Taboo Of The Black Eyed Peas And Benjamin Jackendoff Introduce A New Werewolf By Night To The Marvel Universe

JayC

Taboo of The Black Eyed Peas will be co-writing a new Marvel comic series this April with Benjamin Jackendoff.

The pair previously worked together on a story for MARVEL COMICS 1000 that focused on Red Wolf and will now be teaming up with acclaimed comic artist Scott Eaton on WEREWOLF BY NIGHT. The series will introduce a brand-new Werewolf by Night character to the Marvel Universe in a story set in Arizona. The new Werewolf by Night will be a young man named Jake who will be dealing with the effects of a family curse while trying to protect his people. The events of the story will also be driven by the outcome of March’s OUTLAWED one-shot.

“We're going through a Native lens because of my Native American heritage,” Taboo told Comicbook.com. “I always liked storytelling from a native perspective. Although I was born in the city of Los Angeles, recently I've been really connected to the Indian country or to native communities to be able to be a service and help native youth, inspire them, especially when it comes to health and wellness, and arts and music. So we built our partnership knowing that when we create, we create through a native lens…”

“I think Werewolf by Night is such an interesting character, a cool character. His mythology is really dope, and it was such an exciting opportunity to be able to revamp a new mythology and tie it into Native American storytelling,” Jackendoff added. “That's really what got us excited because they were like, ‘All right, cool. We can take the Werewolf by Night brand and stay true to the genre of it all, the creatures, the monsters, the big stuff, all that, but tie it into Native American storytelling, into a Native American background and palette, but still make it a fun adventure story about a kid.’"

Warewolf-By-Night-01.jpg

6 hours ago, leokearon said:

Diverse Legacy character and tied into an event, sounds like a typical Marvel ploy. This will only work if he is very different to Jack

Like I've said thousands of times, if you wanna do some diversity then by all means do it, but create it. They kinda went halfway with this, similar to the way they're doing with the new X-Babies title, but hey, at least they're not retconning some established character and changing his entire backstory. It's a step in the right direction. I think Marvel is learning from past mistakes. Wait......Taboo.....the guy from the Black Eyed Peas? Maybe I spoke too soon. I guess C.M. Punk wasn't enough of a kick in the ayass. It seems like they are looking for some kind of unexpected success story like the Waterboy.

You guys are making it seem like they are killing off Jack Russel but by the looks of things they aren't. There will just be 2 characters with the same name. This is something Marvel have been doing since the Joe Simmons days. I mean currently we have 4 Ghost Riders, 2 Spider-men, 2 Hulks, 2 Human Torches, 2 Mr. Fantastics, 2 Black Widows, several Captain America at one point, dozen of Captain Britiains, a number of Black panthers and  Several villains that share the same name. 

This isn't like the case like Riri Williams and Foster Thor where they out right replace the character. Just a character that share the same name.

2 hours ago, monron999 said:

Like I've said thousands of times, if you wanna do some diversity then by all means do it, but create it. They kinda went halfway with this, similar to the way they're doing with the new X-Babies title, but hey, at least they're not retconning some established character and changing his entire backstory. It's a step in the right direction. I think Marvel is learning from past mistakes. Wait......Taboo.....the guy from the Black Eyed Peas? Maybe I spoke too soon. I guess C.M. Punk wasn't enough of a kick in the ayass. It seems like they are looking for some kind of unexpected success story like the Waterboy.

Agreed but Sadly a legacy character has a better chance of selling than creating a completely brand new character as you can leech of an existing brand.

2 hours ago, tarot said:

You guys are making it seem like they are killing off Jack Russel but by the looks of things they aren't. There will just be 2 characters with the same name. This is something Marvel have been doing since the Joe Simmons days. I mean currently we have 4 Ghost Riders, 2 Spider-men, 2 Hulks, 2 Human Torches, 2 Mr. Fantastics, 2 Black Widows, several Captain America at one point, dozen of Captain Britiains, a number of Black panthers and  Several villains that share the same name. 

This isn't like the case like Riri Williams and Foster Thor where they out right replace the character. Just a character that share the same name.

So far that's true, but there is nothing stopping them from either humiliating Jack, killing him off or put him on a bus. At the same time, Jack could appear in this book and have a major role.

2 hours ago, leokearon said:

Agreed but Sadly a legacy character has a better chance of selling than creating a completely brand new character as you can leech of an existing brand.

That's why it seems like they're making all the proper adjustments. Instead of outright changing characters, they're kinda piggy-backing on the recognition of established characters. It's more obvious with the X-Men as they mentor characters that are almost identical to them (in power set, at least), but they are completely different people. With WWBN it's a completely new character, and though Jack Russell is not all that recognizable (I'm sure they're bound to meet up at some time), the Werewolf is enough of a presence in the Marvel Universe that he'll be immediately recognizable. I like the fact that they created the diversity by bringing the Werewolf to the Native Nation, where they have strong legends and roots of Skinwalkers and such. This is an example of them doing things right. Now, if they can manage to take on all the social issues Disney claims to care so much about without being preachy or looking down their noses at us, that would be a real accomplishment. I'll admit I'm not really familiar with Taboo outside of music, but he is well known for his activism, so I guess we'll just have to wait to see how hard he goes at it. I'm gonna remain hopeful and I'll give it a shot out of pure curiosity but once the finger waging commences I'll be out.

4 hours ago, tarot said:

…. and I stopped buying comics as it all this started... now I just go back and read old 70's to early 2000's, stuff I haven't read yet. .

2 hours ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

…. and I stopped buying comics as it all this started... now I just go back and read old 70's to early 2000's, stuff I haven't read yet. .

Same here bro. I just stick to rereading my 70s-80s-90s- early 2000s comics collection. This multiples of every big name character by Marvel is a complete joke! White Hulk, Asian Hulk, White Spidey, Hispanic Spidey, female Spidey, male Wolvy, female Wolvy, male Thor, female Thor, White Cap, Black Cap, etc!  Freakin joke!  When's female Galacticia coming out? In the MCU FF movie?

9 hours ago, tarot said:

Right. I don't remember anyone having a problem with Bucky replacing Cap (don't get me started on how many Captain America's there were before the ridiculous Sam controversy- even the Red Skull bodysnatched Cap for a time), or the blonde Black Widow, the Crimson Dynamo, Union Jack, Red Hulks, need I go on.

There's nothing in this announcement that says Jack Russell terrier is being wiped out in favor of this new guy. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they end up having both werewolves cross paths.

14 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Right. I don't remember anyone having a problem with Bucky replacing Cap (don't get me started on how many Captain America's there were before the ridiculous Sam controversy- even the Red Skull bodysnatched Cap for a time), or the blonde Black Widow, the Crimson Dynamo, Union Jack, Red Hulks, need I go on.

There's nothing in this announcement that says Jack Russell terrier is being wiped out in favor of this new guy. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they end up having both werewolves cross paths.

Keyword - Replacing.

Not having two. Having two It dilutes the importance of the character. Which marvel has been  doing, sufficiently.

Fang  is long overdue as a ML figure as are all the core members of the IG. They make the leader but neglect his teammates. You can at least add Speed Demon & Night hawk to the ranks of the Squadron Supreme with their leader Hyperion & say that 3 members of that group are made. Dr Spectrum is such an easy Blizzard Repaint away from being a ML figure. 

21 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

Fang  is long overdue as a ML figure as are all the core members of the IG. They make the leader but neglect his teammates. You can at least add Speed Demon & Knight hawk to the ranks of the Squadron Supreme with their leader Hyperion & say that 3 members of that group are made. Dr Spectrum is such an easy Blizzard Repaint away from being a ML figure. 

If we get a Fang figure before a full Lilandra body that will be a smack in the face. 

13 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

Why? The Silver Sable buck makes for a perfect Lilandra body.  She's not a member of the IG & I'm specifically talking bout filling out the core rosters of the IG & SS.

Except it looks nothing like her. 

And why? you may ask. Well because I want a proper Queen of Shi'ar before i get a lackey. 

lilandra1.png

lil 2.jpg

lil 3.jpg

• 7 months later...

Taboo of The Black Eyed Peas will be co-writing a new Marvel comic series this April with Benjamin Jackendoff.

The pair previously worked together on a story for MARVEL COMICS 1000 that focused on Red Wolf and will now be teaming up with acclaimed comic artist Scott Eaton on WEREWOLF BY NIGHT. The series will introduce a brand-new Werewolf by Night character to the Marvel Universe in a story set in Arizona. The new Werewolf by Night will be a young man named Jake who will be dealing with the effects of a family curse while trying to protect his people. The events of the story will also be driven by the outcome of March’s OUTLAWED one-shot.

“We're going through a Native lens because of my Native American heritage,” Taboo told Comicbook.com. “I always liked storytelling from a native perspective. Although I was born in the city of Los Angeles, recently I've been really connected to the Indian country or to native communities to be able to be a service and help native youth, inspire them, especially when it comes to health and wellness, and arts and music. So we built our partnership knowing that when we create, we create through a native lens…”

“I think Werewolf by Night is such an interesting character, a cool character. His mythology is really dope, and it was such an exciting opportunity to be able to revamp a new mythology and tie it into Native American storytelling,” Jackendoff added. “That's really what got us excited because they were like, ‘All right, cool. We can take the Werewolf by Night brand and stay true to the genre of it all, the creatures, the monsters, the big stuff, all that, but tie it into Native American storytelling, into a Native American background and palette, but still make it a fun adventure story about a kid.’"

WEREWOLF BY NIGHT #1 hits stand this April.