You collectors need to calm down

Hogun

Okay, we need to address a very important topic. It has come to my attention that when Hasbro releases a figure of a character whose powers involve igniting any part of their body other than their hands, collectors will throw a huge hissy fit no matter what. To give you guys an example, when Hasbro released the Human Torch as a Walgreens exclusive. It was a fully flamed on Johnny Storm. It made sense to release Johnny fully flamed-on. It will sell well for an exclusive and it came with a great amount of accessories. However, I hear collectors, such as BOOG nice 10 complaining about not having a depowered Johnny Storm and they had to customize one. Okay, fair enough. But this year, when Hasbro released their Fantastic Four wave and they released a depowered human torch figure with a different body mold and some flame effects. Making it the only Fantastic Four figure not to be a retool of the original Walgreens exclusive. You guys are still not satisfied. I have head some people complain about how boring/bland of a figure it is. That's what you get for wanting a depowered Johnny Storm. Cut Hasbro some slack. They listened and gave you the depowered Johnny Storm you have wanted. They also tried to make up for it by giving him some interchangeable flame hands and effects. You can't have a figure that can ignite at your own will. It would also look stupid to have a partially flamed on Human Torch. So either get the Walgreens Human Torch or get the regular release, if you can only afford one.

Another infamous example is Cannonball. I get it, Hasbro released a Cannonball figure with no legs and literally half the articulation. But you have got to give Hasbro some slack. It's not like Hasbro can just include a pair of legs as accessories on a 30$ CDN figure. Do you know how hard and annoying it would be to include and put on a pair of interchangeable legs on a 6 inch figure? If you had to build the Okoye BAF, then you would know.  Even if it was released as a deluxe pack, it wouldn't look appealing to the regular consumer, such s kids. So, Hasbro had a dilemma. Either give him legs or the power effect. Hasbro went with the latter because there is already a Cannonball figure with legs, but there has never been a Cannonball figure using its powers. So, Hasbro decided to play ball and gave us a Cannonball with a blasting effects but no legs. Come the X-Force wave's release date and collectors started bashing on the figure because it didn't come with legs. I'm pretty sure people would have bashed the figure if it was the other way around, especially since there is already a Cannonball figure with legs and no effects. This was a Xanatos Gambit for Habsro and a lose/lose situation for Hasbro. So, they figured they could at least give us something that hasn't been done before.

So to all collectors out there, in the future, please stop bashing Hasbro on characters whose powers involve changing a part of their body aside from their hands and/or head. Hands and heads are easy to include. Arms and legs on the other hand aren't. BAF's and multi-packs don't count since Hasbro can cheat due to the size of the packaging being different and/or because it's a BAF. Just be happy that Hasbro had a huge decision to make and they went with the decision which they thought would appeal to the majority of their consumers. Also, I'm curious to know what other characters, aside from these two, have their own figure figures in powered form, but collectors have asked for the depowered form. Hydro-Man is another that comes to mind.

I tend to agree that "showing power" is better than depowered, when it comes to figures.  That said, for your specific examples

A) Torch is sort of weird in that his flame on figure has an off color head so that he doesn't match his classic depiction in nearly every FF comic.  The depowered figure doesn't have the classic costume.  So classic fans will complain about one or both of these figures (even though its easy enough to cobble together a classic depowered Johnny using an extra Reed figure).

B) Cannonball not only has a lack of legs, but his effect really isn't all that impressive (its too short imo) and the figure has other flaws, mainly his arms have a pretty limited range of motion.  I do appreciate hasbro taking a chance on a legless figure but feels like the execution fell short. And i will note that overall, when it comes to hasbro's least popular figures, at least most of them represented an ambitious attempt to do something different (6-arm spidey comes to mind)

C) Hydroman is similarly a good idea whose execution was a bit lacking, mainly in that his powered arms have such a limited range of motion and make him so top heavy. That said, i still like the figure. And a depowered version of Morrie sounds like an awfully boring figure.

People mainly tend to post when they are super enthusiastic about a figure or if they want to complain about something.  Most people who are reasonably satisfied or 'meh' about a figure don't bother.  So often reading online forums can lead to mistaken impressions about how well-received a figure is by the larger collecting community.

Furthermore, a lot of posters on forums such as these are customizers who are naturally going to view every figure with an eye towards how they can improve it to match what they envision as the ideal depiction, so they are likely to comment on what they view as hasbro's inaccuracies or inadequacies.

