New New Mutant Movie Trailer Coming In January According To Director

JayC

For those still looking forward to the horror/comic book based New Mutants movie which was produced by 20th Century Fox before they were bought out by Disney, and has since seen multiple delays from it's original release of April 13, 2018, it looks like a new trailer for it will be released sometime next month. That at least is what the movie's director Josh Boone is telling folks when he was asked about it on Instagraam recently.

There was a trailer and poster released back in December 2017 for the movie which is the only real marketing push it has received since the project was initially announced.

The last we heard and we assume is still the case, the movie will now be released on April 3, 2020.

New-Mutants-Poster__scaled_600.jpg

I'm still excited about this movie, I love the idea it's "horror" and I've been on board since the beginning, I really am hoping it's going to be good and I strangely have high hopes, I'm glad it didn't get canned like alot of people thought. I really don't think it's going to be as awful as dark phoenix because that train wreck was never going to be anything but a train wreck, at least with new mutants we get a new concept and get to see some new characters portrayed on screen which is always fun I still think Anya Taylor Joy as magik is a solid casting as well as Blu hunt and Charlie Heaton as Dani and Sam

I always forget about this movie, I wonder if it will be somehow incorporated into mcu if there’s some critical and financial success. If you think this could be really good introduction for Mutants in the MCU, I mean it’s literally called NEW MUTANTS, of course I doubt it will happen, considering Disney exec did state they weren’t happy with the movie but who knows. 

• 2 weeks later...

20th Century Fox in association with Marvel Entertainment presents “The New Mutants,” an original horror thriller set in an isolated hospital where a group of young mutants is being held for psychiatric monitoring. When strange occurrences begin to take place, both their new mutant abilities and their friendships will be tested as they battle to try and make it out alive.

In Theaters April 3, 2020.

First off I must agree that Anya Taylor Joy and Maisie Williams cannot be more perfectly cast as Magik and Wolfsbane. I was initially excited about this movie but after the disaster that Dark Phoenix was I was almost glad this got shelved before Fox put a taste into our mouths that the MCU couldn't get out. I dunno how I feel about it still, I just hope Marvel had a hand in some of this to try to make sure to keep it on the rails. Theoretically this could be the first appearance of Mutants in the MCU if Marvel decides to weave these characters into the MCU proper. Ultimately, how much can you get from a trailer? I'm going to remain cautiously hopeful.

3 hours ago, mako said:

Maybe. I mean, I'll admit this new trailer is hands down an improvement over the first one. Maybe all those reshoots and edits they talked about actually did some good.

From my admittedly limited knowledge about such things, a bunch of reshoots and edits usually means "salvage"...or theyre trying to, as the song goes, recreate what had yet to be created.

In this case, lipstick on a pig...a good movie cant be recreated because it wasn't good to begin with. But hey! I don't wanna pee on their parade. Must think positive.

My expectations are pretty low so maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised.  I don't quite know what's going on with Cannonball as the trailer seems to point to him shooting energy out of his arms but whatever, at least Bobby, Rahne and Ilyana seem to have their comic book powersets.   Certainly it can't be worse than Fox slaughtering the Dark Phoenix  comic storyline (twice).  overall i like the cast . i am finding it eyeroll-inducing when people complain Bobby , Cecilia and Dani are too light-skinned.

There were reshoots planned (x). Due to the initial delays, it was rumored Fox was meddling too much with the film, but I think it was in part because of the shuffling caused by the Disney buy-out. It's not necessarily that the film was so bad they didn't want it out, it's just that nobody had really any idea where it was going to stand with the assimilation of the X-Men into Marvel Studios' catalogue.

Then when director Josh Boone recently promoted the movie on Instagram, a fan asked him if the film to be released by Disney was going to be the "OG version" to which Boone replied “I wouldn’t be promoting it here if it wasn’t" (x), prompting people to assume Disney rescued Boone's original cut from the clutches of Fox executives and whatnot.

People forget that it was reported all the way back in 2018 that initially Fox had Boone tone down the horror elements, and both parties agreed to turn the film into a young adult movie. However, after the success of It, Fox decided to double down on Boone's original vision: "At that point, Fox decided that instead of doing the three days of additional filming required to complete the YA movie that everyone had initially agreed to go make, the studio would change course and make a new version of the movie that was straight-up horror, which was what Boone and Lee originally wanted to do in the first place." (x)

So it isn't that Boone had a vision, and it was completely warped by Fox. As it currently stands, Boone had a vision, he reached a compromise with Fox to make something more tame, but then Fox decided to go with Boone's original vision. On paper, that sounds like a good thing. Whether Fox did good by backing down or they should have moderated Boone, we'll see this April.

I am actually excited for this movie, we are going to get some variety in superhero sub genre and we also get to see mutants before Marvel studios introduces them into Mcu, and no one  knows when it’s going to happen. Trailer looks good for the most part but then again F4stick also had terrific trailer but failed miserably so.... we can hope for the best. 

3 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

I am finding it eyeroll-inducing when people complain Bobby , Cecilia and Dani are too light-skinned.

