The Children Of The Atom Are Revealed

JayC

The new era of X-Men books continues this April with CHILDREN OF THE ATOM, a new ongoing series from writer Vita Ayala and artist Bernard Chang! This thrilling new team book will debut a new squad of super heroes that will turn the X-Men’s world upside down and you can get your first glance at these new young heroes in R.B. Silva’s stunning cover below! Further details surrounding the cast remain a mystery but it’s no secret that these teens have been inspired by your favorite X-Men. But don’t let their admiration fool you, their adventures will be far different and you won’t believe the twists and turns that await you from the very first issue!

Writer Vita Ayala is currently taking Marvel’s famous living vampire on a chilling journey in MORBIUS and is eager to bring their creative genius to the X-Men line with this brand-new ongoing series!

“The initial seed of the idea actually came from [Editor] Chris Robinson: What if the X-Men had sidekicks?” explains Ayala. “MY take on it became, what would actual kids from our current time be like, if they were X-Men sidekicks? What would Gen Z X-Men be like?”

Joining Ayala on CHILDREN OF THE ATOM will be Bernard Chang who, throughout his illustrious comic book career, has crafted stories for some of Marvel’s most iconic characters from Deadpool to the X-Men. Now, he’s using his legendary skills to create a brand new team of iconic Marvel Heroes!

“I have never known a world without mutants and the X-Men, and to be able to create characters that would become part of the canon is WILD. I love them very much. Bernard, Chris and I have worked so hard on them, and I was practically itching to let them out into the world so others could love them too,” said Ayala. "What makes the new cast special to me is that they are reflective of a lot of people I know who look up to what the X-Men stand for, and have taken it upon themselves to further those ideals. These kids are exactly the kids who, in real life, have posters of Storm and Wolverine in their rooms, who grew up seeing them as heroes and want to live up to that.”

Just who are these new kids?

CHILDREN OF THE ATOM #1
Written by VITA AYALA
Art by BERNARD CHANG
Cover by R.B. SILVA with colors by JESUS ABURTOV

Children-Of-The-Atom.jpg

image001(1).gif

I'm all for new characters, and I'll definitely read this, but I can't say I'm all that enthused about another intentionally derivative group of characters. Sidekick-inspiration or not, at least little Gambit, Cyclops, and Nightcrawler are pulling a little too heavily from the source material for my liking. There are plenty of classic sidekicks out there who have their own distinct styles. Batman and Robin, anyone? Tick and Arthur?

Anyone want to place bets on character names? I'm thinking Seraph, Marvel Boy, Balor, Dusktoddler, and Maneuver. 🙂

For the change part, that is natural. Unless your really really old, whatever version of X-Men you are most accustomed to is probably significantly different from a previous version. As for the forgotten part well I got no defense there.

On a side note, I have been re-watching every episode of the original X-Men animated series starting with episode 1 on Disney+ and man I miss that series. It makes me miss that time period not only for the show itself but the comics most those episodes where based on.

I also forgot about many of the random cameos the show had like War Machine and Punisher.

I have the final two episodes of season 5 to watch. After that I plan to move on to Spider-Man.

4 hours ago, leokearon said:

Wow another "next generation" of X-Men, who will be dumped in favour of the "next generation"

So true. What made the X-men so unique in the first place is the fact that they were so unique (and different). Now, with every writer and their mom "creating" a handful of "new" mutant characters it's overflowing the supply and demand chain. There's just too many mutants floating out there and each writer is trying to come up with a fresh new crop in an area that has been over harvested. Even after the HOM event, in which they attempted to reduce the amount of mutants in the Marvel Universe, there are still too many mutants in the comics, cuz pretty much every mutant of of any recognition got their powers back eventually, as well. We have to understand that the X-Men are the revenue source that carried Marvel (and comics in general) through some hard times in past and we should have all expected they would milk it for what it was worth once Marvel got back on the band wagon, but even I, the biggest X-Men fan you can find, am wondering how many freakin' books can they throw at us. And, like many have pointed out, the likeliness that any of us will remember anyone from this new squad in a few years is little to none. Not that I'm writing anything off at this point, and some of the current X-Books are looking pretty good so far, but my meter is already close to mutant burnout levels.

5 hours ago, JayC said:

On a side note, I have been re-watching every episode of the original X-Men animated series starting with episode 1 on Disney+ and man I miss that series. It makes me miss that time period not only for the show itself but the comics most those episodes where based on.

I also forgot about many of the random cameos the show had like War Machine and Punisher.

Gambit having memories of Ghost Rider is one of my favourite random cameos

• 7 months later...

The mystery surrounding CHILDREN OF THE ATOM will finally be answered when the previously announced series by writer Vita Ayala and artist Bernard Chang debuts this January. As the latest title to explore the new era of mutantkind following Jonathan Hickman’s House of X, CHILDREN OF THE ATOM will introduce a brand-new team of young X-Men characters. Inspired by their favorite mutants, these gifted youngsters will keep both the X-Men and fans guessing about who they are and where they came from. More than just mere sidekicks, the cast of CHILDREN OF THE ATOM will have a major impact on the world of the X-Men when they burst onto the scene next year!

“I have never known a world without mutants and the X-Men, and to be able to create characters that would become part of the canon is WILD,” Ayala said when the book was first announced. "What makes the new cast special to me is that they are reflective of a lot of people I know who look up to what the X-Men stand for, and have taken it upon themselves to further those ideals. These kids are exactly the kids who, in real life, have posters of Storm and Wolverine in their rooms, who grew up seeing them as heroes and want to live up to that.”

Discover the mystery for yourself when CHILDREN OF THE ATOM #1 hits stands in January.

CHILDREN OF THE ATOM #1
Written by VITA AYALA
Art by BERNARD CHANG
Colors by MARCELO MAIOLO
Cover by R.B. SILVA & JESUS ARBURTOV

Children-Of-The-Atom-1.jpg

Don't care if I come off negative or not. All this is is unimaginative pap that's been stolen from the works of far better artists and writers. When Len Wein and Dave Cockrum created the all-new X-Men, they didn't just rip off characters that had already been there. Mutants were rare, yes, but they weren't just limited to North America, or even worse, just the eastern seaboard- they were in Canada, Africa, Russia, Japan, Ireland. And they weren't junior versions of already established characters. 'Cause they were unique. 'Cause somebody took some time to actually imagine what mutants could be.

To be fair, I haven't bothered with reading X-Men for some time now, because poorly done, soap opera drama and the rest of the alt dimension, alt time, convoluted mess they pass of as story lines just don't do it for me. I know there are a lot of fans out there who love the X-Men so much, theyd have Marvel get rid of anything not related and re-name themselves into "X-Men Comics". Frankly I think its all overdone. But I will say this, its not about being resistant to change or being "old", its about good writing. Both Marvel and DC have forgotten that.

Who knows, it may turn out to be a very good book. Good luck!

On 1/18/2020 at 11:23 AM, leokearon said:

Gambit having memories of Ghost Rider is one of my favourite random cameos

I watched all the Marvel 'toons of the 90s, and I used to live for those "random cameos," X-Men on Spider-Man, Spider-Man on X-Men, X-Men on Fantastic Four, etc.

Bless their hearts, sometimes I think those old cartoons were the last time writers actually understood these characters.

12 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Don't care if I come off negative or not. All this is is unimaginative pap that's been stolen from the works of far better artists and writers. When Len Wein and Dave Cockrum created the all-new X-Men, they didn't just rip off characters that had already been there. Mutants were rare, yes, but they weren't just limited to North America, or even worse, just the eastern seaboard- they were in Canada, Africa, Russia, Japan, Ireland. And they weren't junior versions of already established characters. 'Cause they were unique. 'Cause somebody took some time to actually imagine what mutants could be.

To be fair, I haven't bothered with reading X-Men for some time now, because poorly done, soap opera drama and the rest of the alt dimension, alt time, convoluted mess they pass of as story lines just don't do it for me. I know there are a lot of fans out there who love the X-Men so much, theyd have Marvel get rid of anything not related and re-name themselves into "X-Men Comics". Frankly I think its all overdone. But I will say this, its not about being resistant to change or being "old", its about good writing. Both Marvel and DC have forgotten that.

This^ × 1000!

16 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Yea, don't worry I gave up on new comics after Jane became Thor which was a fine and fun run. I still read. I just go back and try to find fun story arcs in other section of the marvel galaxy.  Ron Marz run on the Silver Surfer is exquisite and could read blood and thunder multiple times. 

23 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

As an active reader, and one of the posters who would definitely be fine with replacing the Marvel universe with just X-Men, I still agree with your take on this (and I did back when it was announced too; see above). I hope it's good, but it just looks needlessly derivative.

37 minutes ago, mako said:

I watched all the Marvel 'toons of the 90s, and I used to live for those "random cameos," X-Men on Spider-Man, Spider-Man on X-Men, X-Men on Fantastic Four, etc.

Bless their hearts, sometimes I think those old cartoons were the last time writers actually understood these characters.

Yeah, those cameos were fun and I still spot ones I didn't spot before like Ben Reilly as an alternate Avenger in the X-men cartoon

If something runs for 50 years it's going to be repetitive and derivative eventually. It doesn't mean they are badly written.  A lot of the old stuff is absolutely cringe worthy if you read it nowadays.

I  mainly read indies now because I'm tried of the crossovers but I still read some Marvel. Current marvel titles that are great:

Doctor Doom

Amazing Spider-man

Immortal Hulk

Thor

Marauders

X-Men

On 1/17/2020 at 8:11 PM, RecklessEndangerment said:

Oh good.  Another batch of teen mutants that will be mostly forgotten within the next five years.

my thoughts exactly, *yawn* I feel like X-Men books are doing way too much right now, I can't keep track and lost the will to keep track, it's always "come see the new super x-men toddlerverse" "cyclops gives birth to baby honeyglazed ham mutant who will kill apocalypse and marry toad's secret daughter tadpole princess who dresses like a sparkly deadpool" ... nahh

10 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

my thoughts exactly, *yawn* I feel like X-Men books are doing way too much right now, I can't keep track and lost the will to keep track, it's always "come see the new super x-men toddlerverse" "cyclops gives birth to baby honeyglazed ham mutant who will kill apocalypse and marry toad's secret daughter tadpole princess who dresses like a sparkly deadpool" ... nahh

Yeah, like how many Next Generation X-men and Avengers are there now and the current Generation isn't going away

On 9/11/2020 at 1:11 PM, Atlantis said:

You may call it negative, I call it truth. No only is it tiresome, it's outright lazy and uninspired. These are not new characters, these aren't new ideas or concepts or inspirations. These are simply the same characters we already know and like that they just turned upside down and inside out in order to write I diversity. I'm all for diversity, but if you're gonna do it, do it right, with new characters and new stories. If it's really that important it will resonate with the fan base, but this crop of new "writers" heads are so filled up with social activism that they never learned how to actually write and create and tell good stories. When ideology takes precedence over actual ideas, that's when imagination is lost and you're no longer making good comics, but rather a buncha op-ed pieces with pretty pictures. It's a damn shame when a once good writer loses his skill, but I wonder if any of these new writers ever had any skill at all.

On 9/11/2020 at 3:20 PM, Inspection12e said:

If something runs for 50 years it's going to be repetitive and derivative eventually. It doesn't mean they are badly written.  A lot of the old stuff is absolutely cringe worthy if you read it nowadays.

I  mainly read indies now because I'm tried of the crossovers but I still read some Marvel. Current marvel titles that are great:

Doctor Doom

Amazing Spider-man

Immortal Hulk

Thor

Marauders

X-Men

I've been getting the new run of Spider-Man Noir, but the print is too small to read without glasses I don't have and don't need for any other comics I read. It's weird.

21 hours ago, Bluecomet said:

I thought this Atom thing was abandoned? I have really no interest on this...now I'm wondering if the new 'New Warriors' with Safe space will eventually be released...maybe 2021 with a bang!

Nope clearly delayed thanks to Mr. Virus. The New New Warriors is going to be released just not sure when