Finally, many collectors also take acba pics and for such endeavors it is useful to be able to switch from a powered down version to powered up (and vice versa), so that's where some of the complaints come from.  If you are just doing a shelf display, i would imagine the powered up version would suffice for most people.

1 hour ago, Hogun said:

Okay, we need to address a very important topic. It has come to my attention that when Hasbro releases a figure of a character whose powers involve igniting any part of their body other than their hands, collectors will throw a huge hissy fit no matter what. To give you guys an example, when Hasbro released the Human Torch as a Walgreens exclusive. It was a fully flamed on Johnny Storm. It made sense to release Johnny fully flamed-on. It will sell well for an exclusive and it came with a great amount of accessories. However, I hear collectors, such as BOOG nice 10 complaining about not having a depowered Johnny Storm and they had to customize one. Okay, fair enough. But this year, when Hasbro released their Fantastic Four wave and they released a depowered human torch figure with a different body mold and some flame effects. Making it the only Fantastic Four figure not to be a retool of the original Walgreens exclusive. You guys are still not satisfied. I have head some people complain about how boring/bland of a figure it is. That's what you get for wanting a depowered Johnny Storm. Cut Hasbro some slack. They listened and gave you the depowered Johnny Storm you have wanted. They also tried to make up for it by giving him some interchangeable flame hands and effects. You can't have a figure that can ignite at your own will. It would also look stupid to have a partially flamed on Human Torch. So either get the Walgreens Human Torch or get the regular release, if you can only afford one.

Another infamous example is Cannonball. I get it, Hasbro released a Cannonball figure with no legs and literally half the articulation. But you have got to give Hasbro some slack. It's not like Hasbro can just include a pair of legs as accessories on a 30$ CDN figure. Do you know how hard and annoying it would be to include and put on a pair of interchangeable legs on a 6 inch figure? If you had to build the Okoye BAF, then you would know.  Even if it was released as a deluxe pack, it wouldn't look appealing to the regular consumer, such s kids. So, Hasbro had a dilemma. Either give him legs or the power effect. Hasbro went with the latter because there is already a Cannonball figure with legs, but there has never been a Cannonball figure using its powers. So, Hasbro decided to play ball and gave us a Cannonball with a blasting effects but no legs. Come the X-Force wave's release date and collectors started bashing on the figure because it didn't come with legs. I'm pretty sure people would have bashed the figure if it was the other way around, especially since there is already a Cannonball figure with legs and no effects. This was a Xanatos Gambit for Habsro and a lose/lose situation for Hasbro. So, they figured they could at least give us something that hasn't been done before.

So to all collectors out there, in the future, please stop bashing Hasbro on characters whose powers involve changing a part of their body aside from their hands and/or head. Hands and heads are easy to include. Arms and legs on the other hand aren't. BAF's and multi-packs don't count since Hasbro can cheat due to the size of the packaging being different and/or because it's a BAF. Just be happy that Hasbro had a huge decision to make and they went with the decision which they thought would appeal to the majority of their consumers. Also, I'm curious to know what other characters, aside from these two, have their own figure figures in powered form, but collectors have asked for the depowered form. Hydro-Man is another that comes to mind.

I agree on the Human Torch. I still would rather have had Cannonball with legs. I have enough flame effects I can make something work, Plus the cannonball effect is just okay. They could have made a rubber flame effect that wrapped around his waist and be used for other characters.  Again we all have preferences. People are jus stating their opinion, if they really didn't like it they wouldn't have purchased it. I'm glad you have Hasbro's back as I think they are really starting to try new things. I support their decisions regardless of my subjective opinion. 

I thought the best solution for Cannonball would be to include a sizeable (and maybe somewhat articulated) blasting effect display base that you can either slide the figure's legs into like a sheath, or that snaps together around the legs.  Yeah, he'd absolutely have to be a deluxe figure in this scenario, but I'd buy it if it was executed well.

The thing is there is no way Hasbro could appease everyone. A flamed-on Human Torch would always be preferred to a depowered Johnny, my only gripe is that I couldn't get it because it was an exclusive. Still I would prefer a depowered Johnny to a half-powered Johnny.

As for Cannonball, that was a mistake, not only does he have no legs but the blast effect is awful. They should have done it as a deluxe, Hasbro even said if they gave him legs he couldn't be a standard release, so don't do it, don't give people half an action figure, give them a Cannonball with both legs and effect and let buyers display it whatever they want, Toy Biz did Hydro Man with both legs and effects as general releases TWICE, so why couldn't Hasbro. 

Of course we do have a right to complain and state our opinions if we aren't happy about something. Yes hasbro have a lot of tough decisions to make, but that doesn't mean it is always the right one

2 hours ago, MonsterChris said:

I thought the best solution for Cannonball would be to include a sizeable (and maybe somewhat articulated) blasting affect display base that you can either slide the figure's legs into like a sheath, or that snaps together around the legs.  Yeah, he'd absolutely have to be a deluxe figure in this scenario, but I'd buy it if it was executed well.

The problem with trying to sell C or D list Characters as deluxe sets is that they likely will end up sitting on shelf until clearance only rise again on the secondary market.  Again, I personally would love this. But from the side of Hasbro, A deluxe figure of Mr. Fantastic/Spider-man/Hulk/Wolverine/Iron man/magneto/Dr.Doom/Thanos is more likely to be made and sell. 

Additonally, Comparing Toybiz to Hasbro is also an unfair comparison at this point. Inflation and prices are up. Not just on plastic, but most materials. You simply can't get what you used to for the same cost. And honestly Hasbro is using better, more durable plastic than Toybiz ever did. I truly believe my Hasbro figures will have tight joints for the next 20 years. Toybiz joint could be loose right out the package and I remember Toybiz being far more brittle. 

12 minutes ago, EUPHORICVIKING said:

The problem with trying to sell C OR D Characters as deluxe sets is that they likely will end up sitting on shelf until clearance only rise again on the secondary market.  Again, I personally would love this. But from the side of Hasbro, A deluxe figure of Mr. Fantastic/Spider-man/Hulk/Wolverine/Iron man/magneto/Dr.Doom/Thanos is more likely to be made and sell. 

Additonally, Comparing Toybiz to Hasbro is also an unfair comparison at this point. Inflation and prices are up. Not just on plastic, but most materials. You simply can't get what you used to for the same cost. And honestly Hasbro is using better, more durable plastic than Toybiz ever did. I truly believe my Hasbro figures will have tight joints for the next 20 years. Toybiz joint could be loose right out the package and I remember Toybiz being far more brittle. 

and yet the first ML deluxe was Archangel. Grant I have not idea how he sold, but it already showed they are willing to do deluxe figure based on lesser known characters.

Also comparing Hasbro and Toybiz is a fair comparison when it comes to engineering and yes materials prices have gone up, but so have figure prices, a 6 inch figure has nearly doubled, heck tripled in price which is way more that the cost of inflation, so personally I would expect value for money. Also you would think Hasbro would have learned after the 3.75 inch Hydro Man

While I think you have some valid points, expecting people not to complain on the internet about something is kinda like expecting world peace is going to happen. No matter what a company does, or doesn't do, there willl be those who don't like it. Its what people do on the Internet.

6 minutes ago, Hogun said:

C'mon man, I think you're taking the complaints way too seriously. I mean the entire basis of this site and forums is for the opinions of the figures that are being done and how they're being done and ideas on what coulda been done and what should be done in the future. There's a lot of theory as to whether Hasbro pays attention to this site and others, but Dwight and Tony have both been known to say they watch the boards, and no one can dispute that a lot of what comes up on these boards ends up showing up in the lines. It's a source for venting and finding out what other fans are thinking. If something is an issue here then it's most likely an issue shared through most of the fandom. There are as many people happy with the products as there are unhappy with them, it's just that the complaints stick out more because the happy people are happy so there's really no reason to accentuate it.

As for the issues you lined out, well they really are worthy of criticism. I think the whole Johnny Storm situation is mostly based on the body styles they chose for each figure. The first Walgreens figure was incorrectly done on the Bucky Cap mold which everyone pretty much felt was too "big" for the figure, then when they did the powered down version he was on the correct sized buck, which was available at the time they did the first one, and now they don't really match. Of course, this created the desire to have the powered on version to be redone on the correct sized buck. It only reinforces the fact that they used the wrong buck to begin with.

For Cannonball, man I don't think anyone can really make an excuse for what was done there. That was just a major swing and a miss. There was almost to many things wrong with it to fully explain. I know the intent was to make it different from the first version but that was the completely wrong way to go about it. First off, there's really no excuse they couldn't have foregone the BAF piece and probably made the blast effect smaller to allow them to include legs. Secondly, the blast effect itself was just wrong. It wasn't a blast effect as much as it was a "blast off" effect. It literally portrays the split second it takes Sam to blast off from a standing position to whenever he takes flight creating the prominent blast radius on the ground. Otherwise, it's completely useless for flying poses or action poses. It's literally about as useful as a McFarlane Color Tops figure from a few years ago. Thirdly, that blast effect was entirely too large in the first place. They actually could have given him legs and just included two smaller effects, one "blasting off" and one "flying" that covered the feet and lower legs for the amount of plastic they used on that giant blast effect to replace his entire bottom half. He is rarely shown in modern times, and only by certain artists with his entire lower body engulfed in flames. They could have met a comfortable medium between the classic look they were trying to meet and the more modern portrayal.

1 hour ago, leokearon said:

and yet the first ML deluxe was Archangel. Grant I have not idea how he sold, but it already showed they are willing to do deluxe figure based on lesser known characters.

Also comparing Hasbro and Toybiz is a fair comparison when it comes to engineering and yes materials prices have gone up, but so have figure prices, a 6 inch figure has nearly doubled, heck tripled in price which is way more that the cost of inflation, so personally I would expect value for money. Also you would think Hasbro would have learned after the 3.75 inch Hydro Man

Not really, a 13 year gap isn't quite fair. 

If you are going to make that comparison, you have to include Star Wars (black series), DC Icons, Ban-dai (Dragon Stars), DC collectibles, Mattel and now McFarlane, ALL who are giving you almost the exact same "value" for the same price. I say that marvel legends tooling, articulation and plastic quality/durability far exceeds it's competitors (at the same price/value) point. Additonallly I can still pick up Archangel for retail at Amazon, EE, Gamestop or big bad toystore. I would say he sold. But he also was released almost two years ago and is still in stock. Additionally if you are worried about cost and value, you can wait for 50% price cuts on amazon as I generally do with figures I can wait on. 

Another part of my argument is that Marvel select figures who clearly use more plastic and have less of a mark up on their figures have also had to increase their prices. I use to pick up figures for 22-24 after tax, now they have increased to 27.99. They do however include base and such, but are less likely to be discounted because the profit margins are less. If I was using your logic I would not have been able to find the patterns and trends in the market.

4 hours ago, Hogun said:

"... collectors will throw a huge hissy fit no matter what...for example Hasbro released Torch as a Walgreens exclusive. It was a fully flamed on Johnny Storm...But this year, when Hasbro released their Fantastic Four wave and they released a depowered human torch figure with a different body mold and some flame effects."

-Yes, people complained BECAUSE its a different body mold. Its a valid complaint. First of all the Walgreens Torch should have been on the smaller body mold in the first place; regardless, collectors who want to show a "transition" need to have the same molds. "They listened and gave you the depowered Johnny Storm you have wanted". No. They didn't. Bulked up yellow head Torch isn't the same as partially flamed regular sized Torch.

" Another infamous example is Cannonball.... Hasbro released a Cannonball figure with no legs and literally half the articulation...It's not like Hasbro can just include a pair of legs as accessories on a 30$ CDN figure"

-While I don't care for Cannonball, I know there are those that do, and bottom line, if you're going to do the figure, then do it right. They could have included a longer rocket stream effect, or even given it slight curves in different segments to more closely look like the character is supposed to look. Buyers had every right to complain about the lazily done item they wound up with.

-Overall I think the complaints expressed here are valid. Mainly because we know Hasbro can do and has done excellent, near perfect work in the past. That Colossus figure? The recent She-Hulk? 80th anniversary classic Iron Man, Rogue, Sauron BAF, comic book Mysterio- all works of art. Hasbro should be proud to have produced them and I am certain buyers are proud to have this level of craftmanship in their collections. We'd just like them to do it more often.

Would you prefer people not hold Hasbro to a high standard? I'm sure Hasbro wants the feedback, even if they'd rather people were happy. I get that they had good intentions with the Torch (both times) and Cannonball, but the implementations weren't thought through, or at the very least the execution was poor. I can't speak too much about the Torch because I'm not a 4 fan, but choosing to do powered-up when they were doing classic costumes and powered-down for the wave with the new, unproven looks is at least arguably a bad idea. And Cannonball just turned out badly. They wanted to do the big 90s lower-half rocket-blast that fully envelopes his legs, but ended up with this sad, tiny blast that was too small for his legs to even fit inside... because they made it out of solid plastic... which they did so he could stand on it... because he had no legs. It was just bad execution. Had they given him legs and a thin plastic blast effect that could snap on around his waist, everyone would've been happy. It's entirely possible that wouldn't have fit their cost requirements, but then arguably this wave wasn't the place for this figure. Hasbro does a lot right, but they don't deserve a pat on the back for half-assing a figure when they could've held off producing it until the proper implementation fit the budget.

Some valid points, but people will always complain, it's in their nature.  I for one am one of the few that is just fine with Hydro-Man and his always powered up arms, I wouldn't need one with regular arms anyways, certainly not to display.  Same goes for Cannonball, while I understand the complaint there, I don't need a powered down one for the shelf.  Lastly, I'll admit to being unimpressed with Johnny when the powered down one came out, but in hand, I like him, a lot actually, there's a lot of good there with the extra effects and hands.  My gripe with him, is that he's on a different mold, and I'd like to see consistency between figures of the same character, other than that, it's probably my favorite of the new suit FF figures.  

Im not always a “glass half full “ guy but this hobby doesn’t get me upset enough to complain with anger. Of course there are examples of when I’d rather have a different look for some ( F4 Byrne era please! ) but honestly I feel like Hasbro has proven that if we are patient enough they will listen and get us what we want. 

I wasn’t a fan of the Cannonball figure but I’ve converted his “legs” into blast effects for other flying characters. Also use Hydro Mans water effects for Namor. I’m always looking a new releases to see if there is something I can use even if I have no interest in that character

with the human torch you either get powered up or not. I thought the newest release was clever enough with the alternate flame hands and fire effects to kind of bridge the gap. In years past the only solution was to add fire effects directly to the mold and half on fire hair. I’ve never found that to be very ascetically pleasing so I’m glad to have flame effects as an add on

it comes down to the choices Hasbro makes and in my opinion they have mostly knocked it out if the park but without feedback on the misses they can’t revisit them down the road

9 hours ago, tarot said:

I think the yellow head things is a silly complaint as it is explained by a simple fact. It the only part of his body not in his uniform.

Unless you're joking, you must have never read a single copy of the Fantastic Four or any comic featuring the Human Torch for the past several decades. His entire form is one colour (usually red); his head isn't lighter because of the uniform. And this isn't the first time he's been depicted in action figure form, I don't care if you go back to the 80's, Toybiz, Marvel Universe, Hasbro etc.  He's never been shown with a head clearly lighter than the rest of him. Its about accuracy, and the yellow head doesn't belong. The walgreens figure isn't bad by any means, but its just not correct. It stuns me that there are people out there still trying to deny this or make excuses for it, when the evidence plainly shows otherwise.

torchh.jpg

meh, I honestly think it's cool to complain, because Hasbro needs to know what the consumer wants, and potentially they will hear the cry's, but once a product is out on the shelves what's the use, eventually if the figure warrants a variant of sorts, the likely hood is we shall get it, that's my thoughts, if not well that's that, I always liked the Powered up Torch (the yellowish head never bugged me, despite being inaccurate), I always thought the Hydro-Man was perfectly done as is, it's Hydro-Man who wants him powered down? what the hell kind of figure is that really?, The only complaint I have had is Cannonball, yes I am bummed out he has no legs yes, I do wish we got him as a deluxe with legs, but we didn't end of story, Hasbro knows we want the legs, let's see what happens.

it is what it is, Marvel Legends are awesome, collect what you like, or don't, don't like legless Sam, wait for legs or hold your peace

If everyone held their peace, Hasbro wouldn't know what worked and what didn't, and would keep repeating their mistakes. We may well get a legged Cannonball, but if we do, it will only be because we complained loudly. Me, I'm still holding out hope for a third variant on 90s Storm in the correct light gray colour. 🙂

57 minutes ago, Benn said:

If everyone held their peace, Hasbro wouldn't know what worked and what didn't, and would keep repeating their mistakes. We may well get a legged Cannonball, but if we do, it will only be because we complained loudly. Me, I'm still holding out hope for a third variant on 90s Storm in the correct light gray colour. 🙂

Exactly, you can't learn from your mistakes if you think you aren't making any