Teams that will never be complete?

tarot

Guardians of the Galaxy: Vance Astro was a nice surprise, even if he's too big (the Daredevil body buck is about where he should be). Also since Marvel Universe did Yondu, I was hoping we'd see him by now in Legends...but alas, its not happened yet. They'd probably need a new mold for Martinex, and a beefier mold for Charlie 27- somewhere between Cap wave Abomination BAF and Juggernaut size (but that basis could be used for a re-do for the Wrecking Crew). I'd give Star Hawk the Daredevil mold, with a metallic blue paint (like the scheme used for Nova, just lighter shade) and plug-in parts for his solar sails. Nikki, just use Blink body mold and some translucent fire for hair.

The other team I'm worried about is Inhumans. They did the heavy hitters, Black Bolt and even Medusa (though they need something to make her best feature- the Hair- stand out..instead of the blob of plastic we get). But where is Triton? They can do scaled body parts (Goblin, Cap) so whats the hold up? Gorgon? Put him on the Hercules or Kraven mold, give him some digitigrade legs (or least hooves) and youre good to go.  Karnak, just modify that Living Laser or the Leader, and viola. Toss in a WELL DONE Lockjaw BAF and some alt Medusa heads, and you have yourself a great 3 pack (Triton/Karnak/Gorgon), 4 pack with Crystal, or corrected Medusa in a 5 pack box set.  

And the Box Set is what gives me hope that these teams can get done. If you'd asked me this question a few years back, Alpha Flight would've been on my "teams that may never be complete" list. But now we have the AF box set and its spectacular. At about $80-100.00 or so this is a reasonable and affordable price, especially for figures that otherwise we may never see. This option could be the saving grace for completing these teams!

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 3:08 PM, tarot said:

The thing about the Avengers is, more then the X-men, F4, Defenders................well any team, is that you will be very hard pressed to find a big name characters that hasn't been an avenger at some point. It's the more obscure and hardly used one that will be a hard sell. Swordsman for instance, even though he seemed to be returning in Empyre, will be hard to convince people to buy. 

If we do get him, it should be a 2-pack with Mantis.

Agreed, its gonna be hard to "complete" a team like the Avengers, when the writers seem to think any and everyone in the Marvel Universe should be on the team. But when you have an utter loser like Swordsman there, the bar is indeed very, very low. I despised that fool, as was the writer's intention. And HOW did he wind up with Mantis?? Anyway if he's never made it wont disappoint me because I never saw him as needed to complete them. Better off dead.

Maybe for the Avengers, its better to look at completing the team based on era? You know, the Founding Members, Cap's Kooky Quartet, the 70s, Kree-Skrull war, etc.? What do you think?

13 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Agreed, its gonna be hard to "complete" a team like the Avengers, when the writers seem to think any and everyone in the Marvel Universe should be on the team. But when you have an utter loser like Swordsman there, the bar is indeed very, very low. I despised that fool, as was the writer's intention. And HOW did he wind up with Mantis?? Anyway if he's never made it wont disappoint me because I never saw him as needed to complete them. Better off dead.

Maybe for the Avengers, its better to look at completing the team based on era? You know, the Founding Members, Cap's Kooky Quartet, the 70s, Kree-Skrull war, etc.? What do you think?

I'm a Swordsman/ MANTIS fan but only because of the Celestial Madonna story line. Im looking forward to the new " Empyre" story line which will focus on the two of them a bit.  I'd like a two pack if them for history sake but don't expect it. My " Team of Choice" is the Perez/ Byrne era team of the big three plus Vision, Wanda, MS. Marvel, Falcon and Hawkeye. So for me anyone made from the team outside of those and Wasp/Hank Pym are just cake for me. 

In my opinion....we need a Korvak figure! I'm making one from Sentry but the saga was Awesome!!

