic after the X-men movies, who gear toward the leather suited costumes or later the Astonishing X-men versions. 

Let use the F4 wave as another example. The F4 team (Thing and Human Torch were in the books) have been out of the comics for many years thanks to the Fox #$##. So when Marvel finally brought them back, they changed the costumes. Trying to jump on that hype train, Hasbro released figure based on that version to help boast the sales. But all I have seen from people since the announcement is "They should have done _________ version." I mean we just got the classic blue and black version, do we really need the Negative Zone versions or the Future Foundation version so soon. At least let Hasbro do the modern ones first to get new fan currently reading the book to buy the figure before they jump into the classic versions.

Last example (I promised) but when let use the recent Crimson Dynamo announcement and the Living laser as example. I love the LL figure and is one of the best figures from that wave. (not a dig at anyone in particular) but some people complained that it wasn't the classic version. IMO it wasn't really that nice of a design. (that's probably the best example of Nostalgia Blindness I could think of). Crimson Dynamo looks to be a great figure and while it does use some older part (this is Hasbro people), it's apparently not the one people asked for. However, if you look at the images some people share, alot of them aren't even the same design.

Well, what do you guy think? have we become too Nostalgia Blind when it comes to figure we want? Should we start embracing the new designs and look at them for what they are, nice designs? Should we give Hasbro a chance and try and bring in newer collectors by using newer designs? Or should I just be quiet and leave people rant about not getting such and such a design? (I still want Classic Dr. Strange hasbro!!) 

Let have a fun and fair discussion about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tarot said:

Before we begin this discussion I would just to say I love the classic and 9/10 times I would put that version of the character On my shelf. BUT does anyone think that we as a collecting community have become extremely Nostalgia Blind? we all want new characters and other version of characters that were in our childhood. So when Hasbro releases a new figure of either a new Character or a new (alot of the times modern) costume of a character, while we do see the majority of the community delighted by the figure (because they are wardrobe builders), the vocal minority almost always comes out with "oh they should have done this version instead".

And I'm not really saying that's a bad thing (there are many recent figure I think should have been a different version like the Black suit storm could have been the FA storm with a new head). But I think most don't realize that many people didn't read comics when such and such were in the books. 

Take the X-men for example. We all know that many many fan only started reading the comics because of the 90's cartoon. That's the team they grew up on and the team they think about when they think of classic x-men. But if tell them they should include Psylocke, Archangel, Colossus etc in the team, they would tell you to F-off. (Which is their right.) There is also the people who after getting into the comic after the X-men movies, who gear toward the leather suited costumes or later the Astonishing X-men versions. 

Let use the F4 wave as another example. The F4 team (Thing and Human Torch were in the books) have been out of the comics for many years thanks to the Fox #$##. So when Marvel finally brought them back, they changed the costumes. Trying to jump on that hype train, Hasbro released figure based on that version to help boast the sales. But all I have seen from people since the announcement is "They should have done _________ version." I mean we just got the classic blue and black version, do we really need the Negative Zone versions or the Future Foundation version so soon. At least let Hasbro do the modern ones first to get new fan currently reading the book to buy the figure before they jump into the classic versions.

Last example (I promised) but when let use the recent Crimson Dynamo announcement and the Living laser as example. I love the LL figure and is one of the best figures from that wave. (not a dig at anyone in particular) but some people complained that it wasn't the classic version. IMO it wasn't really that nice of a design. (that's probably the best example of Nostalgia Blindness I could think of). Crimson Dynamo looks to be a great figure and while it does use some older part (this is Hasbro people), it's apparently not the one people asked for. However, if you look at the images some people share, alot of them aren't even the same design.

Well, what do you guy think? have we become too Nostalgia Blind when it comes to figure we want? Should we start embracing the new designs and look at them for what they are, nice designs? Should we give Hasbro a chance and try and bring in newer collectors by using newer designs? Or should I just be quiet and leave people rant about not getting such and such a design? (I still want Classic Dr. Strange hasbro!!) 

Let have a fun and fair discussion about this.

