Could 2020 Be The Year Marvel Legends Gets The Haslab Treatment?

JayC

2020 is upon us and some Marvel Legends fans have been wondering if this is the year we will see a Marvel Legends item offered through Hasbro's crowdfunding site Haslab?

If you aren't familiar with what Haslab is, it's a program Hasbro started 2 years ago where they offer really big items for their various properties that normally would be impossible to sell through regular retail outlets. They offer these through a Kickstarter type crowdfunding site of their own creation which has been named Haslab.

In 2018 they offered Star Wars fans a really big Jabba's Sail Barge for the 3.75" Vintage Collection line, and last year they offered Transformers fans a really big Unicron toy based on the original Transformers animated movie. Both ended up being fully funded and have been or are in the process of being produced.

So that begs the question of what does Hasbro have planned next to offer through Haslab? Will it be a Marvel Legends based item, and if so what would it be?

For the first part of the question, we honestly don't know. Assuming Hasbro does do another Haslab item this year, a Marvel based one certainly makes the most sense to us. Marvel Legends after all do seem to be one of Hasbro's most popular action figure lines these days, if not the most popular.

Assuming the first part of the question is yes, then that begs the question of what specific Marvel item would they do? It would likely need to be something really big or complex. Would Hasbro choose to go the vehicle/playset route or would they go with a really big character action figure? Again we really don't know, but we have thrown together a Top 10 list below of the things we would certainly like to see. In all honesty we would rather see a big character as opposed to a vehicle, but we added some vehicles to the list just for fun speculative purposes.

10) The Fantastic Four Fantasti-Car
Fantasticar__scaled_600.jpg

While we would never want to deprive the first family of Marvel their transportation, we feel this one would be to limiting in appeal. After all you would really only be able to display your Fantastic Four figures on it. I also think this would be fairly doable at regular retail if Hasbro was ever so inclined.

09) The Avengers Quinjet
Avengers-Quin-Jet__scaled_600.jpg

If Hasbro decided to go this route, we hope they would give us the more classic comic book based design over the movie one. We would want to see the top lift off so you could fully access the inner workings of the ship. This vehicle we feel would have a wider appeal than the Fantasti-Car, simply because there are more Avengers characters to choose from to display in the ship. Still we think from a figure display stand-point this would end up being pretty limited overall.

08) The X-Men Blackbird Jet
X-Men-Blackbird__scaled_600.jpg

As far as basic vehicles go, this would be our preferred choice. There would be some question of whether they should go with the more classic look or a more modern one? Honestly we aren't sure which would be the better route, but we do feel this vehicle is more widely known and therefore have the most appeal.

07) S.H.I.E.L.D. Hellicarrier
Hellicarrier__scaled_600.jpg

The SHIELD Hellicarrier I think by far makes the most sense for vehicles. It would be the largest, and allow you to display the most figures on it. Perhaps they could even include a Quinjet with it. The real question in our mind for this one is, could Hasbro actually pull it off in the 6" scale? Even through Haslab I think this might be to massive to make affordable, and then their would be the whole space issue. Where would one keep such a toy?

06) The X-Men Danger Room
X-Men-in-danger-room__scaled_600.jpg

More a playset than a vehicle, this one if done right I think could be really cool. Not only would it be great for displaying all those X-Men figures Hasbro has made, but it would also just be fun to play with. The space issue might still be a factor, but if you did it in sectional pieces I think it might work.

05) Living Tribunal
Living-Tribunal__scaled_600.jpg

This guy would probably look cool decked out in all metallic gold with a floating multi-face head that featured eyes they light up. The main problem with this one is only the most obscure Marvel fans are likely to know who he actually is. Honestly the only reason we have him on the list is because we remember in an interview we did, Hasbro's Dwight Stall mentioned this would be one he would like to see made for Haslab.

04) The Celestials
Celestials__scaled_600.jpg

Unlike Living Tribunal, these guys have had a bit more exposure by briefly appearing in some of the MCU movies. It's also highly possible that exposure could increase with the coming Eternals movie. There is a number of different versions of these guys to choose from for variety as well. That all being said, we feel there are much stronger big character choices warranting the figure treatment out there for Hasbro to choose from.

03) Eternity
Eternity__scaled_600.jpg

Like the previous two choices, this cosmic being probably just isn't known well enough among fans to warrant the figure treatment. But damn, if done right we think this would make for an awesome looking action figure.

02) Master Mold
Master-Mold-Marvel-Comics-Sentinels-X-Men__scaled_600.jpg

While we have gotten mutant-hunting Sentinels before in the Marvel Legends line, they have never truly been in scale with 6" action figures. Granted even through Haslab it probably still wouldn't be done in perfect scale, but it could be close. If Hasbro goes the Sentinel route, then we think they should give us the head guy Master Mold, though we aren't quit sure which version of him would look best in plastic?

01) Galactus
Galactus__scaled_600.jpg

Our number 1 choice like the previously listed Sentinel has been done previously, but again not in true scale or even close. Galactus is the devourer of worlds after all, so we don't really expect true scale, but he could be really really big. Right now Galactus might not be quit as well known as the Sentinel, but we figure it's only a matter of time before we see him show up in the MCU where that would all change. Throw in his world eating machine and I think you could really have something here.

So that's our list. What character, vehicle or playset would you like to see Hasbro do for Haslab? Let us know below in the COMMENTS SECTION.

Haslab-Marvel.jpg

A S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier in 6" scale would be over 90 feet long. 🙂 Master Mold and Galactus are definitely the most likely, both needing only to be around 30" to be truly in scale. Galactus can grow in size, but is normally only around 30' tall. Sure, he eats worlds, but not with his mouth.

I think a diorama would have the least appeal of any of these ideas. The idea of paying an exorbitant amount of money for what's basically a backdrop that can be done much cheaper on laminated cardboard (reference may third party diorama's on the market) would be a sure fire recipe for a Cookie Monster level failure.

While transportation vehicles will hold a lot of appeal, I think a Helicarrier would have to be as big as a house to retain any semblance of scale where standing Captain America on the deck would give the image that he would be the size of Giant Man at the airport. I don't think you're gonna get that many people to fork out the amount of cash they'd be asking for something that looks like it's in a different place than the figures that one would want to display with theme (think McFarlanes DC Batmobile BAWhatever next to the figures).

If they do a vehicle my heart would be with the comic Quinjet, but my head says they would go with the MCU version because, well, it's the cash cow. I think both MCU fans and Comic fans alike would go for this one. As a bigger comic fan than MCU I would concede that I would settle for even the MCU version.

My biggest bet would be on an extra large character. I know a lot of people will argue that there would be a problem, similar to the Helicarrier, getting them into the right scale, but I will argue that most of the characters (on this list, at least) have all been shown to have the ability to change their size and appearance to interact with other characters in the comics. Given the limited familiarity of the Living Tribunal and Eternity and the fact that there might be a conflict as to which Celestial would be most worthy of the plastic treatment, I think the best bet at this time would be Galactus or Master Mold. With that, I would say that Galactus is going to be set up to be the bigger (pun intended) presence in the nearer future than Master Mold.

So my choice and my prediction is Galactus. Assuming Hasbro does the smart thing (don't hold your breath) and decides to go with Marvel legends this year. But, don't be too surprised is MMPR slips in and they do a Mega-Zord.

I'm with most people. Give me a character rather then a vehicle or diorama. I buy ML for the characters, having vehicles is just a bonus (unless the vehicle is a character like  Peter Parkedcar).

My biggest want of the list shown is any of the cosmic character who haven't gotten a figure yet, particularly the Celestials and Eternity.

48 minutes ago, monron999 said:

So my choice and my prediction is Galactus. Assuming Hasbro does the smart thing (don't hold your breath) and decides to go with Marvel legends this year. But, don't be too surprised is MMPR slips in and they do a Mega-Zord.

I was gonna say just that. I see them doing a Mega Zord over Marvel Legends this year still. But wondered which one, since the MMPR has already been done by Soul of Chogokin... how many people would buy it again? 

8 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

I was gonna say just that. I see them doing a Mega Zord over Marvel Legends this year still. But wondered which one, since the MMPR has already been done by Soul of Chogokin... how many people would buy it again? 

still having a megazord (that hopefully can transform and separate) to go with the Lightning collection would be an awesome thing. just imagine the original 5 being allowed to fit into the cockpits.

Didn't they make a fantasticar for one of the FF movies? feels like that could be tweaked and made to work for the new ML figures without going the haslab route.  Likewise, they could just re-release the marvel universe Galactus.  I feel like there would be easier routes to making versions of Eternity Living Tribunal, and Celestials, especially since they mostly just stand around and therefore don't need a ton of articulation.  Guess i'm just having trouble coming up with  something that would be worthwhile.  Keep in mind the Jabba Palace was for 1:18 scale, not 1:12.  But i guess we'll see what hasbro comes up with, and whether it will entice enough backers to get their proposal underway.

If it's a figure, then I would say Galactus will be the one that gets done. I would love Eternity though. 

If it's a vehicle, then I would be prefer a classic Quinjet. 

I could also see them doing a wearable item. I know we already have a wearable Infinity Gauntlet, but it's a bit clunky. Something more slick and elegant would be awesome. 

40 minutes ago, tarot said:

still having a megazord (that hopefully can transform and separate) to go with the Lightning collection would be an awesome thing. just imagine the original 5 being allowed to fit into the cockpits.

It would have to be MASSIVE, if it shipped to Mx I'd buy 2... jk just the one.

I've advocated for a similar project on this forum a number of times (I'm sure others have too), especially with the Danger Room and Avengers Quinjet. Not only would they be most recognized but probably most affordable. The Heli carrier would be fantastic, but really, how many customers could afford or display it?

A Danger Room set or Dr Strange's Sanctum as a set I think would be great; the Fantasticar could be done without having to go "haslab" on it.

But I'm thinking if it happens at all, theyd either go with something not on this list- the Sentinel (but not Master Mold) -or Galactus.

2e55cd16820815_562b1c3bb5576.jpg

6 hours ago, Atlantis said:

I've advocated for a similar project on this forum a number of times (I'm sure others have too), especially with the Danger Room and Avengers Quinjet. Not only would they be most recognized but probably most affordable. The Heli carrier would be fantastic, but really, how many customers could afford or display it?

A Danger Room set or Dr Strange's Sanctum as a set I think would be great; the Fantasticar could be done without having to go "haslab" on it.

But I'm thinking if it happens at all, theyd either go with something not on this list- the Sentinel (but not Master Mold) -or Galactus.

2e55cd16820815_562b1c3bb5576.jpg

Rather they just re-release the TB Sentinels again so the ebay sellers are stuck with their $200 ones. Make it a deluxe 3 pack repainted in their classic DOFP colors & include some laser eye & palm blaster FX beams. $149 price tag & I'd get 2-3 boxes of em!

6 hours ago, Hossman said:

I want Galactus too.

I would be happy enough if they just did one of those 36" rotocast figures of Galactus. Like those big Darth Vaders or Stormtroopers. Maybe just have arms preposed different.

I'd bite on that Galactus, for sure. He really doesn't need much articulation. For me it'd be a matter of scale, sculpt detail, and paint apps.

To be 1:12 scale he'd need to be approximately 29" tall, at least (based on some quick-and-dirty math). I'm pretty sure the rotocast figs you refer to were 31 inches tall, so that works. I would want some some swap-able parts – fists vs. gesturing hands, maybe interchangeable portraits (one neutral, one menacing).

If not Galactus, then I'd be down for something X-Men related at 1:12 scale. A Danger Room playset would be amazing, especially if it were modular/configurable.

Interesting. Personally, I can't think of anything ML related that would be worth paying Haslab prices. Maybe what @Atlantis and @Gigantor mentioned, a kinda three pack with sentinels and a bunch of effect pieces to spice them up a bit. 

In the case of a diorama type thing, although awesome, I can see why many would rather have something like this made by some dio-maker, which of course would be cheaper and personalized.

As for vehicles, I'm not sure I really want one. Sure there are some cool and rather iconic ones, but I don't really see that much people, or Hasbro themselves, investing in something they could release as a deluxe type box. I believe there was a 6" scale Tie Fighter from Star The Wars Black Series, don't really know how popular that was.