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

Guardians of the Galaxy: Vance Astro was a nice surprise, even if he's too big (the Daredevil body buck is about where he should be). Also since Marvel Universe did Yondu, I was hoping we'd see him by now in Legends...but alas, its not happened yet. They'd probably need a new mold for Martinex, and a beefier mold for Charlie 27- somewhere between Cap wave Abomination BAF and Juggernaut size (but that basis could be used for a re-do for the Wrecking Crew). I'd give Star Hawk the Daredevil mold, with a metallic blue paint (like the scheme used for Nova, just lighter shade) and plug-in parts for his solar sails. Nikki, just use Blink body mold and some translucent fire for hair.

The other team I'm worried about is Inhumans. They did the heavy hitters, Black Bolt and even Medusa (though they need something to make her best feature- the Hair- stand out..instead of the blob of plastic we get). But where is Triton? They can do scaled body parts (Goblin, Cap) so whats the hold up? Gorgon? Put him on the Hercules or Kraven mold, give him some digitigrade legs (or least hooves) and youre good to go.  Karnak, just modify that Living Laser or the Leader, and viola. Toss in a WELL DONE Lockjaw BAF and some alt Medusa heads, and you have yourself a great 3 pack (Triton/Karnak/Gorgon), 4 pack with Crystal, or corrected Medusa in a 5 pack box set.  

And the Box Set is what gives me hope that these teams can get done. If you'd asked me this question a few years back, Alpha Flight would've been on my "teams that may never be complete" list. But now we have the AF box set and its spectacular. At about $80-100.00 or so this is a reasonable and affordable price, especially for figures that otherwise we may never see. This option could be the saving grace for completing these teams!

Medusa should've been given Barbie hair, or that bendy-wire hair that used to be used for Cabbage Patch kids and such.

But it's crazy there's been no Karnak, Triton, Gorgon, Maximus, Ahura, and no Crystal. 

They're never gonna finish Serpent Society either, IMO. They should've released a member in every other Avengers-themed wave.

7 hours ago, Atlantis said:

I'm a fan of classic Swordsman & hope he eventually gets a slot in an Avengers themed wave of as a 2 pack with classic Mantis. In the past decade & a half, anyone that has breath has been made an Avenger whether they rated the honor of not & that has cheapened the honor & prestige that used to come with being called "an Avenger".  Now it's like " who hasn't been an Avenger "? Aunt May might as well get a slot on the team. The Avengers used to be the military version of the Marines, " the few, the proud". Not anymore they ain't! Only Avengers I'm waiting on Hasbro to do & I'll have my Team set up are:

Yellowjacket- Classic Pym version

Antman- classic Pym version

Starfox - classic 80s version

Swordsman

Wonderman- classic 1st app version

Hercules - classic 70s & 80s version

TBH the Avengers were never that honorary with a lot of the crap they pulled and let slide like Starfox, the whole Pym abuse debacle and the whole letting Ms Marvel get sexually assaulted and being like nothing happened. Some garbage stories there. Should totally be retconned. 
ehh Swordsman ain’t all that bad he did help train Hawkeye, and did die to be reborn as a plant person and impregnated Mantis to birth the Celestial Messiah: Quoi who’s supposed to be fighting the leader of the Kree/Skrull Empire: Hulkling in Empyre. 
At least it ain’t Dr Druid loser ass died four issues into his book lmao
Plus the Avengers were just a team assembled of heroes to defend the world when they couldn’t by themselves, it’s not like they let a whole bunch of criminals join them, which they did. 

1 hour ago, Gigantor said:

I'm a fan of classic Swordsman & hope he eventually gets a slot in an Avengers themed wave of as a 2 pack with classic Mantis. In the past decade & a half, anyone that has breath has been made an Avenger whether they rated the honor of not & that has cheapened the honor & prestige that used to come with being called "an Avenger".  Now it's like " who hasn't been an Avenger "? Aunt May might as well get a slot on the team. The Avengers used to be the military version of the Marines, " the few, the proud".