The problem with this is that FF has been gone for a significant amount of time and when it comes to comic book toys, people buy what they recognize. These new costumes are nothing recognizable. Additionally they aren't even that different(basically inverted colors). Future Foundation is a look I wouldn't even consider recognizable, but at least it has a nice composition. Also a lot of this is subjective. I know a lot of older readers who don't appreciate the new books like the old books, subjectively.

Also, Hasbro is coming out with so many waves, that collectors can and a lot of times like to cherry pick what in our minds is a perfect collection(different for everyone). And to your point, do we really need this new version of FF? and in most of our minds, we are saying no. it's an extra $80.00 we can save or spend else where.  Me for example. I love the new Doom they released. I may just build a doombot army instead of collecting the FF. I personally feel that classic costumes draw in more collectors, it bring in the old reader and the young child that he reads his old comics to. We often get modern costumes before the classic looks, which never end up in my main displays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure some of us (myself included) have Nostalgia Blindness, but i don't really see it as a problem unless you're constantly driven to post negative tirades online to the point where its bringing down the overall tone of the thread, etc.   "Classic" fans can register displeasure with a certain costume without suggesting that people who like the modern looks are idiots or doing the whole "NOBODY asked for this!!!!" bit.  But this being the internet, people who post tend to come from one extreme or the other - either hating a look or super gung-ho about it.  People who think a look is "okay" or adequate are less likely to compose a post about it, in my experience. But i actually think most marvelous news posters are pretty reasonable about addressing the pros and cons of different figures.

tbh its mainly a problem when people really want a BAF but aren't enthusiastic about the wave offerings, or when there's a perception that when a figure is made in a modern look that it could be a long wait before a classic version gets made (e.g. hercules) and people naturally get impatient about that. otherwise, with the huge number of figures hasbro is making, its easy enough to just skip the ones you don't like and there are still plenty that you will want, regardless of what parameters you self-impose on collecting.

Worth adding to the discussion is that often the classic looks went on for quite a long stretch in comic terms.  Remember what a big deal it was when Spidey changed costumes in Secret Wars?  And how long did the FF have pretty much their classic costumes before byrne made the negative zone versions?  Now it seems like every new creative team gets to revamp the costume, and often by the time the figure comes out, the costume they're wearing has been replaced by something newer in the costumes or has reverted to a classic look (e.g., Spider-Woman).

It'll be interesting to see how people react to the increasing number of video-game driven costume choices.  Seems like the Spidey PS 4 figure sold well enough,  i wonder how the two from the upcoming demogoblin wave will do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

 

It'll be interesting to see how people react to the increasing number of video-game driven costume choices.  Seems like the Spidey PS 4 figure sold well enough,  i wonder how the two from the upcoming demogoblin wave will do.

 

well the MK IV armor is comic based (with a Game design update) so that will sell more then the Velocity (IMO).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are going to like what they like, and I have no interest in telling them what that should be, but I definitely think a lot of people operate from a position of blind nostalgia. People's active interest in comics comes and goes, and people are naturally going to be drawn to the familiar. Personally, I grew up with late 80s and early 90s comics, and I still view those comics nostalgiacally, but I've always caught back up and filled in the gaps after taking a break from comics, and for some reason nostalgia just isn't as powerful for me as aesthetics when it comes to my favourite costumes.

Personally, I think the Apocalypse-wave Magneto is the best version we have as a toy so far, and same with Jubilee-wave Cyclops. I was really excited to get those looks in toy form. As nostalgiac as they may be for me, I think a lot of early (and even classic) costumes look a little silly, or at least dated. Wolverine's a great example. His classic tiger stripe and brown costumes are certainly the most iconic and nostalgiac, and I look back fondly at the comics during which he wore them, but I think the boots that mimic his cowl and the underwear-over-spandex thing that used to be so common are both really, really silly, and I much prefer the Astonishing and Dawn of X costumes that update those classic looks, keeping what worked and improving on the rest.

By contrast, Mystique has never had a look that grabbed me other than her classic look, Phoenix is my favourite look for Jean, Outback Psylocke is my go-to, etc. I think a lot of classic looks are the best. I just don't think they're the best categorically. That's just me. I like that Hasbro keeps giving us a healthy mix of classic and modern costumes, to appeal to the broadest range of fans. People just need to accept that not every figure was made specifically to cater to them, and try to be okay with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

tbh its mainly a problem when people really want a BAF but aren't enthusiastic about the wave offerings, or when there's a perception that when a figure is made in a modern look that it could be a long wait before a classic version gets made (e.g. hercules) and people naturally get impatient about that. otherwise, with the huge number of figures hasbro is making, its easy enough to just skip the ones you don't like and there are still plenty that you will want, regardless of what parameters you self-impose on collecting.

These are excellent points, and definitely understandable. Re-reading my post just now, I also want to be clear that I don't think there's anything wrong with a toy collector being fueled primarily by nostalgia. It just isn't how I operate, generally speaking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed. The "No One asked for this" argument should be changed to "I, as an individual, didn't ask for this. You should make the figure I want that I made on this list, on this napkin, with this crayon, that I made when I was ten." LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there are a ton that are "blinded" by nostalgia.  Definitely a few, and they are often vocal.  There does seem (particularly here at this site though I don't have much of a comparison since I don't really hang out at others) a preponderance of collectors of ML that are of a certain age that most strongly identifies with the mid-late 80's through mid-90's or so as "their" era of Marvel (Basically the Jim Shooter - Tom Defalco era), so they naturally gravitate towards designs that evoke that time period.

Personally I like having both classic and modern takes on many of the characters, and sometimes my preference really just boils down to whichever I think looks better.  Classic isn't ALWAYS best.  For example while I can recognize demand for a Classic Comic Falcon I'd vastly prefer a more modern take on Comic Falcon because I think his classic look is kinda dorky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think  the problem with doing Modern looks, it the fact hat there is no way to know how the market will react or how long they last. Look at the Modern Symbiote Spidey. it gets a figure despite being (so far) a one-off design. Also it some/many cases by the time the figure is released, it isn't their modern look anymore. At least with older costumes you know whether they were great costumes or flash in the pans and you won't make a figure on something horrible like this 

cd7969002fdb14b8d9095fe7a5428478--avenge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, leokearon said:

I think  the problem with doing Modern looks, it the fact hat there is no way to know how the market will react or how long they last. Look at the Modern Symbiote Spidey. it gets a figure despite being (so far) a one-off design. Also it some/many cases by the time the figure is released, it isn't their modern look anymore. At least with older costumes you know whether they were great costumes or flash in the pans and you won't make a figure on something horrible like this 

cd7969002fdb14b8d9095fe7a5428478--avenge

You're right that this can be a problem, but I think it's mostly seen with characters like Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Iron Man, who are staple "core characters" and thus seen in a lot of assortments.  So from that perspective it's not so bad, as they have plenty of new designs (however temporary) to fill out that retailer-demanded core character slot with, and if you have a particular version you like they'll probably get around to it eventually if they haven't already. 

After all, it's not like they could or should just redo basic/classic Spider-Man in every wave, or that they've never given us multiple versions of his classic costume (or costumes if you include the OG symbiote/black costume).  Every few years it seems like they revisit the classic costumes too, to keep them in rotation. 

We might have a recent example with a "flash in the pan" Magneto costume, but at the same time I really dug that black/red getup for him (vastly preferred it to the white sleeveless look, even if that one seems to have "stuck around" more...and to be clear I'd be fine with getting that one too).  And we got a great new updated classic version shortly after.  I think Hasbro does a fairly good job of serving their audience, both those who prefer more classic stuff and those that want more modern fare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bizarrely, comics are the one medium I don't feel I have a nostalgic blindness for. I got into comics largely with the '90s X-Men and I collected all the mutant books and old ToyBiz X-Men toys for years. But now, I don't feel any longing for those stories or those versions of the X-Men. I tried re-reading some of those comics a couple years ago and I hated them. My X-Men sweet spot is the mid- to late-70s long before I ever started reading comics. In fact, my favorite Marvel comics in general tend to be from the '70s before I was even born. 

Today I have zero interest in the Jim Lee X-Men designs or figures based on them, even though that was the look when I first met the characters. I would much prefer the "classic" looks from Giant-Size X-Men instead. But then again, I don't even care about the X-Men that much at all anymore. Give me the '90s New Warriors figures instead (which I wasn't reading at the time)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what the core problem is is anger management. I mean, most of us are being really civil and understanding. "I may not like this version, but I'm happy to get this other one!" seems to be the general feeling, or "I'm not getting it, but am happy someone is". We're getting so much that some feel it's a problem (for another post), but at the same time we GET TO CHOOSE and I think that's the best thing ever. 

Nostalgia blindness when buying is what's moving the market right now, we have the funds, we're buying. So much of the current content and products in the market right now are for us. Even places, game bars, comic coffee shops... it's not really a problem, I mean, what a time to be alive! 

Nostalgia blindness+anger issues is what turns the internet into an ugly place, hating just because it's not the version we wished it were and being offensive... it makes us seem like little children throwing tantrums. It's not really fueling conversation or debate when it's the same statement recycled over and over, it's not even an argument, just an opinion without a source. 

I wish I knew how some people KNOW how a story is gonna play out just by reading the synopsis for a new series. Or what makes certain movies the worst trash ever. I've asked, but am yet to get an answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think for the most part we are in a current state of Nostalgia Blindness and this really is seen through out many markets (Video Games, Toys, Shoes, virtually anything collectible), most of the people who are purchasing these products are extremely drawn to buying things soley because they have nostalgic value and literally at times nothing else, I don't blame these people, for instance people collecting a Jordan 1 shoes because its from the 80's over buying a nice new pair of Asics is all the rage, and it's only because one is old and one is new (the new shoe may be way better looking or more comfortable and cheaper, but it's not whats in right now, or what is going to necessarily bring that burst of euphoric joy from seeing something from your innocent child hood), movies as well right now why make a new IP when you can just do a re-make of something from the past, everyone already loves, its a bonfied money maker, so it's not just in the Action Figure toy Market. I'm sure we will reach a point where the consumers are tired of this wave of nostalgic product , but it's moving now since since as it turns out the kids from 80's - 90's now have disposable income and have been bombarded with Nostalgia driven products, hey and I'm cool with that. I get the action figure thing were say people want to have a look of a character that they relate with and is familiar, but yes yelling about not being recipient of your "personally relatable look" is a problem, Hasbro has been reaching out to everyone and providing us with so many looks that it's going to hopefully please every one.

I personally still read new comics and I have no attachment to any period of designs for characters (sure some I am more familiar with and like more) but I like what looks good and actually don't care what year the look came from, so I personally don't really understand the griping with Hasbro releasing a good look for the character regardless of age, infact at this current point I'd actually really love to see Hasbro give us some more recent looks for characters, who cares if they are flash in the pan, it's about getting a figure that looks great

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's definitely there.  But think of Moon Knight, Hercules, and Beta Ray Bill's most recent figures.  It's not that people don't want the classics, they do, some very vocally want them, but all three of these sold out of shelves just about everywhere.  I think other than Hercules I never saw more than one of the other two on the shelves.  

I guess in general, nostalgia blindness is there, but people need to remember how to have an open and cordial discussion about what they like and don't like.  The dialogue is the fun part, and people need to relax and just enjoy what they can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally speaking new costumes tend to suck. Classic costumes became classic for a reason.

New costumes tend to be of their era, The designs that become classic have a timeless air about them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, UsurperSmurf said:

Generally speaking new costumes tend to suck. Classic costumes became classic for a reason.

New costumes tend to be of their era, The designs that become classic have a timeless air about them.

 

Guess that depends on how you're defining "classic". Most of that "timelessness" comes from being visually available for a long time, or being the first one. Nonetheless, there are many classics that are goofy or dated, like a classic car. Old but gold, if you may. But far from timeless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

Guess that depends on how you're defining "classic". Most of that "timelessness" comes from being visually available for a long time, or being the first one. Nonetheless, there are many classics that are goofy or dated, like a classic car. Old but gold, if you may. But far from timeless.

