Jump to content
JayC

Marvel Legends For 2020 - What We Know, We Think We Know And Kinda Know

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, leokearon said:

The Asgardians have been poorly treated and it would be great to see more done. Sadly for Thor he doesn't have as many iconic alternate looks as Spidey or Iron Man and Wolverine. Alsojust because you aren't happy that White Rabbit, the Stepford Cuckoos and Squirrel Girl got figures doesn't mean everyone is.

So are we considering 34 different Spider Man Video game costumes Iconic?  What about every time a bad guy becomes the good guy but only slightly alters the appearance of the hero’s costume and changes the color scheme to match their own costume (Doc Ock Spider Man or Dr.Doom Iron Man) is that iconic?  Was their a massive out cry for last year’s Wolverine where he looked like a 40 year old divorcee going to a Dixie Chicks concert with some gal pals from work?  Was that Country Music Chic Wolverine the iconic look that everyone needed to really pull their Legends displays together? 
I just feel like we may be a little overboard on some of these at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my Scream, Typhod Mary and Spider Ham for really really cheap because I didn't want to buy Carnage, Average Venom and Poison to build this figure, now I feel soooooo "smart" LOL. I totally will get it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

More Asgardians would be great.  In recent years they've done a lot of Thor characters but Heimdall, Warriors Three, and more alternate looks for the son of Odin would be cool.   I don't agree with the the complaints about the other figures at all.

By my reckoning, we've gotten classic Thor, classic Loki, Odin, Lady Sif, Beta Ray Bill, Malekith, Enchantress, Valkyrie, Ulik, Angela and Bor.  Plus Jane Foster Thor, unworthy Thor, young thor, allfather thor, and Stracynski Modern Thor... as well as Lady Loki (i'm pretty sure that's more than the 3 storm figures that have been made)   You being unhappy with some of hasbro's efforts doesn't negate the fact that the characters got a figure. And then there are other villains who first appeared in Thor like Grey Gargoyle, King Cobra and Absorbing Man. And all the mcu figs.

if you include the mcu figs, Thor has gotten at least one figure a year for the past few years.  Even ignoring mcu, he's gotten a decent amount of love from hasbro, with the 80th version being the one figure we were all especially waiting for.  But of course more would be welcome.

As far as Destroyer goes, i'd recommend the marvel select version, its great and probably bigger than a BAF version would be.

I have the Select Destroyer and honestly I don’t know that Legends could top it.

Its unfair to count MCU figures.  They don’t match in look or scale and a lot of people only collect one or the other.  Thor MCU figures are the only MCU figures I collect and honestly they are an after thought for me personally. 
 

It’s flat out wrong to lump in D-list villains that everyone passes around in ever Marvel title just because they happen to have appeared in Thor first. 
 

My actual point however, is two fold:

1. We seem to get one Thor or one Hulk for every 10 Iron Man or Cap figures.  I know X-Men is very popular and the people who started with that cartoon are just now getting to the disposable income portion of their lives, I know Spider Man will always sell more than anyone, but you will never convince me that Iron Man and Cap are 10 to 1 more popular that Thor and Hulk.  All I’m asking is that when Hasbro draws up that 5th Iron Man armor of the year- just stop step back and use that slot to give us someone else.

2. In the history of Marvel the Asgardians are really really damn important.  So when I see a Punisher who became Ghost Rider and took War Machine’s Armor before getting crippled and taking Prof.  X’s wheel chair in figure form I can’t help but wonder.....”Could that slot have been used for an Odin that isn’t a trash BAF with outdated hip joints and weird floating shoulder pads that are connected to absolutely nothing?”

Also, Jane Foster, Angela and Beta Ray Bill sort of aren’t technically Asgardians.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CAC said:

So are we considering 34 different Spider Man Video game costumes Iconic?  What about every time a bad guy becomes the good guy but only slightly alters the appearance of the hero’s costume and changes the color scheme to match their own costume (Doc Ock Spider Man or Dr.Doom Iron Man) is that iconic?  Was their a massive out cry for last year’s Wolverine where he looked like a 40 year old divorcee going to a Dixie Chicks concert with some gal pals from work?  Was that Country Music Chic Wolverine the iconic look that everyone needed to really pull their Legends displays together? 
I just feel like we may be a little overboard on some of these at this point.

