Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Looses It's Director Scott Derrickson

JayC

Director Scott Derrickson has parted ways with Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness due to "creative differences." He posted the following on Twitter today:

"Marvel and I have mutually agreed to part ways on Doctor Strange: In the Multiverse of Madness due to creative differences," the filmmaker wrote on Twitter Thursday. "I am thankful for our collaboration and will remain on as EP."

Despite this, the movie is still slated with a May 2021 release date.

9 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

Well that’s not good news imo 

Probably not. Have to wonder if the conflict is mainly do with trying to tie the movies in so tightly with the Disney+ stuff. I am sure it was hard enough just keeping all the movies straight but now you have these shows. It can't be easy.

I cannot say I love the first movie he directed, and I also don’t think he was given creative freedom he wanted in that movie, there is almost no character development for the villain in that movie, seemed like really mcu generic, but I had high hopes for more horror esque sequel movie which he promised, and in light of that it seems little bit worrying, MCU has serious diversity problem when it come to what kind of movies they are making. And yes they did find the perfect formula that works but little more risk taking would be welcome. 

34 minutes ago, SpiderS said:

I cannot say I love the first movie he directed, and I also don’t think he was given creative freedom he wanted in that movie, there is almost no character development for the villain in that movie, seemed like really mcu generic, but I had high hopes for more horror esque sequel movie which he promised, and in light of that it seems little bit worrying, MCU has serious diversity problem when it come to what kind of movies they are making. And yes they did find the perfect formula that works but little more risk taking would be welcome. 

The biggest problem I had with Dr. Strange 1 was it was like Iron Man 1 but with Magic. Also the villains were very poorly development.

I had high hopes for what Derrickson could bring to the sequel, being a horror film and all that. But I understand how frustrating and complicated it can get for a director who has to fit their vision in place with so much more content. Let's hope whoever gets this job can figure out a way to balance everything out so that we get a better movie than Dr Strange was.

I see speculation here that the director just couldn't get his story in because of conflicts integrating with the Marvel Universe/Disney. I would caution against such thinking; there's no reason to conclude that especially in light of there aren't any facts to support it. It could very well be true, but we don't know so until we have more, its best to put a pin in it.

I would love for Dr. Strange to lean to more "horror". I'm sure there are other directors out there who can make this happen.

My hoped-for improvements to the sequel would be returning Dr. Strange to his original comic book outfit. Considering what they used in the first movie, I just cant see why the original costume wasn't used. Is he still going to have the Eye, after the events of Endgame?   Will we see more people from his supporting cast like Clea or Topaz? Is it possible Dr. Voodoo will make an appearance?

They have a lot of material to draw from.

Hnnn, that's a pity. I really enjoyed the first film. I'd guess that his desire to make a more horror themed film is likely the source of the creative differences with Disney. MCU still has to lean a bit more towards 'kid-friendly' at the end of the day, especially given the success of that formula with their main films thus far. If that really is the reason, I think a TV series would be a better way to explore the horror aspects of that mythos, maybe with Clea as the lead character. Any how, hopefully his replacement can still give us a good and entertaining film.

In all honesty if he left because they weren't going to let him make it some kinda horror story then I say good riddance. This should be a movie about tie-uping all the multi-verse mess left in the wake of Endgame. Now I don't really know what was meant by horror movie. Sure if you want to have some scenes that keep you on the edge of your seat thats one thing. But an actual horror movie just seems like would be totally out of place here. Bad enough they seemed to do that with the New Mutants movie. If you want to make a Marvel horror movie then get actual horror characters. The Blade movie would have been a much better choice for that sort of thing.

2 hours ago, JayC said:

In all honesty if he left because they weren't going to let him make it some kinda horror story then I say good riddance. This should be a movie about tie-uping all the multi-verse mess left in the wake of Endgame. Now I don't really know what was meant by horror movie. Sure if you want to have some scenes that keep you on the edge of your seat thats one thing. But an actual horror movie just seems like would be totally out of place here. Bad enough they seemed to do that with the New Mutants movie. If you want to make a Marvel horror movie then get actual horror characters. The Blade movie would have been a much better choice for that sort of thing.

Doctor Strange has been a character that pretty consistently dipped into the horror genre, especially during his stint leading Marvel Premiere in the 1970s, which was basically a Lovecraft homage that introduced Shuma-Gorath. He fights physical embodiments of horror tropes like death, pain, suffering; and constantly journeys to the usual planes of existence "beyond human comprehension." Even in modern times the character's stories have still been rooted in cosmic horror. If the villain of his second movie was going to be a bad guy with such straightforward name as Nightmare, there is no way it wouldn't be partly a horror movie. And the movie wasn't even going to be full-blown horror. Feige has come out to clarify the movie was simply going to be scary. It's not like they intended to make the movie something out of Stephen King.

5 hours ago, JayC said:

Let me be clear, I wasn't saying is should be a horror flick, but that it should lean in that direction; Dr. Strange needs to have a different aspect from the other Marvel superheroes. But I definitely agree with cleaning up the aftermath of Endgame. They never explained why he gave Thanos the Eye of Agamatto. And I think making it an infinity stone (time) lessens it powers; perhaps the sequel will have him get the actual Eye we're used to. Right now though all we've got is speculation.

4 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Let me be clear, I wasn't saying is should be a horror flick, but that it should lean in that direction; Dr. Strange needs to have a different aspect from the other Marvel superheroes. But I definitely agree with cleaning up the aftermath of Endgame. They never explained why he gave Thanos the Eye of Agamatto. And I think making it an infinity stone (time) lessens it powers; perhaps the sequel will have him get the actual Eye we're used to. Right now though all we've got is speculation.

He gave Thanos the Eye because it was part of the events that would lead to the heroes defeating Thanos.

Probably for the best. Before Doctor Strange his body of work wasn't all that impressive. A few good outings does not a great director make, especially if you had the backing of Feige and the Disney machine and a ton of psychedelic special effects helping out. He hasn't done many sequels, but the few he has done leave a lot to be desired. I'm confident Marvel will find the right guy to pick up the baton.