Marvel Movie Rumor Round-Up

JayC

This is a new segment were we attempt to round-up all the crazy MCU movie rumors that seem to hit the Internet on almost a daily basis. Granted many of these rumors have absolutely no basis in truth and seem to be passed around primarily for click-bait purposes. For most of these, unless stated otherwise we aren't really treating them as serious news, but we thought it might be fun to pass along in order to speculate about the "What Ifs" that might come from them. It should go without saying, but these rumors do lend themselves to potential SPOILERS.

For today we start off with rumors that began circulating this week in regards to Hulk and Namor. Supposedly Disney has "secretly" regained the distribution rights to the Hulk character, which at least previously was held by Universal. This agreement with Universal is the number one reason generally given for why Hulk has never been given a solo movie since actor Mark Ruffalo took over the role in the first Avengers movie from Edward Norton. As we understand it, It's not that Disney couldn't have made a Hulk solo movie, it's just that the profits would have to be split, which made it not worth doing. So if the rumors are true that Disney has now retained the full distribution rights for Hulk, conceivably we might see another solo Hulk movie, though likely not until at least phase 5. Phase 4 has already been mapped out so they wouldn't likely be able to squeeze in a solo Hulk movie there.

Now the big question I have, if Disney retained the distribution rights, why would it be a secret? Why wouldn't Disney come out and simply say yeah Hulk is home again? Seems kinda flimsy to us, but we will see. I do suspect we will see Ruffalo and the Hulk show up in the near future for the upcoming Disney+ She-Hulk series.

Namor's name was also included in these rumors, but I don't know why that is news. Namor I believe originally fell under the mutant category or at the very least Fantastic Four, both of which were previously held by Fox. Namor should be a character Disney has full control over after the recent Fox acquisition. While I don't see a Namor solo movie happening, I am sure Disney has plans for the first mutant. They already gave us a Namor tease in Avengers: Endgame when they talked about Earthquakes being reported in the oceans near Wakanda. In the comics T'Challa and Namor are not the best of friends, so a good bet is that Namor may show up as a headache for the Wakanda king in the next Black Panther movie.

Now for a rumor we are giving a little more credence to. There are reports that Bucky and Falcon might be heading to the Marvel made-up island of Madripoor sometime soon in their new Disney+ series. This rumor stems from set-photos that surfaced online featuring the flag of Madripoor.

Now Madripoor in it's own right isn't really that newsworthy, but in the comics it's sometimes been the home of a certain mutant who is the best at what he does. In the original Wolverine solo comic he stayed there for a time using the alias Patch. We aren't saying just because Bucky and Falcon are heading to Madripoor means they will run into Wolverine, but it would be kinda cool if they did, even if it was just a tease.

Let us know what you think about these rumors in the comments below and feel free to share other rumors you might have come across. Again we aren't giving a whole lot of validity to any of this, but it's always fun to speculate.

While Ruffalo has been doing the talk show circuit trying to drum up support for a standalone Hulk movie (count me in, before he gets too old), he's been throwing out hints that Marvel may not have been as hogtied as they previously led us to believe. Whether that means they have the full rights or shared rights, I'm sure 90 percent of it was probably a money issue, but you're right on target about it being sketchy either way. If that was the case, why would they feel the need to hide it. While the source I heard it from credits the Hulk news from a source that has consistently been right in the past, he also reported the same Namor news. This is troublesome because he had already previously reported news that Namor was set to appear in the next Black Panther movie which made it seem, at the time, that there was no conflict as to the status of Marvel having retained the rights for Namor from Fox. While I'm not certain what sources you get your news from on these subjects most of the sources I listen to all seem to get it from a single source because they all pretty much parrot the same thing. It almost seems to me sometimes that it's coming directly from Disney/Marvel just to shake the hornets nest and see what pops out. It's a great rumor and I do hope it is true, and while the reasoning why the Hulk arrangement is so secretive remains to be revealed, the Namor news is the most troubling. How do you go from probably to most likely being in Black Panther 2 to, "Breaking news, Marvel has just obtained the rights to Namor." They need to clarify. Did Marvel not have the rights before and the rumor mill was just tossing a block of cheese against the wall to see what would stick or did they just get the rights back and now have the green light to do what they want cuz, once again, all the sources were parroting the same info on both sides of the coin.

As far as the Madripoor rumor, I wouldn't be surprised at all, because I think Marvel is pushing to get the Mutants in the mix a lot sooner than they've been letting on. I think they've given us the impression that it isn't happening any time soon as to not create an expectation that they can't fulfill until they find the best way to do it, but I don't think for a second that the first Mutant showing up in the MCU is quite as far out as 2 to 3 years.