The Avengers had their first line-up shake-up barely 16 issues into their existence, and their first new recruits included three ex-villains, with Hawkeye's entry exam being "look how well I can tie up your butler and untie him from a distance with my arrows." There was also that time Henry Gyrich made the team restructure because they were too many Avengers.

The Avengers have never been a closed-knitted elite. If there's anything I can take away from the Avengers and their membership, is the fact that you can pick any issue of their series since their inception, skip ahead 20 issues, and you will most assuredly find a new roster.

8 hours ago, nieman257 said:

Medusa should've been given Barbie hair, or that bendy-wire hair that used to be used for Cabbage Patch kids and such.

But it's crazy there's been no Karnak, Triton, Gorgon, Maximus, Ahura, and no Crystal. 

They're never gonna finish Serpent Society either, IMO. They should've released a member in every other Avengers-themed wave.

Given she is one of the most prominent Inhumans and was a memeber of the F4 and Avengers, I'm still surprised Crystal hasn't gotten a figure yet.

2 hours ago, Gigantor said:

I'm a fan of classic Swordsman & hope he eventually gets a slot in an Avengers themed wave of as a 2 pack with classic Mantis. In the past decade & a half, anyone that has breath has been made an Avenger whether they rated the honor of not & that has cheapened the honor & prestige that used to come with being called "an Avenger".  Now it's like " who hasn't been an Avenger "? Aunt May might as well get a slot on the team. The Avengers used to be the military version of the Marines, " the few, the proud". Not anymore they ain't! Only Avengers I'm waiting on Hasbro to do & I'll have my Team set up are:

Yellowjacket- Classic Pym version

Antman- classic Pym version

Starfox - classic 80s version

Swordsman

Wonderman- classic 1st app version

Hercules - classic 70s & 80s version

I would love to see Swordsman, not so keen on Mantis. Yeah the Avenger membership has gotten out of control, with anyone making anyone else an Avenger. I joked with my brother that Spidey would probably make the Prowler an Avenger so he doesn't have to pay Hobie back a tenner Spidey owes him.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 8:22 AM, leokearon said:

I think you mean Firestar

No, DC sold Starfire to Marvel because they already had a Starfire and were in danger of infringement which would mean they would have to sue, and take themselves to court. To avoid the embarrassment they got rid of her. So Marvel replaced Firestar with Starfire. Now Marvel has to go back to the Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends cartoon and swap out Koriandr with that sap, Firestar. They've already blocked the show but you can still get bootleg copies on the dark web and eBay. What a pain.

30 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

No, DC sold Starfire to Marvel because they already had a Starfire and were in danger of infringement which would mean they would have to sue, and take themselves to court. To avoid the embarrassment they got rid of her. So Marvel replaced Firestar with Starfire. Now Marvel has to go back to the Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends cartoon and swap out Koriandr with that sap, Firestar. They've already blocked the show but you can still get bootleg copies on the dark web and eBay. What a pain.

Given that Kory is one of my favourite DC heroines,  I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Here's a question: Hasbro's released both Captain America and  Sub-Mariner; they are both in the Avengers and Invaders. While we know there are Avengers specific waves, hence the team theme, there hasn't been an Invaders roll-out. Would you all consider these guys part of that particular incomplete team?

Hasbro could re-release the Walgreens Torch, give him a "face" similar to Citizen V, and we'd have the Original Human Torch which, along with Subby and Cap, give us the Invaders' core. They could then, using the Miles Morales buck, give us an all- new Bucky and a Toro.

Or is this too much of a stretch for the topic, teams that will never be complete?

49 minutes ago, tarot said:

@Atlantis better question. How in the name of all that is holy with all the human torches released over the year do we not have a jim hammond?! I mean easy head swap.

