What are some of the most underrated Marvel Legends released in the past few years?

Hogun

There are a lot of figures in my collection that I really love, but seem to get a lot of hate from other collectors. There are some who are guaranteed to be very popular among us collectors, such as Beast (of which I own 3 copies of), Jim Lee Cyclops, Classic Colossus, Professor X, Rescue, Silver Surfer, Thing, etc. I want to highlight some potential (not necessarily) shelfwarmers that blew our expectations away upon opening them. 

Here is my personal list. Please list your's down below.

1. Infamous Iron Man. I have been a huge fan of this character since they made the announcement that Dr. Doom would be taking over as Iron Man. It was a great way to bridge one of Marvel's most popular properties with one of their now-lesser known properties. When they announced the release of the Invincible Iron Man figure. I knew they were going to use that mold for Infamous Iron Man. I almost bought one just to make a custom. If you want Magic effects and an unmasked Victor Von Doom headsculpt, then you must pick him up.

2. All-New All-Different Magneto. I have always wanted a Magneto figure. I only started collecting these in 2016. So, I was really happy to get my hands on this Magneto figure. It comes with a great amount of accessories that you could use with the Bishop figure released in the Sauron wave. The headsculpts are my favorite among the Magneto figures.

3. Erik Killmonger (Black Panther suit). Admittedly, I thought the figure looked dumb when I first saw it. After seeing Shartimus prime's review, I decided to give it a chance and it blew my expectations away. First and foremost, the figure doesn't look lean and blocky, unlike the Black Panther figure released in the same wave. Second of all, I like how the sculpts are ornate on the figure. It feels smooth. Although, I will criticize Hasbro for not continuing the sculpt on the figure's abs and not giving us a better cut on the neck.

4. IW Winter Soldier. Great body and sculpt. The gripes I have with this figure are: giving him an actual trigger figure, a beard and a better gun than as Shartimus Prime puts it "Hadron Noodler". I'm using the machine gun meant for Falcon.

5. Domino. Stop mitching about wanting a new Domino figure. This Domino is crazy stupid fine. It's Domino in her most iconic outfit. The headsculpt is perfect and even though the guns are left to be desired, they still fit her character perfectly. I am really happy with this Domino figure and I actually prefer it over the Cable figure released in the same wave.

Honorable mentions go to Bishop, movie Ant-Man and Wasp, Ragnarok Thor and Caliban (nobody asked for Caliban, and yet Hasbro still gave us one with great articulation)

12 minutes ago, Hogun said:

5. Domino. Stop mitching about wanting a new Domino figure. This Domino is crazy stupid fine. It's Domino in her most iconic outfit. The headsculpt is perfect and even though the guns are left to be desired, they still fit her character perfectly. I am really happy with this Domino figure and I actually prefer it over the Cable figure released in the same wave.

I agree. I've never understood the hate for Domino. This figure is great. It's not her 90s look, but it's certainly her most prevalent and iconic look, and they nailed it with the figure. That doesn't mean I don't think people should hold out hope for a 90s Domino. It would be great to complete the 90s X-Force, but it's still a great figure. I agree about Apocalypse-wave Magneto being the best figure for the character so far too, though I like three-pack Magneto fine, as long as I use only his angry head.

I was surprised by how much I like Deathlok and Skullbuster, as well as Blink and Caliban. I also really like renegade Cyclops from the Jubilee wave, and think it's the character's best costume, solidly translated to figure form.

I Honestly really like the Onslaught wave Captain America and the Red Guardian figure for some reason. 

I actually hope we get a Female Red Guardian for our OG Defenders (Yes the original Defenders are a better team than the new Netflix Byproduct). 

1 hour ago, Hogun said:

This Domino is crazy stupid fine.

Agreed.  That face sculpt is something else.  She's almost too pretty.

As for underrated, I feel like maybe Okoye Wave Sub-Mariner didn't get enough attention.  He's one of my personal favorites.  He's as classic-looking as they come.  Love the sculpt and the colors.  His trunks are textured with a metallic finish, which seems like an "of course" kinda thing, but you look at last year's Loki and know that it could have gone much worse.  (Man, I dislike that Loki...)  And he's got nipples!  I know it sounds weird.  I feel weird noticing it and harping on it, but I can't stand when bare-chested characters look like old Ken dolls - all smooth with no nipples or belly buttons.  It looks so wrong to me, like a hand without fingernails, and I can't figure out the sticking point.  Laziness?  Insane parents groups?  Anyway, he's ripped and he's got a great head.  I probably would've rather had a more alien-looking Silver Agey triangular Kirby (if not Everett) head instead of the bearded one, but I've got a solution for that: an Invaders 3-pack.  Hasbro could re-use so much sh!t and I would still buy two: 80th anniversary Cap with a new head, shield, and paintjob; Okoye Sub-Mariner with copper-colored trunks and a couple of new heads, one Golden Age and one Silver Age, that I could switch between my two figures when I wanted; and a repainted Johnny Storm Human Torch with new head easily gives us Jim Hammond.

7 hours ago, Hogun said:

Domino is one of my favorites ever and I will never stop pushing for a 90s Domino until it happens. I'm not settling for that dull, cute teenage-lookin Domino "in her most iconic outfit," which is nowhere near as rad as ANY of her older costumes. No way! 😇

But hey, the head piece is nice; I'll give you that. 🤷‍♂️

Oh and I would say Deathlok was a great figure that was overseen.

I don't know about the broad consensus, but I tend to underrate Silver Samurai. It's a figure that I look at and find immediately boring, then I pick it up and love it. The wrist articulation is brilliant. It's a large figure. The armor is nicely detailed. It's a cool figure that for some reason I only like when it's in my hands rather than on the shelf.

My Man-Thing is awesome. I wasn’t crazy about its mass when I first saw it but in hand i came to really appreciate its size and and textures. Grow up, I’m talking about the Netflix series BAF. 😂

Also really like Classic Ghost Rider. Even before the bike came along he was a fantastic representation of this character.

if you’ve seen some of my previous posts you know I am crazy over the Black Knight. Three helmets for three iconic looks. Added an extra Maddox head for a bonus unmasked goodness.

Carol Danvers Ms Marvel ( I think it was actually released as Warbird). Just a sleek, basic costume that sculpting and paint make her really pop.

Corvus Glaive. Not much for poseability but the sculpting detail is phenomenal!

Cannonball. I guess I mean the blast effect. Use that effect for Iron Man, Dr. Doom, Warmachine, basically any character that uses boot rockets. It has been the only redeeming part of this massive miss

Scarlet Spider (Kaine Parker)

-Just like the excellent comic this figure comes from, I definitely feel like everything Kaine has done lately is overshadowed by Ben Reilly, which I don't get.  In the figure's case it's on the superior Sunfire body with just enough interchangeable hands to make this figure great.  Would a pair of twipping hands and a head to match the Yost series have put this figure over the top? Sure, but it's a figure that's great to pose, of a character that needs more recognition, and that head sculpt is oozing with personality.  

Silver Samurai

-This one's just a great figure, the texture on the chest armor, the effect it brings to the red logo's paint, the crazy amount of articulation.  Had Silver Samurai come out in any other year he'd be topping people's lists, but being overshadowed by the 80th anniversary stuff definitely hurt him.  I constantly come back to this figure even though I know very little about the character, and that to me is the mark of a great figure.

Elektra (Classic)

-It's not that no one talked about this one, but rather that I don't think anyone talked enough about her.  She's sporting one of the most beautiful face sculpts that Hasbro has ever done and is head and shoulders above the other Elektra figures we've gotten.

Moon Knight (Modern)

- I feel like this one is a case of "it's not the classic so it's not that good", which is a real shame.  Marc is packed with all kinds of articulation that Hasbro rarely uses, tons of crescent darts, and swappable hands.  While this costume for me is my preferred Moon Knight look, I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but you can't fault the figure, it's excellent.  I can only hope that a classic Moon Knight will have as good of articulation as this one does.  

Mary Jane

- We've needed this figure forever, it fills an impossible void in the Spider-Man collection, and yet there wasn't much love for the figure when it came out or even now.  Say what you will about the headsculpt, I for one have been so thankful to replace my custom with this one.  

A few more as I am thinking about this post

Typhoid Mary. Amazing detail to her costume, great accessories and a beautiful face sculpt

Guardian. Another basic no frills uniform that just speaks to me. Love the grumpy face too

Retro Vision. Classic look, gives me that nostalgic feeling for our hobby. Slick little tease with the classic Ultron head too!! Haha so close!!!

Luis from Ant-Man. The figure that gives us hope that “if they made this guy they could make anyone”. 

Citizen V. Just a great design pulled off wonderfully in plastic form. 

I have so many figures I think people underrate that I absolutely love. here's a few I can think of off the head

Nico Minoru

Lady Deadpool

Deaths Head II

Gwenpool

Living Laser

Genis-Vell

Night Thrasher

Ex Nihilo

Jack O Lantern

Morbius

Enchantress

Thundra

Mockingbird

Puma

Blizzard

Lady Beetle!!

Every Serpent Society Figure! (I want all the serpent society, gimme!)

probably a lot more, those come to mind, in terms of they get no show of love but, I love em, I feel at this point I don't want to elaborate

• 4 weeks later...

This past week, I picked up the disco Dazzler figure from the Warlock wave because I found it cheap. I've never been a big Dazzler fan, but that's more from lack of exposure. I haven't read her original series, and her time with the X-Men during the Outback era is one of my least favorite eras of X-Men (yes, I know this is a minority opinion). So I had zero expectations for this figure, but... I #@$%ing love it! I just adore the sculpt, the bell-bottom pants over the silver plated roller-skates! That detail is awesome! The face sculpt and hair is pretty good. The cleavage and the necklace/medallion look terrific. So many fun poses and ways to play with this figure. Very surprised and delighted to add this figure to my collection.