Oh, come on. Nothing says "timeless" like headbands. 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Nostalgia Blindness meeeeeans.....I don't see Nostalgia? Or does it mean that this is all I see and nothing else? Lol.

If it's the latter, I would switch out "Blindness" and say instead that I'm primarily Nostalgia Focused. Primarily, but not exclusively, meaning that I will buy a figure of a character in a new outfit if it looks really cool. But, by and large, for me it's all mainly about Nostalgia, and why should that be seen as a problem? We love what we love.

Superheroes are cultural icons, so to me it makes the most sense that if we're talking about action-figures, then a character's most iconic look should take precedence. That's what's usually going to have the widest appeal. I know that a character's most iconic look may not necessarily be their oldest look, but that's also part of the fun in anticipating upcoming releases. Lastly, a character's most iconic look to someone also depends on the era one grew up or was reading comics in.  However, the beauty here is that Hasbro has done a really fantastic job lately in striking a balance between appeasing fans of all ages. Perfectly? No; I would have preferred a classic version of Living Laser, but hey, there's a classic Spymaster on the way. This is a great time to be a Marvel fan!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand some of the aversion to modern character looks, but I feel some of it is unwarranted and exaggerated.

For major characters, I think classic versions should take precedence. But once that figure is out of the way, I think the top priority should be for modern versions. Nowadays, characters are bound to change looks frequently, so I think Hasbro should bank on their pertinency and make figures based on new looks while they're still topical. I think the recent Fantastic Four wave is a good move on Hasbro's part. I can't see Hasbro making figures for this version of the Fantastic Four five years down the line when they're probably back to turquoise and black or giving red another shot. Other looks for the team like the inverted colors are more evergreen because of the nostalgia that comes with them, so Hasbro can make figures for it any given time. I think it's all about balancing topicality with nostalgia-influenced evergreenery.

For minor characters, I think it all comes down to aesthetics. Let's be honest, the Silver and Bronze Ages were pretty hard on most villains. I love the recent Living Laser figure because I think his look is unique and appealing... but I'd only get a retro Living Laser if it was the only version of the character available. This is more or less how I feel about the upcoming Spymaster figure. I'd rather have gotten a more modern version of Spymaster, maybe even the Sinclair Abbott version, but I'm still gonna get it. I don't feel as much aversion for classic Crimson Dynamo and I'd rather have a figure that represents Dimitri Bukharin, but I have to admit I find Gennady Gavrilov's armor to be much much more visually appealing.

I also think some characters have the advantage to have maintained a modern look for a long time, or to have something that can be considered "modern classic" (for example, while I think the Model 4 Armor is Iron Man's classic look, the Extremis Armor is his modern classic look). For instance, the Living Laser debuted his modern look in 2012 and it's still kicking (... even if it's due to him being reduced to cannon fodder or minor villain). Something similar happens with Ghost, whose poltergeist look is something I can't see Marvel ditching any time soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'm Nostalgia Blind when it comes to Hasbro using repaints or same pieces to make as much as possible new character/versions. If they give me a character that hits that Nostalgia spot, I will not care if it is crappy repaint or same arms, legs and torso over and over. I will be blind. I will also not want to see characters that don't hit the Nostalgia spot.

However, if I think about for example Fortnite line of figures, or figures of Mezco or Storm collectables, I will want the characters that are not linked to Nostalgia. My Nostalgia Blindness goes down.

So, I think yes, I'm Nostalgia Blind, it's easier for me to say I want that if there is some Nostalgia influence, but also Hasbro with their boring repaints and re-use are not helping to cure my blindness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

You're right that this can be a problem, but I think it's mostly seen with characters like Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Iron Man, who are staple "core characters" and thus seen in a lot of assortments.  So from that perspective it's not so bad, as they have plenty of new designs (however temporary) to fill out that retailer-demanded core character slot with, and if you have a particular version you like they'll probably get around to it eventually if they haven't already. 