I mean, whitewashing is definitely an all-too-prevalent issue in Hollywood, and the actors portraying Berto and Cecilia are wayyyyy lighter-skinned than the original characters. It's encouraging, at least, though, that they (and the actor portraying Dani) are people of colour, and not just white Americans playing dress up.

10 hours ago, mako said:

So, a superhero team comic book becomes a generic teeny-bopper haunted house flick? Wow.

Man, you really are just a professional sourpuss, aren't you? 🙂 This is an interesting take, whether you want to admit it or not. I have no idea whether or not it'll be any good, obviously, but how many horror super hero movies have there been? This is trying something new, even if it's a blending of two relatively over-exposed genres. Of note also, the original New Mutants comics were arguably not really super hero comics, at least primarily.

13 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

My expectations are pretty low so maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised.  I don't quite know what's going on with Cannonball as the trailer seems to point to him shooting energy out of his arms but whatever, at least Bobby, Rahne and Ilyana seem to have their comic book powersets.   Certainly it can't be worse than Fox slaughtering the Dark Phoenix  comic storyline (twice).  overall i like the cast . i am finding it eyeroll-inducing when people complain Bobby , Cecilia and Dani are too light-skinned.

From what I've seen on some of the effects of Cannonball it looks like his propulsion powers emanate from his hands. I think they were going for some kind of Iron Man propulsion thing. Probably to save money on the effect of changing his entire lower body to flames. Whether that means he can actually fire from them like a repulsor blasts remains to be seen. I hope not cuz that would pretty much change his entire power set. That wouldn't be all that surprising with Fox's history. Right Kitty Pride and your time traveling powers?

As for the light skinned actors, it's a typical complaint that's played over and over. At least they ARE people of color and at least they are reputable actors with legitimate acting skills. If anything I'd complain that Dani is too short and Bobby is too tall. But can we assume they made those concessions to make sure they got actors of the proper melanin into the proper roles? It's funny, the Dani Moonstar figure was actually much lighter than promo pics showed. I don't remember quite as many (or any) people complaining about that.

5 hours ago, monron999 said:

From what I've seen on some of the effects of Cannonball it looks like his propulsion powers emanate from his hands. I think they were going for some kind of Iron Man propulsion thing. Probably to save money on the effect of changing his entire lower body to flames. Whether that means he can actually fire from them like a repulsor blasts remains to be seen. I hope not cuz that would pretty much change his entire power set. That wouldn't be all that surprising with Fox's history. Right Kitty Pride and your time traveling powers?

As for the light skinned actors, it's a typical complaint that's played over and over. At least they ARE people of color and at least they are reputable actors with legitimate acting skills. If anything I'd complain that Dani is too short and Bobby is too tall. But can we assume they made those concessions to make sure they got actors of the proper melanin into the proper roles? It's funny, the Dani Moonstar figure was actually much lighter than promo pics showed. I don't remember quite as many (or any) people complaining about that.

Cannonball's depiction reminds of me of how his powers were originally planned to work.

So that's Disney's big promotional push, releasing a trailer? I notice the Fox name right up front but not a lot of Disney or Marvel. They don't seem to have much faith in it, or perhaps they just don't want to confuse the audience by letting anyone think this might be part of the MCU. Not much chance of that happening from the trailer.

9 minutes ago, ransomz said:

So that's Disney's big promotional push, releasing a trailer? I notice the Fox name right up front but not a lot of Disney or Marvel. They don't seem to have much faith in it, or perhaps they just don't want to confuse the audience by letting anyone think this might be part of the MCU. Not much chance of that happening from the trailer.

Well, Fox's name is front and center because the movie was made by Fox. It's like the Star Wars movies showing the Lucasfilms logo, not to mention the movie was made before the buy-out. The Marvel logo does appear 30 seconds in, and the movie's official description reads "20th Century Fox in association with Marvel Entertainment presents..." Marvel might want to make a distinction between New Mutants and the MCU, but that distinction already exists.

On 1/6/2020 at 8:41 PM, Benn said:

I mean, whitewashing is definitely an all-too-prevalent issue in Hollywood, and the actors portraying Berto and Cecilia are wayyyyy lighter-skinned than the original characters. It's encouraging, at least, though, that they (and the actor portraying Dani) are people of colour, and not just white Americans playing dress up.

This is very true, my wife likes to watch a lot of old B & W western shows and its pretty crazy seeing guys like Leonard Nimoy playing native americans.  (i also think of charlton heston playing a mexican in "touch of evil").   Heck, even that "native american" crying over pollution in the famous 70s psa spot was actually italian-american (although tbf i think he convinced himself he was native american, or at least was a bit method in his acting).  And of course more recently ScarJo got pilloried for portraying a (debatably) asian character, as did Emma Stone, so at least new mutants has gotten people of the correct ethnicity... i think its ok to take some poetic license as far as matching the skin tones in the comics, but it is strangely coincidental that it always seems to go in the 'lighter' direction, isn't it?

21 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

it is strangely coincidental that it always seems to go in the 'lighter' direction, isn't it?

It sure is, at least historically. I'm glad the MCU has bucked that trend a number of times, though, and I seem to remember one of the more recent Fantastic Four movies doing the same.