Man, Everyone want Balder and the Warrior Three Marvel Legends, but let's be honest, they barely have appeared the past 10 years in the comics  (I do read Thor since 80s), I only remember Volstag in (Lady) Thor and the Warrior Three in Siege. Balder have been dead for years ... so, unless is a package like the Alpha Flight I don't see them coming in the future (wait for the movie maybe?)

U r right about those recent "iconic" costumes, everyone is tired of Iron Man, Spiderman (I'm waiting for bag man costume, sorry), Deadpools, Wolverines ... but they still SELL, is not Habro fault, at the end of the day this is a business. If a 55th spiderman costume sell more than three warrior figures together, everyone know what will happen. But hey, they still doing obscure characters that I personally want (White Rabbit, the Cuckoos, etc) so there is still hope!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CAC said:

So I read many different Marvel titles.  I can assure you that Odin, Heimdall and Balder are far more important to Thor (one of the longest running and most successful Marvel titles ever) than Caliban or the Cuckoos are to X-Men.  As a Marvel fan and reader I feel that your dismissals and assertions fail to land.  Caliban and the Cuckoos are literally background characters and I can speak to that because I know who they are, unlike you who does not seem to have a grasp of Marvel outside of your preferred titles (and probably only since the last 20 years).  Marvel existed long before the 90s cartoons, I promise you.

Also, what does “Cult” following mean exactly?  Squirrel Girl, Kamala Khan, America Chavez- they all have these elusive “cult” followings.  Yet their titles are cancelled and rebooted over and over again. I’ll tell you what it means, it means their books and figures don’t sell but for other reasons we have to continue to include them. 

While I'm all for the Warriors three and the rest of Thor's supporting cast, you can't deny the popularity of the X-Men, especially the 90's run. Caliban was a supporting cast member for years, sometimes as an ally, sometimes as a villain (like the BAF version). The Stepford Cuckoos are popular and help complete the modern version of the team circa 2012. They might not be any interest to you, but they've been on my list. 


And for the record, Alpha Flight had it's own series that ran for over a decade so it's easy to see why they would get a boxed set before the Warriors Three. Although I hope we do get a boxed set of Hogun, Volstagg, and Fandral soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Legender said:

Man, Everyone want Balder and the Warrior Three Marvel Legends, but let's be honest, they barely have appeared the past 10 years in the comics  (I do read Thor since 80s), I only remember Volstag in (Lady) Thor and the Warrior Three in Siege. Balder have been dead for years ... so, unless is a package like the Alpha Flight I don't see them coming in the future (wait for the movie maybe?)

U r right about those recent "iconic" costumes, everyone is tired of Iron Man, Spiderman (I'm waiting for bag man costume, sorry), Deadpools, Wolverines ... but they still SELL, is not Habro fault, at the end of the day this is a business. If a 55th spiderman costume sell more than three warrior figures together, everyone know what will happen. But hey, they still doing obscure characters that I personally want (White Rabbit, the Cuckoos, etc) so there is still hope!

Now I’m all for Bag Man costume because that actually is iconic. I’m harping on Odin, Heimdall, Balder, Warriors Three, Executioner, Mangog etc. because those are my personal favorites.  However, what about Dr. Strange?  That’s a rich and deep title.  What about a classic Power Man/Iron Fist? 
I’m pretty sure the Classic costume stuff sold great last year.  I just want to see more of that across the board and fewer of the exact same character.  Maybe we could limit Iron Man, Spider Man, Wolverine and Cap to 2 figures a year?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CAC said:

Now I’m all for Bag Man costume because that actually is iconic. I’m harping on Odin, Heimdall, Balder, Warriors Three, Executioner, Mangog etc. because those are my personal favorites.  However, what about Dr. Strange?  That’s a rich and deep title.  What about a classic Power Man/Iron Fist? 
I’m pretty sure the Classic costume stuff sold great last year.  I just want to see more of that across the board and fewer of the exact same character.  Maybe we could limit Iron Man, Spider Man, Wolverine and Cap to 2 figures a year?

 

I'm all for 80th Anniversary Dr. Strange, Power Man and Iron Fist and all asgardians that u mention, and yeah, let's hope they limit the common figures to only 2 suits per year, its not gonna happen though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Legender said:

I'm all for 80th Anniversary Dr. Strange, Power Man and Iron Fist and all asgardians that u mention, and yeah, let's hope they limit the common figures to only 2 suits per year, its not gonna happen though.

An extension of the 80th Anniversary line where we got Classic Comic designs would alleviate a lot of the complaining about character selection.  Just as long as Hasbro keeps Spider Man and X-Men characters contained within their own waves.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CAC said:

Also, what does “Cult” following mean exactly?  Squirrel Girl, Kamala Khan, America Chavez- they all have these elusive “cult” followings.  Yet their titles are cancelled and rebooted over and over again. I’ll tell you what it means, it means their books and figures don’t sell but for other reasons we have to continue to include them. 

True story. Preach, my friend. I think you can replace the word "cult" with three big letters that get thrown in our faces every day, all day.

I too tire of the same old go to "Cult Following" to reference failed titles and characters. The Ultraverse comic brand also had a "Cult" following. Where are they now? Raise your hand if you even remember what it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still hoping for a build a figure Mephisto. He's to me a glaring hole in my collection and deserves a figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SuperRecoome said:

I'm still hoping for a build a figure Mephisto. He's to me a glaring hole in my collection and deserves a figure.

I think it was touched apon a few years ago that someone at Hasbro said a "Devil" type figure would never happen in ML, but I think if Mephisto shows up in Doctor Strange 2, as many rumors are ringing out, Disney/Marvel/Hasbro may have a change of heart. Money is money, after all, and if you have some, they want it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yes! That looks great,  def getting that, I am glad they are releasing  monster  Venom with classic logo, I could see them doing that, I also wish they would release Rhino with new more normal face sculpt, which was also rumored like 2 years ago, maybe in 2 pack with Spidey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, monron999 said:

The Ultraverse comic brand also had a "Cult" following. Where are they now? Raise your hand if you even remember what it was.

I could be down for a few Ultraverse characters, and since Malibu comics was bought by Marvel years ago they could technically appear in the Legends line. Heck, a few Marvel characters were pulled into their universe during the 90's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CAC said:

Also, what does “Cult” following mean exactly?  Squirrel Girl, Kamala Khan, America Chavez- they all have these elusive “cult” followings.  Yet their titles are cancelled and rebooted over and over again. I’ll tell you what it means, it means their books and figures don’t sell but for other reasons we have to continue to include them. 

I think you've got some of your data wrong. Because Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel haven't had their series "cancelled and rebooted over and over again."

Ms. Marvel is arguably Marvel's most popular new character, and her series has only been relaunched two times since it started in 2014. One because of the line-wide Secret Wars revamp, and another due to a change in the creative team. It's worth taking into account that constant relaunches are Marvel's current marketing modus operandi on a global level. To put things into perspective, in the same time span that Ms. Marvel got relaunched twice, Spider-Mana and Hulk were relaunched three times each, and Iron Man and the X-Men four times each.

Squirrel Girl kept a title afloat for 58 consecutive issues since 2015, which is unprecedented nowadays. It was relaunched only once due to the line-wide Secret Wars relaunch, and it has only come to a close last November because her creative team decided to put a bow on it.

Out of the three characters you mentioned, America is the only one I'd argue has an actual following that could be considered a "cult following." She has her fans, but they're not nearly enough to keep the one title she had afloat. However, she's still a character that Marvel keeps present, and included her in books like Ultimates or West Coast Avengers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm happy we are getting this new Venom, but I have one complaint, I wish that it came with a different head, or at least had a hinged jaw that had the option of closing, just to give it a bit more of a differentiation then the BAF, other then the paint scheme, like they did with the SDCC Hulk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, joenubb said:

I could be down for a few Ultraverse characters, and since Malibu comics was bought by Marvel years ago they could technically appear in the Legends line. Heck, a few Marvel characters were pulled into their universe during the 90's.

Oooh.. I remember the Ultraverse. Fun times! I loved the Ultraforce comic for the hot minute it was around. I know the X-men journeyed to that universe to stop the Phoenix force. I think I still have the action figures in storage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, monron999 said:

I think it was touched apon a few years ago that someone at Hasbro said a "Devil" type figure would never happen in ML, but I think if Mephisto shows up in Doctor Strange 2, as many rumors are ringing out, Disney/Marvel/Hasbro may have a change of heart. Money is money, after all, and if you have some, they want it.

I've heard that too...no "Devils"

but we need em!!