After all, it's not like they could or should just redo basic/classic Spider-Man in every wave, or that they've never given us multiple versions of his classic costume (or costumes if you include the OG symbiote/black costume).  Every few years it seems like they revisit the classic costumes too, to keep them in rotation. 

We might have a recent example with a "flash in the pan" Magneto costume, but at the same time I really dug that black/red getup for him (vastly preferred it to the white sleeveless look, even if that one seems to have "stuck around" more...and to be clear I'd be fine with getting that one too).  And we got a great new updated classic version shortly after.  I think Hasbro does a fairly good job of serving their audience, both those who prefer more classic stuff and those that want more modern fare.

The last thing we need is the same looks being redone over and over again. Look at Transformers Generations, the same looking Optimus Prime. You know it's bad when you are looking forward to the likes of Six Gun and Brunt that Optimus and Megatron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, greenlucario said:

It's definitely there.  But think of Moon Knight, Hercules, and Beta Ray Bill's most recent figures.  It's not that people don't want the classics, they do, some very vocally want them, but all three of these sold out of shelves just about everywhere.  I think other than Hercules I never saw more than one of the other two on the shelves.  

But i would argue that these guys sold well because  fans of the more classic look didn't feel like waiting anywhere from a couple of years to forever for Hasbro to come out with a classic costume version.  We know with more well-known characters, hasbro likes to do a modern version, then follow up with a more classic version a year or two later (e.g., Magneto,  Doom, Taskmaster, Colossus) ...the FF actually seem like a glaring exception in this regard.  But I'm not sure Herc, MK or Bill are prominent enough characters to merit multiple figures in the span of a couple of years.  It helps that all 3 characters retain at least some elements of their classic costumes so they have some appeal to fans of both classic and modern, which is perhaps the best approach for characters that are only gonna get one shot at a figure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are in a unique time as Legends collectors as there has never been a time with so much variety and the chance to get more than one version of a character in such a short span. Hate the Moon Knight or Hercules Hasbro gave us these past few years? There is a great chance the version you love will get made. 

Not to long ago if a minor character made it into a Legends wave in a costume that you didn’t particularly care for that was all you were going to get. Now, due to fan request and Hasbro’s excellent fan service I feel that I can still get the more classic uniforms for both Moon Knight and Hercules before I know it.  We’ve seen it in a few examples where we all kind of shrug at a costume choice only to see the “correct” version released a few waves later. 

Personally, not a big fan of Moon Knights old man slip on shoes or the Craft Beer Guy Hercules we got but I picked up both to stand in until my preferred versions show up.  

I do prefer the looks of the characters I collect to invoke nostalgia for me but I’m not so hung up on it that I can’t expand my tastes and support the line with some looks I’m not so fond of

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2019 at 8:11 AM, bashpics99 said:

But i would argue that these guys sold well because  fans of the more classic look didn't feel like waiting anywhere from a couple of years to forever for Hasbro to come out with a classic costume version.  We know with more well-known characters, hasbro likes to do a modern version, then follow up with a more classic version a year or two later (e.g., Magneto,  Doom, Taskmaster, Colossus) ...the FF actually seem like a glaring exception in this regard.  But I'm not sure Herc, MK or Bill are prominent enough characters to merit multiple figures in the span of a couple of years.  It helps that all 3 characters retain at least some elements of their classic costumes so they have some appeal to fans of both classic and modern, which is perhaps the best approach for characters that are only gonna get one shot at a figure.

 

A valid point, but if history shows us anything, it's that Hasbro makes their way around to the first appearances or classics eventually, so I'd say even the greatest detractors of these looks had to like the overall figure enough, especially when only Herc came with a desirable BAF piece.  Most people that I've talked to seem to really enjoy all three, some even despite an initial reluctance to purchase these very modern looks.  And especially with Moon Knight's new Disney+ series on the horizon, I'd say that classic figure is a matter of when, not if.  As for Bill or Herc, I'll concede it may be awhile.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE