Could The Upcoming Morbius And Blade Movies Usher In An Era Of New Horror Themed Marvel Legends Figures From Hasbro?

JayC

Last week fans were treated to the first trailer for Sony's upcoming Morbius: The Living Vampire solo movie which is due out this coming July.

Sony isn't the only one looking to go in a bit darker direction with their Marvel movies. Marvel Studios themselves have announced a new Blade movie featuring the #1 Vampire Hunter himself as well as a new Moon Knight series for Disney+

Blade__scaled_600.jpg

MoonKnight__scaled_600.jpg

So could these new darker films that often dabble in the world of horror and monsters usher in a new era of 6" Marvel Legends figures based on those characters? Hasbro already in recent years has given us comic book versions of Moribus, Blade and others such as Brother Voodo, Man-Thing and various Ghost Rider figures.

Marvel_Legends_Spider-Man_Morbius__scaled_600.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Blade__scaled_600.jpg

Strange_Voodo06__scaled_600.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Man-Thing__scaled_600.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Rider-Series-Ghost-Rider__scaled_600.jpg

We are even getting a Cosmic Ghost Rider which is starting to hit shelves now.

Marvel-Legends-Cosmic-Ghost-Rider__scaled_600.jpg

But will we see more characters like those get the action figure treatment?

While you might not immediately associate characters such as Dracula, The Wolfman, Frakienstein and the Living Mummy with the likes of Marvel Comics, they are actually characters that have appeared in the Marvel Universe and even at one point or another have had their own comic book titles.

Tomb-Of-Dracula__scaled_600.jpg

Now I don't know exactly what kind of licensing issues come into play when you are talking about these characters, and perhaps making Marvel Legends action figures of them isn't possible? Marvel certainly didn't create these classic characters, but it's not unprecedented to see them in Marvel Legends form. Toy Biz back in 2006 released a 6" Marvel Legends boxset featuring Dracula, Frankenstein, Werewolf By Night and a Zombie. This of course was back around the time when the original Wesley Snipes Blade movies were super popular and had helped push the horror genre back in the spotlight.

Marvel-Legends-Horror__scaled_600.jpg

So now with the new upcoming movies coming from both Sony and Marvel Studios, could we see something similar from Hasbro and would you as a collector be interested in seeing it? What characters would you like to see Hasbro do for this genre, let us know in the COMMENTS SECTION!

Marvel_Legends_Spider-Man_Morbius.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Blade.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Cosmic-Ghost-Rider.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Horror.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Man-Thing.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Rider-Series-Ghost-Rider.jpg

Morbius-Movie.jpg

Tomb-Of-Dracula.jpg

There are few things I would love more than to have Hasbro do the Classic Monster figures in plastic form and mix them in with other Marvel monster type characters. I don't think the licensing would be quite that hard, or it shouldn't. Everyone is under the assumption that Universal holds the rights to monsters like Dracula, Frankenstein, The Werewolf and the Mummy, but those are all classic characters from classic literature or legend and Universal only holds rights to those characters in the image they created for them. The names given to them further delineate them from each other, such as when Universal did the original Mummy (not the 90's or modern versions) they simply called it "The Mummy" whereas when Marvel did it they called him the "Living Mummy" which should differentiate them enough to keep all the legalese off the table (the same would be with "Werewolf by Night" versus "The Wolf Man"), or they can just avoid it altogether and just call him N'Kantu. Of course, nothing would stop Universal, or anyone from making at least a partial claim to any property, but the burden would be on them to prove without a doubt that the product being put forth was theirs. I think between Marvel and Disney and Hasbro, they could change up the design of any character to make it clear that they did not steal the design from any source but their own.

20 hours ago, mako said:

Was there ever even really a question? I mean to date Hasbro has never "Not" done Horror characters, and rarely have they let a movie go by without an action figure tie-in.

I doubt it'll ring in an "era," but wondering if they'll make more monsters is kinda like saying "There's a new KFC store, I wonder if they'll serve chicken?"

Well if characters like Dracula, Mummy, Frekenstein or Werewolf were to show up in the movies I think there would be less doubt but otherwise I certainly don't think it would be a sure thing Hasbro would do them even if they are available to do.

I would love to dream that maybe finally we could dive deeper into the Marvel horror characters and receive figures from them, I think there is a strong chance with the Morbius movie coming out that we at least see a few characters pop up this year, but ushering in an era I doubt it, unless however this whole "superhero horror" movie thing starts really hitting and becomes and new trend, in that case fullfill my dreams of releasing many and all Horror oriented marvel characters

Marvel made the definitive Dracula with their Tomb of Dracula series, and I would love to see a figure with that in mind. I understand there's an "updated" version, but he's so removed from the iconic Colan/Wolfman character, he may as well be another vampire altogether. So yes please Hasbro make a Count Dracula from TOD, and make an "updated" one for the folks who like that too.

Man, don't get me started on how fantastic a live action Dracula, based on TOD, would be...too extreme for Disney+ but another company could pick it up....

Yes, they will probably do it, and yes, it would be very welcome! They would need a couple of more well-known characters to anchor each wave (The Blade movie wave would have that taken care of easily, of course), but it would be very welcome. 70s Marvel Dracula and Werewolf by night could most definitely use Hasbro updates, and a modern Dracula would also be welcome in another wave. It also might be an opportunity to pepper in some Marvel Zombies figures, maybe to anchor the waves better (I.E. Zombie Spidey in the Morbius-inspired wave). I'd love to get a Danny Ketch Ghost Rider with bike, but maybe 1990s Johnny Blaze, vengeance, and modern GR could go in some horror waves, too. I'm fine if we don't get a Leto-Morbius, since I have my doubts as to how great the movie will be (Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised). Since we have a great classic comic Morbius, I would love one based on the 1990s animated Morbius, in the long black coat. I feel like there are enough folks who watched that show growing up that it would sell well. 

9 minutes ago, mako said:

He also went full-on Bat-Creature on the show for a bit. Maybe they could do that as a build-a-figure.

Yeah! I would be totally up for a bat-Morbius BAF (and a new Man-Spider, but that'd be better for a Spidey wave)! On a side note, why hasn't Hasbro done a "retro" Spider-Man series? There are a ton of figures I would love to see with coloring and/or costumes inspired by the animated series.

18 hours ago, mako said:

YES! Absolutely! There were a bunch of characters with looks unique to the show. How have they not done this yet? If nothing else, it'd give 'em a chance to release that updated classic Spidey we've all been waiting for.

Hmmm, I may need to start a separate thread about that...

8 hours ago, mako said:

We really need a wave dedicated to the Howling Commandos. I'd say a boxed set, but I really want a Frankenstein's Monster BAF.

That's the thing with the Howling Commandos, so many big characters (Warwolf, Minotaur) that they'd have to dispersed over a few horror waves so there can be multiple BAF's. But yeah, Frankenstein's Monster should be the first one.