4 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

This past week, I picked up the disco Dazzler figure from the Warlock wave because I found it cheap. I've never been a big Dazzler fan, but that's more from lack of exposure. I haven't read her original series, and her time with the X-Men during the Outback era is one of my least favorite eras of X-Men (yes, I know this is a minority opinion). So I had zero expectations for this figure, but... I #@$%ing love it! I just adore the sculpt, the bell-bottom pants over the silver plated roller-skates! That detail is awesome! The face sculpt and hair is pretty good. The cleavage and the necklace/medallion look terrific. So many fun poses and ways to play with this figure. Very surprised and delighted to add this figure to my collection.

Disco Dazzler is a fun figure. You can switch heads with the Vintage Dazzler and both look good with the switch. I also hope they reuse those bell bottoms. 

For me

Night Thrasher

Typhoid Mary

Nico Minoru

Elsa Bloodstone

IW Winter Soldier

Ant-Man (2 pack)

There are some head sculpts with paint apps that are amazing. Black Widow Infinity War and The Wasp MCU. This Black Widow seems like she was well received and she looks just like Scarlett Johansson. The Wasp MCU pegged warm hard and I was surprised. The head sculpt and paint app alone that looks like Lilly Evangeline are worth $20. She peg warmed hard and I've gotten extras on clearance. I now have a small Wasp army.

Other nice heads and figs worth noting are Jessica Jones Netflix, Punisher Netflix, Scarlet Witch TRU, Peggy Carter, Captain Marvel MCUs, Nick Fury (Cpt Marvel), Mary Jane Homecoming, Luis from The Wasp. I'm really disappointed that the Black Widow movie figures don't have that MCU shine and are comic book styled. Did Black Widow Infinity War cause a backlash that I'm unaware of? Why downgrade the MCU sculpting and paint app that was so good?

Other figures I love outside of MCU are Nico Minoru, Elsa Bloodstone, White Rabbit, and Stepford Cuckoos.

Collectively, these figures listed have drawn me into Marvel figures.

On 3/4/2020 at 8:35 PM, Cuckoos said:

There are some head sculpts with paint apps that are amazing. Black Widow Infinity War and The Wasp MCU. This Black Widow seems like she was well received and she looks just like Scarlett Johansson. The Wasp MCU pegged warm hard and I was surprised. The head sculpt and paint app alone that looks like Lilly Evangeline are worth $20. She peg warmed hard and I've gotten extras on clearance. I now have a small Wasp army.

Other nice heads and figs worth noting are Jessica Jones Netflix, Punisher Netflix, Scarlet Witch TRU, Peggy Carter, Captain Marvel MCUs, Nick Fury (Cpt Marvel), Mary Jane Homecoming, Luis from The Wasp. I'm really disappointed that the Black Widow movie figures don't have that MCU shine and are comic book styled. Did Black Widow Infinity War cause a backlash that I'm unaware of? Why downgrade the MCU sculpting and paint app that was so good?

Other figures I love outside of MCU are Nico Minoru, Elsa Bloodstone, White Rabbit, and Stepford Cuckoos.

Collectively, these figures listed have drawn me into Marvel figures.

I completely forgot about Jessica Jones. Her & Netflix Punisher are excellent, and the 2 of the best of the live-action stuff to date.

• 7 months later...

If I had to list underrated figures I'd go with the Beetle. The fully articulated wings, the hinged outer wings, the shimmering paint color choice, and the angular, shaped and contoured exoskeletal body armor, all show the amount of craftmanship and detail used to make the figure. You don't hear too many people praising it but its truly well done. 

Also, the Juggernaut wave Kitty Pryde. Finally, a figure where the more slender, spindly buck that's overused is now on a character where it belongs. Really liked the double strapped belt, the call back to the Xavier yellow and black school X-Men uniform, but most of all the face. Hasbro has been really upping their game on making excellent, more realistic head sculpts and faces for female figs and this was one of the first where I really noticed it. They should've articulated that pony tail, but otherwise this for me is an unsung hero. 

Not exactly an old figure, but this year's grey She-Hulk, I know it wasn't the one everyone wanted, myself included, but it really is a well designed figure that completely won me over.  

Going back further I'd go with Black Knight from 2018, I don't think it was talked up enough, the three heads alone gave that figure a lot of potential. 

Also the Ghost Rider with Hell Cycle set, even though it's a first appearance, and I'd rather see a more modern take on Johnny, that bike with all the fire and add-ons is excellent, one of the few MLs that I have out on display permanently.  

On 1/31/2020 at 3:29 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

I have so many figures I think people underrate that I absolutely love. here's a few I can think of off the head

Nico Minoru

Lady Deadpool

Deaths Head II

Gwenpool

Living Laser

Genis-Vell

Night Thrasher

Ex Nihilo

Jack O Lantern

Morbius

Enchantress

Thundra

Mockingbird

Puma

Blizzard

Lady Beetle!!

Every Serpent Society Figure! (I want all the serpent society, gimme!)

probably a lot more, those come to mind, in terms of they get no show of love but, I love em, I feel at this point I don't want to elaborate

That Jack O' Lantern is an awesome figure, especially with a Hope Summers cape, really bumps the aesthetic up to the next level.  I really like Living Laser too, the different effects and the translucent plastic come together great.