Black Panther's Wakanda Listed As A US Free-Trade Partner On USDA Website

JayC

So it appears you won't have to worry about any tariffs being imposed on products such as Vibranium you might purchase from Black Panther's kingdom of Wakanda. The fictional local that appears in Marvel comics was recently listed by the US Government on the USDA website as a US free-trade partner. The strange listing was first discovered by Francis Tseng who took a screen cap of it and posted it to his Twitter feed.

When asked by the Washington Post why Wakanda was being listed on the website, a USDA spokesman responded by saying that it had been put on their originally as a test file and was left up their by mistake when the site went live. The listing has since been removed. So I guess that Vibanium might cost you more after all???

27 minutes ago, mako said:

I should probably be amused, but somehow I just don't find a fictional foreign country mistakenly appearing on a government website to be that funny.

It's funny until you realize that the most powerful country's government doesn't take itself seriously enough. 

I giggled, but then felt annoyed. Those are the people in power, the ones earning huge amounts of money, and yet they don't take the time to review what they or their departments do before putting it out there. 

Worst part is that it's happening worldwide.

3 hours ago, leokearon said:

It is worrying for any fictitious country to appear on any governments lists. At least it isn't the worst fictitious country to mention

"I love Latveria, I get along very well with their beloved leader. He's a nice guy, and he thinks I'm a nice guy too. They're a strong nation with a strong leadership and they're big and powerful."

I don't know why but that was the first thing that popped in my head after reading your comment.

56 minutes ago, ADour said:

"I love Latveria, I get along very well with their beloved leader. He's a nice guy, and he thinks I'm a nice guy too. They're a strong nation with a strong leadership and they're big and powerful."

I don't know why but that was the first thing that popped in my head after reading your comment.

Same.

18 hours ago, ADour said:

And Latveria wasn't even the country I was thinking of (it's a non-Marvel country, so offensive it made a famous VA quit)