All they need to get a good Hulk movie off the ground is first a great story, and then figure out what villain to use. And place another hero or antagonist role like Namor in the mix. Throw in some cameos like Deadpool did and we have a winner. That's the way I would go. 

7 minutes ago, silverback said:

All they need to get a good Hulk movie off the ground is first a great story, and then figure out what villain to use.

There's no question in my mind that it should be The Leader.   To date, we have two standalone movies and so far only a tease that never panned out.  While Tim Blake Nelson did great with the part of Sam Sterns in The Incredible Hulk, there's also no question in my mind on who should play the green-skinned, super-powered version going forward: Jeffrey Combs.

1031_coombs.thumb.jpg.0e08f926c046c02aa175882e47d1a85d.jpg

1 hour ago, tarot said:

@monron999 it was univerisal who had the right to hulk and namor, not fox.

That may be the case, I knew Hulk was under Universal, but I honestly didn't know Namor was under them too. Many people reported that his rights came back with the Fantastic Four. I'm not disputing any of the rights issues. All I'm saying is that sources were talking Namor in Black Panther 2 and Fantastic Four many months ago and now it's suddnely big news that they can use him now. And no one comments on their previous rumors regarding his character. It's all so convoluted and what's worse is it's like all the sites all report the same things all at the same time to it's hard to sort out what could be true and what's most likely a crock.

Also, I'd like to throw Ed Helm into the mix of who would play a good Leader. It would be a total dick move.

Ed+Helms+Penguins+New+York+Screening+g6TfVH3Td-ml.jpg

As long as we're speculating about what-ifs, who here would line up for a team movie featuring Cumberbatch's Dr. Strange, Ruffalo's Hulk, the newly acquired Namor and Silver Surfer, and Thompson's Valkyrie?  We can call it "The New Defenders" or "Dr. Strange and The Secret Defenders" to help distance it from the Netflix thing.

Maybe Dakota Fanning would be willing to shave her head for a Moondragon role?

So many great possibilities here with Namor! F4! BP 2! 

I would also love to see Mark Ruffalo get his own Hulk solo film! so many new things to play with like Rick Jones! Doc Samson! Leader! Rulk! Maybe even have the movie open with Smart Hulk at one of those old shield bases (maybe something else now) and he is being like a doctor of some kind to abomination trying to help him and “cure” him like he did to himself and things could go sour from there. Possible A-bomb? Just all sorts of neat stuff to play with in the gamma world. 

10 hours ago, MonsterChris said:

There's no question in my mind that it should be The Leader.   To date, we have two standalone movies and so far only a tease that never panned out.  While Tim Blake Nelson did great with the part of Sam Sterns in The Incredible Hulk, there's also no question in my mind on who should play the green-skinned, super-powered version going forward: Jeffrey Combs.

1031_coombs.thumb.jpg.0e08f926c046c02aa175882e47d1a85d.jpg

Okay MonsterChris, not familiar with this guy but if you say so. He's got a clean enough forehead to start with.

1 hour ago, silverback said:

Okay MonsterChris, not familiar with this guy but if you say so. He's got a clean enough forehead to start with.

Oh man.  He's the best.  Check him out via Satam's suggestions above.  He's done so much great stuff and already played The Leader in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.  His creepy voice is a national treasure.

11 hours ago, MonsterChris said:

Oh man.  He's the best.  Check him out via Satam's suggestions above.  He's done so much great stuff and already played The Leader in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.  His creepy voice is a national treasure.

okay, thanks for the info, will do.

On 1/8/2020 at 9:54 AM, tarot said:

@monron999 it was univerisal who had the right to hulk and namor, not fox.

When did Universal have the rights to Namor? I dont ever remember hearing that. He is a mutant and a character with close ties to FF. Seems like he would have been a Fox character hook line and sinker.

• 2 weeks later...

Marvel Movie Rumor Round-Up - New Eternals Set Look And Christain Bale Playing Mephisto???

This is a new segment were we attempt to round-up all the crazy MCU movie rumors that seem to hit the Internet on almost a daily basis. Granted many of these rumors have absolutely no basis in truth and seem to be passed around primarily for click-bait purposes. For most of these, unless stated otherwise we aren't really treating them as serious news, but we thought it might be fun to pass along in order to speculate about the "What Ifs" that might come from them. It should go without saying, but these rumors do lend themselves to potential SPOILERS.

First we have less of a rumor and more of a sneak peek from the set of the upcoming Eternals movie. The images give us a very blurry look at Kit Harington as Dane Whitman and Gemma Chan as Sersi on the set of Eternals. In all honesty it's hard to believe anyone is willing to consider these to be news, but that's the Internet we live in today.

Next up we have several theories that have been gaining steam on the net every since word got out that actor Christian Bale was negotiating for a role in the upcoming Thor: Love And Thunder movie. One theory is based on him playing the character known as Mephisto, the MCU's resident devil. This rumor stems from fan art that serfaced via Bosslogic.

The second rumor has him playing a far less known cosmic being by the name of Gorr the God Butcher. This fan art comes via Reddit user ozycon. Yep that's all it really takes these day to get a rumor going on the Internet.

The final rumor is really not based on anything other than wishful thinking and some secret source reported by a site no one has ever really heard of before. They report he will play the character Beta Ray Bill. Like I said it really doesn't take much these days to get a rumor circulating on the net.

For a rumor that has been denied. Some were speculating the actor Jared Harris who showed up in the recent Morbius trailer might be playing the character Doctor Octopus. Variety caught up with him at the SAG awards to ask him, where he flat out denied it.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/morbius-doctor-octopus-spiderman-1203473505/?jwsource=cl

So let us know what you think about these rumors in the comments below and feel free to share other rumors you might have come across. Again we aren't giving a whole lot of validity to any of this, but it's always fun to speculate.

I don't see them casting Christian Bale to play Beta Ray Bill.  He's a fair too high profile to just play a side role.  If Marvel want him for multiple movies, then Mephisto makes the most sense (and that's what I would love to see him play).  Gorr is a good choice too if he's just signing on for the one movie. 

Sersi and Dane together would be consider news since it may hint that we could see their romance from the comics maybe in the movie. 

Personally I don't want to see Mephisto appear in the MCU, the God of Superheroes as done enough damage already in the comics

I love the idea of Bale as Mephisto and a presence in several movies rather than just a one-off project. Then again Bale is one of those actors that doesn't like to be tied down to a project that would limit his future options. Even his Batman run was only 3 movies over a few years where he could do a few projects in between, not like what seemed to be a constant commitment like RDJ had with appearing in multiple franchises, though he also found time to do some projects in between.

I also like the implications it would have on ML. Up till now it's been pretty much written off that Disney, and by extension Hasbro, would ever do a character who is essentially the devil so the chances of ever getting characters like Mephisto, Darkheart or Hellstrom was nil, at least as a standard release. If Disney/Marvel gap that bridge to the more mystical/occult characters, seeing as they play a major part in both Thor and Doctor Strange's worlds, the chances get higher and higher that we get those characters in plastic form. You better be sure if they are in a movie they will most definitely get an MCU figure, but even as pro-comic as I am I would be satisfied with ANY version of them.

Bale was great in American Psycho. I'm sure he'd be an interesting Mephisto and I'd like to see the character in the MCU. Initially I didn't think Disney would be gutsy enough to actually have a character based on the devil, but now I'm thinking it may not be that big a deal. Thanos murdered half the universe. Would a devil analog be so outrageous?

For today we start off with a rumor stating the Thunderbolts will be making their debut in the MCU sometime during the new Disney+ Falcon and Winter Solider series. This rumor seemingly stems from a guy named Daniel Richtman who actually tried to get people to pay in order to read this rumor through his Patreon account. That of course didn't stop all the gossip sites from circulating the news for free, including CBR which is where I first saw this rumor reported.

While I am not sure there is really any basis of truth in this rumor, it would certainly make for a logical place to introduce a team like this. In the comics, the Thunderbolts were a group of super villains lead by Baron Zemo who all pretended to be super heroes. Eventually most of the members actually did become heroes. We know for fact that Baron Zemo (Daniel Brühl) will be featured heavily in the new Disney+ series, as will USAgent (Wyatt Russell) who has also had ties to the Thunderbolts in the past. Even Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan) at one time in the comics lead the team. So if I was a betting man, I would say the odds are at least in favor of this rumor panning out sooner or later.

Our second rumor for you today is actually an image which showed up on social media. Supposedly this blurry image is Eternals promo art of Richard Madden as the character Ikaris. Things like this can easily be faked, so it's hard to know if this is legit or not. If it is fake, the real thing will probably look pretty similar.

1 hour ago, leokearon said:

No sure how the T-Bolts would work given there isn't enough MCU villains that are alive that could be set up to be heroes. While blurry the Ikarus image does have elements inspired by the comic costume

Zemo is in the series so he could use his connection with the government to create the tbolts. We do actually have a few characters. Ghost, bill foster, abomination, red hulk, punisher, blizzard etc. They have tons of character to use and introduce more

1 hour ago, tarot said:

Zemo is in the series so he could use his connection with the government to create the tbolts. We do actually have a few characters. Ghost, bill foster, abomination, red hulk, punisher, blizzard etc. They have tons of character to use and introduce more

Red Hulk doesn't exist yet and I doubt they will use any Netflix or AOS characters.  Also introducing characters just to create T-Bolts will be just as poorly done as in the cartoons