I'd love Son of Satan and a classic comic version of SATANNA! MEPHISTO would be a great addition though I already have the compatable Marvel Select version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

I'm happy we are getting this new Venom, but I have one complaint, I wish that it came with a different head, or at least had a hinged jaw that had the option of closing, just to give it a bit more of a differentiation then the BAF, other then the paint scheme, like they did with the SDCC Hulk

i tend to agree, i think you'd be more likely to get people with the previous BAF to shell out for a new one that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Starlord67 said:

Oooh.. I remember the Ultraverse. Fun times! I loved the Ultraforce comic for the hot minute it was around. I know the X-men journeyed to that universe to stop the Phoenix force. I think I still have the action figures in storage. 

Nice! Hasbro could use the Monster Venom BAF mold to make a Prime figure as a first foray into the Ultraverse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, ADour said:

I think you've got some of your data wrong. Because Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel haven't had their series "cancelled and rebooted over and over again."

Ms. Marvel is arguably Marvel's most popular new character, and her series has only been relaunched two times since it started in 2014. One because of the line-wide Secret Wars revamp, and another due to a change in the creative team. It's worth taking into account that constant relaunches are Marvel's current marketing modus operandi on a global level. To put things into perspective, in the same time span that Ms. Marvel got relaunched twice, Spider-Mana and Hulk were relaunched three times each, and Iron Man and the X-Men four times each.

Squirrel Girl kept a title afloat for 58 consecutive issues since 2015, which is unprecedented nowadays. It was relaunched only once due to the line-wide Secret Wars relaunch, and it has only come to a close last November because her creative team decided to put a bow on it.

Out of the three characters you mentioned, America is the only one I'd argue has an actual following that could be considered a "cult following." She has her fans, but they're not nearly enough to keep the one title she had afloat. However, she's still a character that Marvel keeps present, and included her in books like Ultimates or West Coast Avengers.

Ok Millennial!

With Marvel movies essentially printing their own money the comic’s sales are almost at an all time low.  Comic shops nationwide are closing at a staggering pace.  Why is that?  Could it be that when kids an older former readers walked in they had these characters and Marvel’s attempt at social engineering crammed down their throats?  Continuing to force things like the failed push of Carol Danvers, totally fresh and original (insert ethnic/female) with an established character’s exact powers or in many cases their exact costume and name, or mentally challenged fat mammal girl.....is that all just a coincidence?

Guarantee the chipmunk Vespa figure won’t sell more than Spy Master

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

i tend to agree, i think you'd be more likely to get people with the previous BAF to shell out for a new one that way.

Yeah I mean, I built the BAF, and it felt pretty triumphant because for god sakes Spider-Ham was impossible to find when this wave came out, I had to break down and pay a wee-bit of a dumb price (and it was painful) but I needed that BAF, now this some what feels like a kick to the shin, I am going to buy this Venom (I want all things Venom), but it really would have made that cake sweeter if we got a new head that is all this guy is asking... and they could have done it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CAC said:

Ok Millennial!

With Marvel movies essentially printing their own money the comic’s sales are almost at an all time low.  Comic shops nationwide are closing at a staggering pace.  Why is that?  Could it be that when kids an older former readers walked in they had these characters and Marvel’s attempt at social engineering crammed down their throats?  Continuing to force things like the failed push of Carol Danvers, totally fresh and original (insert ethnic/female) with an established character’s exact powers or in many cases their exact costume and name, or mentally challenged fat mammal girl.....is that all just a coincidence?

Guarantee the chipmunk Vespa figure won’t sell more than Spy Master

What is it with people in this forum and going on tangential "old man yells at a cloud" rants after having their misinformation debunked?

Also, please. They're squirrels, not chipmunks. The rodent-themed hero who hangs out with chipmunks is Chimpunk Hunk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm excited for this Venom as I missed his BAF wave. I believe he goes up for pre-order on Monday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, CAC said:

I don’t care that Hasbro repaints figures.  I don’t care that they take existing molds and alter them slightly.  But Jesus how many how many Wolverine, Spider Man and Iron Man variations can we possibly get?  2099 Iron Man, Silver Centurion Iron Man and Space Armor (aren’t all Iron Man armors actually space armor?). Now it looks like we will be getting 15 versions of Beast (who is not even a top 5 X-Men character)? 
Thor is a major player!  He’s one of the Avengers holy trinity.  So why is Hasbro so opposed to making Thor and Thor characters?  Take the Alex Ross Thor and give me as many Thor’s as Iron Man and Wolverines.  I was Simmonson’s armored Thor, I want this new Galactus Herald Thor, I want Gold arm Thor, I want a redo of the Straczynski’s Modern Thor, I want that same costume but sleeveless like the 12” figure that came out a couple of years back. I want fur lined cape Nordic Thor from the “For Asgard” story, I want black and white socks from Esad Ribic in Blood Brothers, I want a redo of Thor God of Thunder!  I want Thor to get a fraction of the love that Iron Man and Captain America get.  Also, for the love of God we got an Alpha Flight box set and we can’t get the Warriors Three (comic version)?  We got a bunny rabbit girl who has appeared in what, 1 issue of Spider Man, but no Heimdall?  There is about to be a Spy Master warming the hell out of pegs all over the world but I don’t have a decent Odin?  There are Steppford Cukoos (WTF ever those are) and I don’t have a Balder?  We got a Caliban BAF....Caliban, but I don’t have Surtur, Kurse, Mangog, Executioner or Destroyer Armor?  Sweet Jesus in Heaven we are getting a Chipmunk girl on a Vespa (Ollie’s and Big Lots here she comes when Hasbro can’t sell more than 100 of that one) and I can’t get The Real Valkyrie on her horse?  By the end of this year we will have more costume variants of Storm than Asgardians!

I hear your complaints but Iron Man is a character who has all kinds of armors so its not surprising we'd see as many in his armory as Hasbro can make. Regardless, you need to bear in mind that what everyone doesn't have the same taste as you do. A lot of people are probably happy with the last Vision they did; I'm not because there are so many unnecessary flaws. Its a good figure, but maybe the improvements are coming (80th anniversary?).  Those Thor figures you mention will most likely be made. When, couldn't say, but Hasbro is eventually gonna have to produce them because theyre running thru many of the variants of the "mainline" characters they've done. I'm sure original Beta Ray Bill is coming, as well. Warriors Three, I don't know. I wouldn't count it out though. My best advice is, if you cant stand all the wolverines and deadpools, don't buy them and see it as money that can be spent on the figures you do want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Atlantis said:

I hear your complaints but Iron Man is a character who has all kinds of armors so its not surprising we'd see as many in his armory as Hasbro can make. Regardless, you need to bear in mind that what everyone doesn't have the same taste as you do. A lot of people are probably happy with the last Vision they did; I'm not because there are so many unnecessary flaws. Its a good figure, but maybe the improvements are coming (80th anniversary?).  Those Thor figures you mention will most likely be made. When, couldn't say, but Hasbro is eventually gonna have to produce them because theyre running thru many of the variants of the "mainline" characters they've done. I'm sure original Beta Ray Bill is coming, as well. Warriors Three, I don't know. I wouldn't count it out though. My best advice is, if you cant stand all the wolverines and deadpools, don't buy them and see it as money that can be spent on the figures you do want.

Agreed, Iron Man is an unlimited source. And with all the freaking MCU IM's we've been flooded with in the last 10 years, a bunch comic based IM's is a welcome change. There are literally tons of Iron Man armors and IM rogues and BAF sized armor villains they can work with. It's an untapped resource in comparison to what we've gotten in the Spider-Man and X-Men based lines. I mean, who'd have though after all the years Hasbro has had the license we have not seen one comic based War Machine (and no, that IM repainted Initiative War Machine doesn't count)? Also throw Thor, Cap and Hulk into that mix as characters who have similarly unused source material. As far as Wolverine and Mr. Pool, I can see why a lot of people are at max capacity on them. Everything we've gotten for them has been comic based, some good, most bad, if only for the fact that Hasbro didn't have a working arrangement with Fox to do movie based figures, though they would have been well within their contractual rights to do so. I suspect maybe Big Daddy Disney had a major say in that. Regardless, the times are changing and X-Men, Fantastic Four and Marvel Knights are about to have their time as the movie/television water carriers, which will in turn, allow them to do all those alternate and era based "Big 4" characters we've been missing out on.

Now that we've finally gotten Strong Guy out of the way this year, my next major push is for Team Joe Fixit. And he better not be just another damn repaint of the new Vintage Hulk. He needs a suit, and he needs to be smaller, and for the love of God Hasbro, give him some freaking guns. A lot of guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE