The Best Of 2019 - Marvel Legends Kingpin Build-A-Figure

JayC

With 2019 winding down we thought we would look back at the year and highlight some of the best action figures released during it. We start things off looking back at the Kingpin Build-A-Figure that Hasbro released very early in the year for their 6" Marvel Legends line. What were some of your favorite figures released this year?

Check out images for this figure below in our GALLERY. You can purchase the wave with this figure at BigBadToyStore.com.

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF01.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF02.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF03.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF04.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF05.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF06.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF07.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF08.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF09.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF10.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF11.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF12.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF13.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF14.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF15.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF16.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF17.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF18.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF19.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF20.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF21.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF22.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF23.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF24.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF25.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF26.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF27.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF28.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF29.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF30.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF31.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF32.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF33.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF34.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF35.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF36.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF37.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF38.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF39.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF40.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF41.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF42.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF43.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF44.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF45.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF46.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF47.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF48.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF49.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF50.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF51.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF52.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF53.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF54.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF55.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF56.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF57.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF58.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF59.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF60.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF61.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF62.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF63.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF64.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF65.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF66.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF67.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF68.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF69.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF70.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Kingpin-BAF71.jpg

Nice! I've still not managed to get all the parts to this figure yet, but, gettin there! As for my favourite figures of the year, I'm still basking in the glory of the 80th Anniversary Thor, Iron-Man and Hulk figures, as well as Colossus, Nightcrawler and Mystique, the Family Matters box set; Quicksilver is surprise fav of mine now too! It's been an insanely great year for classic characters!

Funny thing is I really liked this wave (and I know alot of people didn't care about the figures they wanted the BAF), and actually wanted the majority of the figures , especially Night Thrasher, Silver Sable, Red Goblin and Black Cat (didn't much care for new Symbiote Spidey or Six-arm), Puma was cool but not huge on it

The figure I wanted the least which probably surprised people was Kingpin, I didn't care for this BAF, big dudes in suits regardless of how iconic they are don't do it for me, I ended up trading all of the Kingpin parts actually the majority to our fellow friend Benn

This was the only wave I bought this yr to build Wilson Fisk, I sold off 3 of the figs & still have 3 left to sell. The Super Skrull wave is the 2nd wave that has a BAF  I must have but only care to buy Doom & Thing. I either wait till later next yr to see if the price point goes down on this wave or if the SS fig is selling for a reasonable price on ebay.  The Kingpin wave has my vote for suckiest wave of 2019 with the best BAF of 2019.

Awesome looking BAF but i couldn't bring myself to buy anybody other than Silver Sable and Puma (whom i bought loose).   I'll echo others in saying that i hope he gets re-released in a 2-pack with SPidey or DD at some point. 

Felt like a relatively lackluster year for BAFs imo, especially compared with 2018.  But that's  fine with me as i was trying to cut back on the amount of figures i buy, so not having that compulsion to complete a BAF made things a lot easier.  The only one i finished was M'Baku although i may still finish Wendigo at some point.

2020 isn't looking much better imo as while super-skrull is cool he's not so cool that i feel the need to buy an extra set of FF to build him, and really don't have much interest in Demogoblin or Crimson Dynamo, which again is OK by me as i will just continue cherry picking. No offense to folks excited to build these BAFs.

3 hours ago, Bluecomet said:

this wave is sold out and hard to find..be lucky to find any in amazon

Yeah i think in this case the great BAF really pushed sales of the wave.  you can get most of the loose figures  on ebay for fairly low prices, but good luck getting the Kingpin pieces. Silver Sable and Symbiote Spidey seem to be the only expensive ones ($16-18), the rest are like $14 or under, shipped. Kingpin himself seems to be selling for over $100.

Just goes to show, a BAF can really make or break a wave as far as retail sales go.  

On 12/28/2019 at 10:33 AM, bashpics99 said:

Awesome looking BAF but i couldn't bring myself to buy anybody other than Silver Sable and Puma (whom i bought loose).   I'll echo others in saying that i hope he gets re-released in a 2-pack with SPidey or DD at some point. 

Felt like a relatively lackluster year for BAFs imo, especially compared with 2018.  But that's  fine with me as i was trying to cut back on the amount of figures i buy, so not having that compulsion to complete a BAF made things a lot easier.  The only one i finished was M'Baku although i may still finish Wendigo at some point.

2020 isn't looking much better imo as while super-skrull is cool he's not so cool that i feel the need to buy an extra set of FF to build him, and really don't have much interest in Demogoblin or Crimson Dynamo, which again is OK by me as i will just continue cherry picking. No offense to folks excited to build these BAFs.

I'm holding out for a two pack release as well, but I want this white or maybe, MAYBE a pinstripe suit, if they go black suit like the Toy Biz variant, I'm dropping the hundred on eBay...

5 hours ago, AnotherPunkChef said:

The Monster Venom BAF hands fit on this figure too, looks great with the SK head

Definitely planning on that. Don't have the monster Venom BAF either yet.

The joy of relying mostly on what Walmart carries in store with the odd Amazon purchase. Although I have little hope for upcoming waves as the Walmart here still has full pegs of the Wendigo wave and Elektra/Cloak and Dagger from the SP//der wave.

22 minutes ago, BludChylde said:

Definitely planning on that. Don't have the monster Venom BAF either yet.

The joy of relying mostly on what Walmart carries in store with the odd Amazon purchase. Although I have little hope for upcoming waves as the Walmart here still has full pegs of the Wendigo wave and Elektra/Cloak and Dagger from the SP//der wave.

Heh, I can get you a good price on Lady Beetle

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 1:12 PM, Satam said:

I still think this guy is too tall, but he does look great on his own.

Yep, bout an inch & a half imo. Fisk is 6'7 450lbs , this guy is 8ft 800lbs. Habsro seems to always exaggerate the hgt scale on large characters & makes em bigger than they are except for the one they shoulda made larger...Sasquatch!!  So far, out of all the announced BAFs for 2020, only Super Skrull is a must for me but I'm gonna wait till summer to see if either her drops in price solo or the wave itself sells for less than $17 online. Strong Guy is a tempting BAF.

22 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Yep, bout an inch & a half imo. Fisk is 6'7 450lbs , this guy is 8ft 800lbs. Habsro seems to always exaggerate the hgt scale on large characters & makes em bigger than they are except for the one they shoulda made larger...Sasquatch!!  So far, out of all the announced BAFs for 2020, only Super Skrull is a must for me but I'm gonna wait till summer to see if either her drops in price solo or the wave itself sells for less than $17 online. Strong Guy is a tempting BAF.

Sometimes the only way to determine how tall a Legends figure should be is to compare it to others who are shorter, taller, and the same height on paper.  The Kingpin BAF should be taller than Venom, Hyperion, Sentry, etc, shorter than Omega Red, and about the same height as Cable and Thor, so about  7 1/4"

13 minutes ago, Satam said:

Sometimes the only way to determine how tall a Legends figure should be is to compare it to others who are shorter, taller, and the same height on paper.  The Kingpin BAF should be taller than Venom, Hyperion, Sentry, etc, shorter than Omega Red, and about the same height as Cable and Thor, so about  7 1/4"

I wish I was the guy in charge of scale accuracy for Hasbro, that must be an empty position there.

With so many Marvel Legends released in 2019, I decided to pick and chose what I will buy. I skipped on his wave, non of the figures got my attention nor desire to have them.

The BAF really looks cool, but I don't want to pay that high price of the second market. Hasbro will re-release this BAF, with different paint app in 2020. So I'll just practice my patience.

10 hours ago, SpiderS said:

While Kingpin is really good looking figure sculpt wise, it’s far from being good action figure, range of motion is subpar, they easily could have made it a least somewhat more articulated. 

Not sure how "easy" that would have been without wrecking how "good looking" the figure is.

Don't think I need my Kingpin to be able to do Yoga poses.

32 minutes ago, Jmacq1 said:

Not sure how "easy" that would have been without wrecking how "good looking" the figure is.

Don't think I need my Kingpin to be able to do Yoga poses.

Agree, some figures need to look better than move. That said, from what I've seen, Kingpin does at least what Kingpin should, and that's what makes it a great action figure.