Case vs Set... Which do you prefer?

JediJester

I had a store that I bought figures from, but they stopped selling whole cases so I switched to a different online retailer and they stopped selling cases too. I really preferred to order by the case and donate the extras or use them for customs or give them to some of the friends of my children. To me, selling a sealed case of figures is the only advantage that stores like BBTS, Megalopolis, and Dorksidetoys have left over Wal-Mart, Target, and Amazon. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Depends. These past few years there had been a few BAFs I really wanted but not a single character from the set. The biggest  wants being Kingpin and Monster Venom. 

In a instance like that I would pick up figures as I found them and eventually get the BAF completed. No hurry to get the complete set.

I did however preorder the entire wave of the recently announced Black Widow wave even though I kinda don’t like the BAF. The wave just spoke to me but the BAF was the only reason I hesitated..

so if the wave gets me excited I may order the case. Don’t think there is a right or wrong answer, really depends on which waves people prefer

On 1/5/2020 at 11:35 AM, greenlucario said:

Definitely the set.  I can't think of a time when the double packed figure was one I needed multiples of.

this is how I feel, I don't customize so I don't think I ever need a dupe but hey, also I don't want to pay the price for extra figures I don't need, but I try to find my figures in the wild (preferably in EBGames so I get the discount, but I will pre-order from them if I feel scared the wave may fly off the shelves)

I think the reason a lot of etailers are only doing sets anymore is cuz most people just buy the sets. The only way I would even entertain a case is if the double packed was an army builder, which I don't think has ever actually happened. Last two I can even remember were Nick Fury and Maddrox and those were both single packed. Usually the double packed is the main character (Spidey, Deadpool, Woverine) which most likely have many other versions out there and people tend to focus on one as their main one. Example: I have multiples of the first Deadpool that came in the first X-Men wave and multiples of the classic version in the Sasquatch wave, but after that, one of every other version will suffice. I also customize, but I'm a bit too cheap to pay full price for any figure that I'm gonna pull apart. I do 90 percent of my custom shopping in the bargain bin, which incidentally usually ends up containing most double packed figures anyway. Doc Ock was a major exception, though.