Wish I had an answer! But they could release him (as you say, too easy) along with Sub-Mariner and first appearance Cap (triangle shield) to give us a Golden Age box set or wave (then give me Destroyer, Blazing Skull , Vision, Toro, Bucky, Miss America, Baron Blood, Whizzer, U-Man and Warrior Woman).

It is baffling they haven't released him. At least in the 80 years anniversary line up. The Sub- Mariner and the Human Torch were Marvel's (Timely's) FIRST superheroes. What the Actual Fructose. Show some damn respect, Hasbro!

ww.jpg

The Avengers has rotating memberships but more often than not, it consisted of members that had gone on reserve duty but had been full time  Avengers previously. Once Bendis took over & destroyed the classic team to bring in his favorites who were all either solo players all their careers or still members on other teams, the team became a joke imo. It was all about how many A listers he could squeeze into the roster.  All about the mighty $$$!

14 hours ago, Gigantor said:

"... Once Bendis took over & destroyed the classic team to bring in his favorites who were all either solo players all their careers or still members on other teams, the team became a joke imo"

No, your statement doesn't match the facts. Hawkeye, Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch were "solo" and "members on other teams" way back in 1965 when Stan got rid of Thor, Iron Man, Ant-Man and the Wasp. Bendis wasn't even born then, so "destroying the classic team" wasn't something he invented, not by a long shot. I'm not saying I like all the lineups, but he certainly wasn't alone in shaking up the roster over the last 50 years. Anyway that's really a comic book issue, not an "action figure/teams never completed" issue.

7 hours ago, Atlantis said:

No, your statement doesn't match the facts. Hawkeye, Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch were "solo" and "members on other teams" way back in 1965 when Stan got rid of Thor, Iron Man, Ant-Man and the Wasp. Bendis wasn't even born then, so "destroying the classic team" wasn't something he invented, not by a long shot. I'm not saying I like all the lineups, but he certainly wasn't alone in shaking up the roster over the last 50 years.

I agree that many writers including Stan himself shook up the roster before Bendis, but  i wouldn't say any other writers began by adding  'ringers' in the form of the most popular characters in the line (Spidey & Wolverine).  Other than that i don't see any issues with his roster - he had a few classic members and a few of his personal favorites, plus adding characters he created, that's all fine.  

I don't particular care for a lot of his characterizations of said characters or bendis' writing on team books in general, but that's just personal taste and a separate issue.  

and  while there have always been hybrid teams like the Champions, we're now seeing a lot of  teams come and go that involved mixing and matching avengers, x-men, FF, GotG, etc. so its become a pretty standard "shake things up" move now,  sometimes successfully, so not a bad concept but i don't like doing that with characters like Spidey and Wolverine who are overexposed to  begin with - for them a guest appearance/arc should be enough. 

I mean Hulk, Thor, Iron Man were all solo players when they started the Avengers. Beast was on the X-Men during some of his Avengers tenures. Hercules was on the Champions and Avengers at the same time. Namor was on Deep-Six, Avengers and Defenders same points at time. 

43 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Never was a New Warriors fan, but I've collected some of their figures (and definitely want a Namorita). I wonder if that team will ever get completed. I find some of the characters to be a bit blah, personally, but I know the group is popular with a number of fans.

As a big New Warriors fan,  I would hope they are on the track to at least complete a majority, now with Rage (whom I want the figure solely because New Warriors) , we just really need to see Firestar (which everybody wants), Namorita, Justice and Speedball , that doesn't seem to hard, I can see these guys getting made soon enough. I think it would be a real longshot to say we'd get some of the later additions to the team like Hindsight, Turbo, Silhouette, Timeslip (just to name a few) but hey we did already get Darkhawk so maybe..

In terms of a current team I am almost satisfied with being "complete" would be Alpha Flight, I however would love if we could just get Marrina and I'd be cool because that would be the O.G's, but it would be a dream to also get Talisman, Diamond Lil, Box and Purple Girl , I'd take every member but... let's be real even the above mentioned are a tough sell I'd say