Jump to content
JayC

New New Mutant Movie Trailer Coming In January According To Director

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, ransomz said:

So that's Disney's big promotional push, releasing a trailer? I notice the Fox name right up front but not a lot of Disney or Marvel. They don't seem to have much faith in it, or perhaps they just don't want to confuse the audience by letting anyone think this might be part of the MCU. Not much chance of that happening from the trailer.

Well, Fox's name is front and center because the movie was made by Fox. It's like the Star Wars movies showing the Lucasfilms logo, not to mention the movie was made before the buy-out. The Marvel logo does appear 30 seconds in, and the movie's official description reads "20th Century Fox in association with Marvel Entertainment presents..." Marvel might want to make a distinction between New Mutants and the MCU, but that distinction already exists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2020 at 8:41 PM, Benn said:

I mean, whitewashing is definitely an all-too-prevalent issue in Hollywood, and the actors portraying Berto and Cecilia are wayyyyy lighter-skinned than the original characters. It's encouraging, at least, though, that they (and the actor portraying Dani) are people of colour, and not just white Americans playing dress up.

 

This is very true, my wife likes to watch a lot of old B & W western shows and its pretty crazy seeing guys like Leonard Nimoy playing native americans.  (i also think of charlton heston playing a mexican in "touch of evil").   Heck, even that "native american" crying over pollution in the famous 70s psa spot was actually italian-american (although tbf i think he convinced himself he was native american, or at least was a bit method in his acting).  And of course more recently ScarJo got pilloried for portraying a (debatably) asian character, as did Emma Stone, so at least new mutants has gotten people of the correct ethnicity... i think its ok to take some poetic license as far as matching the skin tones in the comics, but it is strangely coincidental that it always seems to go in the 'lighter' direction, isn't it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

it is strangely coincidental that it always seems to go in the 'lighter' direction, isn't it?

It sure is, at least historically. I'm glad the MCU has bucked that trend a number of times, though, and I seem to remember one of the more recent Fantastic Four movies doing the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 6:09 PM, bashpics99 said:

This is very true, my wife likes to watch a lot of old B & W western shows and its pretty crazy seeing guys like Leonard Nimoy playing native americans.  (i also think of charlton heston playing a mexican in "touch of evil").   Heck, even that "native american" crying over pollution in the famous 70s psa spot was actually italian-american (although tbf i think he convinced himself he was native american, or at least was a bit method in his acting).  And of course more recently ScarJo got pilloried for portraying a (debatably) asian character, as did Emma Stone, so at least new mutants has gotten people of the correct ethnicity... i think its ok to take some poetic license as far as matching the skin tones in the comics, but it is strangely coincidental that it always seems to go in the 'lighter' direction, isn't it?

 

Yeah, white-washing sucks. Like when they cast Sam Jackson as Nick Fury . . . wait, no. Okay, when they cast Candace Patton as Iris We . . . no. Maybe when they cast Wally West? No? Okay, when they cast Jimmy Olsen for Superg . . . crap! Alright, for sure when they did Valkyrie for the Big Thorbowski movies . . dang it!

Hmm, I guess white-washing isn't really that big a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mako said:

Yeah, white-washing sucks. Like when they cast Sam Jackson as Nick Fury . . . wait, no. Okay, when they cast Candace Patton as Iris We . . . no. Maybe when they cast Wally West? No? Okay, when they cast Jimmy Olsen for Superg . . . crap! Alright, for sure when they did Valkyrie for the Big Thorbowski movies . . dang it!

Hmm, I guess white-washing isn't really that big a thing.

meh.  when there's a shortage of white men and women in superhero movies/tv shows, let me know.  Even Black Panther managed to shoehorn in a competent Everett Ross (as opposed to his comic-relief comic book counterpart), although i guess having a white woman around all those black guys was a bridge too far for marvel studios.  

  However, i can understand that when someone's long-time favorite comic character has their ethnicity /gender/orientation changed, it can be annoying. 

To address your specific examples, i would say Jackson as Nick Fury isn't really a change due to the Ultimates (although  the less said about 616 Nick Fury Jr, the better, perhaps).  And Tessa Thompson was awesome as Val, despite not being a blond nordic type...although i wouldn't be averse to Sif returning to the franchise, either. Maybe we'll get a hispanic or asian female asgardian one of these days.   I washed my hands of the CW shows awhile ago, those characters are written so blandly it doesn't really matter what color actor portrays them, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now there are rumours going around that this will be part of the MCU (at least it would be better than reverse-HOM)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2020 at 3:38 PM, mako said:

Yeah, white-washing sucks. Like when they cast Sam Jackson as Nick Fury . . . wait, no. Okay, when they cast Candace Patton as Iris We . . . no. Maybe when they cast Wally West? No? Okay, when they cast Jimmy Olsen for Superg . . . crap! Alright, for sure when they did Valkyrie for the Big Thorbowski movies . . dang it!

Hmm, I guess white-washing isn't really that big a thing.

This is a ludicrous statement. Marvel and other contemporary producers taking some care to increase diversity by updating some of their minor characters doesn't diminish how prevalent white-washing has been throughout American history, and continues to be today. Disney, and a few other companies, have been reluctantly stepping up because social awareness has been increasing, making it diminishingly profitable to hire all-white casts. In other words, people calling Hollywood on its record is having an effect. Citing those rare examples as a means to deny the problem exists is--at best--disingenuous, and--at worst--terrifyingly stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2020 at 3:15 PM, bashpics99 said:

meh.  when there's a shortage of white men and women in superhero movies/tv shows, let me know. 

WOW! That is just the most racist thing I've heard in a LOOONG time. How do you even sleep with yourself at night?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2020 at 5:29 PM, mako said:

WOW! That is just the most racist thing I've heard in a LOOONG time. How do you even sleep with yourself at night?

Are you serious? This is an honest question. I genuinely can't tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

spacer.png

New Poster revealed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE