Marvel Movie Rumor Round-Up

JayC

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 6:45 PM, MonsterChris said:

Oh man.  He's the best.  Check him out via Satam's suggestions above.  He's done so much great stuff and already played The Leader in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.  His creepy voice is a national treasure.

He voiced the Question over at DC's Justice League Unlimited. Well done.

7 hours ago, leokearon said:

No sure how the T-Bolts would work given there isn't enough MCU villains that are alive that could be set up to be heroes. While blurry the Ikarus image does have elements inspired by the comic costume

I see this argument made so often, and I find it funny because it's such an exaggeration. Here's the current state of MCU villains:

Mandarin
Obadiah Stain
Abomination
Samuel Stern (AKA: Leader)
General Ross
Anton Vanko
Justin Hammer
Laufey
Loki
Red Skull
Arnim Zola
Thanos
Aldrich Killian
Malekith

Batroc
Winter Soldier
Alexander Pierce
Crossbones
Baron von Strucker

Ronan
Korath
Yondu

Nebula
Ultron
Yellowjacket

Zemo
Kaecilius
Mordo
Dormammu
Ayesha, leader of the Sovereign
Ego
Vulture
Shocker
Tinkerer
Scorpion
Prowler
Surtur
Skurge
Hela

Grandmaster
Ulysses Klaue
Killmonger

M'Baku
Ebony Maw
Cull Obsidian
Proxima Midnight
Corvus Glaive

Ghost
Sonny Burch
Yon-Rogg
Minn-Erva
Supreme Intelligence
Mysterio?

26/53 villains (I'm defining them as "characters from the comics that have been antagonists to our heroes both in print and on screen") still seem to be alive in the MCU, not including those introduced in the TV shows. Even if they didn't introduce new villains to fill the ranks, there are plenty to choose from for a 5-6 person squad of T-Bolts. It's also worth pointing out that a handful of the villains that were thought dead/done after one movie ended up returning later...

• 3 weeks later...

In this segment which we call "Rumor Round-Up", we attempt to round-up all the crazy MCU movie rumors that seem to hit the Internet on almost a daily basis. Granted many of these rumors have absolutely no basis in truth and seem to be passed around primarily for click-bait purposes. For most of these, unless stated otherwise we aren't really treating them as serious news, but we thought it might be fun to pass along in order to speculate about the "What Ifs" that might come from them. It should go without saying, but these rumors do lend themselves to potential SPOILERS.

For today we start off with a rumor that says Sony is planning on bringing Jessica Drew to the big screen as the original Spider-Woman. There is no question Sony seems intent on expanding it's Spider-Movie Universe, and Spider-Woman does seem like a obvious choice for a solo film. The only indication that this is something actually happening is based on a report made by a guy named Daniel Richtman who broke the news on his Patreon account. For those keeping track, this same guy reported last month that the Thunderbolts will be making their debut in the MCU sometime during the new Disney+ Falcon and Winter Solider series.

He also recently reported that Marvel Studios Is Developing Secret Invasion Series for Disney+.

On the Christian Bale front, a new rumor has surfaced on what character he will be playing in the upcoming Thor: Love and Thunder movie. Keep in mind that there has been no actual confirmation yet that he will actually be in the movie, only that there had been talks between the two parties. Anyway the new rumor is that he will be playing Marvel's ruler of the underworld known as Mephisto. This rumor stems from this artwork released by Bosslogic.

I had really hoped they'd get a Sub-Mariner movie out before Aquaman; knew it was not to be, because of all the licensing issues. Nevertheless Namor could be great, if handled properly. Frankly I never liked the idea of him and the Black Panther as enemies, so if that's not on the MCU screen I wont complain. The Sub-Mariner was Marvel's first superhero (along with original Torch), and he deserves a great premiere. A rich character that has so much more to bring to the universe than a contrived feud with Wakanda, but again if they handle it right, it could be a great story.

Namor_fan_art.jpg

1 hour ago, JayC said:

For today we start off with a rumor that says Sony is planning on bringing Jessica Drew to the big screen as the original Spider-Woman. There is no question Sony seems intent on expanding it's Spider-Movie Universe, and Spider-Woman does seem like a obvious choice for a solo film. The only indication that this is something actually happening is based on a report made by a guy named Daniel Richtman who broke the news on his Patreon account.

I'm not arguing the credibility or the rumor (I'm just not plugged in enough to have an informed opinion), but how in the heck is Jessica Drew covered under the Spider-Man-related characters movie license?

38 minutes ago, MonsterChris said:

I'm not arguing the credibility or the rumor (I'm just not plugged in enough to have an informed opinion), but how in the heck is Jessica Drew covered under the Spider-Man-related characters movie license?

She's spiderwoman. Doesnt matter if she has barely anything to do with parker she is still under the spiderman brand

19 hours ago, MonsterChris said:

She shouldn't be. She has no relation whatsoever to Spider-Man. Sure, she has the name and (somewhat) similar powers, but so does the Black Widow.

On the other hand if you're a fan of hers and want to see her on the big screen MCU, now you've got a shot.

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

She shouldn't be. She has no relation whatsoever to Spider-Man. Sure, she has the name and (somewhat) similar powers, but so does the Black Widow.

On the other hand if your a fan of hers and want to see her on the big screen MCU, now you've got a shot.

Unlike Black widow there was always special connection between Spider-People, for example  take 90s Spider GIrl (not MC2 one with May) series  where Madame web gathered both Spider Women for the series and then again in more recent  Spider-Verse, so there’s definitely far more connection there than with Black Widow and if Marvel/Sony want to do live action Spider-Verse movie establishing some form of connection between spider people in some spiritual totemic way is a good idea. 

10 hours ago, MonsterChris said:

Jessica has been pushed as a Spidey-character since Spiderverse where her powers are reveal to stem from the same totemic forces as Spidey

14 hours ago, Atlantis said:

On the other hand if your a fan of hers and want to see her on the big screen MCU, now you've got a shot.

Licensing arrangements for comic properties can sure get weird.  So if they get Jessica, do they get Hydra and S.H.I.E.L.D.?  Those're kinda big pieces to her story.  I doubt Sony would want to try to flex on Disney like that given the already tenuous Spidey situation though.  Tricky stuff.

6 hours ago, leokearon said:

Jessica has been pushed as a Spidey-character since Spiderverse where her powers are reveal to stem from the same totemic forces as Spidey

Yeah, I know.  I try to ignore it.

2 hours ago, MonsterChris said:

Licensing arrangements for comic properties can sure get weird.  So if they get Jessica, do they get Hydra and S.H.I.E.L.D.?  Those're kinda big pieces to her story.  I doubt Sony would want to try to flex on Disney like that given the already tenuous Spidey situation though.  Tricky stuff.

Yeah, I know.  I try to ignore it.

They could easily just create their own terrorist group and anti-terrorist group.

Ah yes, headcanon is always stronger than actually canon.

15 hours ago, SpiderS said:

Unlike Black widow there was always special connection between Spider-People, for example  take 90s Spider GIrl (not MC2 one with May) series  where Madame web gathered both Spider Women for the series and then again in more recent  Spider-Verse, so there’s definitely far more connection there than with Black Widow and if Marvel/Sony want to do live action Spider-Verse movie establishing some form of connection between spider people in some spiritual totemic way is a good idea. 

No, there was not "always a connection"; that has been retconned (spider-verse) because she wasn't part of anything to do with Spider-Man in the beginning. But its all moot now, because now she IS in it.  Also, keep in mind that the MCU isn't the same as the comics. I have to remind myself of that all the time!